Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Handlebar setups on your hybrid.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 06:42 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

Just wondering if you had any pictures of your handlebar setups. I am contemplating a change from the stock flat bar on my FX to either a Trekking bar or something different. I would like to get other rider's opinions on bar setups, what their favorite is and why. Thanks.

Right now I have the stock setup on my 7.5 FX, but am building my Jamis Aurora (touring bike) with a mustache bar using downtube shifters and older non-aero brake levers. I am looking forward to the differences to the drop bars it used to have. The FX that I have is a good bike, I love riding it, but the stock grips don't do it for me and I am looking for different hand positions when I ride longer rides. I would love to get some ideas from other hybrid users. Thanks.
Old 07-15-10, 06:58 PM
Tarkin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a set of trekking bars, I'll post some pictures when they arrive and I get them installed.
Old 07-15-10, 07:28 PM
Buzzbait

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just do the stock flat bar on my Sirrus Sport, but I changed out the non-locking ergo grips and small bar ends for standard mountain bike style grips and full-sized bar ends. I also flipped the stem to drop things down a bit. I totally dig the long bar ends for long rides. You can just lean on the bar ends, find a nice comfortable gear, and crank away.

Old 07-15-10, 09:29 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've got bar ends on my stock Crosstrail bars (which have a slight rise, and pullback) ---- but, I've also added a st of mini drops from Origin 8, which I also like for occasional brief position changes ---- I can't take the drops very long, due to physical problems, but I still like them.

No picture yet - and I'm getting ready to go fishin for 10 days, so you'll have to wait...... LOL

almost forgot - I've got Ergon GP-1 Grips on there, too.(
Old 07-15-10, 10:04 PM
TomChgo

Bikes: 2011 Specialiazed Roubaix, 2010 Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have stock bar on Trek FX 7.3, but made some changes based on feedback from Wanderer. To allow for mirror and bar ends, put on Ergon GP-1 grips. Recently, put wrap on bar ends. The new grips and bar ends have increased ride comfort. So far, feels great.

Old 07-15-10, 11:37 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I first installed a set of Ergon GC2s; great grips, but they left me wanting more. I considered trying some GC3s but after reading many posts here, I bought some trekking bars. I had a heckuva time finding them, but that's another story. I love the multitude of hand positions that they offer me:

The ergonomic grips pictured are cheap knockoffs that I plan to eventually replace with GP1s. The cork tape is very comfortable and required no padding underneath. It's my first taping job and so far it is holding up great! Changes since the pic include flattening the bars a bit and rotating my controls so they are more vertical; this allowed me to move my light to the spot where the bell is and move the bell up further on the bend. IMHO they are the next best thing to drop bars - you can even get a more aero position by placing your hands on the forward part of the bars and resting your forearms where the grips are.

BTW the design of the bars brought the controls inboard and shortened my cockpit, necessitating the installation of a longer stem. Also, I lost the mounting position for my bar-end mirror, so I bought a helmet-mounted one. There is a bit of a learning curve but I'm starting to get used to it.

Last edited by irclean; 07-15-10 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 12:04 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My hybrid has been a test platform for all kinds of things and has gone from the stock risers and adjustable stem to Scott Liteflite bars to drops and now to trekking bars... gives me a nice position on the road and a great position on the trail.

Old 07-16-10, 01:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got a set of ITM Trekking bars . they feature 2 D shaped 'wings' and an H shaped Yoke , that the 2 side bar pieces are clamped into, and the stem clamps onto the cross-piece of the H.

there is a bit of creaking at the clamps, that says to me 'You really should buy a bit of Loc-tite', to quiet me'.

It's somewhat a Mustache like Bend that continues around and back toward the center, to accept the Gripshifter and brake levers..

since there is no straight Bit to the rest of the bars, there is a T shaped piece added to the top.. to hang bar bags off of, or accessory bits..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-16-10 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 02:35 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My setup:

Flatbar, bended barends & aerobar ... the most versatile setup possible
Old 07-16-10, 08:30 AM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going AdelaaR's route on my 2009 Jamis Coda Comp. I am waiting for Profile Design Jammer GT aerobars and Boxer bar ends to arrive. The bike has a 580mm flat handlebar so I also purchased a Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 680mm flat bar in case all the stuff doesn't fit across a 580mm bar. Pictures forthcoming when I get it all set up.
Old 07-16-10, 08:41 AM
superNoid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about adding some Ergon GC3's to my 7.1 FX, but I'm wondering if they might be a little bigger than what I need. Does anyone have any good pic of a Ergon GR2's mounted?

Thanks
Old 07-16-10, 09:26 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My handlebar is 600mm (i think) so you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting stuff on... 680mm damn that's a wide handlebar!
Old 07-16-10, 02:58 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Thanks for all the replys.

I am starting to lean towards trekking bars like irclean and Sixty Fiver have mounted, if I go this route I will probably not instal the ergo grips...I'm not all that impressed with the stock ones that came on the 7.5 fx. I must say though, the setup that Adelaar has looks promising as well.
Old 07-16-10, 03:43 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
I first installed a set of Ergon GC2s; great grips, but they left me wanting more. I considered trying some GC3s but after reading many posts here, I bought some trekking bars. I had a heckuva time finding them, but that's another story. I love the multitude of hand positions that they offer me:

The ergonomic grips pictured are cheap knockoffs that I plan to eventually replace with GP1s. The cork tape is very comfortable and required no padding underneath. It's my first taping job and so far it is holding up great! Changes since the pic include flattening the bars a bit and rotating my controls so they are more vertical; this allowed me to move my light to the spot where the bell is and move the bell up further on the bend. IMHO they are the next best thing to drop bars - you can even get a more aero position by placing your hands on the forward part of the bars and resting your forearms where the grips are.

BTW the design of the bars brought the controls inboard and shortened my cockpit, necessitating the installation of a longer stem. Also, I lost the mounting position for my bar-end mirror, so I bought a helmet-mounted one. There is a bit of a learning curve but I'm starting to get used to it.
Cheap ergos or not, you have a nice set up.
Old 07-16-10, 07:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by RJM
Thanks for all the replys.

I am starting to lean towards trekking bars like irclean and Sixty Fiver have mounted, if I go this route I will probably not instal the ergo grips...I'm not all that impressed with the stock ones that came on the 7.5 fx. I must say though, the setup that Adelaar has looks promising as well.
All my trekking bars are wrapped in cork with no grips... this works for me but other folks really like their ergons.
Old 07-16-10, 09:33 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old 07-16-10, 10:04 PM
AaronJohnTurner

Bikes: 2010 Trek Vlaencia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just slapped a pair of GP1's to my Trek Valencia, coupled with your run-of-the-mill barend. They're a lot better than my stock grips, which did have a similar ergonomic design, but were smaller and floated while riding. The clamp puts an end to that.
Old 07-16-10, 10:07 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Danw
Cheap ergos or not, you have a nice set up.
Thanks, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one whose garage is filled with bikes instead of a car. I like your set-up, too; further proof that trekking bars are versatile enough to work with trigger, grip, and/or thumb shifters. I wonder if barcons would fit in the ends - that would make a great set-up! Food for thought...
Old 07-16-10, 11:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

"...nice to see I'm not the only one whose garage is filled with bikes instead of a car."

I barely have enough room for bikes...

Old 07-16-10, 11:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Q - You almost have trekking bars there...
Old 07-16-10, 11:09 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I need to move to Edmonton, buy a case of beer, and drop in on Sixty Fiver. What is that green frame hanging behind the Bianchi - the one with the built-in rack?
Old 07-16-10, 11:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by irclean
I think I need to move to Edmonton, buy a case of beer, and drop in on Sixty Fiver. What is that green frame hanging behind the Bianchi - the one with the built-in rack?
Make it a two four...

That frame is a custom made Arvon touring / randoneurring frame... it is a 66 cm frame.

Am working with the builder and expect that some of the bikes rolling out of the shop will be fitted with trekking bars and I have a set at hand to use on my new tandem.
Old 07-16-10, 11:33 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Q - You almost have trekking bars there...
The same old longhorns I had on the Cannondale trailer hauler.

It made more sense to put these on the fast bike, but now they are too low and too far away for me to really use them properly. I can reach the ends but I'm not quite flexible enough to comfortably rest my forearms on the grips. The Cannondale has a taller stem and a shorter top tube, so it was easy to assume the aero position, but hauling my trailer through traffic, elbows on the grips wasn't often the position of choice. I might get a different stem or some yoga.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 07-16-10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 01:26 AM
AaronJohnTurner

Bikes: 2010 Trek Vlaencia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
"...nice to see I'm not the only one whose garage is filled with bikes instead of a car."

I barely have enough room for bikes...

Old 07-17-10, 01:50 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by AaronJohnTurner
It is even more crowded now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.