Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking to upgrade wheelset

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 06:16 PM
AbsoluteMike

Bikes: Fuji absolute 1.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm sure this is covered already somewhere but I couldn't find it, but I've been thinking about up grading my wheels on my fuji absolute 1.9. I'm still so new in this sport that I don't know where to start looking (what brands and materials )
The spec sheet for my bike (2018) says my wheel set is Vera Corsa DPD17 double wall rims, 32h, alloy disc hubs, 14g spokes. I'm guessing Vera corsa is the brand ?
IDK much about bikes right now and what I've been told is my 500 dollar bike is entry level. Without going too crazy any suggestions for an upgraded wheel set?
Old 09-06-18, 06:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Yes, Vera Corsa would be the "brand" (Vera being a Fuji house brand name) and DPD17 is the model. It likely means the rims have a 17mm internal width. 32h means they have 32 holes, or 32 spokes (technically, they have 33 holes, including the valve hole!). 14g means 14 gauge spokes, which are 2mm in diameter.

What are you looking to get out of a different wheel set? Are you wanting to upgrade because of what you've been told? Is there something that you don't like about your current wheels?
Old 09-06-18, 06:36 PM
AbsoluteMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, Vera Corsa would be the "brand" (Vera being a Fuji house brand name) and DPD17 is the model. It likely means the rims have a 17mm internal width. 32h means they have 32 holes, or 32 spokes (technically, they have 33 holes, including the valve hole!). 14g means 14 gauge spokes, which are 2mm in diameter.

What are you looking to get out of a different wheel set? Are you wanting to upgrade because of what you've been told? Is there something that you don't like about your current wheels?
I want to ride further, faster and make the bike more my own. Ive added bar ends and Ive been playing around with an adjustable handlebar stem to really dial in come comfortable spot.

Last edited by AbsoluteMike; 09-06-18 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 04:30 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Tires can have a big impact on the feel of the bike without changing the wheels and are probably the single most effective way to alter a bike. It depends on how you ride, if mainly pavement a lighter, smoother, higher pressure and possibly thinner tire could be all you need to do to enhance your ride without the expense of a wheel set. Obviously off road that tire would be opposite of the direction to go. Just a set of good tires with tubes are going to cost close to $100 leaving the wheel set money in the kitty for the next bike.

Changing, upgrading parts is fun but expensive. Those same parts become less expensive when attached to a more expensive upgraded bike.
Old 09-07-18, 06:38 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMike
I want to ride further, faster and make the bike more my own. Ive added bar ends and Ive been playing around with an adjustable handlebar stem to really dial in come comfortable spot.
In my own humble opinion, upgrading wheels is a questionable value proposition. Unless you spend BIG money, it's not likely that you'll really improve your performance with new wheels, and even if you do spend BIG money, the wheels are likely not a limiting factor for you. Tires are usually good candidates for upgrades, as well as a different saddle if it's not comfortable to you.

You can quickly out-spend the value of the bike with more expensive upgrades like wheels (especially wheels that will make a difference, which will be expensive). It may be a better approach to change to a different bike, if your goals are endurance and speed. Other areas of upgrade for your current bike, if you're looking to shed weight, are the fork (your bike has a high-tensile steel fork, which is heavy relative to a carbon fiber fork) and the crankset (your bike has an entry level Shimano Tourney crankset, which is heavy relative to a higher grade of crankset). Collectively, these changes can make a difference (but they won't be inexpensive).
Old 09-07-18, 06:42 AM
AbsoluteMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are really good points. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-07-18, 09:36 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Would ride the current ones until they break (might be a while), then buy some with the same spoke count or higher

spend the money now on lights/reflective vest etc. so you can night ride if needed. also get a mirror, and get to know continental tires
Old 09-07-18, 10:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Alfine 11 speed IGH, optional; Di2 electronic shifting.. made for straight bars..