Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to fix tire puncture

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to fix tire puncture

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 08:18 PM
Bikerdrummer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
How to fix tire puncture

Hi-

I’m sure this has been covered but I didn’t find it.
I had a flat, the tube I fixed but the hole in the tire is getting larger the more I ride. It’s in the center of the tire. Originally it was 1cm, very tiny. Now it’s 3cm and growing.
What do you do to fix this? (Without purchasing a new tire, they are fairly new)
its a 700x28 Donnelly.
I saw a video where they used super glue. Also had the idea of using a patch square on the interior of tire.
Anyone with actual experience that can chime in?
Old 09-17-20, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Best way to fix a hole that is getting bigger in the tire is to get a new tire as fixing a hole in a tire is a very temporary thing to get you home. Yeah it sucks sometimes but better a new tire than more and more punctures and a failing tire. Plenty of people make odd suggestions of sewing and gluing and stuff like that but I wouldn't want to do that to save money unless I was desperate and couldn't get access to any tires at all.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-17-20, 09:36 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
get a new set and buy a quality tire, Continental, Vittoria, Pirelli
Old 09-18-20, 03:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Are you sure it is 3 cm instead of 3mm? I can't imagine a 3 cm hole where tube wouldn't bulge out in a big way (and blow out real soon as it contacts the ground). If it really is a 3 cm hole, the tire is definitely beyond repair.
A 3 mm hole could be repaired by patching from the inside, but it's still a temporary solution. If you use a tube patch, it will eventually still bulge out of the hole as it continues to grow, and wear through. If you use something like a piece of an old tire which is more wear and stretch resistant, it will present a noticeable bulge, and may also have pronounced edges that could eventually puncture the tube.

So yes, you're better off with a new tire.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 09-18-20, 06:30 AM
Bikerdrummer

Got it. Thanks. Ordered the continental 4 seasons tires. I read they had a better ride then the gator skins but still offered good city riding protection. (Which is probably a debate for another thread)
Old 09-18-20, 06:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
In the future for small cuts you can get patch kits and patch the tire from the inside, making sure to also put glue in the cut itself.
Old 09-18-20, 06:45 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerdrummer
I read they had a better ride then the gator skins but still offered good city riding protection. (Which is probably a debate for another thread)
Ah yes, that would be this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...atorskins.html
Old 09-18-20, 07:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
In the future for small cuts you can get patch kits and patch the tire from the inside, making sure to also put glue in the cut itself.
An ordinary patch has worked for me with a ~1 mm cut. For something closer to 3 mm, a Tyvek patch (cut from a old FedEx envelope in my case) and glued in with patch kit glue let me ride that tire until it needed replacement because threads were visible through the tread.

On the other sub-topic, I've had better luck with flats using Gatorskins than the 4 seasons I tried. Every tire can be flatted, but Gatorskins have been an acceptable compromise for me between puncture and rolling resistance. Sure, you can get a Marathon or Armadillo heavy duty with twice the weight and perhaps 3X the tread depth, but you pay for that extra puncture resistance. (Great way to lose weight, if you can maintain the mileage, as you have that extra resistance to pedal through!)
Old 09-18-20, 07:17 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
3 cm? That's wider than a lot of tires. You may have meant 3 mm. Nevertheless, it was a good decision to opt for a new tire.
Old 09-18-20, 08:08 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerdrummer
Got it. Thanks. Ordered the continental 4 seasons tires. I read they had a better ride then the gator skins but still offered good city riding protection. (Which is probably a debate for another thread)
I've been riding a pair of 32c Four Season tires since early summer. It's a comfortable tire (90psi) and has very good handling. As much as I wanted a GP5000, I chose a more puncture-proof tire over one with low rolling resistance (I do have to ride some gravel (tar & chip) roads).
Old 09-18-20, 09:30 AM
Bikerdrummer

Here’s the puncture

Old 09-18-20, 09:33 AM
Bikerdrummer

The tire has about 550 miles on them. But I have a 50 mile ride Saturday so I’m going to change just in case.

The inner tube patch worked great so I’m not changing the tube. Just the tire.
Old 09-18-20, 09:45 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
What I do in that situation is put a small car tire patch on the inside of the tire. I also carry some with my on my bike to use as boots. They're pretty tough, so I'm not worried about them blowing out too much, but if I had a tire with a cut that looks like the one in your picture I'd be quickly buying a new set of tires before I went on any long distance rides. Just riding around town, I wouldn't worry too much but getting 20-30 miles from home out in the boonies I don't think I'd trust it.
Old 09-18-20, 10:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For a cut like that I would just use a standard Rema patch on the inside of the tire and maybe fill the outside cut with some Shoe Goo.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-19-20, 11:39 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My son rode back home using a $5 bill as a tire boot. I taught him this trick about 20 years ago with a $1 bill. He said it was inflation
Likes For Doug64:
Old 09-19-20, 02:10 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
My son rode back home using a $5 bill as a tire boot. I taught him this trick about 20 years ago with a $1 bill. He said it was inflation
I always tell people that it's better to use a $20. That way you are more likely to open up the tire and fix it properly after you get home.
Old 09-20-20, 07:43 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Too bad. But that tire looks to have more than 550 miles on it.

Sometimes I get 4000 miles on a tire, especially the front, but other times less than a thousand. Can't predict what you are going to run over, but higher quality tires do seem to last much longer. I have tried almost everything, but come back to Contientals. Start looking now and you can often find sales and save them for future use. I just mounted a set of Conti 5000 that I bought in February for about half price.
Old 09-20-20, 08:37 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
My experience with damaged tires is the belts continue to come apart, thus I replace them as soon as I can. I keep spare tires at home so I don't have to make a purchase immediately. On the road I keep Tyvek floppy disk sleeves for boots.