Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1983 Davidson Custom Touring bike revival thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 09:24 PM
sunvalleylaw

Bikes: 2016 Kona Process 111, 2004 Merckx Fuga, '89 Fisher Paragon, converted to 700c, 1983 Davidson touring custom

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

There are several threads scattered around that I started, or posted in, asking questions to find out about my "barn find.", an early 80's Davidson. Some have asked to be kept up on progress. So, I thought I would start a thread encompassing it all, as I am starting to figure out what I want to do and not do. So, I can start documenting some progress over the next few weeks as I go.

Also, wanted to document the history of the bike, as I am pretty stoked to have found it, and that the original owner, who is a friend of mine, and close friend of my now deceased mother in law, deemed me worthy of receiving it. First, the bike, as I found it in the back shed.

To the best of my knowledge, it was made in 1983. It was made custom by Bill Davidson, in his Kent, WA home shop for my friend Dorothy Ann (DA), who is now in her 90's, and sharp as a tack, though her eyesight has succumbed to macular degeneration. I confirmed the approximate date it was made because DA was able to remember she got it about a year before she took it to Japan to tour, and found out that the trip was in 1984. She ordered it along with a friend from the Boeing Bike Club, who also ordered a bike. They went out several times to "the country" in Kent for fittings, etc. She said her friend researched and chose the components, with input from Bill, and that her big input was wanting it painted blue. Bless her. I spoke to Bill Davidson, and he thought he remembered her due to her somewhat unusual name. He guessed it was an early 80's bike, before DA figured out when her trip was and narrowed it down. So it appears it was built during the transition period between Bill's work at his home shop, and the Pike Place located Elliot Bay Bicycles store.

It has Sachs-Huret FD and RD, TA crankset, campy headset and hubs, Weinmann A124 rims, SR Sakae stem and bar (World Randonneur), Suntour bar end shifters, Specialized Touring tires, and a "Jim Blackburn" rear rack. It has currently an Avocet Touring IIW seat. It has a braze on for its frame pump, and is brazed for bar-end shifters only. Per request. I found extra spokes secured to the rack.

DA, a never married PE (and other) teacher at Bellevue, WA schools, toured with her friend and the Boeing Bike Club all around the PNW, the San Juans, British Columbia, both inner and coastal, Japan as mentioned, and a long leg of the Lewis and Clark trail from St. Louis up toward the mountains, before she had to abandon the trip to care for her ailing mother in Hailey, Idaho. She is going to show me some pictures and tell me more about her travels over tea in the next weeks and months. The paint shows her loving use of her beloved bike, and its many miles. No dents or anything like that though. Just paint chips and scratches, and her attempts to touch them up. When she moved here permanently in the late 90's (I think, will verify) to care for her mom full time, she still rode it around here, until her eyes started to fail her. She had it serviced a few years ago by my LBS friend and fellow mountain biker, and decided she would either start riding it again or sell it. Neither happened, and it ended up stored in her carport shed. (dry, but unheated, not insulated, etc. Basically a decent barn.)

DA and my mother in law were fast friends before Ada died from dementia. On walks, Ada could tell DA what the road signs said, and DA knew where they were, and so they were able to walk around town, until Ada's condition worsened. I am doing some work for DA, and DA told me about the bike, and that she was thinking about selling it, She had not, because she wanted to find the right home for it. I, looking at her size relative to mine, said I would love to take a look. She knows I love to bicycle, and when she saw how interested and pleased I was with it, she said she wanted me to have it. We then struck a deal. She has a large framed print in her kitchen dining area that displays her favorite saying, and her attitude about life, along with a picture of someone riding a touring type bike. It says "Life is a Beautiful Ride!" She is a pretty inspiring person.

DA happens to have my same inseam, and is only a little shorter in her trunk and reach. She was approximately an inch to an inch and a half shorter than me when she had the bike made. Therefore, standover was perfect, and I did not have to move the saddle even a quarter inch when I climbed on. I will have to install a longer stem, and will install wider bars, of a similar rando shape to what is there now. I already swapped out the toe clips (will verify what they are) in favor of my usual SPDs. I also pulled the black electrician's tape off the top tube.

I will overhaul the hubs, headset, freewheel, bottom bracket, etc., and replace the cables and housing (for the shifters anyway, the brakes seem to work fine) and adjust appropriately. Replace tires, replace bar and stem (and tape), brake levers, saddle, and that is about it. Oh, and fix the front fender where the left stay attachment is missing. And lights and a mount for my data device. I have ridden to Ketchum and back a couple times, loaded, and it performed very well, considering. Nothing felt too gummed up. That said, I will want to go ahead and clean and re-pack, re-lube everything.

As I said, I have started some threads where I have been planning my moves. As I pull the trigger on decisions and get things done, I will update. I will also update as I learn more about the bike and its travels with DA.

For those of you that know a lot of this already, and it is repetition, I apologize. But I thought it might be nice to have a thread where my revival project is documented in one place.

Cheers! And thanks for all the help!

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-15-17 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 09:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Wonderful story!

I'm sure DA is waiting to hear of new travels this machine will have.
Old 05-14-17, 10:01 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
"Life is a Beautiful Ride!"

Well, that's a forever bike for sure. Great people and story; just perfect that the bike will continue its way through you. Keep the updates and pics coming, enjoy it and let it fly!

Last edited by Sir_Name; 05-14-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 10:37 PM
sunvalleylaw

Bikes: 2016 Kona Process 111, 2004 Merckx Fuga, '89 Fisher Paragon, converted to 700c, 1983 Davidson touring custom

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys. I should also say that my mother in law, Ada, also bike toured a little in her later years. Though not on nearly as nice a bike and not with DA. I recall helping her pack up her pretty new "Performance" hybrid type bike for a trip to Ireland where she toured with her bike group, in the rain and sun, sleeping at inns and even once above a public house, sampling the local stout. She also toured France another time, on that bike. She moved her from Holland in the early 50's, having survived her high school years during Nazi occupation of her home near Arnhem, really closer to Oosterbeek. Think the movie, "A Bridge Too Far." She was rousted from her home, and had lost contact with her Dad and family, before they were reunited, and lived somewhere else during the war. We took her on a "bucket list" trip back home after the dementia started to set in, and were fortunate enough to enjoy a supported bike tour of Holland, starting in Haarlem, through Leiden, Gouda, Schoonhoven and finishing in Utrecht, while she stayed with her family in her brother's home. Very fun.

A little photographic detour here, but I think it helps set the tone for this bike and project. This trip, and my experience in the Netherlands, seeing all the people cycling for simple transportation, casual recreation, and just fun, without a full kit and kevlar/carbon everything, inspired me to turn my old 1989 Fisher Paragon into a 700c touring/allroad/commuter bike. Also thinking about Ada's experiences bike touring and exploring. So, here you go. (I made us wear helmets, as I did not know where I was going, would be relying on our Garvins, and had no idea how traffic and safety would be. Hardly anyone else had one. I still pretty much always wear a helmet.)

And, so this:

And with this new addition and project, as it appears now:

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-15-17 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 12:47 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
What a fabulous story, this is what makes the C+V world go round imho, great bike, great story, its all good, thank you so much for sharing. These bikes are wonderful in their own right to be sure, but when a full excellent backstory like this comes with them it is priceless to me and I love it when this happens.

Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
There are several threads scattered around that I started, or posted in, asking questions to find out about my "barn find.", an early 80's Davidson. Some have asked to be kept up on progress. So, I thought I would start a thread encompassing it all, as I am starting to figure out what I want to do and not do. So, I can start documenting some progress over the next few weeks as I go.

Also, wanted to document the history of the bike, as I am pretty stoked to have found it, and that the original owner, who is a friend of mine, and close friend of my now deceased mother in law, deemed me worthy of receiving it. First, the bike, as I found it in the back shed.

To the best of my knowledge, it was made in 1983. It was made custom by Bill Davidson, in his Kent, WA home shop for my friend Dorothy Ann (DA), who is now in her 90's, and sharp as a tack, though her eyesight has succumbed to macular degeneration. I confirmed the approximate date it was made because DA was able to remember she got it about a year before she took it to Japan to tour, and found out that the trip was in 1984. She ordered it along with a friend from the Boeing Bike Club, who also ordered a bike. They went out several times to "the country" in Kent for fittings, etc. She said her friend researched and chose the components, with input from Bill, and that her big input was wanting it painted blue. Bless her. I spoke to Bill Davidson, and he thought he remembered her due to her somewhat unusual name. He guessed it was an early 80's bike, before DA figured out when her trip was and narrowed it down. So it appears it was built during the transition period between Bill's work at his home shop, and the Pike Place located Elliot Bay Bicycles store.

It has Sachs-Huret transmission, TA crankset, campy headset and hubs, Weinmann A124 rims, SR Sakae stem and bar (World Randonneur), Suntour bar end shifters, Specialized Touring tires, and a "Jim Blackburn" rear rack. It has currently an Avocet Touring IIW seat. It has a braze on for its frame pump, and is brazed for bar-end shifters only. Per request. I found extra spokes secured to the rack.

DA, a never married PE (and other) teacher at Bellevue, WA schools, toured with her friend and the Boeing Bike Club all around the PNW, the San Juans, British Columbia, both inner and coastal, Japan as mentioned, and a long leg of the Lewis and Clark trail from St. Louis up toward the mountains, before she had to abandon the trip to care for her ailing mother in Hailey, Idaho. She is going to show me some pictures and tell me more about her travels over tea in the next weeks and months. The paint shows her loving use of her beloved bike, and its many miles. No dents or anything like that though. Just paint chips and scratches, and her attempts to touch them up. When she moved here permanently in the late 90's (I think, will verify) to care for her mom full time, she still rode it around here, until her eyes started to fail her. She had it serviced a few years ago by my LBS friend and fellow mountain biker, and decided she would either start riding it again or sell it. Neither happened, and it ended up stored in her carport shed. (dry, but unheated, not insulated, etc. Basically a decent barn.)

DA and my mother in law were fast friends before Ada died from dementia. On walks, Ada could tell DA what the road signs said, and DA knew where they were, and so they were able to walk around town, until Ada's condition worsened. I am doing some work for DA, and DA told me about the bike, and that she was thinking about selling it, She had not, because she wanted to find the right home for it. I, looking at her size relative to mine, said I would love to take a look. She knows I love to bicycle, and when she saw how interested and pleased I was with it, she said she wanted me to have it. We then struck a deal. She has a large framed print in her kitchen dining area that displays her favorite saying, and her attitude about life, along with a picture of someone riding a touring type bike. It says "Life is a Beautiful Ride!" She is a pretty inspiring person.

DA happens to have my same inseam, and is only a little shorter in her trunk and reach. She was approximately an inch to an inch and a half shorter than me when she had the bike made. Therefore, standover was perfect, and I did not have to move the saddle even a quarter inch when I climbed on. I will have to install a longer stem, and will install wider bars, of a similar rando shape to what is there now. I already swapped out the toe clips (will verify what they are) in favor of my usual SPDs. I also pulled the black electrician's tape off the top tube.

I will overhaul the hubs, headset, freewheel, bottom bracket, etc., and replace the cables and housing (for the shifters anyway, the brakes seem to work fine) and adjust appropriately. Replace tires, replace bar and stem (and tape), brake levers, saddle, and that is about it. Oh, and fix the front fender where the left stay attachment is missing. And lights and a mount for my data device. I have ridden to Ketchum and back a couple times, loaded, and it performed very well, considering. Nothing felt too gummed up. That said, I will want to go ahead and clean and re-pack, re-lube everything.

As I said, I have started some threads where I have been planning my moves. As I pull the trigger on decisions and get things done, I will update. I will also update as I learn more about the bike and its travels with DA.

For those of you that know a lot of this already, and it is repetition, I apologize. But I thought it might be nice to have a thread where my revival project is documented in one place.

Cheers! And thanks for all the help!
Old 05-15-17, 10:50 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
When you write DA, I keep thinking Dura Ace. I must jhave too much biking on the brain.

I love her outlook, especially the "Life is a Beautiful Ride!"
Old 05-15-17, 11:44 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Wow. What an inspirational story. Almost made me teary eyed.

This is one of the aspects that I adore about C&V, finding beautiful bikes with a beautiful story attached to them and giving those bikes a new lease on life.

I hope you have many happy miles on this bike.
Old 05-15-17, 12:47 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I swear, we should have a thread called "Behind The Bike", like that old VH1 show "Behind The Music". This would be the perfect bike story to start it off

I like hearing updates about it, how you're going to tweak it to make it work for you, etc. Preserving it's history sounds as important to you as getting it riding again - kudos to you!

DD
Old 05-15-17, 01:28 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
What a cool bike and story. Someone above makes a comment about what DA means to him/her. To me, it currently has to mean Dorothy Ann because my kids are (re-)watching The Magic School Bus on Netflix and both the name and the abbreviation are used for one of the main characters.
Old 05-15-17, 05:59 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I think you've got a pretty good idea of where you're going on this-

I think I'd probably do about the same thing as you with the bars- B177 and then the TRP levers.

Whatever saddle works for you- A Brooks Cambium is the Cat's Pyjamas to me.

Replace the Duopar with something more... reliable. A Suntour V-GT-Luxe or Cyclone GT or Cyclone MII GT rear derailleur would totally be correct on that bike.

Grease, bearings... new cables and housing and then a set of Compass 35mm tires... It's on.

Oh, and see if a Shimano 6 speed freewheel will fit.

Whatever you do- this bike gets the good stuff.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-15-17, 07:35 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
replies are the plan, at this stage.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I think you've got a pretty good idea of where you're going on this-

I think I'd probably do about the same thing as you with the bars- B177 and then the TRP levers. (B135, TRP levers)

Whatever saddle works for you- A Brooks Cambium is the Cat's Pyjamas to me. (a plain black WTB rocket. The one that works best for me. Not toO NASCAR-Y)

Replace the Duopar with something more... reliable. A Suntour V-GT-Luxe or Cyclone GT or Cyclone MII GT rear derailleur would totally be correct on that bike. (Gonna try to repair/spruce up what is there, and just use it.
Will change if I have to.

Grease, bearings... new cables and housing (yes) and then a set of Compass 35mm tires..(Went with Clement Strada RGG, stuck with 32c, gum wall. They are ordered and on the way). It's on.

Oh, and see if a Shimano 6 speed freewheel will fit. (will check that out, there appears to be an option or two mentioned in my thread on that question.)

Whatever you do- this bike gets the good stuff. (yes! )
Plans are as above. I plan on learning to do a lot of this myself, but, will get some initial help with the initial overhaul of bottom bracket, hubs, headseat, etc. And will see what the guy (experienced, seems good) recommends with regard to freewheel replacement.

Excited by the project and to ride, so need to get it at least initially roadworthy with some help.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-15-17 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 10:00 AM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Brief update, got a cleaner Duopar in from ebay to either use to swap parts into mine, or replace mine with. Will need some help from the bike mechanic to see what will be better. Seems like the spring is not attached properly to give the replacement one tension. I can post up a pic when I am home tonight.

I spent last night watching vids on how to service freewheels and hubs ( RJ the Bike guy seems to be practical and easy to follow. ) But will probably get some help with a good tune/overhaul to start, once I have the bar and stem and brake levers in hand that I want to use.
Old 05-17-17, 09:56 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A good article about the builder here: Bill Davidson: Seattle?s Legendary Frame Builder | The Bicycle Story
Old 05-18-17, 01:03 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had another little conversation with Bill Davidson. What a nice guy! He didn't mind at all helping me figure out the tubing, and he is nearly certain it is Reynolds 531 on that bike, and gave me some measurements for the fork to try and verify. He says the chrome lugs on the fork are cinelli.

I have tires and a saddle on the way. Was hoping to stop in at biketouringnews bike shop in Boise this weekend to verify my stem and bar for purchase, but they will be out on a bike tour. I am pretty certain on the bar, and will just need to work on the stem length. It will likely be either a 100 or 110.
Old 05-20-17, 08:13 AM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been slowed down on my progress, as I have not been able to connect with the bike stores I want to to go check out sizes of bars and stems in person. I have a soccer tournament in Boise this weekend, and unfortunately, the biketouringnews.com folks, who have all that stuff, are out on a bike tour this weekend. But I will go by the Boise Bike Project, the bike co-op, to see what they have too. Also, I just love to go there and see what old bikes they are re-habbing, and to be a part of their bike hippy culture. It is a fun place.

I did pick up this Sachs-Huret duopar, which seems to have its spring not hooked properly, from ebay for cheap. I am going to see if I should replace the Sachs-huret on the bike, which shifts fine, but has a worn out lower pulley wheel, or if I will just scavenge parts, such as the better pulley wheels, (and the logo) from this replacement one.

I will also take the rear wheel in with me to the BBP and see if I can determine what freewheel is on there and what puller I will need.

Here is a close up of the original, fresh out of the "barn".

Old 05-21-17, 11:16 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got a fair bit of work done this weekend on two bikes. Will throw in the other bike here as well, just because. The Boise Bicycle Project co-op is a good thing.

Lots of stuff today.

The converted Fisher MTB (26to700c),

Replaced quill stem with quill stem to threadless converter, Nitto. Added Bontrager stem with rise, purchased from the Boise Bike Project.

Then, changed out kinda english 3 speed type bars for a pair of Jones bars I got off guy here in town who swapped his out for Jones mustache style. Pre-wrapped and came with silicon grips. I wanted some more aero options for windy days. Need to adjust height. I think I can raise the adapter in the head tube a bit, as I pushed it in there pretty far. Then will see if I want more rise on the stem. I think I like the reach. Bar ends clear my knees in smaller maneuvers, stretching out on the alternate hand positions feels good, other than may want to be a bit higher. This bike will be for more aggressive gravel roads, and general cruising around town/grocery getting, etc.

The Davidson Touring Bike.

Swapped out ladies' Avocet Touring saddle for my favorite WTB Rocket V, in black leatherette, with pretty subtle logos. A saddle I have used on my Kona mountain bike and which I thought would look ok on the Davidson, without a lot of flashy lettering.

Also, bought a Park made Suntour freewheel took, and pulled the old 5 speed Suntour freewheel and installed a 6 Speed suntour freewheel, also purchased from the Boise Bike project. Gotta love $5 freewheels and stems. Cleaned it up a little (will probably take a little more cleaning, but works fine) and it dropped right in. Adjusted the limit screws (particularly the outside limit) and works just fine! The small sprocket is still a 14 as originally, but the largest one is now 32 instead of 34, with an additional gear in the range. I like the gear spacing better.

Still need to clean up the cable and housing and replace the chain, and generally clean and re-lube/grease everything. Will be working on new stem and bar next on this one. And replacing the old tires that are dried out.

Pics taken while bike hung back up, and pics then flipped over for ease of viewing.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-21-17 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:01 AM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ordered the Nitto B135 https://store.biketouringnews.com/ni...ndonneur-b135/
in the 45cm width, and intend on putting it on the current stem to play with a day or so to determine what length stem to order. I can crunch some numbers, but I just want to feel it in person.

The current one is 60mm, and I have been thinking 100mm. But putting it on there, even without tape for a day, will help me decide. There is a skoche more reach with the new bar, and of course the increased width will take up some of my reach. I will stay with the "normal" Nitto Technomic height as that puts me where I am now, which is pretty even with the saddle, and comfortable.

The "new" old Suntour 6 speed freewheel is nice, and has nicer action and operation. But I need to also swap out the chain, and just start over with clean parts. Was kinda waiting on the bars for a full overhaul/tune which would cover all that.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-23-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 10:38 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw

Wow -- looks like that bike is going to have a good life when you're done with it! My dad lives in Boise, and this makes me want to get him into cycling.
Old 05-23-17, 11:15 AM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Wow -- looks like that bike is going to have a good life when you're done with it! My dad lives in Boise, and this makes me want to get him into cycling.
As I am sure you know, this is up in the Wood River Valley, and the commute that pic is from is between Ketchum and Hailey. 500 feet or so elevation gains unless you add on the side options, and nice, uncrowded, MUP trail the entire way. Lots and lots of good riding in Boise too. And a good cycling community. The folks at George's cycles are good, and I love the Boise Bike Project Bike Co-op as well.

There are some decent MUP trails (maybe more crowded in spots but still nice), lots of country road, and climbing if you want it. And good mountainbiking for all abilities accessible right from town.

He should go to George's or the BBP and see about a riding group to get started with. Oh, and there is a newer store, biketouringnews.com that specializes more in touring/gravel/allroad laid back riding that has group rides for all abilities too. He should talk to Jim and Stacy there too. They have been of assistance in helping me figure out what I want for this bike, and seem like good folks. Upper middle age, kids raised, and into cycling for enjoyment.
Old 06-05-17, 10:23 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My new handlebars came in. Nitto B135, 45cm. I like the look! Basically the same (well, pretty darned close anyway) as the SR Sakae World Randos on there, but wider. Exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to put them on with just some temporary tape to test it out. Then order my brake levers. Still thinking the TRP levers, with gum hoods. Going to install these on the old stem to check them out. Thinking a 100mm will be all I need at most. But want to test it as is first, with the wider bars.
Old 06-06-17, 07:58 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Wow...thank you sharing your story...it is why I enjoy old bicycles. Selfishly, I enjoyed it that much more because your bike is a Davidson. I have a late '80s (I think) Davidson Impulse. Unlike your back story, I have none...I bought the bike from ebay...and that's it. But, I just love riding it...it's a great bike.

I look forward to your updates!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170606_192850.jpg (101.8 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by ohjonnybegoode; 06-06-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 10:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
You just started the back story, great bike united with the right person and it now goes on from there, most excellent!

Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Wow...thank you sharing your story...it is why I enjoy old bicycles. Selfishly, I enjoyed it that much more because your bike is a Davidson. I have a late '80s (I think) Davidson Impulse. Unlike your back story, I have none...I bought the bike from ebay...and that's it. But, I just love riding it...it's a great bike.

Old 06-07-17, 10:10 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Installed the Clement Strada LGG 32's. Needed to remove the current fenders, as they won't accept 32's. They seemed to mount up fine on the old Weinmann rims (w/o a rim hook to speak of) and they held nicely today. Seemed secure. Also ran smoothly and nicely on my commute today. I need to clean up the sidewalls a bit as my hands were grimy late at night as I finished working last night. I like the look. Will see about getting a good looking fender that will take 32s. The current fenders are kind of broken anyway, and do not give much clearance. Won't really need them for a while, here in mostly dry Idaho. Though now that I said that, I will get caught in an afternoon thunderstorm promptly.

Also, started the handlebar replacement. took off the foam grips and unwound all the electrician's tape, and removed the last vestiges of the old computer you can still see hanging there in this photo. Then came in to learn about removing bar con shifters, and changing out brake levers. Found all the info here, thank you very much!

I don't have the new brake levers yet so may wrap it back up temporarily as I test out the new bar to see what stem I want. I stopped by the LBS, which had pale pink specialized bar tape for a buck, which I can use temporarily while I experiment. I am man enough to rock the pink. Ultimately, I think I will use a dark red tape I found on Amazon, by SRAM. It will pick up part of the Davidson logos.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 06-07-17 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 10:12 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode

Nice! Thanks for checking in! I like my new to me Davidson quite a lot!

And @merziac , also, nice! I really wish there was a like button here.
Old 06-07-17, 10:35 PM
sunvalleylaw

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: fenders, looks like the SKS P45 Silver Chromoplastic Longboard will do nicely, and keep the look that was on there. I am not sure, but perhaps the originals were also SKS. I will look more closely to find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.