Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Riding with a video camera? I don't do this any more.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 09:58 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't do this any more.

Why?

I realized two things:

1) I get too preoccupied with it. I pay more attention to what I might be capturing and less attention to what's going on around me. I am a lot more focused on my surroundings without the cam.

2) I get more self-righteous, militant, anxious and irritated because I look for stuff to happen and I get absorbed with little things that I'd otherwise completely ignore. I'm much calmer without the camera and stuff just flies by me without absorbing my attention.

My commute is calmer and more enjoyable without the camera.
Old 04-12-12, 10:01 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I don't do this any more.

Why?

I realized two things:

1) I get too preoccupied with it. I pay more attention to what I might be capturing and less attention to what's going on around me. I am a lot more focused on my surroundings without the cam.

2) I get more self-righteous, militant, anxious and irritated because I look for stuff to happen and I get absorbed with little things that I'd otherwise completely ignore. I'm much calmer without the camera and stuff just flies by me without absorbing my attention.

My commute is calmer and more enjoyable without the camera.
I found the camera more useful for showing off what it's like to ride a bike here in Houston than to actually document passing infractions. On my early hero camera the detail isn't sufficient to pick up a license plate.
Old 04-12-12, 10:07 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The camera helped me with a complaint about a city bus only once. It's Drift HD170. Even though it has enough detail at 1080p it has to be pretty steady to capture it clearly for long enough to be readable, at least one clear frame. At 30fps it's usually just a blur. It can capture 60fps but at 720p only. Plus my head moves too much. Yeah, it might be fun from time to time but not every day. But then I'd run it at 720p and 60fps.
Old 04-12-12, 10:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,805 Times in 2,594 Posts
It does sometimes seem like cameras become an obsession. I wish I could get a camera where all you have to do is set and forget, but you have to constantly fiddle with the storage.
Old 04-12-12, 10:17 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I've seen enough Joey Bike videos that I don't really need to see any more footage of people's commutes, - especially my own. I already see that every day.

If your intent was record infractions I could see how that would get to be a distraction and could take the fun out of riding.

It might be interesting to ride with one after a bad storm or fun to capture a snowy winter ride for posterity.

If you want something cool to do with a small video camera (like the keychain variety). Strap one to the side of model rocket facing downward.
Old 04-12-12, 10:34 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't even remember I have it on. I notice it when I put my helmet on and take it off because it's there, but I don't think I've ever remembered that it was there when I was riding.
Old 04-12-12, 10:37 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I've seen enough Joey Bike videos that I don't really need to see any more footage of people's commutes, - especially my own. I already see that every day.

If your intent was record infractions I could see how that would get to be a distraction and could take the fun out of riding.

It might be interesting to ride with one after a bad storm or fun to capture a snowy winter ride for posterity.

If you want something cool to do with a small video camera (like the keychain variety). Strap one to the side of model rocket facing downward.
I would love to do that with an RC helicopter