Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I don't like the bicycle color schemes available

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 03:51 PM
Kimberley79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering a bike purchase but I don't really like the colors available. I like the fit of the bike but not the color. Although I can live with a color I don't like, for me, this is an important part of the enjoyment I anticipate from my new purchase. It's not just the feel, I also get pleasure from the look of the bike much like people enjoy looking at their new car. If I buy the bike for the fit, approximately how much will it cost to get it repainted? Will this void the warranty? Is there a way around this that I'm not seeing?
Old 09-07-19, 03:59 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I would consider powder coat. That is dependent on the material the frame is made of, steel or aluminum is doable. Depending on where you live it would be a minimum of $100.
Warranty would likely be voided. Either accept the risk or wait until it is out of warranty. By then you may come to accept the original color.

I personally would do it.
Old 09-07-19, 04:00 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
You could find a bike that is very close, practically identical, in fit, which looks more appealing to you. There are some fantastic looking bikes out there; unfortunately they might be significantly more expensive (and Italian, e.g. the 2018 Basso Diamante, in chrome-red, wow!).

For me, I will always choose the bike that I like to look at. Obviously, if it feels good to ride, that makes it look a bit nicer... but if your heart doesn't skip a beat when you look at it, then something is wrong.
Old 09-07-19, 04:17 PM
Kimberley79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I would consider powder coat. That is dependent on the material the frame is made of, steel or aluminum is doable. Depending on where you live it would be a minimum of $100.
Warranty would likely be voided. Either accept the risk or wait until it is out of warranty. By then you may come to accept the original color.

I personally would do it.
$100 is not so bad. How long is the warranty period in general? I'm considering a Specialized bike. I was also thinking of modifying it with accessories, like water bottle cages in a color I like, to make it more palatable.
Old 09-07-19, 04:24 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
A hundred would be a minimum. I had one done that was close to $300 but it was a 3 step job.

Warranty will be dependent on the brand you ultimately choose.

Accessories will not affect your warranty.
Old 09-07-19, 04:24 PM
Kimberley79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
You could find a bike that is very close, practically identical, in fit, which looks more appealing to you. There are some fantastic looking bikes out there; unfortunately they might be significantly more expensive (and Italian, e.g. the 2018 Basso Diamante, in chrome-red, wow!).

For me, I will always choose the bike that I like to look at. Obviously, if it feels good to ride, that makes it look a bit nicer... but if your heart doesn't skip a beat when you look at it, then something is wrong.
That's the only thing that's stopping me. Fit and feel is actually extremely important to me, I was just hoping to also get something I enjoy looking at. I've tried a Trek also, but the geometry was such that the small was too small and the medium, too large. I've looked online for comparable bikes and you're right, they're extremely similar, but I have a feeling that even if the fit is slightly off, it'll annoy me. I'm looking for comfort first and foremost. I guess I'll just have to go in the store and try some more bikes.

But yes, I do want my heart to skip a beat! lol
Old 09-07-19, 04:29 PM
Kimberley79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have to consider that it would seem like such a waste of money to have a brand new bicycle, repainted. I could see if it was used and beat up and I was restoring something that really would need to be painted, but in this case, no. It's too bad I couldn't order it custom painted in the color scheme I want directly from the manufacturer.
Old 09-07-19, 04:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Like you, bike color and appearance is very important to me. Either keep looking for a suitable bike you find appealing, or contact a local powder coater before you consider buying a color you don't like. If you do the latter, you really can have something special because you'll have a rainbow of colors and finishes to choose from. Truly one of a kind.
Old 09-07-19, 05:11 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimberley79
I like the fit of the bike but not the color. Although I can live with a color I don't like, for me, this is an important part of the enjoyment I anticipate from my new purchase. It's not just the feel, I also get pleasure from the look of the bike much like people enjoy looking at their new car.
Same here, I can totally relate. I got a new bike a month ago, but I bought used, meaning I liked the available colors a lot more.

OT but I'm in a similar situation with a pair of running shoes I bought recently. The fit and performance were (are) perfect, but the look is just what were you guys thinking? I'm wearing em right now, but I'm going to take a black sharpie to them pretty soon and make some changes. They could have been so much better if they'd just chosen different colors.
Old 09-07-19, 05:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Look up and down the lineup. Your bike may be available in a different color at a higher or lower price point. If it costs $200 more with better parts and more likable paint, that would be a deal compared to tearing it apart and getting a powdercoat.

there’s always DIY
https://spraybike.us/
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-07-19, 05:32 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I currently have a bike that I hate the color of but it's only temporary. Fortunately, the DW likes to paint so all I have to do is sand and prep and mask and she'll take her airbrush to it and make it look like a million bucks.
Old 09-07-19, 05:45 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
If you spend about 6 grand you can get a Project One Trek in dang near any color scheme you want.
Old 09-07-19, 05:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Don't get a bike that you don't love completely. Keep shopping!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-07-19, 05:50 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
How much a paint job costs depends on how extravagant you want to get in design, and how professional a result you want. Same as repainting a car--Maaco can do it really cheap--and it will look like crap in short order....same way rattle-canning a bike frame would be cheap--but look bad and not last. Getting paint to look good is 50% prep work and 50% application.

The other thing to know....to do this you have to strip the bike of parts and mask all bearings/threads. If you don't know how to strip/build a bike (and don't know someone you can bribe with beer), that adds another $$$ to the cost.

One color solid will be the cheapest, probably a few hundred bucks. When you start doing bi-color or tri-color you start going up in price. As others have noted--options also depend on what the frame is made out of

Kiss your frame warranty bye-bye.
Old 09-07-19, 06:28 PM
Kimberley79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
I'm wearing em right now, but I'm going to take a black sharpie to them pretty soon and make some changes.

😂😂 Hahaha!!! I feel the same way about my running shoes. I love the sporty look of Nike but...I'm wearing Asics.
Old 09-07-19, 06:28 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
$100 is not so bad. How long is the warranty period in general? I'm considering a Specialized bike. I was also thinking of modifying it with accessories, like water bottle cages in a color I like, to make it more palatable.
As soon as I read the thread title ...I knew it had to be a Specialized. They make outstanding bikes, but their paint schemes leave a lot to be desired.

I wanted to buy a new Roubaix Expert with Di2, Roval (carbon) wheels and the 2.0 Future Shock. Would have loved to shell out over 6 grand on one ...but didn't like the paint on either three. One, was halfway decent, but for six thousand bucks I want it to be EVERYTHING I want. Not just close.

Maybe the 2021 models will be better.
Old 09-07-19, 06:37 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Same here, I can totally relate. I got a new bike a month ago, but I bought used, meaning I liked the available colors a lot more.

OT but I'm in a similar situation with a pair of running shoes I bought recently. The fit and performance were (are) perfect, but the look is just what were you guys thinking? I'm wearing em right now, but I'm going to take a black sharpie to them pretty soon and make some changes. They could have been so much better if they'd just chosen different colors.
Classic
Old 09-07-19, 06:58 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Let’s go back to the 90’s
Old 09-07-19, 07:06 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Out of curiosity, which model is it?
Old 09-07-19, 07:34 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
���� Hahaha!!! I feel the same way about my running shoes. I love the sporty look of Nike but...I'm wearing Asics.
OK I'm laughing too because mine are also Asics.
Old 09-07-19, 07:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Done right, a wet paint job is not cheap. This is why so many people choose powder coat, although carbon fiber is not something you can powder coat normally.

https://joebell.net/pdf/JB_form_09-17_v2.pdf

https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/paint_custom.html
Old 09-07-19, 07:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
In my opinion frame warranty is good, but most of us will never use it.

on powdercoating, steel is easy they just sand blast it. Aluminum they have to chemical strip. Some powdercoat colors are 2 part, some single. single is less expensive. A steel frame , sand blasted, 1 coat $100 cheapest, that does not include tear down or rebuild.

I've had 2 bikes done. They say it won't ruin an aluminum frame but after, my aluminum frame feels dead.

It is awesome to have a personalized bicycle, if you go this route, I say buy used.

other wise if buying new, your money is better off buying a higher tier bicycle in a color you do like.
Old 09-08-19, 07:36 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
If you're not stuck on Specialized, some manufacturers let you choose your colorway, but it's special order. I'm thinking Trek is one.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 09-08-19, 11:37 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Let’s go back to the 90’s
Late 80s was the best - crazy looking fade and hip 80s decals all put on frames which were frequently still lugged steel. Centurions were some of the best for this!
Old 09-08-19, 12:40 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Or you can DIY with a $3 bottle of brush on Krylon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.