Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Acadia National Park fire roads

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 02:16 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

My wife and I are looking at spending a week in Acadia National Park in mid-May, with biking being a big part of what we plan to do. I have two bikes, and I'm trying to decide which one to take.

My road-oriented Fuji would be much better for the paved roads in Bar Harbor, and with 35mm CX tires it would also be great on the carriage roads with crushed stone surfaces. The question mark for me is the fire roads in Southwest Harbor. I can't find detailed information about them to know what the surface is like. When I hear "fire roads" I tend to think of ruts and lose gravel -- enough so that I would rather have my Kona mountain bike on them, both for the much wider tires and the suspension. But maybe the fire roads there aren't so bad.

So I'd love some input from anyone whose ridden the fire roads on the Quiet Side regarding the surface quality of those roads. Or if anyone has some other suggestions for places to ride on Mount Desert Island.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-17, 02:06 PM
AU Tiger

answered

It occurred to me to ask a local shop up there. So I emailed Southwest Cycle and got the following reply. I'm posting it here just in case someone else is curious about the answer:
I think your Fuji will be suitable for most of the riding here (fire roads included). SWH has approx 10 miles of dirt roads you can ride on right from the shop. However, most people opt for the carriage roads. These fire roads can be driven by cars so they have be maintained to a fairly passable degree. We rent fewer mtn bikes and more hybrids which most people find more than adequate.
Old 02-10-17, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
that's good. I would have suggested use a bike similar to your wife's. so that you'd both be on the same playing field. if you wear tearing up the soft sand or eating up the bumps & she was struggling - you'd probably change the route to suit the weakest link. so you might as well both be on the same kind of bike. sounds like a fun trip. be careful around Thunder Hole. when I was kid there was no railing around it. ppl still manage to get into trouble tho
Old 02-10-17, 10:44 PM
AU Tiger

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that's good. I would have suggested use a bike similar to your wife's. so that you'd both be on the same playing field.
That's good advice. I hadn't thought of it that way.

sounds like a fun trip.
Really looking forward to it. And now we're shopping for kayaks to do a little bit of that while there also. The place we rented in Ontario last summer had kayaks and we really enjoyed them, so we've been thinking about getting some since then. This trip seems like a good excuse to go ahead and get 'em.
Old 02-11-17, 06:10 AM
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AU Tiger
It occurred to me to ask a local shop up there. So I emailed Southwest Cycle ...
Such a good idea, and I'm always forgetting about this option! We took a trip to Big Bend (Texas) last spring break with no idea what to do and stopped on a whim at the LBS (Desert Sports) in Terlingua. They were so helpful in telling us where to go for rides. They had free maps of trails and great advice. Yet, I forget about this when planning trips.
Old 05-16-18, 06:00 AM
Cap Fred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fire Roads in Southwest/Bass Harbor and Swan's Island

Fire roads can vary in condition and the season. In my opinion if you use a bike that has, "clown tires", you are better prepared. Take Seal Cove Road in Southwest Harbor for instance. In the winter and early spring it is closed to car traffic. One can have felled trees or wash outs. But using that as a feeder road there are all sorts of rides off of this road. One can head into Acadia National Park and take several roads and combinations using Western Mountain Road to get to Seal Cove Pond, Echo Lake and Long Pond. Going south off of seal Cove road there is an interesting rough fire road to a beaver pond (one way in and back out). Now if yer a youngen or have an ebike >>> continue to Seal Cove and take a right on Rt. 102 for a short distance and take a left on Kellytown Rd., when that loops back to 102 , go across it and take the Clark Point Rd loop. From here consult a map for further roads in the area that you may want to take. Now continuing on Cap Fred's recommendations, go past Hansen's convience store and when you cross over the first bridge (small) take the Hiho Fire Rd on the right (it has a barrier over it). A mile and a half later you are in the federal campground at Seawall. Go in and around through there if you like and take a left on Rt. 102 A. You missed Bass Harbor Head Light but that is on you. This will take you back through Wonderland and the Causeway ending up in SWH. If you have to rent a bike check out Bicycle Bob's on the main drag in SWH. This ride should be the better part of 25 miles.
Now if you want a real adventure one has to ask (Cap Fred) about taking the Swan's Island Ferry, leaving Bass Harbor, 6 miles out for a real roller coaster of a ride; including a trip to Burnt Coat Harbor Lighthouse off of Hockamock Head ...