Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just finished moving and...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 09:46 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

I just moved a few miles down the road, and about a half century back in time. I am living three blocks out of the square. I have seen two bicycles the whole time I have been here, both on the sidewalk, and one of them under a 12 year old (or so) kid. I am very anxious to get back on my bike as it's been a couple of weeks with the move and all. At the same time, I am more than a little intimidated by the complete lack of the presence of other cyclists. I have to ride right through town in order to get back over towards the only area that I currently know is "good for riding" by way of good roads, less traffic, and frequented by cyclists, which is about 7 miles away.

I don't want to have to drive my car over to another area to ride, but am considering it. I witnessed four car wrecks over this past few days. All of them were in a 35 MPH zone that no one follows. Every one of them at a stoplight, and so far as I could tell, totally preventable. I was most definitely spoiled by the area I was cycling in before. I thought traffic was bad there...HA!

Well, first ride within the next day or so. If y'all don't hear back from me assume I am in some redneck's truck tread somewhere.