Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

YTD on track

Old 09-02-20, 06:32 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
YTD on track

I got in an easy paced 32 miles this morning. That puts me at 5112 miles for 2020. I set what I call a "soft goal" of 7000 miles for this year. My peak mileage year was 2017 with 6000 miles. I do not usually keep track of mileage on a yearly basis, but I believe I have a good general idea of what that mileage is. I know before 2015, I had never done more than maybe a bit over 4,000. This is now my 6th consecutive year with over that number. I am thinking I will reach 7300 this year to give me an average of 20 miles for everyday of the year. I usually ride 5 or 6 days a week.

Like a lot of us, I have had much free time. I drive a school bus and the schools have been closed since mid March. Between working on and riding bikes, I have spent many hours in my two wheeled world. Indian River School District, Sussex County, DE, is scheduled to resume some kind of hybrid program for students on Sept. 17th. We should be getting a close to a finalized plan for the beginning of the school year by the end of this week. Typically, my mileage goes down a bit once I am back to driving. I just need to keep getting about 25 miles a day, 5 days a week to get to my goal. Hopefully, there will not be a big spike in the Covid crisis once all the students are back in class. It is going to be challenging for everybody that is involved, in anyway, with the schools.

This coming Sunday, the 6th, begins the 69th year of my life. I do not have a set number of miles for the day, but I do want to spend most of the day on a sort of local bike tour. That will include road, riding through the local parks/refuges, visiting friends, food stops and relaxation stops. For me, a damn good way to spend the day.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-02-20, 06:47 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Good for you and welcome to the 7000+ mile club!
Old 09-02-20, 07:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
delbiker1 : 7000 miles in your 69th year? Shoot, man, you're a hero. I aspire to that kind of thing. I hope that in twelve more years, I am putting in that kind of mileage.

Like you, I had much time off work this spring, and I really don't work at all in summer. (College prof, now semi-retired and hence PT; I teach what I want, when I want, and do a couple other things.) So, I rode 200+ miles per week, most weeks, from early April through just last week, when I started teaching a new course. Hit the 6,000 mile mark a couple days ago, and this year will probably surpass my peak mileage year, which was 7550 miles (last year).

Keep on truckin', man!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-07-20, 08:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
7,000 is a boatload, or would that be a bike-load of miles? I hit a bit more than 5,000 in 2019 (I was 69), in my first year as a retired RN. Personal record. In this Year of the Covid, I'm riding very frequently but mostly 15-20 mile rides, many of those with my spouse. Guessing I'll only be getting into the 3,000+ mile range, mostly due to a lack of 40-60 mile club rides. Not complaining, as we are glad to be able to ride as often as we do.
Old 09-08-20, 01:52 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Well I've had to work straight through the pandemic, and for one reason or another I hadn't gotten on my bike much this year. In fact, I set a goal for just 500 miles, which I'm only about 55 miles from reaching now. Of course it helps now that I got a new to me bike and I want to ride the newness off it. All I want to do now is get on a bike and ride, and I'm sure I'll end up with far more than 500 miles. But this year has sucked in more ways than one.
Old 09-08-20, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
5423 and counting.

Goal was 6000 for 2020, down from last year's 7000. I work full time, so I need to do a lot of riding on weekends (150-175 miles) to get these numbers, and I don't ride in the winter. I shouldn't have much trouble beating the goal, but I'm definitely not shooting for 7k. Weather gets too dicey in late October/November to want to do a bunch of centuries.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-09-20 at 04:37 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-20, 02:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
good for you.

Been riding as much as time allows & since covid hit, I'm just under 6K miles. might see another 1k miles before the weather shuts me down for indoor riding.
Old 09-09-20, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Troul
good for you.

Been riding as much as time allows & since covid hit, I'm just under 6K miles. might see another 1k miles before the weather shuts me down for indoor riding.
COVID affects my miles in a weird way. I typically do a lot of 125-150 mile rides in the summer, but this year I've had to cap it at 100 miles because that's about as far as I want to ride without breaking it up with a nice long indoor lunch break.
Old 09-09-20, 04:46 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Originally Posted by livedarklions
COVID affects my miles in a weird way. I typically do a lot of 125-150 mile rides in the summer, but this year I've had to cap it at 100 miles because that's about as far as I want to ride without breaking it up with a nice long indoor lunch break.
Covid also affected my plans for riding. I was hoping to get in some touring. Even 2-4 day more local touring was put on hold once the spike in cases became apparent.
Old 09-09-20, 06:12 AM
Troul 

You seem to have places along your rides you often like to stop in at normally if I'm tracking ya right? My ideal lunch break during a long ride is what ever I jam in the pockets or if I feel like carrying the rear stowage, I'll toss stuff in there. Less is more for me, but we do need to have something to bring up the energy levels when doing 100+ milers. Packing the water & sometimes coffee is a habitual burden in itself. Good thing about lugging the liquids though; you're likely to consume your liquids, therefore, the carrying load naturally lessens the burden. Many times I find I do not consume all the food I might bring for many reasons. Positive side, I can repack it the next time if I don't offer it up to someone that may have bonked on the trails.
Old 09-09-20, 06:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You seem to have places along your rides you often like to stop in at normally if I'm tracking ya right? My ideal lunch break during a long ride is what ever I jam in the pockets or if I feel like carrying the rear stowage, I'll toss stuff in there. Less is more for me, but we do need to have something to bring up the energy levels when doing 100+ milers. Packing the water & sometimes coffee is a habitual burden in itself. Good thing about lugging the liquids though; you're likely to consume your liquids, therefore, the carrying load naturally lessens the burden. Many times I find I do not consume all the food I might bring for many reasons. Positive side, I can repack it the next time if I don't offer it up to someone that may have bonked on the trails.
I would pick a good restaurant to have lunch approximately 75 miles from home and use it as incentive to complete the 150 mile round trip. I'd eat a lot on those rides, I'm mostly out of the eat on rides habit now, although I did stop for a sandwich in Portsmouth NH just over 50 miles into a century once this year and for a barbecue truck I'm fond of 65 miles into an 80 mile ride (Milford NH). I'd been wanting to go there all summer, but it was closed whenever I had gone by. Totally a target of opportunity.
Old 09-09-20, 07:28 AM
Troul 

I would pick a good restaurant to have lunch approximately 75 miles from home and use it as incentive to complete the 150 mile round trip. I'd eat a lot on those rides, I'm mostly out of the eat on rides habit now, although I did stop for a sandwich in Portsmouth NH just over 50 miles into a century once this year and for a barbecue truck I'm fond of 65 miles into an 80 mile ride (Milford NH). I'd been wanting to go there all summer, but it was closed whenever I had gone by. Totally a target of opportunity.
I can understand that incentive. There a place I like to at least once a year that I like to ride out to for a treat of eats, but being that it means riding thru a rough area coupled with the "times" of unrest, it isn't ideal to go solo & for just anyone to ride along isn't conducive just in case something were to come up. Did it solo twice, & once I experienced a flat. During the quickest flat repair I could manage, I had some unwanted peoples come up to me. Having a second person of my mindset makes that type of thing not a big deal, but solo, it can elevate the moment.
The other time I had no road side fixes to execute, but did draw unwanted attention that bumped the cardio up a few notches to get outta dodge. Knowing the ways (routes) is very beneficial, but it still was more "exciting" than I would want to do again solo or with the unprepared rider. I still am contemplating doing it solo again, just because 90% of the ride is absolutely nice.
Old 09-09-20, 08:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I can understand that incentive. There a place I like to at least once a year that I like to ride out to for a treat of eats, but being that it means riding thru a rough area coupled with the "times" of unrest, it isn't ideal to go solo & for just anyone to ride along isn't conducive just in case something were to come up. Did it solo twice, & once I experienced a flat. During the quickest flat repair I could manage, I had some unwanted peoples come up to me. Having a second person of my mindset makes that type of thing not a big deal, but solo, it can elevate the moment.
The other time I had no road side fixes to execute, but did draw unwanted attention that bumped the cardio up a few notches to get outta dodge. Knowing the ways (routes) is very beneficial, but it still was more "exciting" than I would want to do again solo or with the unprepared rider. I still am contemplating doing it solo again, just because 90% of the ride is absolutely nice.

There are cities I will route around even if it's a long way out of the way or involves a huge climb precisely because I fear the flat tire scenario. I've noted that "rough" areas also tend to have "rough" roads with tons of potholes and debris. I feel pretty safe while I'm moving, but I don't want to get stuck there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-09-20, 08:17 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Good for you delbiker1!

I didn't keep track of all of my miles last year, the first year I rode my bike on a regular basis for the last 25 years, but I estimate 2019 at about 800 miles, with the bulk in the second half of the year. By the end of the year I was going at it and had plans to do more in 2020. I'm 62.

My full time employment wasn't at all affected by the virus so I'm busy. Initially I set a goal of 3000 miles, then upped it to 4000 miles and now my goal is 5000 miles. As of today I have 4135 miles on the books. Baring anything unplanned, I should see the 5000 mile mark first week of November. I think 6000 will be difficult but 5500 is certainly a possibility.

Last edited by Thomas15; 09-09-20 at 08:27 AM.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 09-09-20, 08:19 AM
Troul 

There are cities I will route around even if it's a long way out of the way or involves a huge climb precisely because I fear the flat tire scenario. I've noted that "rough" areas also tend to have "rough" roads with tons of potholes and debris. I feel pretty safe while I'm moving, but I don't want to get stuck there.
The terrain (rough roads) is rough & maintaining a good MPH can be challenging.
Unfortunately, not feasible for my ride, but I do the same for other routes all the time.
Old 09-09-20, 10:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
congrats man, well done. My question is what's the limit? At what point do you say, I'm going to stop at this number? or does this point exist?
Old 09-09-20, 11:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
congrats man, well done. My question is what's the limit? At what point do you say, I'm going to stop at this number? or does this point exist?
I really do not fixate on the mileage numbers. I love riding bikes and have the time to do so. I do take days off, usually one at a time, but sometimes more. Rarely do I go 3 or more days without a ride of some kind. The biggest difference for me in the past 7-8 years is that I ride pretty much year round now. The winters are relatively mild here in south coastal Delaware, though we do get hit hard sometimes.