Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1988 Fuji Tiara 58cm Road Bike in 'Cherry Web' in great condition

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 08-21-10, 03:54 PM
muppditt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am trying to figure out a fair price for which to sell my Fuji Tiara. I looked on classicfujis.com and saw what it sold for originally in 1988 (!!!) but still am not sure what it would be worth today. I looked on ebay's completed listings, craigslist....no bike like mine.

Considering the market here in SF, the funky look of the bike and the fact that is it is in great condition...it is hard for me to decide if it is worth $200 or $500, or whatever! :/

I am not sure what is original on the bike. I replaced the saddle and put the fluorescent handlebar tape on it. Took off the toe clips.

Sorry if my questions are dumb, I don't know very much about bike values!

What do you think I could sell it for?
Here is a photo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/muppditt...eat=directlink

Thank you!

muppditt

Last edited by muppditt; 08-21-10 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add photo
Old 08-21-10, 06:34 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,918 Times in 1,488 Posts
that is a beautiful bike. I wish it was a tad bigger. there is a member here who has one he picked up in the early spring. he is your best bet for a value.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 08-21-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 06:52 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Rather than just focus on Fuji Tiaras, look at similar era bikes with similar components. It is sixth from the top of the line that year. I have sold Fuji models on either side of the Tiara.

Your bike is a 1987 model. It came with mid grade Suntour indexed components. 1988 model has different rear brake cable routing, different graphics (decals) and different components.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-21-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 07:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,918 Times in 1,488 Posts
I am not so sure this bike is original. the catalog calls for Shimano 350 components (light action?) but to me the RD really looks like a Suntour, and the brake levers are clearly different as is the stem

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-21-10, 07:42 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
that is a beautiful bike. I wish it was a tad bigger. there is a member here who has one he picked up in the early spring. he is your best bet for a value.
I believe that even though Keith bought the bike via a competitive market(Ebay), it went for a really low value. From what I recall, it was less than $200. Considering that you are in SF, which I consider to be a high market, and the unusual paint, I would ask $350. You can always go down later or accept a much lower offer.

Of course, I am not taking condition into account, but that is hard to tell from your picture.

I would also replace the flamboyant bar tape. I recently listed a bike twice with some unflattering bar treatment and only had two mildly interested parties. I wrapped the bars in new black cork and had tons of people asking for the bike. In fact, I got my asking price with no negotiation. It only cost me about $7-8.

Last edited by beech333; 08-21-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 07:57 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am not so sure this bike is original. the catalog calls for Shimano 350 components (light action?) but to me the RD really looks like a Suntour, and the brake levers are clearly different as is the stem
1987 model was Suntour Alpha 5000. 1988 was Shimano drivetrain.

Sure doesn't look like a 58 to me. Looks more like a 54.

In my market, that is a $250 bike, max. Add the typical San Fran premium, and you might be $350. I would consider alternate bar tape color as well. What is the contrast color on the paint? Is it yellow? I see from Keith's below that the contrast color is white. So I would be using a white saddle, white bar tape, and white cable housing.

Its a 1987 model.

https://classicfuji.com/Tiara_1987_Page.htm

Last edited by wrk101; 08-22-10 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-22-10, 09:30 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Correct, it's not a 58, guaranteed. I would agree with the 54 assessment.

I got mine on eBay for a whopping $56.01 plus $65 shipping. What would I value mine at? Heck, I have no idea. Although I have one I'm a bad one ot ask as I'm very "invested" in this bike, both emotionally (ok, har har) and somewhat finanically with various upgrades. Nothing horrific mind you. If you count the second 88 Tiara I bought for $50 to get the white stem, then sold for $270 and the Bianchi I bought for $50, took the RX100 drivetrain for my Tiara, and resold for $350 the whole schmear comes close to a wash maybe?

I honestly couldn't put a value on mine. Someone would have to want it BAD for me to get close to a value. That said, when I was looking for one, if it's in as nice shape as the OP's looks I might have paid $200-$225 in my market. I really wanted the 88 though, not the 87.

For the OP, here's what mine looked like out of the eBay box:

And as it sits this morning after I just installed the white crankset:

Old 09-02-10, 09:40 AM
carlosvigil

Bikes: 1987 Fuji Cherry Web Tiara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested Buyer!!

Hi!

I am interested in buying your bike!! I have a similar Fuji Tiara with what I believe to be the same frame, but my frame is slightly banged up and chipping in a few areas. I am seeking to get the exact same frame that I have and swap it. Is the "Fuji" and "Tiara" lettering decals on your bike yellow?

I bought my bike for $220 (with a brand new $80 wheelset included) so I would say you could sell yours for around $200 but I'd be willing to negotiate. Please keep in mind that what I am seeking more than anything is the frame, but of course I'd be willing to buy the whole bike off of you... unless you'd be willing to work out a deal with me for the frame alone? I live in Baltimore, so we'd have to figure out how to ship it to me.

I would like to stress that I am a SERIOUS BUYER and am very interested in your bike. The only thing that I need to be sure of (as I mentioned above) is that the lettering on the frame is yellow (my current bike has yellow rims and hubs, so I'd like to retain that detail/aesthetic on the frame). Also, as far as I can tell from your description and photo, the frame is in great condition, correct? Are there any scrapes or chips in the paint job?

Please get in touch with me. Feel free to reply here, or even better please email me or give me a call. I am brand new to this forum and joined simply because I am interested in your bike!

email: krylon.orange@gmail.com
phone: 505.977.2477

Thanks so much,
Carlos

Originally Posted by muppditt
Hello, I am trying to figure out a fair price for which to sell my Fuji Tiara. I looked on classicfujis.com and saw what it sold for originally in 1988 (!!!) but still am not sure what it would be worth today. I looked on ebay's completed listings, craigslist....no bike like mine.

Considering the market here in SF, the funky look of the bike and the fact that is it is in great condition...it is hard for me to decide if it is worth $200 or $500, or whatever! :/

I am not sure what is original on the bike. I replaced the saddle and put the fluorescent handlebar tape on it. Took off the toe clips.

Sorry if my questions are dumb, I don't know very much about bike values!

What do you think I could sell it for?
Here is a photo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/muppditt...eat=directlink

Thank you!

muppditt

Last edited by carlosvigil; 09-02-10 at 10:17 AM. Reason: left out a question.
Old 09-02-10, 10:43 AM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently sold a Club Fuji for 275 in similar shape, maybe nicked up a bit more. I am across the bay from you. I would expect a similar price on a good day with the right buyer, especially if you are not in a hurry.
Old 09-06-10, 03:33 AM
muppditt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again! Thank you guys so much for your input...now I don't know what to do!
To the people who are interested in buying:
I currently live in Berlin (great bike city by the way!!!) and my bike is stored at my mom's place in SF. I will be back for about a week in late October (starting on Oct 22nd). I think what I will do is post it on craigslist once I get back, and see what happens. If it doesn't sell, I will be in touch with you guys.
After that I am off to Costa Rica...maybe I should trade for a mountain bike! hahaa

Thank you so much!!!
Old 09-26-20, 02:16 PM
Natas The First

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Fuji enthusiasts still out there from their post?