Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best Cold Weather Boot Covers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 09:26 AM
tandemnh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the NorthEast and looking for boot covers to keep warm to extend my riding maybe all winter. I ride primarily on-road. What are the suggestions and how low can the go?
Old 12-01-11, 09:58 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
My fair-weather cycling shoes are light weight and well ventilated. Rain covers and Smart-wool socks help keep my feet warm down to about 40f, but colder weather is a real issue. I use the largest sized Sugoi shoe cover (I have size 10.5 shoes): https://www.rei.com/product/725342/su...r-bike-booties

I had a Boot Glove cover for my Alpine ski boots that was gathering dust, so I inserted it between my summer road shoes and my rain covers. They keep my toes warm to 10f and would probably allow me to cycle in colder weather if I wanted.

https://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-BootGlo...2600263&sr=8-1

Boot Glove is a 5 Mil N2s Neoprene cover that straps around the shoe, covering the toe, tongue, and sides of the boot. I removed the strap that runs under the sole of the shoe, it interfered with the cleat. I used a small square of duct tape to hold the Boot Glove over the toe, but it wasn’t really needed, the rain cover holds the Boot Glove in place. I use the rear strap of the Boot Cover, mostly to help stretch the Boot Glove over the buckles of the shoe. I then put on the rain covers and go cycling.

My cycling shoes perform normally without the extra bulk of heavy socks.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-01-11 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 10:07 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I use the CAPO shoe covers and they seem to work fine, i.e. keep out the cold, wind and rain. They don't get much use here in SoCal, but I take them along when I go to the U.K. for rides there.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-01-11, 10:55 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've had covers from REI (Pearl Izumi) and Performance (house brand). Both seemed to work about the same. They kept my feet warm. Cost was not nearly the same.

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400041
https://www.rei.com/product/819883/pe...ke-shoe-covers
Old 12-01-11, 11:31 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Plenty about but make certain they are windproof.

I was lucky and bought mine at the LBS on a ride. That way I made certain they were the right size. That can be difficult to judge correctly.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-01-11, 02:12 PM
BITSA
Just Ride

Bikes: Trek Domane 7 SLR // Cervelo R3T // Trek Madone 4.5 // Trek 6000D //Peugeot P6 (1986)//Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both a set of Pearl Izumis and a set of Gore Bike Wear thermo covers. The Gore's are good from low 30s to low 50s were the Pearl Izumis are only good from upper 40s to mid 60s.
Needless to say, I mostly use the Gore's as good wool socks work well into the 50s.
Old 12-03-11, 12:02 AM
ItsJustAHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Venturas from Shimano's PRO line:

Super thick rubber and neoprene with fleece lining. Best to order from the UK, hard to find and pricey here.
Old 12-03-11, 01:39 PM
Drumnagorrach

Bikes: 531 Harry Hall/late seventies . Giant trance 3. Sabbath Silk Road Ti.d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too, live in the north east,mid way between Aberdeen and Inverness,probably not the same north east eh.
But it's turned cold here, the westerly airflow has kept it in the 8-12 dec C area up untill this weekend,it's dropped to 2deg C mid day with a strong wind now.
So this evening I ordered a pair of "endura " thermal socks and a pair of neoprene overboots,just hope my feet will stay reasonable, they were damn painfull this afternoon.
Cheers
Lee
Old 12-03-11, 01:56 PM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just picked up a pair of lake brand winter shoes-- for $45 on ebay (the seller had several pair--all NWT in various sizes). They are made of neoprene, so basically it is a cycling shoe with the cover built in. The price was right. I rode them this morning--started out at around 35 degrees- my feet were toasty all the way. I bought them because I really don't like overshoes.
(they are for spd style cleats--)

train safe-
Old 12-03-11, 03:24 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
The issue I've found with cycling overshoes is that I could never find any to fit over my size 46 shoes. Even when I ran a bike shop, the largest sizes I could get never worked.
A couple of winters ago, I put Gore overboots on my Christmas list, and Santa dutifully left me a pair in the largest size available.
The zippers both exploded on the first fitting attempt, so I returned them to the store for a credit.
I ended up buying a pair of oversized cycling shoes, and bought a pair of neoprene liners to wear over my socks.
Keeps my feet warm down to 0 f anyway.
Old 12-03-11, 07:18 PM
Mongoeric

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Equipment Coop

I have some house brand Mountain Equipment Coop that work well. I have a size 13 shoe and the XL's fit fine.

The are base in Canada but I've been told that they ship to the States.
Old 12-03-11, 08:12 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Any neoprene shoe cover. They all fit poorly and you are lucky to get season out of them so don't go nuts on spending.
Old 12-04-11, 11:10 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I'm with Dan........ I've also settled on a pair of oversized mtb type shoes. I wear a size 12 shoe over my size 11 feet with a pair of liners, some ski socks and maybe a pair of heavy smart wool socks as well. I wrap duct tape over the toe areas to defeat the wind. This keeps me happy down to 15 degrees or so when the cleats start to suck too much body heat from the balls of my feet. I'm thinking that this year I might slice a piece of neoprene from an old shoe cover and line the cleat area to help with that.

For me, winter riding is really not about performance. Its more just to get out and enjoy some winter air and to retain some semblance of fitness.
Old 12-04-11, 12:31 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
I'm with Dan........ I've also settled on a pair of oversized mtb type shoes. I wear a size 12 shoe over my size 11 feet with a pair of liners, some ski socks and maybe a pair of heavy smart wool socks as well. I wrap duct tape over the toe areas to defeat the wind. This keeps me happy down to 15 degrees or so when the cleats start to suck too much body heat from the balls of my feet. I'm thinking that this year I might slice a piece of neoprene from an old shoe cover and line the cleat area to help with that.

For me, winter riding is really not about performance. Its more just to get out and enjoy some winter air and to retain some semblance of fitness.
I put a set of felt insoles with reflective liner material similar in appearance to tinfoil in the shoes to deal with the conductivity of the SPD cleats. Seems to work OK down to 0 f anyway. That's -18c BTW.
Old 12-04-11, 03:11 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I live in New England and use Sugoi Resistor shoe covers. They're made of thin coated stretchy material and fit snugly and very aero(ly?). There's a Cordura part that goes under the toe of the shoe which I reinforced with shoe goo to prolong its life.
Old 12-04-11, 04:15 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Got these at my LBS for $20. Made a huge difference in my riding comfort. I highly recommend them...

Old 12-04-11, 05:21 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tandemnh
I live in the NorthEast and looking for boot covers to keep warm to extend my riding maybe all winter. I ride primarily on-road. What are the suggestions and how low can the go?
Since frost bite is a really bad deal I'd suggest that you shop for high quality "sub-zero winter boots" to protect your feet while you ride.

NOTE: Winter boot selection is no time to go on the cheap!! No, it is not...........

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?