Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hats under helmet- long brim

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hats under helmet- long brim

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 10:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I have concerns about what happens when a rigid cap bill that is held firmly in place by a helmet is driven back into the scalp in the case of a crash. Anyone think that might be a valid concern?
No, not really. You're talking about driving the cap brim into the densest part of the skull. Worst thing that's likely is a scrape (and maybe knocking your glasses off).
Old 11-25-19, 10:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
if you ever ride in the rain & don't mind looking a little silly (but smart) I have a serious helmet cover with a very nice front brim for ya!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-25-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-25-19, 04:29 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

Lo and behold, I stumbled upon a solution with something I already owned. My Camo hunting brimmed beanie from First Lite. It's merino wool with a wider and med-short length brim. Perfect from my late afternoon ride tonight when the sun is lower in late November!

Hunting is another outdoor activity of mine, mostly bow hunting for whitetails but I do Waterfowl also. I actually have a bit of crossover in my clothes already using some of my Merino wool hunting baselayers when winter biking. I actually have a pair of hunting guide pants which are stretchy and fit me perfect for bicycling too. They have better pockets and general overall utility than biking pants.

Also my winter bicycling Jacket is my Cabela's Gore orange Jacket in the first pick.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 11-25-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 05:16 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
I would be too self conscious wearing ball cap under a helmet. I'd feel like a fred. At that point, I might as well get a helmet mounted mirror, a reflective vest and a pool noodle and just give up.
Old 11-25-19, 07:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Resistance is futile, you will assimilate

i like that that it covers the ears!
Old 11-26-19, 10:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I got a few typical cycling skull caps with the small brim, but sometimes I’d like a larger/longer brim like a baseball cap. Baseball caps are notorious for that little button on top, so they don’t work well under your helmet...

Who makes a good long brim, baseball like hat to fit under m bike helmet?

BTW, Ihave a Da Brim hat I use for some summer rides but that’s not what I’m looking for,
Something I've noticed with a lot of people who wear ball caps or other things UNDER their helmet is that the helmet sits very high on the head. I wonder how much protection is lost there.

Is there a way you could just make a longer visor for your helmet? I have some amber colour transparent sheet that'd make a great visor. I used a bit to make an amber lens cover for my headlight for use in fog. The advantage of a clear tinted plastic over a long cap bill is that the you can still see through the plastic.

Cheers
Old 11-27-19, 05:11 AM
H.Franco

Bikes: Charlescen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The marking of the baseball cap under the helmet will not allow the head guard to sit exactly on top of the job. The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, a non-profit organization for bicycle helmet safety, warns that hats and visors violate helmet compliance and safety. The helmet is designed to fit tightly into the skull, with nothing between your head and the inside of the helmet. You can use Valucap Foam Trucker Cap style #VC700 is very helpful.
Old 11-28-19, 10:41 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I get on great with a beanie over a baseball cap, then a hood over that. Toasty, even at 40mph in frosty weather. Obviously I don't wear a helmet, nowhere to put one. I could take all the padding and frame out of a large one and strap that over my hood, I guess.