Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 05:30 PM
kato12

Bikes: looking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back riding

About 3 years ago,a girl ran me in the ditch,not hurt,but could have been worse,finally iam back riding,picked new bike,6;3 290,first ride is coming up
Old 06-05-18, 11:52 AM
chris93263

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I am... 250lbs 6' tall. I have three bikes. a 1977 Nishiki International, a 90s? StumpJumper, and a mystery fixie. I've been riding about 50 miles a week

Old 06-05-18, 11:53 AM
chris93263

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-06-18, 10:00 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
'Evening everybody..
Name's John..
wandered over here because I picked a Cannondale Raven off craigslist over the weekend.. a FS bike to move up from my 29er hardtail Raleigh..
Saw the Clydesdale forum, and well, I raise Clydesdales.. so, um.. yeah.

Last edited by JLDickmon; 06-14-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-10-18, 09:31 PM
tlgalliher

Bikes: 2018 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jumbo Clydesdale Checking In

Hello New Friends. After living on a bike as a youth, I am back at it for the first time since getting my driver's license. Now 36, thanks a sedentary lifestyle, and a job as a public safety dispatcher that keeps me literally tied to a desk (or plugged into) for 12-hours a day, I found myself at 415 lbs when I visited the doctor for a routine illness at the end of March. Vowing to never see a leading 4 on the scale again, I joined Weight Watchers, and started playing disc golf on a regular basis. Just over a week ago, I made a purchase to help make exercise even more enjoyable and family-oriented, a 2018 XL Trek Verve 2. Since that dreadful day in March with the leading-4, I have lost 55 pounds.

I rode my bike around the block a couple times over the past week, but decided this morning would be the day I tackle what would likely become my bread-and-butter daily ride, a 6.2 mile ride from my house completing a leg of a nearby rail-trail, and back again on mostly flat ground (only 245 feet of elevation gain). I made it about halfway, and turned back for home, knowing if I went to the farthest point that I had intended, I may not have the energy to make it back. So, I felt like a failure, but it also helped establish my first riding goal.

I'm not discouraged, which is good since I've already gone all-in on using cycling as a core component of my lifestyle change. I've purchased the bike, all the required emergency repair gear, a rear rack, pannier bags for both day trips and errands, a heart rate monitor, and a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I'm using Strava to keep myself honest and accountable to anybody else who wants to help push me along. I'm looking forward to shedding some more of this weight, and seeing where cycling takes me as an adult.

Old 06-14-18, 02:01 PM
65Marinoni

Bikes: 65cm Marinoni ,Trek Ion Cx 61 cm , Trek 2.3 ( false 64cm... )

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65 cm Marinoni

Like my username implied I ride a 65 cm custom Marinoni , courtesy of 99cm inseam with a 180mm crank . Zinn calculator said I must turn 210 mm , but I order a cheap 200mm IRD crank and don't like the motion . I'm from Canada and if for anyone who wore 49E shoes , I've got a pair to sell . It's a pair of Brand NEW Shimano Road shoes RP-3 Wide-Fit . Really spacious , real ''E'' . Contact me here , I'm an individual and I 'm asking 90 cdn for it .
Old 06-18-18, 09:28 AM
amchef

Bikes: Felt Z3, Rocky Mountain Vertex 950

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlgalliher
Hello New Friends. After living on a bike as a youth, I am back at it for the first time since getting my driver's license. Now 36, thanks a sedentary lifestyle, and a job as a public safety dispatcher that keeps me literally tied to a desk (or plugged into) for 12-hours a day, I found myself at 415 lbs when I visited the doctor for a routine illness at the end of March. Vowing to never see a leading 4 on the scale again, I joined Weight Watchers, and started playing disc golf on a regular basis. Just over a week ago, I made a purchase to help make exercise even more enjoyable and family-oriented, a 2018 XL Trek Verve 2. Since that dreadful day in March with the leading-4, I have lost 55 pounds.

I rode my bike around the block a couple times over the past week, but decided this morning would be the day I tackle what would likely become my bread-and-butter daily ride, a 6.2 mile ride from my house completing a leg of a nearby rail-trail, and back again on mostly flat ground (only 245 feet of elevation gain). I made it about halfway, and turned back for home, knowing if I went to the farthest point that I had intended, I may not have the energy to make it back. So, I felt like a failure, but it also helped establish my first riding goal.

I'm not discouraged, which is good since I've already gone all-in on using cycling as a core component of my lifestyle change. I've purchased the bike, all the required emergency repair gear, a rear rack, pannier bags for both day trips and errands, a heart rate monitor, and a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I'm using Strava to keep myself honest and accountable to anybody else who wants to help push me along. I'm looking forward to shedding some more of this weight, and seeing where cycling takes me as an adult.
You just keep pedaling!! Congrats and the best of luck to you!!!
Old 06-19-18, 03:43 PM
Whidbey88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle Area 5'8" currently 275. Went from 336 to 225 in 2016 doing keto, slowly crept back up. Despite the weight, I'm very active, I just finished a half Ironman earlier this month. I just really like to eat. :-)
I should probably lose some, but damn I feel pretty good right now. I'm always up for a rides in the Seattle area, just ping me. I loop both big lakes in the area pretty regularly.
Old 06-19-18, 03:44 PM
Whidbey88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 65Marinoni
Like my username implied I ride a 65 cm custom Marinoni , courtesy of 99cm inseam with a 180mm crank . Zinn calculator said I must turn 210 mm , but I order a cheap 200mm IRD crank and don't like the motion . I'm from Canada and if for anyone who wore 49E shoes , I've got a pair to sell . It's a pair of Brand NEW Shimano Road shoes RP-3 Wide-Fit . Really spacious , real ''E'' . Contact me here , I'm an individual and I 'm asking 90 cdn for it .
You'll have to post a pic your Marinoni in the Marinoni thread. I don't think you can upload photos until you post 10 times though.
Old 06-21-18, 10:16 PM
65Marinoni

Bikes: 65cm Marinoni ,Trek Ion Cx 61 cm , Trek 2.3 ( false 64cm... )

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 65 cm Marinoni

There a Marinoni thread ?

65 cm custom Marinoni
Old 07-07-18, 08:26 PM
BLE373

Bikes: Schwinn Sidewinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!

Hello! Bought my first bike since I was in high school. It' been about 14 years since I have ridden. My starting weight is 240. Hoping primarily to lose weight through excercise. I have followed the forums for a while. Just got the nerve up to buy a bike and join today. Nice to meet you all. It seems like a pretty welcoming place. I just bought a Schwinn Sidewinder. So far day one at least pacing the street. Lol. Anyway, thanks for being so inviting. Can't wait to learn and share my experience.
Old 07-11-18, 11:12 AM
BassistBiker
Wide Load

Bikes: Salsa Journeyman, Trek Fuel EX 8, State Bicycles Delfin Core-Line

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hi All, I just recently picked up a new bike (2018 Trek Marlin 5), after not riding for nearly 20 years.
I'm 6' and 275lbs....so I have some work to do, but I'm looking forward to it!
So far I've put 4 trips of 5 miles each on the bike, I'm hoping to build up my stamina and start riding to work/back, that's about a 18 mile round trip.
Old 07-13-18, 04:48 PM
chicitycruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! I'm so glad that this community exists. I've been riding my cruiser for about 10 years and have fluctuated from 250-300 lbs. during that time. Currently, I'm on the high end of that fluctuation, and I'm working my way back down and then some! Hopefully, I'm older and wiser at 41 years old and will finally get my sit bones in gear Luckily, Chicago has plenty of lake shore and wooded trails in the 'burbs and Northwest Indiana for me to continue pedaling. I have been reading all of your posts for the past hour and feel excited to be a part of this group. Looking forward to hanging out and contributing in this space- thanks!
Old 07-15-18, 06:11 AM
BigBeef612

Bikes: Bikesdirect cheapy...Looking at a Fuji Traverse 1.3 (fall or spring)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Beefy in Minneapolis

Morning from Minneapolis. I current come in at 300 lbs, down from 400 since January, mostly due to Keto, intermittent fasting and my trusty gym membership. I live in a very bike friendly city and after living here for 6 years, i finally flung myself on one of those ride sharing bike. 3 spds, built like a tank, i figured what is the worst that can happen? Well that was in May of this year and I fell in love with biking. On the advice of my brother i bought a cheapy ($270) cruiser from Bikesdirect. I was not really sure how much i would enjoy it so i figured at best I can make it through the summer and fall and get a new bike in the spring.

Since then we are riding most weekends and 2 -3 times during the week, i have lost another 30 ish pounds. I had early concerns about the bike being able to handle the weight, but so far everything seems to be going pretty good. I am looking at a Fuji Traverse 1.3 for my future bike. Any big riders here riding this? I am a little put off about going into a LBS and asking for help with finding a bike. I dunno..you dont see all that many biker on the trails of my size. I guess its just something ive got to get over.

I had issues with my toes in the beginning, pain and numbness. I bought a pair of stiff biking shoes, which were terrible and not wide enough. I finally found a pair of Giro's that are wide and fit amazing, my toe pain went mostly away. I then bought some SPD's and started clipping in, which I love so much. The extra power and speed you can get is awesome. This brings me to my latest issues... falling. I have fallen twice now, at a dead stop, once at a traffic light with LOTS of people watching. It happens with I try when stopping and i have to lean left or my center of gravity shifts left and i have forgotten to unclip my left foot.

To make matters worse, my saddle somehow got stuck in my shorts which exposed me to the looky loos. It was cringe worthy but... **** it I'm a 45 year old 300 pounder on a bike, its ok if people stare at me, plus i really love biking. I banged up my elbow and knee pretty good with road rash and blood streaming down my knee and arm. With no first aid kit in my pack, I held my biking glove over the wound till it stopped bleeding and biked home.

1 week later (with first aid kit in tow)... i fell again. same side... same injury, scab broke open and I was so pissed off. so... I decided to pull off my SPD's pedals and just go back to the flats at least until my injuries heal up. My partner heavily influenced this decision (lol)...He is a seasoned rider with a much better bike than me, he has been very patient and understanding with me through all of this. He hasn't ridden much in the 6 years i have known him. It is nice to get out together to ride.

So anyways hi and stuff.
Old 07-15-18, 11:48 AM
PutnamMike

Bikes: Giant AnyRoad & Panosonic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im 68 year old.........Im 6'1....around 210lbs............I run and have a Giant AnyRoads..love mthe outdoorsi
Old 07-16-18, 09:03 AM
folgore

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody! I'm a 47 year old guy. I quit smoking 14 months ago and from that moment on, my weight skyrocketed! Two weeks ago I clocked in at 277 lbs and decided to start riding.....now two weeks later I've lost 13 lbs and for some reason, every day I cannot wait until I put my bike on my truck and hit the bike path. Then, later I am not too happy about my decision since it's really tough (especially on my butt!) but everyday I feel very happy after the ride.

I am really happy a place like this exists and look forward to learn and maybe someday contribute in some way!
Old 07-16-18, 01:08 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello From Iowa! I rode a lot up until 7 years ago and at that time I let my work schedule over ride my love to ride. I am 46 years old and started out the first of May at 5'11" and 257 lbs. The heaviest of my life. I started out at 5 miles a day and thought I was dying...LOL I am currently down to 225 lbs and 20 to 25 miles a day. The hills are still a workout but i feel stronger and better everyday. My daily distance is up, now I have started working on getting my average mph up. I am currently at 12.5 mph but hope to get back to that 16 to 18.
Old 07-19-18, 01:05 PM
rwde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy

Just joined after a few weeks of reading and lurking. I'm tall (6'5") and 260 lbs, so I think I fit here. I ride mostly trails and paths, some single track and some roads. Looking forward to learning from all of you.
Old 07-23-18, 04:21 PM
PI GRIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another new guy

Located in NE Texas so currently feeling the heat. 6’4” and dropping weight but always a Clyde so I figured this would be the best place for the first post.
Old 07-24-18, 12:24 PM
miradoblackwarr

Bikes: None, yet, but have exercise cycle on living room.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still no bike

Just joined. I'm a 62 year old who hasn't been on a bike in 30+ years. I'm a bit afraid, to be honest, as I was a bit wobbly even then. Still, riding a bike intrigues me. My weight is over 320 lbs. on a 5'7" frame. Any encouragement welcomed as I explore this site!
Old 07-24-18, 03:37 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miradoblackwarr
Just joined. I'm a 62 year old who hasn't been on a bike in 30+ years. I'm a bit afraid, to be honest, as I was a bit wobbly even then. Still, riding a bike intrigues me. My weight is over 320 lbs. on a 5'7" frame. Any encouragement welcomed as I explore this site!
Go for it! Cycling is great for fitness with no joint pain. I'm 5'10", used to be 340 lbs, and had pain getting started in the morning. I'm down to 263 and still losing.
Old 07-29-18, 02:12 PM
stevedaytona

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there I'm 55 years young, and presently weighing in at a rather portly 280. I used to ride a lot in my younger days and raced growing up in England. But it's been 20 years since I last rode seriously.

So want to get a decent bike but a bit concerned about how my current weight will impact the kind of bike I can get. Also wondering how I will handle riding in the Florida summer heat & humidity!
Old 08-01-18, 10:50 PM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Hello From Iowa! I rode a lot up until 7 years ago and at that time I let my work schedule over ride my love to ride. I am 46 years old and started out the first of May at 5'11" and 257 lbs. The heaviest of my life. I started out at 5 miles a day and thought I was dying...LOL I am currently down to 225 lbs and 20 to 25 miles a day. The hills are still a workout but i feel stronger and better everyday. My daily distance is up, now I have started working on getting my average mph up. I am currently at 12.5 mph but hope to get back to that 16 to 18.
Hello back from Iowa! And welcome to all the others who have posted recently, good to read your stories!
Old 08-06-18, 05:10 PM
Campincatfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in it

Hello, started here about 5 years ago and dropped 100 pounds to 270. Haven’t ridden in three years and back up about 35 pounds. Started back last week. Did a 20 mile on Saturday and feel great. Ride a Trek 7.2 and just put a
Giant Talon 3 on layaway till next month! Thanks for having me back.
Old 08-11-18, 04:57 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Bikes: 1991 C'DALE- 3.1 , 2007 LEMOND - TOURMALET

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well not new here.. I have always been a member but due to life situations I stopped riding. When I first started here I was barely a Clyde.. Now 8 yrs later I am a full force Clyde...lol
I Hit my max weight at 305lbs then little by little through dieting I am back down to a svelte 245 lbs.. (I'm 6'-2" btw)
So now the long and wonderful journey on the bike continues.. Glad to be back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.