Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need new gravel bike suggestions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 06:36 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I'm sure several have asked for new gravel bike suggestions, but new models and deals are constantly changing so... I'm asking again.
Needs include lots climbing, real gravel roads, maybe easy mountain bike trails too.
I can't imagine a 50/34x11/32 will do it since that is the same gearing on my road bike. The hills here in the Catskills demand that type of gearing for a Clydesdale like me, but still a fast B+/A rider
Please post suggestions w/ links where to buy. Budget about $2,000
Thanks
Old 05-30-18, 08:40 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Overview:
Complete Bikes - Black Mountain Cycles

Disc:
MCD Complete - Black Mountain Cycles
Rim:
Monster Cross Bikes - Black Mountain Cycles

You can pick/swap out parts as you desire, Mike will work with you on that. I am going with a compact crank 48/32 and 36/11 in the back so that gives this Clyde a better than 1:1 lowest gear.
Old 05-31-18, 02:30 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I'm sure several have asked for new gravel bike suggestions, but new models and deals are constantly changing so... I'm asking again.
Needs include lots climbing, real gravel roads, maybe easy mountain bike trails too.
I can't imagine a 50/34x11/32 will do it since that is the same gearing on my road bike. The hills here in the Catskills demand that type of gearing for a Clydesdale like me, but still a fast B+/A rider
Thanks

https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-exp-carbon

Triple crank (for climbing options) / carbon frame / Spyre mechanical brakes.

If there's any 2017's left, then I'd consider that for an option.

Just how fast you can ride it will depend on you, I suppose.

For your planned use of the bike I really think you'd need to go alu or carbon for a bit of weight saving over a steel frame.

A lighterweight tyre would help with rolling.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 05-31-18 at 02:35 AM. Reason: txt
Old 05-31-18, 09:15 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl

For your planned use of the bike I really think you'd need to go alu or carbon for a bit of weight saving over a steel frame.

A lighterweight tyre would help with rolling.
For Clydes, at 200 lbs or more, the weight of the bike is not nearly so critical.
Old 05-31-18, 09:47 AM
Craptacular8

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Gravel Bike

Originally Posted by NYMXer
Thanks
For ready made, gearing that you're requesting, I'd say the Specialized Diverge for 2018 in the E5 alum frame would get a bike that's under 2000, takes a wider tire, is 105 equipped, using a 48/32 crank, and 11-32 behind. Not sure what your local dealer situation is however.
Old 05-31-18, 01:18 PM
jfoobar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
For ready made, gearing that you're requesting, I'd say the Specialized Diverge for 2018 in the E5 alum frame would get a bike that's under 2000, takes a wider tire, is 105 equipped, using a 48/32 crank, and 11-32 behind. Not sure what your local dealer situation is however.
I was also quite tempted by the gearing of the Diverge (compared to the compact that most of its competition sports), but 38s are effectively the widest tires that the bike will take. This is only a problem on the E5 models, not the carbon, but is a pretty big deal for some buyers. I would also say that $1900 is a little bit spendy for what you get on the E5 Comp. About $300 of that is for the "Specialized" on the tube. Still, test rode a couple last week and they were very nice bikes.
Old 05-31-18, 03:38 PM
Craptacular8

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jfoobar
I was also quite tempted by the gearing of the Diverge (compared to the compact that most of its competition sports), but 38s are effectively the widest tires that the bike will take. This is only a problem on the E5 models, not the carbon, but is a pretty big deal for some buyers. I would also say that $1900 is a little bit spendy for what you get on the E5 Comp. About $300 of that is for the "Specialized" on the tube. Still, test rode a couple last week and they were very nice bikes.

Didn't see tire size requirement in your post. Raleigh has the Tamland 1 for a hundred dollars less, similarly equipped, that would also get you a 46/34 crankset, so not quite as low, but decent. I'm afraid I'm not sure where to recommend a gravel bike with 105 level drive train that's 1600 or less, so if you already know of that product, I guess I'd go with that. The Diverge is one that still has short enough rear stays, etc to behave like a real road bike, cause that's basically what it is...just takes a little fatter tire. Personally, I ride a lot of gravel on 700x35's that in reality measure 38, I ride in a lot of wind, and deep, sandy gravel. The bike they are mounted on will run up to 44's, but I so far haven't felt the call to go bigger. I tend to ride a diverge with 700x32's about as often. I like big tires fine, and don't find them any sort of a hindrance to my riding, but I tend to take a straight up road bike, or the diverge for group rides.
Old 05-31-18, 05:02 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Didn't see tire size requirement in your post.
Wasn't my post. Just pointing it out in case he cared. A lot of people buy gravel bikes with the plans on equipping really wide tires at least on some rides.

Raleigh has the Tamland 1 for a hundred dollars less, similarly equipped...
That really isn't a fair comparison. No one pays full MSRP for a Raleigh. Their website regularly discounts that bike down into the $1400s, even if you don't use the corporate account trick. Amazon and Nashbar were selling it for $1300-$1400 all year. You just don't see that sort of discount on Specialized unless it is prior year inventory liquidation.

Fuji lists their Jari 1.3 with 105 and TRP HY/RD brakes for $1800. They don't have a 105+Spyre model but it is safe to say that if they did it would be noticeably less than that. Cannondale sells a 105+Spyre Synapse for $1499 (endurance, not gravel admittedly). Jamis sells a Renegade model with Tiagra+Spyre for $1200. They do not have a 105+Spyre (wish they did), but it is safe to say that it would not anywhere near $1900. Diamondback's Haanjo Trail has Ultegra and hydraulics for only $1999. GT's Grade Alloy Expert has 105+TRP HY/RD for $1449 also, but that price is ridiculously low for some reason.

I am too lazy to look for other comparables, but the only other brand I can think of that asks that much for a 105+Spyre gravel bike is Norco. Undoubtedly there are others, but I bet most/all of them are boutique-y. $1600-$1700 is a more appropriate price when you are not paying a brand premium. Don't get me wrong, if they can get it (and they obviously can), more power to them. Their checkered history of litigation aside, Specialized has earned their brand cache. I even seriously considered it and only ruled the Diverge E5 Comp out because of the tire width issue.
Old 05-31-18, 08:04 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The Raleigh tamland, willard, and roker can be a great bargain if you time the purchase right. I bought a brand new tamland off eBay for under $800 last fall.
Old 06-01-18, 09:10 AM
scharny

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are two from Kona and Specialized.

Kona Rove NRB - 650B plus size. My wife has one and she loves it.

Specialized Sequoia Elite - although somewhat heavy (beefy steel frame), this is a pretty neat setup that can handle big rubber and has a really forgiving gear ratio.

Both are well within your price range. Both can be used on rooty singletrack. Both have tubeless-ready rims with tires that can be run tubeless. Both have through-axles, tapered headsets, and carbon forks.

I think you need to go to a Spec or Kona dealer to get them.
Old 06-01-18, 06:00 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I like it except for the cable disc brakes. Seems like maybe I'll just have to accept that is what you get for under $2,000. Thanks
Old 06-01-18, 06:06 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Didn't see tire size requirement in your post.
Still pretty open minded but thinking 700x42 max, preferably 38's. Bike will be ridden on real gravel roads, occasional clean mtb trails, like old Jeep trails
Old 06-01-18, 09:17 PM
qbiker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't like the cable brakes on the Tamland either.I bought a Diamondback Haanjo Trail Shimano hydraulic, brakes,700 x 40 tires,2x11 46 36 front 11x 31 rear.I liked the Raleigh stuntman but decided it was to heavy and didn't want 1x11 on gravel bike
Old 06-24-18, 09:14 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I got the Jari 1.3 a few months back on sale for $1500. Just road the Black Fly in the Adirondacks a few weeks ago and the bike was great. Gearing was plenty low. Only issue was a flat about 10 miles from the finish. 35's are a pretty nice middle ground between on, and off road use. For grave racing I would definitely fit bigger ties next time. Stan's says I can go up to 45 mm on the stock wheels.
Old 06-24-18, 10:59 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Do you want something racy and road bike-like or more upright and touring bike-like?

If the former, I like the Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 and Specialized Diverge Sport . If the latter, I like the the Salsa Vaya and (similar) All City Space Horse. All are in your price range. If these don't work, there are about 50 bazillion other options.
Old 06-25-18, 12:20 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/gorilla_monsoon
Old 06-25-18, 12:29 AM
Metieval

see what you can get custom built for $2k

https://www.chumbausa.com/new-produc...um-coming-soon

when I think jeep trail & with light mtb trail, I'd go heavy and big tires.
Old 06-25-18, 01:17 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
see what you can get custom built for $2k

https://www.chumbausa.com/new-produc...um-coming-soon

when I think jeep trail & with light mtb trail, I'd go heavy and big tires.
I was eyeballing the Terlingua pretty hard before I decided on another route.

Frame and steel unicrown fork is $1450. Frame and carbon fork is $2k. Not much room for the components.
Old 06-27-18, 11:49 AM
ausfix

Bikes: Cube Agree and others . . .

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warning: bitter buyer's remorse rant follows. I would avoid the Sequoia Elite at its nominal retail price. I have one and I love most things about it, except I hate its weight. It's just too damn heavy. I spent months trying to ignore the fact that it's a tank, though often it can be a lot of fun. I literally called the shop that sold me the bike this morning, hoping for a decent trade-in, or cash, but of course that ain't happening. So now I'm weighing (ha) options like lighter wheels, lighter seat post, etc., but I think I'm just going to chalk it up to my N+1 foolishness, since the frame is the main weight culprit. I suppose it might make a decent camping/touring, "adventure" bike, but I don't do that, and it's still too heavy for the price. It's now my (expensive) grocery hauler.
Old 06-27-18, 01:10 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A warbird apex 1 might fit your needs, too - and it is under 22lbs stock. Sort of stuck with that paint scheme, though.
Old 06-28-18, 02:55 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
This is literally the only bike from QBP that I ever lusted after. And my lbs has one. And it's my size.
Old 06-28-18, 02:58 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by ausfix
Warning: bitter buyer's remorse rant follows. I would avoid the Sequoia Elite at its nominal retail price. I have one and I love most things about it, except I hate its weight. It's just too damn heavy. I spent months trying to ignore the fact that it's a tank, though often it can be a lot of fun. I literally called the shop that sold me the bike this morning, hoping for a decent trade-in, or cash, but of course that ain't happening. So now I'm weighing (ha) options like lighter wheels, lighter seat post, etc., but I think I'm just going to chalk it up to my N+1 foolishness, since the frame is the main weight culprit. I suppose it might make a decent camping/touring, "adventure" bike, but I don't do that, and it's still too heavy for the price. It's now my (expensive) grocery hauler.
How much does it weigh?
Old 06-28-18, 03:00 PM
shoota 

The Haanjo Trail with full Hydro Ultegra is something like $1300 after the corporate discount. That's pretty ridiculous.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...njo-trail-6940
Old 06-28-18, 07:45 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by shoota
This is literally the only bike from QBP that I ever lusted after. And my lbs has one. And it's my size.
my only con on it would be 38t max chainring limit.

However!!! for single track, jeep road, off the beaten path, hills! , loads, extra water, I am guessing that coasting down the hills, and plodding along the flat ridges enjoying the views a 36 or 38 is enough.
Old 06-29-18, 06:42 AM
ausfix

Bikes: Cube Agree and others . . .

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
How much does it weigh?
I'm not certain. It's a big frame and has racks right now. I'll be taking them off. I'll weigh it then. I'm also thinking about new wheels, but I'm not enthusiastic about that option. I'm pondering trading it in and getting a decent fixed-gear bike. I'll post the weight this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.