Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living with/without a car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living with/without a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 05:48 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Good points, but in fact public transit is on the rise, so at least some of the "we' actually are "we".
Still put it to a vote and see how many are we.

Show how this massive on the rise is for public transportation. Just so the rest of the we can see. I say the "we" he is talking about is a long way off from telling others how many times they can ride Uber or if they can get force the private corporations to give more railways to public concerns. I would put my money somewhere else if it were me. I was simply pointing out that idealism is not the same as reality.

https://traveltrends.transportation.o...nts/CA10-4.pdf

Last edited by Mobile 155; 02-23-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 05:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
When someone says "50 percent of driving in my opinion is out or leisure or boredom ..." right there is when I stop reading.

The hardest thing to find is an idealist who is also a realist. The easiest thing to find is a person who makes stuff up and believes it then to be true. All I have to do to find them is go to any web forum.
True!

Regarding percentages ... my guess would be that 1% drive out of boredom. I am willing to acknowledge that there may be a few people out there who do. Hard to imagine but ...

Then there may be 9% who do the Sunday Drive (leisure ).

Leaving 90% who do purposeful driving.
Old 02-23-18, 06:05 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
True!

Regarding percentages ... my guess would be that 1% drive out of boredom. I am willing to acknowledge that there may be a few people out there who do. Hard to imagine but ...

Then there may be 9% who do the Sunday Drive (leisure ).

Leaving 90% who do purposeful driving.
When my daughter was an infant she would have these crying fits that lasted for hours. But if I put her in the car and go for a drive she would quiet down after a little bit. We have interstate 285 that goes around the city in a 70 miles. Many nights we did that loop to get some peace and quiet.

We tried rocking and bouncing on the knee and pacifiers and all kinds of stuff. The car was a fix that worked.
Old 02-23-18, 06:06 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It is easy to see why you and Tandempower find so much in common.
Could there be something in the water in Florida?
Old 02-23-18, 06:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by bp2k8
Can't tell if that is a good or bad thing but I will take it as a major compliment considering the thoughtful and profetic content and style of TandemPower's speech and writing.
[SKIP]
I live in South Florida where people have no idea where they are going and there are tourists and snowbirds everywhere I stand by my statement and I am quite the realist actually. I am not a mathematician so forgive me for a random percentage but I still abide by my statement and dont expect others to understand.
Quite the realist in your opinion, but don't expect others to understand your statements?
Are you sure you are not related to Tandempower?
Old 02-23-18, 06:13 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Walter S
When my daughter was an infant she would have these crying fits that lasted for hours. But if I put her in the car and go for a drive she would quiet down after a little bit. We have interstate 285 that goes around the city in a 70 miles. Many nights we did that loop to get some peace and quiet.

We tried rocking and bouncing on the knee and pacifiers and all kinds of stuff. The car was a fix that worked.

There was a time when families went for Sunday drives just to see the sights. As a young driver we would go cruising. I won't confess to the reasons. But that doesn't happen as much anymore. Still a car is pretty nice when you are young and dating. But that is a short part of our lives, or should be.
Old 02-23-18, 06:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Being people that prefer the convenience of a car or the pleasure of a bicycle ride for starters.

Many people have multiple destinations, shopping needs, are not close to bus stops, don’t want to hang out with scam artists hitting you up for money, have tight schedules and don’t enjoy exercise, or other reasons.
Oh pish-posh, don't you know that some LCF posters don't share those preferences or have any similar requirements, therefore none of those reasons are valid, at least not in their alternate version of reality, and can be dismissed as wasteful or without purpose.
Old 02-23-18, 08:08 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh pish-posh, don't you know that some LCF posters don't share those preferences or have any similar requirements, therefore none of those reasons are valid, at least not in their alternate version of reality, and can be dismissed as wasteful or without purpose.
Seems like some want to outlaw cars and make public transportation mandatory. For me personally no biggie. I’m riding the bus this very minute. But I would not presume to dictate my practices as the only way to live. This forum should support and encourage LCF. Getting moralistic about it and expecting others to join in the crusade I find distasteful and alienating.
Old 02-23-18, 08:36 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Quite the realist in your opinion, but don't expect others to understand your statements?
Are you sure you are not related to Tandempower?
Nailed it. Whether in 'spirit', so to speak, or in reality ... no matter.
Old 02-23-18, 08:43 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Getting moralistic about it and expecting others to join in the crusade I find distasteful and alienating.

You don't belong here.
Old 02-23-18, 08:53 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
There was a time when families went for Sunday drives just to see the sights. As a young driver we would go cruising. I won't confess to the reasons. But that doesn't happen as much anymore. Still a car is pretty nice when you are young and dating. But that is a short part of our lives, or should be.
Reminds me of a distant memory -- I'd put it at the late 50s -- when dads would take the family to walk the car parks when the new models for the following year began to show up on the lots in September.
Old 02-23-18, 09:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
When did this become the car glorification forum?
Old 02-23-18, 09:12 PM
bp2k8

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
people always ridicule people on the cusp of something.

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 09:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
When did this become the car glorification forum?
Several months ago when all the threads in here became about cars. Where have you been?
Old 02-23-18, 09:15 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
its too bad

Old 02-23-18, 09:22 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
it is what it is

Old 02-23-18, 09:34 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
nobody chooses to see the truth.

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 10:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I beieve you but not in Florida or other area like california etc. I have even followed people on my way to work as they too were going the same direction and I have seen the same people going to the beach everyday. Just walk there or bike there man good grief... This isn't NJ (my home state) where the beach is far or only in certain areas....Cali, Florida etc have entire coastlines, so miss me with the car is needed cause of distance stuff lol. I have even seen a 60 + year lady on roller blades who always says hi to me as she skates by and I see her skate from ft lauderdale las olas area all the way back aventura so pretty good distance. There is no excuse for the amount of cars basically just taking up space...
You know I don't live in the US, Tandempower ... you know I live in Australia.
Old 02-23-18, 10:56 PM
Mobile 155

Probably so but I drink mostly coconut water from my palms and am not on tap city water so perhaps when I shower the water from the well

now back to your responses...

No I said its cheaper to move people WHERE the food is so move people who have a connection to jamaica there...others who have a appreciation for thailand there etc. IF they wanted to...

I never claimed to be a government worker or have the knowledge therein and I am not speaking from a soap box nor with entitlement or authority. I am just simply passing a skeleton structure of what COULD BE.

You do know realism requires a realistic solution? What could be requires a plan supported by a group that has the support to do something. Otherwise it is called dreaming.

Dreaming is what keeps a human alive. If you stop dreaming you are spiritually dead. Dreams even if not grounded into reality are still stored and the soul continues on...

I appreciate the amtrak article as I was under the impression they or the states they pass thru, own the tracks. Kind of like how in california the metrolink shares the same rails as Amtrak but I think Amtrak leases them from Metrolink or the state.

And now you know your plan won't work.
Fair enough

As for uber I stand by my statement. I never said to recycle every single car and erase them from history!

So if people cannot get what they want when they want it that means the entire system should shut down lol Nonsense. Sounds ike do what thou wilt which is some satanic nonsense as well

But you are making it seem like such a daunting task... Have you ever visited latin america or asia? Thousands of people rely on old school cheese yellow buses,jeepney tuk tuk etc and they go to cities throughout the respective countries with fares equal to 1-5usd depending on distance/route. I dont know what you mean. It is up to the person to get their own time with the respective schedules.

Could we not turn public trans into something more friendly for these types. If there are open windows possibly music or wifi on board does that not help? I cannot stand wifi as its not healthy but if it helps people to ride so be it.
It does not have to be uber it can be buses. Do you not understand my point? The goal is to stop people from thinking their car is a tank and they can drive anywhere at any time and no respect for pedestrians and cyclists and such.

Who's goal exactly? Can they take their car if they have respect for pedestrians and cyclists? Care to guess the percentages of people that have a car "and" are pedestrians and cyclists? Do you think it is more than 50 percent?

I would think yes most people who are cyclists and obviously pedistrian everyone technically is a pedestrian just at different times/days and I would think the percentage is quite high. However can we not argue that many people who have a car and bike etc are affluent or obviosuly doing bettr than most in other countries. Where I live I see a lot of hype beasts pedaling the latest bling carbon bike and I am sure they have a nice house and car too. However do they need every single thing they have purchased...?. Also nowadays people take advantage of insurance fraud and get $ as well as lease cars etc and it makes people feel powerful. This is the reason they dont want to take bus or walk. My coworkers even said they dont like to sweat. Then why do you (my coworkers) live in Forida? lol cmon now... You cannot refute this point and if you do its cause you do not live in a area like south florida etc

my question is do they Really need to go or is it a WANT. I WANT 1 MILLION dollars... but do I NEED it...no. Most americans swear they NEED everything and have a nervous breakdown if they dont get it. Its nonsense

I am not a kid but only 25 which is stiull quite young but I dont ive simiarly to how most of the youth do.

Mobile155 I too have a klein quantum race so I will take your advice even more and ponder your expressions whilst when I am pedaling on the quantum race although ironically my quantum ii is in better shape forest green one. I hope you know I am not trying to talk down or disrespect but sincerely conversing with you.

I am not interested in going back over each point but I will address a few.

1: It is not less expensive to move people to the food. Moving people requires far more equipment than moving food. The number and distances involved are far too great. But it makes a good sound bite. I was in logistics and transportation for 19 years I can promise you moving people required a lot more expense than moving food or equipment.
2: Uber would shut down because they couldn't make money and when a company can't make money they shut down. Been to a video store lately? They get paid by the number of rides they give. Cut the number like you suggested and there is no incentive to stay contracted to Uber or any other system.
3: I have been to Latin America, Asia, Africa and Europe. ( I wonder if you have or is it something someone told you about?) I have lived with and stayed with the poor living in all of those places. The difference might be I have also talked with the people trying to get by doing just as you suggest. As I mentioned to TP I have seen mothers walking 3 hours one way to take their children for free medical care because they couldn't afford a local hospital. Trains didn't go there, buses only went there once a week walking was about the only option left to them. They almost to the family wanted a better life and that translated to transportation to where they wanted to go when they wanted. Yes if you were from a first world country the cost of getting some little guy to haul you on a bicycle to the town center was about 25 cents in our money but that was more than two hours pay in their area. A ride in a diesel mini van was about the same but they could carry more people. The process was about the same in Latin America as it was in Asia or Africa.
4: Humans do not live by being dreamers they live by making their dreams come true. Sitting back and tossing out dreams might be comforting but doing something to make people's life better is fulfilling. These are people we are talking about and life is more than just getting by life is finding how to fulfill some of the people's wants. It would be best not to judge what others want and say it is unnecessary.
5: It is often said that is people only knew the joys of LCF they would't want cars. I have yet to see that proven. I have seen people that are happy to be car light but those mothers walking their children to a free clinic would be more than happy to get a ride in a car.
6: I do live in an area that gets hot. I my not get your humidity but I can assure you people that work in an office don't like other people that come in sweaty. I rode a bicycle to work 20 miles one way for two years but we had a shower and a locker for a change of clothes. But I can also assure when I was dating and first married my wife wasn't going to ride a bicycle to a dinner with friends wearing an after five dress and heels. And I wasn't ever going to question her on if she needed a after five dress and heels or if she just wanted it.

Maybe some should be careful in deciding what others need and assigning our values to that as a want rather than a need. If we forget that soon others will be assigning our needs as wants. All I am trying to say is research your solutions and see if people that do things are working on them. If not ask yourself why not? The answer may just be, most people don't want it.
Old 02-24-18, 09:10 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
people dont want to leave their comfort zone

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 12:06 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Seems like some want to outlaw cars and make public transportation mandatory. For me personally no biggie. I’m riding the bus this very minute. But I would not presume to dictate my practices as the only way to live. This forum should support and encourage LCF. Getting moralistic about it and expecting others to join in the crusade I find distasteful and alienating.
I would agree with you if I didn't think that 'respecting the freedom to drive' will always be abused by a culture that puts the business-preservation aspects of driving above all the benefits that come from reducing driving. If people were gradually realizing the benefits of LCF on their own and motor-traffic and sprawl were shrinking into the foreseeable horizon, I think it would be easy to be patient with all the driving that goes on because people haven't figured out how to make LCF work (yet).

But when I consider that the freedom to drive will be incessantly used to promote the most car sales and driving possible by businesses that would trip and undermine any and all efforts to explain to the public why/how LCF is a solution for environmental and population-growth problems, that spoils my good faith in that freedom.
Old 02-24-18, 01:47 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
I would agree with you if I didn't think that 'respecting the freedom to drive' will always be abused by a culture that puts the business-preservation aspects of driving above all the benefits that come from reducing driving. If people were gradually realizing the benefits of LCF on their own and motor-traffic and sprawl were shrinking into the foreseeable horizon, I think it would be easy to be patient with all the driving that goes on because people haven't figured out how to make LCF work (yet).

But when I consider that the freedom to drive will be incessantly used to promote the most car sales and driving possible by businesses that would trip and undermine any and all efforts to explain to the public why/how LCF is a solution for environmental and population-growth problems, that spoils my good faith in that freedom.
You need to wait. Getting around by bicycle with safe and pleasant infrastructure has dramatically improved since the 1970s. But you’ll continue to see a heavy car presence as long as that’s commensurate with the number of drivers. TOO BAD!!! The world was not designed for you. Personally I’m grateful for all the investment in trails and greenspaces around Atlanta. It’s out of step with the level to which it is utilized. Kind of like they designed it for me

Stop your sniveling.
Old 02-24-18, 02:06 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
You need to wait. Getting around by bicycle with safe and pleasant infrastructure has dramatically improved since the 1970s. But you’ll continue to see a heavy car presence as long as that’s commensurate with the number of drivers. TOO BAD!!! The world was not designed for you. Personally I’m grateful for all the investment in trails and greenspaces around Atlanta. It’s out of step with the level to which it is utilized. Kind of like they designed it for me

Stop your sniveling.
Not 'sniveling.' I'm also happy about the improvements that have been made and continue to be made. I'm just also not trying to deny social/psychological/culture forces that go against it. To me many things are worth resisting, but not progress toward LCF.
Old 02-24-18, 02:09 PM
McBTC

Personally I’m grateful for all the investment in trails and greenspaces ...

True, true, many – both on- and off-road – are for many, conveniently within a comfortable driving distance
Old 02-24-18, 02:27 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by McBTC
True, true, many – both on- and off-road – are for many, conveniently within a comfortable driving distance
Or in my case an off road trail that starts a few hundred feet from my front door and leads to a pretty lake hidden in the woods 1/2 mile up the road that has a beaver dam and birds etc. Or an afternoon ride to Piedmont Park connecting on the Atlanta Beltline trail about 10 miles from home. Driving there would be a hassle with traffic and parking etc. Not for me. I want to enjoy my entire outing including going and coming. But I am indeed blessed with that option. Like I said it only gets better over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.