Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Expensive vs cheap chains

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 01:42 PM
Rkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
i was just wondering what the difference is between a cheap chain such as the kmc x9.9 vs a more expensive chain like the sram 991 chain. Could someone let me know?

Thanks in advanced
Old 05-10-18, 03:08 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Weight?

As mentioned on the OTHER thread on chains, KMC makes the SRAM chain... and Shimano chains.
Old 05-10-18, 03:25 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight. Bling factor, maybe (shiny and with cut-outs). I save my money and buy cheap chains. The few grams saved doesn't matter, and after a few rides most of the shine is gone.
Old 05-10-18, 04:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Yep, the KMC chains are good IMO. The shiny blingy ones work just a well as the plain ones. Maybe a touch harder to clean and weight a bit more but no reason to buy shiny for a few grams...not for me anyway.
Old 05-10-18, 07:24 PM
sanmi

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some people like spending money. Cheap chains have always been fine for me.
Old 05-11-18, 10:10 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not a 9speed, but I run KMC 11-speed chains (X11.93) on both my road and cross bikes. Minimal difference in weight between that and spending twice as much on Shimano or SRAM, and I've noticed no discernible difference in shifting performance or durability/longevity.
Old 05-11-18, 10:54 AM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KMC chains are infinitely easier to maintain. Undo the link. (Buy set of kmc links with your chain). Take chain off the bike. Clean everything. Put it back on the bike. Reattach a new link. Just like new.

edit:

looks like the Shimano chains have quick links now too.

Last edited by exime; 05-11-18 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-11-18, 11:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
As mentioned on the OTHER thread on chains, KMC makes the SRAM chain... and Shimano chains.
True for Shimano, don't think so on the SRAM. (Unless KMC has a factory in Portugal.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-11-18, 11:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've used both a SRAM PC-1110 and a Connex 11SX-- that's a $14 chain vs. a $70 chain. The Connex was a little quieter, and the shifting stayed smoother a bit longer. Did it last long enough to warrant the disparity in price, or perform better in any measurable regard to warrant said price? It did not. I mean, it would need to last 5x as long to beat the 1110 on $$$ per mile alone.

Chains, as with anything else, have a sweet-spot in price where going below saves you a few bucks in exchange for a little more weight and a lot less bling, and going above costs you a few bucks (or more) for a little less weight and often a lot more bling. So I just generally stick to the chain that matches the cassette. Buy a 6800 cassette, get a 6800 (or HG701) chain. Same for SRAM 1170, 1190, whatever. A very good chain can be had all day for about 35 bucks. There aren't many other parts that last as long, while doing as much work, for as little money. But if I'm riding in the mud and muck, I don't hesitate to pick up another PC-1110. They're so cheap they're nearly disposable.
Old 05-11-18, 11:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I've been chewing up Shimano chains all too quickly. 1000 to 2000 and they're toast.

And, with a little lapse of attention, my cassette or freewheel is toast too.

I've decided to run a test with Wippermann Connex SX chains. I have a couple of them on order, and am waiting for then to arrive.

My hope is to get 3x as many miles out of a chain, and lessen the wear on the cassettes. I've rotated a couple of chains out, but have been avoiding rotating then back in. However, say I could rotate wear on 4 chains with a total of 5000 miles per chain, I could get a good long use out of the overall drivetrain... hopefully.

Anyway, at least the inside Wippermann wear tests indicate that not all chains are created equal.
Old 05-11-18, 02:45 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano chains destroy our cassette and freewheel? Weird I've been riding shimano chains my entire life and I've never heard of such a thing. Must be a Bike Forum thing.
Old 05-11-18, 03:25 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
Shimano chains destroy our cassette and freewheel? Weird I've been riding shimano chains my entire life and I've never heard of such a thing. Must be a Bike Forum thing.
If you run them past 0.5% elongation they will quickly eat up cassettes and then chainrings.
Old 05-11-18, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Given; a tendency to use an expensive chain too long due to replacement costs ,
It may be better to buy several cheaper chains and replace them ,
often so as to not wear cassettes and chainrings as quickly..
Chains? It's all Steel in any case..
Old 05-11-18, 03:31 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
If you run them past 0.5% elongation they will quickly eat up cassettes and then chainrings.
True, but any worn out chain will do that, It’s not a trait that is exclusive to Shimano chains.
Old 05-11-18, 03:44 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
True, but any worn out chain will do that, It’s not a trait that is exclusive to Shimano chains.
I think he was saying that the shimano chains were wearing out quickly in 1-2000 miles, not that they were causing excess wear once worn out. I've seen 10 speed shimano chains wear out in that amount of time/distance using a thin lube on a wet weather commuter and learned my lesson quickly having to replace the cassette at the same time
Old 05-11-18, 04:08 PM
noodle soup

I think he was saying that the shimano chains were wearing out quickly in 1-2000 miles, not that they were causing excess wear once worn out. I've seen 10 speed shimano chains wear out in that amount of time/distance using a thin lube on a wet weather commuter and learned my lesson quickly having to replace the cassette at the same time
I concur.

My experience with Shimano chains is different, but so is my weather. I get about 3000-3300 miles from a DA chain, but I live in Phoenix. Wippermann chains last longer, but cost more. I guess a longer lasting chain would give the user a little more leeway before damaging the cassette.
Old 05-11-18, 04:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Chains? It's all Steel in any case..
A few varieties though.. just for the stainless:
Old 05-11-18, 04:28 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

A few varieties though.. just for the stainless:
thanks.

This doesn’t even take into account some of the coatings that reduce friction.

Some chains are better than others.
Old 05-12-18, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Such computer skills you can pay for expensive things like Bay area Houses, too
Old 05-12-18, 04:48 PM
CliffordK

I think there is a continuous wear caused by stretching a chain.

So, it isn't that everything is just fine up until 0.5%, or 0.8%, then all hell breaks loose.

Rather, a new cassette should work best with 0% chain wear, and will start seeing the chain climbing on the sprockets as one starts getting chain wear, and thus damaging the cassette.

So, extending that period of time just makes sense to me.

The question then is whether one is better off say rotating chains.

Riding to say 0.1% wear. Pulling it, putting a new chain on, riding it to 0.1% wear, then putting the original back on and riding it to 0.2% wear before rotating again.

That would be a lot of rotating, but a good opportunity for cleaning and maintenance.

And, of course, I hate putting a partly worn chain back onto my good cassettes and chainrings.

I do distribute my riding between a couple of bikes, but I do get quite a few miles in a year, so I can chew through quite a few chains & etc.

What I'll probably do is keep good chains on the road bike, then rotate them onto the commuter. Perhaps I can even break the sprockets into say a 0.3% worn chain.

As far as chain value:

Say Chain X costs $25
And Chain Y costs $50, but gets 2x the wear of chain X. Then I believe Chain Y may be a better deal due to making the chain wear through the least damaging periods longer. If, however, Chain Y gets 3x the wear, then it should be the obvious choice.

As stated, I'm still early in the Wippermann testing, but I have high hopes.
Old 05-12-18, 05:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

So, it isn't that everything is just fine up until 0.5%, or 0.8%, then all hell breaks loose.

Rather, a new cassette should work best with 0% chain wear, and will start seeing the chain climbing on the sprockets as one starts getting chain wear, and thus damaging the cassette.

Riding to say 0.1% wear. Pulling it, putting a new chain on, riding it to 0.1% wear, then putting the original back on and riding it to 0.2% wear before rotating again.

That would be a lot of rotating, but a good opportunity for cleaning and maintenance.

And, of course, I hate putting a partly worn chain back onto my good cassettes and chainrings.

I do distribute my riding between a couple of bikes, but I do get quite a few miles in a year, so I can chew through quite a few chains & etc.

What I'll probably do is keep good chains on the road bike, then rotate them onto the commuter. Perhaps I can even break the sprockets into say a 0.3% worn chain.

As far as chain value:

Say Chain X costs $25
And Chain Y costs $50, but gets 2x the wear of chain X. Then I believe Chain Y may be a better deal due to making the chain wear through the least damaging periods longer. If, however, Chain Y gets 3x the wear, then it should be the obvious choice.

You seemingly have seen the Wipperman test charts (which I've posted as well in other recent threads)? I'm not sure what your theory is as regards to what the least damaging period is(?), but the SX chain according to their chart, lasted 85 hours to get to .5% wear (great, right?). However, 60 of the 85 hours (70%) were spent in the .3 to .5% region. Isn't this then the chain that will be used in its most damaging period (to your cassette, chainrings) for the largest proportion of its lifetime?
Old 05-12-18, 05:34 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
After breaking a few stock chains on my Mtb's, I upgraded (?) to the gold series chains offered on Amazon. I have had such good luck with them that I decided to use them on my road bike and after 5,000 miles last year, the chain is still well within spec's.
Moral, as far as I am concerned.... the gold chains cost about double but last more than twice as long without leaving me stranded when the stockers break.
Old 05-12-18, 05:39 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You seemingly have seen the Wipperman test charts (which I've posted as well in other recent threads)? I'm not sure what your theory is as regards to what the least damaging period is(?), but the SX chain according to their chart, lasted 85 hours to get to .5% wear (great, right?). However, 60 of the 85 hours (70%) were spent in the .3 to .5% region. Isn't this then the chain that will be used in its most damaging period (to your cassette, chainrings) for the largest proportion of its lifetime?

Hmmm,

I was looking at their 1.0 as the endpoint. But, you're right, it depends on the endpoint one chooses.

The KMC 11sl Gold appears to have a slower initial wear, followed by a phase of rapidly accelerating wear as one passes 0.5% wear. Nonetheless, that might be a good alternative if one wishes to replace the chains early.
Old 05-12-18, 11:41 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

As far as chain value:

Say Chain X costs $25

That is a lot of rotation. How about rotating at 0.5% and discarding at 0.75-1%. There is no need for all the intermittent steps.
Old 05-13-18, 05:19 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
105 chains are 16$ at wiggle right now. Thats less than my average cafe stop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.