Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gloves get tighter? Strange old man question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 03:34 PM
dynawolf

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strange question here...

I am 55 and been riding for 30 years. I tend to keep my kit for a long time. I have noticed my hands are starting to tingle more. But...also, it seems my gloves feel tighter than they used to. I air dry them to keep them from shrinking. Question: do your hands keep growing as you age? I know I wear a half size bigger shoe than I did 10 years ago.
Old 10-30-18, 02:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Old style leather and knit fabric gloves can shrink, especially from years of being soaked in sweat, but can be stretched again when dampened with saddle soap or other leather treatment and worn while still damp. I wore the same pair of leather and knit gloves for about six years in the 1970s-'80s, occasionally using saddle soap on the leather to soften and stretch it again. Eventually the gloves fell apart but lasted longer than I'd expected.

Might also be a good idea to check your meds -- prescription and OTC, supplements, topical medications -- diet, new health issues, etc., for anything that might cause swelling. One of the few meds I'm allergic too is erythromycin antibiotic -- besides the GI upset it also made my hands swell. Arthritis can also cause hands to swell. It can start out so gradually it goes almost unnoticed at first. Ditto seasonal allergies for some folks.
Old 10-30-18, 03:05 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dynawolf
Strange question here...

I am 55 and been riding for 30 years. I tend to keep my kit for a long time. I have noticed my hands are starting to tingle more. But...also, it seems my gloves feel tighter than they used to. I air dry them to keep them from shrinking. Question: do your hands keep growing as you age? I know I wear a half size bigger shoe than I did 10 years ago.
I Don't mean to alarm you but have you spoken to your doctor about this?

It may be a sign of poor circulation or diabetes

Many years ago I suffered frostbite damage to the nerves/circulation in my left hand and now I have the tingling all the time there. It hurt my golf game as I have trouble now with the proper grip pressure. I am now 67

Old 10-30-18, 05:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
do your hands keep growing as you age? I know I wear a half size bigger shoe than I did 10 years ago.
Your feet a load-bearing for a big part of the day. They tend to flatten and widen/elongate over the years.
Doesn't seem like the hands would be as likely to do the same.
Old 10-30-18, 06:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
No, hands don't grow as you age (past your teenage years, at least). The mention of air drying the gloves implies that the OP has been regularly washing the gloves as part of a load of laundry, possibly in warm or hot water. Not surprising that the gloves have shrunk.
Old 10-30-18, 06:39 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's more likely that the gloves have shrunk than that your hands are getting bigger unless you're getting swelling for some reason. If you have diabetes or pre-diabetes, that's certainly something that would have been picked up at your most recent physical exam. As to the numbness and tingling, if that happen during other activities, or driving, or at night while in bed, you should mention it to your doctor. It may be some form of repetitive strain injury such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
Old 10-30-18, 11:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
OJ's gloves didn't fit.
Old 10-30-18, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OJ didn't take anti inflammation meds he was on, and the wet glove, shrunk ..

gave an effective show, back then

as to Topic; I always buy one size up. ski gloves are cheap..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-03-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 12:30 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Strange question here...

As a jazz guitarist hands are things I keep track of. Mine are the same size as they have been since I was around 20. I have fairly large hands but I am 6'1 and my shoe size has been the same. Funny I am runner first and been wearing 11.5 for years. Not sure if that is normal but my weight it down a bit from my best years of running but say 5 pounds. You can stretch your hands too as my left hand from playing it about 1 inch larger that my right and stretches way longer.
Old 10-30-18, 05:45 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
I know I wear a half size bigger shoe than I did 10 years ago.
Did you gain any weight over these 10 years? I've lost quite a bit of weight last year (70 pounds) and as a result needed to replace not only all clothes but shoes as well. Yeah, and previously very tight wedding ring started to fall off the finger as well, so hands also became significantly thinner.
Old 10-31-18, 01:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Look at people's hands and notice their ages. Yes, fingers definitely get thicker as we age, but I'm not sure the girth of the palm does.

Tingling is a medical condition, so I agree that you should ask a doctor, perhaps a sports doctor.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-18, 12:39 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
My hands have always given trouble with gloves. They just shut off the circulation; I use ski gloves which give the best results. And they're comfy!
Old 11-20-18, 09:21 PM
specialgreen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear thin leather gardening gloves. They get soaked-through with sweat. After a few months, yes, they get crusty and tight, and I get another pair ($7 at the hardware store). If I don't let them dry-out, then they don't shrink or get hard, but then they tear easily.
Old 11-20-18, 10:12 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
My gloves shrink from the laundry but stretch back after wearing. Hands on the other hand, definitely swell, and tingling can be a sign of circulation issues from hand placement and/or too restrictive gloves.
Old 11-28-18, 07:11 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I'm 69 and have noticed in the last year that the vibration on my motorcycle has gotten much worse. Was really concerned there was an issue with my motor, wheels, chain alignment, etc. Turns out it is my hands, not the bike at all. Grrrrr. Not only are my hands getting more sensitive to that kind of thing but they are getting a tad stiffer and my knuckles getting a tad bigger, arthritis I presume. Are your hands bigger because of swelling of arthritis or similar? Good luck. Getting old ain't for the weak of heart (my heart is another issue) but its' better than the alternative.
Old 11-28-18, 07:15 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
As a jazz guitarist hands are things I keep track of. Mine are the same size as they have been since I was around 20. I have fairly large hands but I am 6'1 and my shoe size has been the same. Funny I am runner first and been wearing 11.5 for years. Not sure if that is normal but my weight it down a bit from my best years of running but say 5 pounds. You can stretch your hands too as my left hand from playing it about 1 inch larger that my right and stretches way longer.
I've been a drummer for 56 years...now 69 and my hands and forearms are different sizes from playing. Nurses love me, my veins are very easy to find.
Old 12-01-18, 04:47 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm somewhat convinced gloves are made slightly narrower than in the past. I have strange hands ... the palm area is normal for a man my height/size but I have relatively short fingers. For years I bought medium sized gloves, which were slightly snug in the palm and slightly long in the fingers. It's now hard to find mediums that fit the palm area unless very snug. Maybe most/all gloves are made in China now, accounting for narrower widths?
Old 12-03-18, 07:44 AM
dynawolf

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here. I started wearing the same gloves all week without washing them and that seems to have solved the problem. No daily "fresh" gloves. They were shrinking when washed. All is well except my gloves smell like gym shoes as I sweat a bunch. But no tingling hands.