Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hybrid conversion. Questions.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 01:19 AM
delingren

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We got a roadie for my wife a while ago but she never got used to the drop bar and skinny tires. So we are thinking about converting it to a hybrid so that it'll actually be ridden. The bike is a 47cm Trek 1500 WSD, 2005. We have replaced the RD and cassette with Deore components and triple chain ring with a compact double. We are trying to reuse as many parts as possible. I have some questions regarding the work. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

1. Drive train: convert to 1x. Can we simply remove the FD and replace the chainring with a single? Do we need a clutching RD? My understanding is that the clutching is only for stability and it'll only be ridden on pavement, I suppose we can keep using the existing Deore RD? The cassette is a 9 speed, 11-34, if that matters.

2. Handlebar: convert to a flat bar with compatible shifter and brake levers. Assuming we can keep the RD, I suppose we can just get a Deore shifter. Brake levers should be easy. For the handlebar itself, a flat bar effectively reduces the reach by quite a bit, compared to a drop bar. Should we get a flat bar with some rise to make the riding position more upright? We are already at the top of the steering tube.

3. Tires: get some fatter ones. The stock tires are 650x23. But they look even skinnier than 23s. The frame and caliper brakes look like they can take something a little fatter, say, 30ish mm. Not sure about the rim. Without specs of the frame and rims (checked trek's archive, couldn't find much info other than brand of the rims), can I measure them to find out the fattest tires I can put on?

Last edited by delingren; 09-16-19 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 01:35 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Why did you swap out the rear derailleur? You could probably leave the drivetrain alone if your only concerns are for an upright sitting position.
Shifters for a flatbar that will suit your gears, short pull brake levers to suit your side pull brakes, and fit fatter tyres, you could probably fit up to 30mm width, but not all road bike frames will accept them, not all road bikes will accept 28mm either. This is the first thing you should figure out before you decide to do any modifications.
Old 09-16-19, 05:30 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by delingren
2. Handlebar: convert to a flat bar with compatible shifter and brake levers. Assuming we can keep the RD, I suppose we can just get a Deore shifter. Brake levers should be easy. For the handlebar itself, a flat bar effectively reduces the reach by quite a bit, compared to a drop bar. Should we get a flat bar with some rise to make the riding position more upright? We are already at the top of the steering tube.
You wouldn't need a Deore-specific shifter; any Shimano-compatible 9-speed shifter will work. The SL-M3000 is one I have good experience with, and it's available inexpensively. You'll want to use short-pull brake levers, to go with your current brakes. You can get a riser bar, or could consider other types of bars as well. Remember that reducing the reach (such as with backsweep) will also put the rider into a more upright position. You can also get a longer stem. Something like a Nitto dirt drop style stem would probably be longer than what you currently have and really get your handlebar up there.
Old 09-16-19, 06:10 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
You might already know this, but in case you don’t—most flat bar brake levers available today are long pull to be compatible with v-brakes. If you use them with caliper brakes, you don’t have much stopping power. You may have to look around a bit to find proper short pull levers.

with respect to whether to get a bar with more rise, that’s wholly dependent on the preference of the rider. Maybe take her to a bike shop where she can ride some bikes with different setups and figure out what she prefers. Or set up a relatively straight bar and try a few different stems with different rise.
Old 09-16-19, 08:24 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
We got a roadie for my wife a while ago but she never got used to the drop bar and skinny tires. So we are thinking about converting it to a hybrid so that it'll actually be ridden. The bike is a 47cm Trek 1500 WSD, 2005. We have replaced the RD and cassette with Deore components and triple chain ring with a compact double. We are trying to reuse as many parts as possible. I have some questions regarding the work. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

1. Drive train: convert to 1x. Can we simply remove the FD and replace the chainring with a single? Do we need a clutching RD? My understanding is that the clutching is only for stability and it'll only be ridden on pavement, I suppose we can keep using the existing Deore RD? The cassette is a 9 speed, 11-34, if that matters.

3. Tires: get some fatter ones. The stock tires are 650x23. But they look even skinnier than 23s. The frame and caliper brakes look like they can take something a little fatter, say, 30ish mm. Not sure about the rim. Without specs of the frame and rims (checked trek's archive, couldn't find much info other than brand of the rims), can I measure them to find out the fattest tires I can put on?
Chasing!

First figure out what actually fits. Then sell the bike you have as-is and buy a suitable whole bike after test riding several. By then maybe you won't have to guess about what tire width you want.
Old 09-16-19, 08:43 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts

1- Yes one can simply remove one ring from a double (or triple for that mater). Of course the ring bolts will need to be dealt with. No, a clutched rear der isn't needed. But removing the front der and it's cage might allow greater chain drop off the front if the rider is ragged or the terrain very bumpy. Clutched ders help reduce this.

2- As mentioned bar choice is a fit issue. Do know that MtB and road front drivetrain parts (from Shimano) are not designed to be compatible. This is why Shimano makes flat bar shifters that are road bike component specific.

3- Tire labeled size is only a rough reference to actual measured width. This has been rehashed many times in previous threads before. The fattest tires that will work are going to be far more frame/caliper dependent then the rim width. But the rim width will affect the measured tire widths. This is one area where one really will want to confirm any assumptions (drawn from measurements) by a trial fit. At work we offer our customers the chance to do such in the shop and before they spend $. Do you have a LBS that will let you do this? The Trek 1500 was made during the era od skinnier is better and thus to have their bikes not be buck consumer expectations (of skinny tires being faster, however right or wrong) Trek designed the frame and brake caliper clearances to be tight (just like that winning TdF bike that Lance what was his name rode). Andy

To add- The tire "size" you have are 650C. Note the C. This is an important distinction as these days when one mentions "650" they are likely talking about 650B. C has a rim bead seat diameter of 571mm. B's use 584mm. Totally different. Good luck finding 650C is wider widths. They have been made but are not common at all. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 09-16-19 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-16-19, 09:08 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
What is it about a drop bar that she does not like? If it's just being bent over too far, that could be remedied with an adjustable stem, which could be bought shorter than the current stem, and would allow the bar to be raised higher-something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-4-Axi...NT66MZNCSHKKD3 If she doesn't like road bike levers for braking and shifting, then you've got some parts swapping to do.
Old 09-16-19, 10:54 AM
delingren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by le mans
Why did you swap out the rear derailleur? You could probably leave the drivetrain alone if your only concerns are for an upright sitting position.
Shifters for a flatbar that will suit your gears, short pull brake levers to suit your side pull brakes, and fit fatter tyres, you could probably fit up to 30mm width, but not all road bike frames will accept them, not all road bikes will accept 28mm either. This is the first thing you should figure out before you decide to do any modifications.
We messed with the drive train when we first got the bike (used). Triple FD was too confusing so we changed it to a compact double. To make up for the lack of the smallest chainring, we got a cassette with a 34T cog. Not sure about now, but 34T was only available on MTB components then, hence the Deore parts. And the cassette and chains were due a replacement soon anyway.

But it looks like shifting is still too confusing and hard for her. She hates the front shifter. It's hard when you have small hands. So she ends up cross chaining all the time. Normally I don't worry too much about cross chaining but it's especially bad on this small bike (47cm).
Old 09-16-19, 11:01 AM
delingren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AeroGut
You might already know this, but in case you don’t—most flat bar brake levers available today are long pull to be compatible with v-brakes. If you use them with caliper brakes, you don’t have much stopping power. You may have to look around a bit to find proper short pull levers.

with respect to whether to get a bar with more rise, that’s wholly dependent on the preference of the rider. Maybe take her to a bike shop where she can ride some bikes with different setups and figure out what she prefers. Or set up a relatively straight bar and try a few different stems with different rise.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware that I need short pull levers. It looks like there are some options out there.
Old 09-16-19, 11:02 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I ride a triple with a wide cassette in the back and never go off the large front ring except when I'm futzing with it. I'd have just started with upright bars and suitable shifters, which are all cross compatible in 9sp. Leave everything else as is. My wife's bike is a hybrid and she stayed on the big ring too, except when I told her to shift to the middle while going up a long steep bridge. Now she rides in the middle all the time.

Upright bar thumb shifters are a lot easier to shift than even brifters. My 10sp Deore/XT setup shifts with a very light touch.
Old 09-16-19, 11:30 AM
delingren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
1- Yes one can simply remove one ring from a double (or triple for that mater). Of course the ring bolts will need to be dealt with. No, a clutched rear der isn't needed. But removing the front der and it's cage might allow greater chain drop off the front if the rider is ragged or the terrain very bumpy. Clutched ders help reduce this.

2- As mentioned bar choice is a fit issue. Do know that MtB and road front drivetrain parts (from Shimano) are not designed to be compatible. This is why Shimano makes flat bar shifters that are road bike component specific.

3- Tire labeled size is only a rough reference to actual measured width. This has been rehashed many times in previous threads before. The fattest tires that will work are going to be far more frame/caliper dependent then the rim width. But the rim width will affect the measured tire widths. This is one area where one really will want to confirm any assumptions (drawn from measurements) by a trial fit. At work we offer our customers the chance to do such in the shop and before they spend $. Do you have a LBS that will let you do this? The Trek 1500 was made during the era od skinnier is better and thus to have their bikes not be buck consumer expectations (of skinny tires being faster, however right or wrong) Trek designed the frame and brake caliper clearances to be tight (just like that winning TdF bike that Lance what was his name rode). Andy

To add- The tire "size" you have are 650C. Note the C. This is an important distinction as these days when one mentions "650" they are likely talking about 650B. C has a rim bead seat diameter of 571mm. B's use 584mm. Totally different. Good luck finding 650C is wider widths. They have been made but are not common at all. Andy
Huh, thanks! I wasn't even aware of 650B. When it comes to bike parts, the standards are as clear as mud, lol. Yeah, you're right, there are not too many choices for 650c. Terry makes a 28x571, and that might be the only option. BTW, tubes have a much higher tolerance, right? I guess I can just put a 27" tube in a 650c tire?
Old 09-16-19, 11:32 AM
delingren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
Now she rides in the middle all the time.
lol
Old 09-16-19, 02:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
BTW, tubes have a much higher tolerance, right? I guess I can just put a 27" tube in a 650c tire?
Tubes do, but that's probably stretching it (pardon the pun). A "27 inch" wheel is 630mm in diameter (bead seat). A "650c" wheel is 571mm in diameter. I would think that using a "27 inch" tube in a "650c" wheel would leave a lot of bunched-up material somewhere. A better solution is probably using a "26 inch" tube (those wheels are 559mm in diameter). You could get a tube for a "26x1.0" tire or something similar and that should work. Ideally, it'll also be marked "559mm". If you buy something for a "26 inch" tire, make sure the second number is a decimal. "26 x something_with_a_fraction" is yet another diameter.
Old 09-16-19, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
n-1+n+1=happy wife
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-16-19, 03:45 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
n-1+n+1=happy wife
Since it looks like OP is going to change everything on this bike but the paint job, (provided he can find wider 571 tires, if the frame even has room for something like that)

Might be better to find a suitable 26" bike 1x it, and put it on slicks, since it'll already come with most of the components you need. (you'll actually just be removing some extra stuff, rather than wholesale swap-outs)

Converting a drop-bar road bike in to an upright cruiser generally requires compromises and work-arounds.

Sell the 650c roadster and find one that's got 80% of the features / components / geometry that your looking for, rather than changing 80% of a bike that doesn't work, and working around the rest.

@delingren Go Here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html