Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

I got a quick ride on a Greenspeed trike!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 09:51 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm visiting Washington DC this weekend, and spent some quality time on my beater bike on the Mt. Vernon trail. The number of people using the trail was incredible.

Anyway, Saturday, I met a gentleman named Michael riding a Greenspeed X5. We talked for a few minutes, and he offered to let me ride it.

It's a very cool ride. I really want one now. My wife would love to have one too.

Anyone have a few thousand dollars to put to a good cause?
Old 04-04-10, 10:03 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You are as good as gone! It took just one ride on a friend's newly acquired Greenspeed GTO before I began to lust for one too. It stopped faster, turned in half the radius, handled better at high speeds, and had a much better gear range than the trike I had been riding. I was lucky enough to get one third-hand so the monetary damage was not as great as it might have been.
Old 04-04-10, 10:22 AM
TXiceman

Bikes: Greenspeed GT5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped at my local bent bike dealer and rode several and loved a GT3. I wound up doing some online looking and ordered a GT5. It was not hard to assembly and is blast to ride. I am now trying to sell my Cycle Genius Rave 700C. It is a great ride, but the trike is so much fun. I think it will be named "Tres"

I have had a cold all week and still not well enough to ride. It kills me that the new trike is setting in the garage and ready to ride.

Better start shopping now.....
Old 04-04-10, 04:06 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good timing on that trike ride. Greenspeed recently made it a bit less difficult to buy one of their trikes. Or two.

GT1 $1890 retail
GT3 $2390 retail
GT5 $2790 retail
Old 04-06-10, 12:17 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gcottay
Good timing on that trike ride. Greenspeed recently made it a bit less difficult to buy one of their trikes. Or two.

GT1 $1890 retail
GT3 $2390 retail
GT5 $2790 retail
I really wish I could buy now, but other things are taking priority. I did talk to the good woman about it though.
Old 04-27-10, 06:26 AM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the subject of trikes, I've never ridden one, but I have this perception in my mind that they're not as fast on the takeoff or even just riding around as a two wheeler due to high rolling resistance. Tell me I'm wrong because they look totally cool and I want to try one.

Last edited by kjmillig; 04-28-10 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-27-10, 07:45 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kjmillig
On the subject of trikes, I've never rdden one, but I have this perception in my mind that they're not as fast on the takeoff or even just riding around as a two wheeler due to high rolling resistance. Tell me I'm wrong because they look totallt cool and I want to try one.
You are wrong. Now would be a good time to stop reading since riding a trike is great fun not to missed.

================================================================

On most rides I will average a mile or two slower on three wheels than on two. Takeoffs are, if anything, a bit quicker since there's no need to get clipped back in. Rolling resistance minor. The biggies are increased wind resistance at high speeds and weight on uphills. Year after year at least 65% of my riding miles are on three wheels because the increased enjoyment outweighs reduced speed.