Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to drink while cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to drink while cycling

Old 06-17-20, 08:51 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I like the Minoura handlebar bottle mount because it's a center mount design. It straddles the stem.

I like using a Profile bottle cage and a PowerAde bottle. I can push a long stiff straw or a length of tubing through the valve of the PowerAde bottle and drink from that whilst riding.

Profile cage and PowerAde bottle minus the straw.

It's a good idea to go someplace like an empty school parking lot on an evening or weekend or maybe during the day during this Covid-19 lockdown, and practice riding with just one hand. It's great skill to have an is need for using hand signals. As another poster mentioned, moving the hand on the handlebar towards the stem greatly reduces the tendency to swerve when riding with one hand.

I'd practice reaching for the bottle, then when comfortable with that, pulling it out of the cage and then reinserting it. Once comfortable with that I'd practice drinking from the bottle.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-17-20, 09:20 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Leave the valve open during ride?

I can remove the water bottle and drink while riding with one hand on the top bar of drop handlebars, but what I can't do is open the valve with one hand. So I generally stop to drink. Do you all leave the valve open during your rides? I don't do that because I always thought water could splash out, dust and grime could get in, and I'd get a bit of grit in with my water. Maybe I should try leaving valve open if it's not problematic...
Old 06-17-20, 09:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I recommend a nice smooth whiskey.

Wut?
Old 06-17-20, 09:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You're probably grabbing your water bottle upside down. If you are riding in the drops try grabbing your water bottle so that your thumb is near the bottom of the bottle. That will invert the bottle so that you can squirt it into your mouth rather than having to lean back.
Old 06-17-20, 10:21 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
You guys are way over complicating things

Part of the joy of riding with a group is the teamwork
Just ask another rider in the group to ride alongside you and squirt their water into your mouth so you can keep both hands on the bars!
Safety first!
Old 06-17-20, 10:23 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
+1 on Camelbaks for novice cyclists. It will also encourage you to sip more and stay hydrated better going into summer. Do not worry about what others think. When it gets hot, I use bottles and a Camelbak.
Old 06-17-20, 11:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I can remove the water bottle and drink while riding with one hand on the top bar of drop handlebars, but what I can't do is open the valve with one hand. So I generally stop to drink. Do you all leave the valve open during your rides? I don't do that because I always thought water could splash out, dust and grime could get in, and I'd get a bit of grit in with my water. Maybe I should try leaving valve open if it's not problematic...
All the waterbottles I've used have a ring with a lip as the "valve". Grab the lip with your teeth and pull. Pretty simple. I close the bottle after so as not to have rust and corrosion causing electrolyte spilling over the bike.

(I said "all the bottles". Over the years I seen a few with caps on short plastic harnesses that you could pull off with your teeth but took a hand to replace. I just don't purchase those bottles,)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-17-20, 12:05 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
I am a total noob regarding controlling a bike. The water bottle is in the cage on the downtube. I just can't figure out how to control the bike with one hand, and use the free hand to pick up the bottle. Is there any training I can do? I have my saddle set way forward and ride in the drops (more like a TT bike).

This puts more weight on the hands & will make it harder to drink from a bottle.

Doesn't sound like a great position for a beginning cyclist.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-17-20, 12:06 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Just to add to your troubles, consider drinking with the front brake hand. If something happens, say an aardvark suddenly dashes out in front of you, your frantic grab on the brakes won't result in a face plant.
Others have suggested practicing with a liquid more precious than water. I have seen pictures of Tour de France riders drinking champagne and still wines.
Good luck
Old 06-17-20, 12:15 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Given your skills, Stop take a drink from your water bottle, then start moving again,...why hurry? be safe...
I had a concussion and cannot balance so I have to stop to take a drink. Just try not to do it in the middle of a 16% grade.
Old 06-17-20, 12:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I loop around and go back downhill on hills I stop on, then turn around again and go on up the hill .. Bike tours not group training rides.
Old 06-17-20, 12:22 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
When you get the drinking out of a bottle in a group thing mastered you can start learning how to pee off the bike while a team mate pushes you
Old 06-17-20, 12:57 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
If sitting in a forward TT position do not even consider riding in a group.

If unable to perform basic tasks such as taking a drink do not even consider riding in a group.

TT is a solo activity. Group riding is group riding.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 06-17-20, 01:04 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
If sitting in a forward TT position do not even consider riding in a group.

If unable to perform basic tasks such as taking a drink do not even consider riding in a group.

TT is a solo activity. Group riding is group riding.
He's riding in the drops not on aero bars...... I think he should be OK
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-17-20, 01:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-17-20, 01:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Another issue: get a water bottle cage that suits you. Fighting the cage tension to yank out a bottle and shove it back in can throw off your balance.

Some are way too tight, but most aluminum cages can safely be bent a bit to loosen an excessively tight grip. Can't really do that with plastic or carbon fiber, although the grippers can be filed down a bit.
This is good advice. There are cages that let you pull the bottle out easier from the side. I recently installed Cat Eye cages that really grip and a Zefal frame pump under the top tube. If you weren’t thirsty before getting the bottle out, you are by the time you get the water.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-17-20, 03:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
You guys are way over complicating things

Part of the joy of riding with a group is the teamwork
Just ask another rider in the group to ride alongside you and squirt their water into your mouth so you can keep both hands on the bars!
Safety first!
When I try to get my riding partners to do this for me, they always miss my mouth, and hit me between the eyes!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-17-20, 03:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I prefer to stop and then take a drink....or use a Camelback hydration pack....I also carry a theromoss with hot tea on every ride, even on hot summer days so it's impossible to drink without stopping., even if I am drinking plain water I still prefer to stop.
Old 06-17-20, 04:06 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
You'll figure it out.
But on a different subject, near the end of a long 80+ mile ride, I love to pull up to a gas station or liquor store, grab a can of good cold suds tucked into a brown paper bag, go around the side of the building, and suck down a cold one. Gives me energy, hydrates me, and my legs feel so much better.
Anyone else do this?
In colder weather I've been known to throw a can of ipa into my back jersey pocket. best. lunch. ever.
Likes For superdex:
Old 06-17-20, 04:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
If it’s a pop up valve, use your teeth to pull it up. If it’s a rotating valve, like on a CamelBak Podium bottle, leave the valve open.
Old 06-17-20, 04:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
All the waterbottles I've used have a ring with a lip as the "valve". Grab the lip with your teeth and pull. Pretty simple. I close the bottle after so as not to have rust and corrosion causing electrolyte spilling over the bike.

Ben
+1. As noted above, Podium bottles are one exception. But there is really no need to “lock” them while riding. I only lock them when they are on their sides, like when in the tent with me. Don’t want to roll over on one while sleeping.
Old 06-17-20, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Seriously, when I was Cat 5, my team did a clinic where we rode around in a parking lot practicing how to take a bottle out of the cage, drink, and put it back without looking or wobbling. Then we progressed to taking food out of a jersey pocket, then how to take off and put on a windvest and armwarmers. All good skills to learn and practice.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-17-20, 04:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I had a concussion and cannot balance so I have to stop to take a drink. Just try not to do it in the middle of a 16% grade.
Yup, I understand the challenge. Haven't had that problem personally but I've seen it in family and patients who've had concussions. That's why I urge friends who've fallen from their bikes and hit their heads to be wary of long term effects.

And another good reason to try a Camelbak or bottle with sipping straw. There are several options for mounting water bottles where a drinking straw can reach.
Old 06-17-20, 05:57 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I always leave my valves open, and never have any issue with anything getting in. The water bottles I use have fairly enclosed orifices and it would have to be quite the dust storm for anything to get in.

I have no trouble retrieving a water bottle and getting a drink while riding, but I still nearly always find myself coasting while actually drinking. Sometimes I make myself keep pedaling, but it doesn't come naturally. For whatever reason, pausing the pedaling while drinking is my instinct, though that wouldn't go over too well in a group ride if we were pacelining.

To the OP: it will help a lot if you can get used to grabbing your bottle and putting it back without looking at it. I just reach down and by muscle memory I can grab it. Sometimes I'll take a quick glance down to orient myself before putting it back after drinking, but still put it back while not watching it, since I prefer to keep my eyes on the road. One little problem with my approach is I find it much easier to retrieve and use my front water bottle than my rear bottle (the one mounted to the seat tube), so usually when the first bottle is empty I'll go through this awkward exchange where I swap the two bottles so I'm always drinking from the one mounted to the downtube. I'd second what the others have said and just practice on your own retrieving and putting your bottle back while riding, pausing pedaling while doing so if you need to. Once you've got that down if your valves are left open you can just squirt some water in your mouth. I usually have an inch or so of water left in my bottles when they're "empty" according to my usual practice, because I prefer to squirt water into my mouth rather than suck water through the valve, because I don't have to tilt my head to sky to do it. If I still need water and both bottles are down to that last inch I'll tilt my head and drain it.
Old 06-17-20, 06:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
There's always a video for that:

Likes For Sy Reene:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.