Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

High Quality Traditional Road Pedals???

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-04-17, 06:18 AM
jrporter

Bikes: TREK DS4; Motobecane Gran Premio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been out of the game for quite some time but would like to get back into road riding. I've tried riding with clipless pedals but my hips/feet tend to go outward to a great extent (think bowlegged but not really) so it's very difficult for me to use clipless pedals. Does anybody make a decent road pedal that is suitable for attaching toeclips? Did I mention that I'm 67 and very old school in my preferences as well? Thanks for any suggestions....
Old 10-04-17, 06:28 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
MKS and Wellgo make what you need.
Old 10-04-17, 06:42 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
MKS makes a traditional touring pedal

BUT you may want to look a BMX-style platform-flats that are used without toe-clips.

Last edited by BigAura; 10-04-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 07:04 AM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Curious - are you looking for something that lets you position your feet wider apart? IE higher Q factor - more distance between the feet?

Or is your question about being able to rotate your feet on the pedal to a comfortable angle? IE what sometimes gets called pigeon-toed or duck-footed?

Or something else? I'm not real clear on what exactly was wrong with the clipless pedals.
Old 10-04-17, 07:09 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
A few traditional/retro styled options here: https://store.velo-orange.com/index....ts/pedals.html

I agree with @BigAura, the wide/flat pinned pedals are much more comfortable on my feet at least than the old school styles. I've got bikes with both, the MKS style pedals just dig into my feet more. Someday, I'll stop being lazy and actually change them out.
Old 10-04-17, 07:16 AM
jrporter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
Curious - are you looking for something that lets you position your feet wider apart? IE higher Q factor - more distance between the feet?

Or is your question about being able to rotate your feet on the pedal to a comfortable angle? IE what sometimes gets called pigeon-toed or duck-footed?

Or something else? I'm not real clear on what exactly was wrong with the clipless pedals.
I've been told by physical therapists that my hips (and feet) rotate outward to a large degree so being attached to clipless pedals and having to possibly extricate my feet from them quickly is a very uncomfortable situation (and possibly dangerous one as well.) On separate occasions while trying clipless pedals, I was unable to turn my feet quickly when I needed to and fell over. Pedals with toe clips offer a modicum of adjustment and so my feet have a bit more flexibility as needed while still providing a certain pedaling advantage....
Old 10-04-17, 07:20 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
wellgo makes about a zillion different models,
their own and relabeled as other brands.

they got heavy bmx style platform pedals,
or lighter mtb platforms....problem is they
often put a lip in the front that the reflector
is recessed under, makes mounting toeclips
difficult.

this model no have lip. B158
flat mounting space for toeclips, and
removable pins on both sides.
large platform surface. 120*100mm

Old 10-04-17, 07:24 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
If you were going to continue with clipless, then go see a good fitter in regards to your cleat placement, angle, and specific brand of pedal you use.

I have left prosthesis, so I can't get out of any kind of clip that requires a lot of energy to do so, while moving. I also had to be aware of how my foot IS moving as the pedal goes round so I didn't unclip mid stroke. I started with Egg Beaters, and they remain my go to. I angled the cleat on one side so that my foot won't come out when I don't want, but with a quick twist I can be out, even moving now. SPD types didn't work well for me in that they held too well and I had difficulty getting out, even stopped.

As far as platforms, which I have personally come to enjoy a great deal, you typically will not find a better platform than the above referenced "Saint" or other MX style large pinned platforms. Several of the aftermarket pedal companies make good ones with replaceable bearings and pins...not that I have ever had to change any. I would also suggest that along with a set of pinned platforms like these, that you look into a set of shoes like Vans, Skywalk, Converse, etc (BMX/Skater related) footwear as they stick to this type pedal like glue.
Old 10-04-17, 07:26 AM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Ah, I see. Well, I'd put in my $0.02 for something like the Speedplay pedals I use (the old style X series) which allow a huge amount of rotation. I've noticed that my feet rotate a bit during the pedal cycle and I'm more comfortable with the low-friction Speedplays allowing that rotation, than with high-friction pedals that claim to have 5 or 10 or 15 degrees of play, but have so much friction that in practice there's no rotation at all.

I have problems with Speedplay the company (google their customer- and dealer-unfriendly business practices) but my body likes it a lot.

Back in the late Jurassic when I had traditional pedals with toe clips, I ended up with cycling shoes with slotted cleats, which make a tight interface with the back of the pedal and disallow rotation of any kind. The idea was they let you push forward and pull backward without pulling out of the clips. Pic below:

https://www.yellowjersey.org/CLEAT86.JPG

Just make sure you don't get anything like that, as that will eliminate your 'modicum of adjustment.' I just mention it since we're talking about clips and straps. I agree you might be better off with the pinned pedals and soft soles that mountain bikers seem to like on their gravity sleds these days
Old 10-04-17, 08:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I toured for decades, with steel Campag record, road pedals.. toe clips and straps, it let me wear loose fitting shoes with comfortable insoles.

With clipless shoes they fit tighter, or you potentially pull your foot out of the shoe rather than release its cleat..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-04-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 11:39 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jrporter
... On separate occasions while trying clipless pedals, I was unable to turn my feet quickly when I needed to and fell over...
Falling over a few times is a common experience for bicyclists new to clipless pedals. You have to learn to anticipate stops, as well as learn the motion needed to clip and unclip. This shouldn't dissuade one from using clipless pedals. I have had excellent service from Speedplay Frog pedals and MTB shoes as a walkable clipless pedal & shoe solution. Frogs permit a fair amount of lateral foot rotation when pedaling without the spring recentering force of other pedals.

There are a number of platform pedals with pins that will really keep you on the pedals without toeclips. Wellgo MG-1 pedals (~365g per pair) worked well for me. They offer a fairly large platform size and good traction with low weight and reasonable cost:

https://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_4_300.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-MG-1-M.../dp/B00E7UZ5OK

Old 10-04-17, 01:01 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
The MKS Sylvan platform pedal is a high quality pedal. I have used a pair for some time now, and have had zero problems. They are also serviceable while on tour if that is important. They have also released a slightly fancier model, the Sylvan Next, which has cartridge bearings and a high polish finish. I have recently bought a pair and can confirm they roll very smoothly and are a high quality item.
Old 10-04-17, 04:08 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 10-04-17, 04:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
2 grades of those ^^, premium is polished races, the other costs less..
Old 10-04-17, 04:15 PM
jrporter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great input. The pedals on my TREK DS4 are a Performance Bikes brand that are very similar to the Wellgo pedals. I really like them but I'd really like to use toe clips/straps on this new road bike and ordered a set of the MKS Sylvan pedals.....