Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Only Front Panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Only Front Panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 03:09 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Welp, I stand corrected, for being a doubting Thomas. 😊 My hat's off to you, sir! 👍😎👍
Old 08-14-18, 06:51 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by zacharyhoyt
I think my problem was that I couldn't....
oh, sure, tow a kayak.....
i'd like to see you do that while playing a custom-made banjo!
Old 08-14-18, 07:56 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Old 08-14-18, 08:13 PM
zacharyhoyt

Bikes: 1998 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by saddlesores
oh, sure, tow a kayak.....
i'd like to see you do that while playing a custom-made banjo!
It's a good idea, but I think I would have to learn to ride (and tow with) a unicycle first, so as to have my hands free for the banjo. And I don't know if my mind could keep up with that many tasks at once. One or fewer things to keep track of at a time is more my ideal.
Zach
Old 08-14-18, 08:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Stability it is, then. I will run front panniers along with rear panniers. Never used only fronts, but will try it out sometime and see if it makes a difference to me. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-15-18, 07:24 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I started out with four, large panniers, but I eventually pared my gear down to two large panniers, which I carried on the front. I kept the rear rack in place, since it gets more use when riding around town, and because I would usually end up using the rack for random items. I kept most of the weight on the front because most of my, personal weight was on the rear wheel, and when going up hill, the front wheel wanted to lift a little when all the weight was on the back. Keeping weight on the front kept that front wheel planted.

Still, I likely would have gone with a more balanced, front/rear load if I had four smaller panniers instead of four larger ones. Still would have tried to shift the heavier item forward, though. Now I run more of a bikepacking set-up with no front rack, so I carry as much as possible in my handlebar roll and frame bag, and try to limit what I put on the rear rack, if I have the rear rack.
Old 08-15-18, 07:15 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Rob E, I see you don't run low riders up front. Is there a particular reason for this?
Old 08-16-18, 06:51 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Rob E, I see you don't run low riders up front. Is there a particular reason for this?
I wanted the front platform, and found a good deal on and Old Man Mountain rack.
Old 08-16-18, 08:00 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by reppans
Pretty interesting results there. About what I'd think they'd be.
Old 08-16-18, 08:24 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
holy geez Rob, thats a heck of a lot of downward sloping seat angle? You obviously ride like this, and have your mind set on this, but I can't help but think of how it must put your weight forward onto your hands and bars. Have you always had this unorthodox seat angle?
Old 08-16-18, 03:16 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by djb
holy geez Rob, thats a heck of a lot of downward sloping seat angle? You obviously ride like this, and have your mind set on this, but I can't help but think of how it must put your weight forward onto your hands and bars. Have you always had this unorthodox seat angle?
Ha, I noticed that too, because mine is like that too. 😉 For me, it gives more clearance, for a fairly common medical issue (hernia). My sit bones are right in front of the frame, of a Brooks B68, so still seated, lol, and yes, I put more pressure on my hands & arms that way. But overall, it's very comfortable, all things considered. Just part of getting old & senile. 😁
Old 08-16-18, 05:23 PM
djb

hey, ;whatever works.

as for the whole front pannier only thing. I used to not like a heavy front end, liking a faster steering bike, but have come to not mind it now. Part of it might be the bike I put front only on sometimes, its a faster steering bike, and also perhaps cuz I have a more sturdy front rack nowadays and so there is no movement like with my older front rack.
I still like a lighter front end, but do get how it makes life easier for the back wheel and spokes and whatnot.
Old 08-16-18, 05:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
I haven't commuted with front panniers yet, but I might do it next time. I'm commuting with front panniers, and I like them a lot more than I expected to, for the reasons @cyccommute gives. There is one disadvantage, which is that they can get blown in heavy sidewind gusts. But that's not a common occurrence. I had one hairy experience in NYC near the Hudson River where we get strong winds and gusts. It almost pushed me into traffic. But I ride the river path every day, and that has happened only a few times, so it's not a deal killer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-17-18, 08:59 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by djb
I don't think it's currently that steep. I also have a different seat. And a different bike. Still slants forward, but not as much as that old set-up.
Old 08-17-18, 11:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
As I wrote; I read about how over 20 lbs on the front of a bike is going to affect steering. (I do not even remember if the 20 lbs was total weight or 20 lbs per side) I admit that I have no personel experience with touring with more than eight pounds per side, just that there is some website that writes with authority about the tipping point as when there is too much weight on the front. The page that I was reading was comparing plain front racks to the low rider type that puts the load closest to the axle level. Wish I could find it. Not sure if it is true, but might be interesting for those thinking about loading up the front of their bike.
I'll never use a frame bag. I am short, my frame triangle barely fits water bottles. I could see it on the big guys bikes with the 60- 64 cm frame where they have tons of room for both bottles and a frame bag, but not me.
If the load is mounted high, there is more of a deleterious effect on steering then if the bags are mounted low. 20 lbs total is still low, however. I've off-road toured with high mount bags and the bike was harder to deal with than with low-riders but the low-riders would be disadvantageous for off-road.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-17-18, 12:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Rob_E
I don't think it's currently that steep. I also have a different seat. And a different bike. Still slants forward, but not as much as that old set-up.
As a rule, if the bike fits you properly, a fairly straight seat level works well, so if you havent experimented with slight changes to seat angle and observing comfort variations in various parts, I'd suggest it.
If you have tried diff setups and thats what works for you, then again, great, thats all that matters, finding what works.
Old 08-21-18, 11:48 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
What is the thinking behind running only front panniers and a standard saddle bag? Why not mount the panniers on the rear and out of the wind?

front panniers ONLY with a low trail fork is the way to go... bike handles great. no back panniers converting your bike into a whale .....

Last edited by str; 08-22-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 02:07 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG

Some bikes handle better with a front load than only a rear load. Your average sport tour/cross bike wasn’t intended to carry only a rear load but a load that is primarily the rider and between the wheels. Everything being equal, rim, spoke count the front wheel is less likely to bend or taco in a crash.

Once you put on panniers you’ve pretty much thrown out the window any aerodynamic difference between front or rear compared to no panniers. And increased weight provides a greater time penalty going up hills compared to increased speed on descents. Basically if aerodynamics is a concern you’re already a fast rider and riding in an aerodynamic posture with minimal gear.

While a front load slows down side to side movement of the front wheel a heavy rear load can exacerbate front wheel shimmy at high speeds. Given that high speed steering comes from leaning there’s less of a penalty in handling compared to high speed shimmy where oscillations start steering your bike instead of you steering your bike.

Putting a set of small panniers on a front low rider rack puts the weight under the control of your arms as opposed to over the rear wheel where it acts a long weighted lever sending side to side torquing onto your arms and front wheel.

use a low trail fork and all is fine!