Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 05-31-15, 11:36 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
I think the 7.3 is the best value in the FX line and a huge upgrade over the 7.2.
I feel that the 7.3 is where the range "gets serious". Conventional wisdom is that the 3 is the "odd duck" of the range, since the 4 gets the carbon fork and one better derailleur, but I didn't really feel that was enough of a difference to justify the extra expense (I remain unconvinced that the ally fork is that much worse, and the one better derailleur won't really feel any different and will likely last just as long). To my mind the 7.4 was the odd one - the 7.4 Disc would've been a better step up (but was way out of my price range). That makes me wonder why they've never offered a 7.3 with discs, since when I got mine they had the 2 Disc in stock at my store (I don't remember if they still make a 7.2 with discs).

You can count me as someone who doesn't mind the Bontrager H1 saddle, either. It seems to fit my rear end pretty well - no...er...functional problems after a long ride (I am careful to keep on my sit bones), and I don't think the firm padding is too harsh. I might start looking at other saddles, to see if I find one that fits better, after all you'll never know unless you look.

Now, the pedals, I don't much care for. My Diamondback has wide, flat pedals and I can wear most any shoes on those, but they're slick when wet. The pedals on the FX, however, are much narrower, and I have to wear athletic shoes to keep from hurting my feet (and it doesn't always work). I'm considering first going with some MTB shoes, which will have a stiffer sole to better distribute the force. I'll probably get ones that have the option for cleats, and swapping in clipless pedals later (probably the kinds with a platform on one end and cleats on the other, since I like being able to hop on my bike to run up the street without having to put on special shoes).
Old 05-31-15, 11:41 PM
WDH74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obligatory photograph. Hard to tell but it's black with green stripes and pedal. The water bottle & cage are the only changes I've made (and they're currently not on the bike anyway).

Bike by William, on Flickr
Old 06-01-15, 12:40 AM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WDH74
That makes me wonder why they've never offered a 7.3 with discs
They used to, the option was discontinued in 2013. 2012 7.3 FX Disc - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
Old 06-01-15, 10:25 AM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WDH74
You can count me as someone who doesn't mind the Bontrager H1 saddle, either. It seems to fit my rear end pretty well - no...er...functional problems after a long ride (I am careful to keep on my sit bones), and I don't think the firm padding is too harsh. I might start looking at other saddles, to see if I find one that fits better, after all you'll never know unless you look.

Now, the pedals, I don't much care for. My Diamondback has wide, flat pedals and I can wear most any shoes on those, but they're slick when wet. The pedals on the FX, however, are much narrower, and I have to wear athletic shoes to keep from hurting my feet (and it doesn't always work). I'm considering first going with some MTB shoes, which will have a stiffer sole to better distribute the force. I'll probably get ones that have the option for cleats, and swapping in clipless pedals later (probably the kinds with a platform on one end and cleats on the other, since I like being able to hop on my bike to run up the street without having to put on special shoes).
I agree with you on both counts. I thought the H1 saddle wasn't bad for a stock saddle, though I went ahead and put a Tailbones saddle on that I already had. I may switch back and forth occasionally to decide which I like best. The pedals drew blood on my legs both times I bumped into them. I switched to my Shimano dual-sided mountain bike pedals as soon as I got the bike home.

Old 06-01-15, 06:53 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Now, the pedals, I don't much care for. My Diamondback has wide, flat pedals and I can wear most any shoes on those, but they're slick when wet. The pedals on the FX, however, are much narrower, and I have to wear athletic shoes to keep from hurting my feet (and it doesn't always work). I'm considering first going with some MTB shoes, which will have a stiffer sole to better distribute the force. I'll probably get ones that have the option for cleats, and swapping in clipless pedals later (probably the kinds with a platform on one end and cleats on the other, since I like being able to hop on my bike to run up the street without having to put on special shoes).[/QUOTE]

Dicks Sports carries a Diamonback alloy/alum pedal with replaceable pegs. For $20 or so you cannot go wrong. I switched to Shimano dual sided pedals but prior to that I used the D-backs.
Old 06-02-15, 09:05 AM
Banker

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of nice bikes here. I'm proud and content to say I just joined the FX club with my 7.3! Black is nice, but this green is killer! Loving this bike!

My seat is actually set a couple inches higher now, but this is pretty much my setup:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 7.3.jpg (94.8 KB, 1425 views)
Old 06-02-15, 09:08 AM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my 2015 7.3 FX in matte black in from my order. I've only had time for one 8 mile ride but it was pretty fast. When i had the wind at my back, I was in the top gear (3x9) and cruising. I also have an old Diamondback Cross Campus and the pedals on my new FX are much better. I felt like my shoes stuck to them really well. I really like the bike and only have one "problem".

When I switch gears - generally the 1-3 large gears- sometimes the bike won't shift smoothly. I'll from 2x6 to 3x6 for example and it'll try to switch and go cha chunk cha chunk cha chunk and then after doing that 2-4 seconds it'll switch over to the gear I was changing to. I've heard some gears make it tougher for the chain to switch. Does anyone know what the issue might be?
Old 06-03-15, 07:26 PM
knightblaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standard issue Grey Metallic FX 7.1 here. Really itching to get a rear rack and pannier but will be holding off a bit.

Attached Images
WP_20150603_09_34_09_Pro.jpg (99.4 KB, 1170 views)
Old 06-03-15, 10:37 PM
WDH74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rsmith11
When I switch gears - generally the 1-3 large gears- sometimes the bike won't shift smoothly. I'll from 2x6 to 3x6 for example and it'll try to switch and go cha chunk cha chunk cha chunk and then after doing that 2-4 seconds it'll switch over to the gear I was changing to. I've heard some gears make it tougher for the chain to switch. Does anyone know what the issue might be?
Might just be an adjustment issue. My particular 7.3 doesn't like 4th gear (particularly on the middle ring) if I'm downshifting into it - it seems fine going up through the gears. I was really having problems with it at the end of last season but a tuneup seemed to rectify that - of course now it's back a bit.

I don't really think it's a fault of the bike, as much as it's newness. My old Diamondback went out of tune really fast.
Old 06-04-15, 11:18 AM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've decided to leave the chainguard off.

Old 06-08-15, 09:48 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Took the twins (both FX's) on a 10 mile ride through central park and the east side of manhattan yesterday. weather was perfect and we stopped along the way at a street fair.

Currently waiting on the delivery of TWO (one for each bike) delta pro stem risers to give my wife and i a more upright riding position. the bikes are fine as is, we dont have any pains or complaints but the upright position is really important when riding on the streets of nyc.

Attached Images
IMG_0757.jpg (106.3 KB, 1209 views)
IMG_0758.jpg (101.6 KB, 1181 views)

Last edited by sh00k; 06-08-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 08:20 PM
Dirty Red

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 Lime Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banker
Lots of nice bikes here. I'm proud and content to say I just joined the FX club with my 7.3! Black is nice, but this green is killer! Loving this bike!

My seat is actually set a couple inches higher now, but this is pretty much my setup:

I bought the same one in March after not riding for almost 10 years. My setup is similar with an additional water bottle cage. I love the color also! The Matte Black is sweet, but I see a lot of black bikes out there. Rarely see the Lime Green and got some nice comments on it.
Old 06-11-15, 10:35 AM
knightblaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph

I took delivery yesterday of this 2016 FX 7.4 (22.5 inch) in the new for '16 color called "Firebrand."
Was at the LBS yesterday returning my 7.1 FX and deciding between a 1.1 or FX 7.4. After test riding the 1.2 and literally nose diving when trying to dismount (not used to foot cages) I quickly decided it wasn't for me. So when I went to test ride the 7.4 here was an awesome Firebrand FX. Rode it and quickly bought it. The color instantly sold me (was eyeing the green of the 7.3, but the Orange is just so bad ass!). Anxiously awaiting next week to pick it up!
Old 06-12-15, 12:37 PM
lshaped

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7.5 fx

The FX line is the workhorse in the stable of Trek Bikes. I have a 2009 7.5 fx in my rotation of 3 bikes. It's my commuter and I rolled 10,000 miles on it 3 weeks ago- getting close to 11,000 miles. I've made very few mods to it other than a specialized seat and stem, panniers and headlights. This bike is bulletproof and has held up really well- even the wheels which are of the paired spoke variety. I've had the cables replaced and the cassette but other than than, nothing else replaced. I'm looking forward to my next 10,000 miles on it
Attached Images
mileage.jpg (88.6 KB, 1136 views)
Old 06-15-15, 09:34 AM
FasterNU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knightblaze
Was at the LBS yesterday returning my 7.1 FX and deciding between a 1.1 or FX 7.4. After test riding the 1.2 and literally nose diving when trying to dismount (not used to foot cages) I quickly decided it wasn't for me. So when I went to test ride the 7.4 here was an awesome Firebrand FX. Rode it and quickly bought it. The color instantly sold me (was eyeing the green of the 7.3, but the Orange is just so bad ass!). Anxiously awaiting next week to pick it up!
Hello and congradulations on the new bike.
I am deciding between the FX 7.3 (Green) and 7.4 (Firebrand) and I am hoping you can answer a question, do these bike have the same or similar bottom bracket? I test rode the 7.3 and 7.5 and decided not to go with the 7.5 (boring color choise). However I did notice that the 7.5 had a different style bottom bracket (PF30 I believe) while the 7.3 had what I believe is a BB90.
Can you tell me which you 7.4 has? I doubt this will be the deciding factor and I will likely go to the dealer this week anyway.
Also was there anything beyond the color that made you choose the 7.4 over the 7.3?
Old 06-15-15, 09:56 AM
knightblaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By bottom bracket you mean near the Crank? I haven't taken delivery of my 7.4 yet, but once I do i can verify what it is (picking it up either tomorrow or Wednesday).
Old 06-15-15, 10:46 AM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I bought a 2015 7.4fx last week, and have put a few cautious miles on it, as this is a return to biking after many years. I am enjoying the bike, but my hands are tending to go numb. They are getting better each day, but I am only riding 2-3 miles at a time. I am trying to loosen my death grip, and that is helping.

My only mod so far is a water bottle cage (big mod, I know). Will likely get the duotrap combo sensor and computer this week.

Now, I would be happy to post a pix of the bottom bracket on this bike, but are we talking about the crank gear set, or the derailleur or just what?

Angie

Last edited by zeeway; 06-15-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 06:08 PM
yashinon

Zeeway, get some bar ends. Did you get the WSD frame? Post pix!
Old 06-15-15, 06:09 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by FasterNU
Hello and congradulations on the new bike.
I am deciding between the FX 7.3 (Green) and 7.4 (Firebrand) and I am hoping you can answer a question, do these bike have the same or similar bottom bracket? I test rode the 7.3 and 7.5 and decided not to go with the 7.5 (boring color choise). However I did notice that the 7.5 had a different style bottom bracket (PF30 I believe) while the 7.3 had what I believe is a BB90.
Can you tell me which you 7.4 has? I doubt this will be the deciding factor and I will likely go to the dealer this week anyway.
Also was there anything beyond the color that made you choose the 7.4 over the 7.3?
What difference does the bottom bracket make?
Old 06-15-15, 07:58 PM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion of bar ends. No WSD (yep, I am a guy).

Angie
Old 06-15-15, 08:37 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by zeeway
Thanks for the suggestion of bar ends. No WSD (yep, I am a guy).

Angie
Zeeway, my apology for the mixup. Bar ends would help numbness and give you more positions.
Old 06-15-15, 08:39 PM
FasterNU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all who replied to my question. I stopped by the bike shop today and they verified that the 7.4 has the same bottom bracket as the 7.3.
The style on the 7.5 is supposed to be stiffer and easier to maintain but I wouldn't know.
Old 06-15-15, 10:03 PM
usood89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how are you guys able to see available colors for the 2016 lineup? trek website only has 2015's available
Old 06-15-15, 10:47 PM
FasterNU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2016 model information

If you go to TrekBicycleSuperstore.com (Bikes - Trek Bicycle Superstore) you can see some 2016 models. They currently have 22 models but a few are just frames.

Last edited by FasterNU; 06-15-15 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Correct year information
Old 06-15-15, 10:57 PM
usood89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I will be going next week to buy a 7.3 or 7.2 for myself (can't decide), and a 7.2 wsd for my girlfriend. Only thing is wouldn't you guys wait for the 2016 to come out or just go for the 2015? No upgrades we know of?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.