Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

spacer on top of stem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

spacer on top of stem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 01:08 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
spacer on top of stem?

Why is it important to have this little spacer on top of the stem for carbon steer tube? Do steer tube have to run all the way through the stem for even camping pressure to prevent cracking of the steer tube?
Old 08-15-11, 01:17 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Is that what the fork manufacturer is recommending? If so do it, or face the wrath of the bike wrench gods.

Seriously though, I'd do it. Seems like the right thing for carbon steerers. FWIW, I don't have any bikes with carbon steerers. YMMV
Old 08-15-11, 01:24 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually do not know what the mfg's suggestions are. I see people have them all the time. I did it only because I was afraid that I would need the extra space under the stem one day when I get really old. I have always want to cut it flush because I think it looks ugly. I have to look at it every time I ride it. If it was in the back, I could not care less.
Old 08-15-11, 06:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As long as the top bolt of the stem is completely covered by the steerer tube, it isn't essential to have the steerer project above the stem to the point of needing a top spacer even for a carbon steerer. None of the makers I'm familiar with insist on a top spacer.

However, it still a good idea and a worthwhile safeguard and I do it on all of my steerers, both carbon and metal. On the carbon steerers it assures the stem is fully and completely supported and on all of the steerers it gives me the option of raising the bars a bit if I ever decide I need to.
Old 08-15-11, 07:18 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
look171, While it is aesthetically more plesant to have the stem flush, it does lock the rider into a situation where possibly the only available adjustment is downwards. Not good if you wish to simply raise the handlebars or install handlebars with a deeper drop, for instance.

Brad
Old 08-15-11, 08:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not the spacer per se, but the gap that the top cap has above the steerer tube,
that is required to pull your headset bearings into adjustment.

Once the stem bolts are loosened to do the adjustment , it's just another spacer.

Now by putting the spacer on top of the stem, it sits proud, above the end of the steerer tube,

when the stem is tightened again it grips the steerer tube and maintains the adjustment.

Whole surface of stem and steerer tube meet.

It would function just as well if the top edge of the stem
were 4,5~6mm above the end of the steerer tube.
Old 08-15-11, 09:02 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Some manufacturers specify that the steerer extend beyond the stem and others don't. Probably best to go with the recommendation of the fork/bike manufacturer for your specific fork. It certainly doesn't hurt for it extend beyond the stem. Either way, you need enough clearance between the steerer and the cap so that you can tension the headset bearing properly.
Old 08-15-11, 10:44 AM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by look171
Why is it important to have this little spacer on top of the stem for carbon steer tube? Do steer tube have to run all the way through the stem for even camping pressure to prevent cracking of the steer tube?
If you want to lower your handlebars, how about avoiding the spacer issue altogether and just get a new stem with a different angle? You can even get a stem with an adjustable angle if you aren't sure what height you want for the handlebars.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57223

Ken