Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Son got a MIPS, now I want a MIPS or a Wave helmet

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Son got a MIPS, now I want a MIPS or a Wave helmet

Old 07-09-20, 06:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
The first 'site' is just a press release from MIPS corporate. SkidLid Corporate told everybody their helmets were the best, too.

The next two are from one or two years ago and really the same info, which led me to the actual

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

Virginia Tech helmet test web page and there I see in what seems to be the latest results that a WaveCell helmet bested some 39 MIPS helmets in their tests. Fifteen of those 39 MIPS helmets only reach the 4 Star level in the Virginia Tech tests, another just rates 3 Stars. I'm not seeing 'technology A beats technology B'; I'm seeing 'the devil's in the details'.

Virginia Tech does independent (AFAIK) helmet testing. So does Consumer Reports.

https://helmets.org/cu_2020.htm

They have different test regimes that they feel most accurately model real-world events. They have different lists of the 'best' helmets.
Old 07-30-20, 11:37 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bontrager's claims (48x safer) seem pretty outlandish, but the Virginia Tech tests show they are good helmets. In the same league as the MIPS helmets. Bontrager has a new model, the Starvos for $100 that is very highly rated. I'm thinking of getting it, but it is on the heavy side: 335 grams for a medium. What do people think of the weight of the wavecel helmets?