Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Positive experience sharing the road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 01:34 PM
hiker88

Bikes: 2009 Waterford S-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I know we've all had some negative experiences with cars and trucks before but I wanted to share a positive from last nights ride home.

There's this real narrow road I'm ride sometimes depending which route I take home. I used to know a guy that worked for the transportation department and they have an official names for roads like this but I can't remember it. Basically, roads of this type here in Maine are old carriage trails and basically all that was done to make it a road was pave it - no widening, straightening etc - this one is pretty sketchy.

Anywhoooo, this road has a real deep descent, it's one of those hills you can bomb down in your top gear, but as soon as you hit the bottom you are pretty much going from one side of the cassette to the other and going to the small chainring.

Well, last night just as I get to the bottom, I see a truck starting to come around the corner ahead towards me. Because I was going so slow, I could also hear a car coming up pretty fast behind me. Without really, thinking about it, I kind of patted my left hand down towards the road to kind of say "be careful slow down" - you know the gesture.

Well, to my surprise I heard them come off the gas and wait for the truck ahead of us to go by. Then the car not only went in the other lane to go around me up the hill, but the passenger gave me a little wave as they went by up the hill.

There were no car racks on the car so I suppose it could have been another biker. I don't know - just wanted to share I guess.

Here's hoping you have a good ride too! Anyone else have good experieces lately?
Old 08-12-10, 01:48 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally semi trucks are very courteous to me when riding on shouldered highways. They will move over to the next lane even when they do not need to. When I rode a 75 mile stretch of hwy 77 here the most obnoxious drivers were the Harley bikers followed by SUV drivers even with bikes and racks on the back. You would think that motorcycle riders would get it. On 2 lane roads in the country just about everyone is nice and allows plenty of room when passing. Now in my own neighborhood....different story. I almost got taken out by an Audi SUV when I had the right of way in a round about. I yelled hey as loud as I could and got a bug eyed reaction from the driver. She stopped very quickly and let me go ahead. It also never fails that even when I am going 25+ mph in a residential, drivers feel they have to pass a bike rider no matter what. Sorry to add my complaints, just had to vent a little. It just seems to happen in my own neighborhood. When I do my nightly ride into a nearby neinghborhood I am constantly waving at drivers who acknowledge me on the road and do not cut me off.
Old 08-12-10, 02:36 PM
96WX3

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Comp - Rival Gary Fisher Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Round about, good luck with those. People act like they are a trigonometry equations around here. On a positive note, I gave the 50+ yr old cyclist lots of room last week. Seeing as how it was just barely getting light out in the am and it was foggy. And he felt the need to ride with no lights or reflectors of any kind. I figured he needed extra room as he must be nuts!
Old 08-12-10, 03:12 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I was riding with my Dinotte taillight, and two people in cars slowed down and said, "I saw you from way behind, that's a really good light." I wasn't soliciting opinions, they just opened their windows and spontaneously commented. They're made in NH, not far from you. nobody has ever right-hooked me, either they pass and take my lane and give me good distance to avoid them, or they wait behind. Try a set and see what you think. The 400R is an A++ product.
Old 08-12-10, 03:26 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hiker88
Here's hoping you have a good ride too! Anyone else have good experieces lately?
I was climbing the other day and a car passed by me slowly, for some reason I felt like he was going to be angry (no reason why he should be), but instead he leaned over and shouted something positive. I shouted back, "thanks, have a nice day", and he said "you too" and drove off. Made my day.
Old 08-12-10, 03:38 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wmb5m
do you all think a cyclist gains more "respect" while cycling on the road dressed up in a matching kit, decent helmet, bike, etc.. rather than in a t-shirt, cargo shorts, etc.?
Not generally, no.
Old 08-12-10, 03:44 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
this brings up something that i have been meaning to ask lately. don't mean to threadjack, but i think my question is justified.. if not, report my post!

do you all think a cyclist gains more "respect" while cycling on the road dressed up in a matching kit, decent helmet, bike, etc.. rather than in a t-shirt, cargo shorts, etc.?

this is, of course, assuming both types are obeying the laws of the road. keeping a line, signaling, etc... matter of fact, i'll even jump on the sidewalk for a bit if i've bonked and/or going slow up hills.

what do you think?
It's probably just the opposite.

The bike lanes in my neighborhood jump all over the road. I always thankfully wave at the drivers who don't run me over where the lanes switch.
Old 08-12-10, 04:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Of course not. People have "us and them" built quite literally into our genes. For probably at least hundreds of thousands of years, we've used clothing and language as easy ways to distinguish them from us. Dressing as a member of the reviled cyclist tribe is not going to endear you to the drivers. On the other hand, a tee-shirt and cargo shorts make you easier to relate to as a fellow.
Old 08-12-10, 05:37 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I've had many, many positive experiences with cars/trucks here in NJ. Very few have been intentional jerks. Ohio - really, really nice or really, really jerks. I'm always waving acknowledgements of "Thanks" to motor vehicles here in NJ.

Riding outside of Princeton on a two lane county road, I hear a "toot, toot" back behind me, and immediately I know it's a semi, letting me know that he was going to be passing me. He did it far enough back that it didn't startle me and gave me enough time to brace for any wind blast. Very cool.

Most drivers in suburban/rural NJ are courteous. But soccer moms on cell phones - very dangerous.
Old 08-12-10, 05:48 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A while back, I was riding on Lagoon Drive, a flat road within the service district of our airport. Much of the traffic are large semi trucks. I had a nice tailwind and was probably going about 20mph or so when I heard a truck roll up alongside me to my left. Then the truck slowed down and started keeping pace with me. I thought, "Uh oh, these guys are going to start hassling me".

One of the guys called out, "Eh brah! Looking good!" I looked up at the guy in the passenger seat and he was smiling and making the "shaka" sign at me. I smiled back and then started to pick up my pace. The truck sped up to keep pace and the passenger yelled, "GO GO GO!" I cranked it up as fast as I could and I could hear the two guys yelling "WOOHOO!" When I could no longer keep the pace, I stopped pedaling and waved to the guys. They honked their super-loud air horn three times and the passenger gave me another "shaka" as they continued past.

That was really fun and completely unexpected.
Old 08-12-10, 05:55 PM
Sylv
Philly Fanatic

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. That usually just encourages the hillbillies in their Ford Rangers to honk and yell louder.
Old 08-12-10, 06:00 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I was climbing the other day and a car passed by me slowly, for some reason I felt like he was going to be angry (no reason why he should be), but instead he leaned over and shouted something positive. I shouted back, "thanks, have a nice day", and he said "you too" and drove off. Made my day.
Because they never met you in BF
Old 08-12-10, 06:04 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sylv
No. That usually just encourages the hillbillies in their Ford Rangers to honk and yell louder.
They are not a well built truck but how did you determine this is the transportation of choice for hillbillies?
Old 08-12-10, 06:09 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
Because they never met you in BF
Fail. This is a nice thread about positive experiences and you have to go and act like an ass about it.
Old 08-12-10, 06:09 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
I've had many, many positive experiences with cars/trucks here in NJ. Very few have been intentional jerks. Ohio - really, really nice or really, really jerks. I'm always waving acknowledgements of "Thanks" to motor vehicles here in NJ.

Riding outside of Princeton on a two lane county road, I hear a "toot, toot" back behind me, and immediately I know it's a semi, letting me know that he was going to be passing me. He did it far enough back that it didn't startle me and gave me enough time to brace for any wind blast. Very cool.

Most drivers in suburban/rural NJ are courteous. But soccer moms on cell phones - very dangerous.
Ohio...?
I wouldn't take a chance cycling @Berlin "Joisey" when visiting my relatives.
What's your favorite bike route,the AC expressway?
Old 08-12-10, 06:11 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Fail
Not at all.
You've made a few friends here.
Old 08-12-10, 06:15 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You've made a few friends here.
Yes, I have actually made quite a few friends here.
Old 08-12-10, 07:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11953 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Fail. This is a nice thread about positive experiences and you have to go and act like an ass about it.
He was only kidding. Where's your sense of humor?
Old 08-12-10, 07:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Not generally, no.
I think I disagree. I've noticed that I get more respect from cars when I act like I belong on the road. If you're confident and look like you know what you're doing, you get more respect than if you're timid and don't look like you belong. The clothing seems to help with this, but I've never ridden around very long in shorts and a t-shirt.
Old 08-12-10, 07:34 PM
ModeratedUser01102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha old farm roads are the best! Especially the ones with stone walls lining the sides.

When two cars cant even fit in some parts, I'm sure a truck with another car AND you must've been quite interesting.
Old 08-12-10, 07:44 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Ohio...?
I wouldn't take a chance cycling @Berlin "Joisey" when visiting my relatives.
What's your favorite bike route,the AC expressway?
OK. Your response is, for the most part, unintelligible. Look at https://www.njbikemap.com/ The entire northwest quarter of the state is a great place to ride. But for you, the AC expressway sounds fine.
Old 08-12-10, 07:53 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this brings up something that i have been meaning to ask lately. don't mean to threadjack, but i think my question is justified.. if not, report my post!

this is, of course, assuming both types are obeying the laws of the road. keeping a line, signaling, etc... matter of fact, i'll even jump on the sidewalk for a bit if i've bonked and/or going slow up hills.

what do you think?
Where I live they do.

"Cyclists"(as in a cycling enthusiast) here are EXTREMELY rare (I haven't seen a single one while on the bike, 3 months+ now) but people riding bicycles is very common(lower class workers).

"Bicycle riders" wear no equipment and have no respect for any traffic laws, they never stop at red lights or signal. They just do whatever they want and generally piss everybody off. They ride on the sidewalk endangering pedestrians, also they try their best to always be riding the opposite way if on a street and cars generally have no respect for them.

"Cyclists" are usually fully-equipped and use lots of hand signals and always stop at red lights. They are always on the road itself not the side-walk and they never go the opposite way on a road. Cars switch lanes to pass cyclists.

You could argue it's because cyclists in the third-world are better educated and come from a higher social background than your typical bicycle rider, but all in all it's a matter of being respectful.
Old 08-12-10, 07:59 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
He was only kidding. Where's your sense of humor?
As you well know, humor doesn't translate on teh internets. When I say something like that you guys are all over me. Just returning the favor
Old 08-12-10, 08:02 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I think I disagree. I've noticed that I get more respect from cars when I act like I belong on the road. If you're confident and look like you know what you're doing, you get more respect than if you're timid and don't look like you belong. The clothing seems to help with this, but I've never ridden around very long in shorts and a t-shirt.
I do a fair amount of riding like that and I don't notice much difference in how others treat me. Like you said, "if you are confident and look like you know what you are doing...", that's the key. On the other hand, drivers that don't like roadies because of groups taking the road, running signs, etc. may be more likely to get upset at some "lance wannabe in full kit". Personally, I think it all balances out, which is why I added generally.
Old 08-12-10, 08:21 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
OK. Your response is, for the most part, unintelligible. Look at https://www.njbikemap.com/ The entire northwest quarter of the state is a great place to ride. But for you, the AC expressway sounds fine.
We do not have to limit ourselves to a "northwest quarter"in Ohio.
Places are safe to cycle are all over the state,but if you feel safe in your little quarter of Jersey....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.