Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The beginning of end... automotive industry?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The beginning of end... automotive industry?

Old 06-26-18, 03:19 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
Here's a good discussion of the pros and cons of 'AVs'.

Are we going too fast on driverless cars? | Science | AAAS
Old 06-26-18, 03:22 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
At least three of us in this thread are arguing against it.
ahh disagreement is fighting against an idea no one else is working on? I get it. I vote you the leader of the resistance.

Old 06-26-18, 06:23 PM
Mobile 155

Lets change the tone a bit. Have we done any research about what people are expecting from self driving cars and its effect on transportation? Not sitting in a dark room and dreaming but how some of this might effect how people move about. Here is something I read today. https://www.economist.com/internatio...wealthy-cities

I am not claiming it is the definitive answer but it does seem to agree with the idea that if, and that is a big if, self driving cars become available they will also change our perceptions of mass transit as well. More than likely for the same reasons cars have effected transit. It is not some major conspiracy it is an attempt to cater to the people and their wants and what they will pay for.

I don't expect to see many of these changes in a city near me in the next ten or fifteen years and maybe never. But I do believe the majority will decide what they want to spend their money on and if that means small vehicles buzzing around town and the death of the full sized bus so be it.
Old 06-26-18, 06:27 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I don't believe AV will be restricted to specific route however, they will undoubtedly have priority routes (high-speed lanes) available to allow them to operate more efficiently.
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

look up conspiracy and disagreement or opposition. Just because someone doesn’t agree with my vision of the future doesn’t mean they are part of a conspiracy.

It isn’t as if it is a secret people would like to keep a job. Nor is it a conspiracy that someone is trying to make self driving vehicles. People aren’t meeting in dark rooms planning on how to stop progress. They might do it in open debate and by votes but that is not what we call a conspiracy.

No they're not. I'm guessing those rooms are well lit. In any event, congress meets to plan your future every day.
Old 06-26-18, 06:30 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by cooker
Here's a good discussion of the pros and cons of 'AVs'.

Are we going too fast on driverless cars? | Science | AAAS
Good read. And here is another. https://www.wired.com/story/autonomo...inancial-ruin/
Old 06-26-18, 07:53 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Bah, humbug, that is the exactly the thing most people are/were worried about and thus... someone is suggesting that is going to happen is a... Bah humbug... Bah, humbug,.. Bah humbug... When GM bought all the trams and disposed of them in some major cities in the US, it was considered a step forward,... NOT, It was in GM's best interest to buy the trams and dispose of them, so people would NEED/HAVE to have cars to get from A to B... and, there in lies the modern version of life today, MADE, an almost necessity, by a company that had the resources to have achieved it's goals...
Old 06-26-18, 08:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Some people look for Enemies like children look for monsters under their bed.
And some of those who follow their own moonbeams seem to frequently find them when/where anyone doesn't share a taste for fabricating or embracing bizarre schemes and speculation.

Finding friends or fellow travelers who choose to join them on their strange path of enlightenment, probably not so much.
Old 06-26-18, 09:22 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Bah, humbug, that is the exactly the thing most people are/were worried about and thus... someone is suggesting that is going to happen is a... Bah humbug... Bah, humbug,.. Bah humbug... When GM bought all the trams and disposed of them in some major cities in the US, it was considered a step forward,... NOT, It was in GM's best interest to buy the trams and dispose of them, so people would NEED/HAVE to have cars to get from A to B... and, there in lies the modern version of life today, MADE, an almost necessity, by a company that had the resources to have achieved it's goals...
Nice story and indeed the plot line of "Who Framed Rodger Rabbit," But not necessarily the truth and the whole truth. GM owned the buses that replaced the Trams. The Trams were not as flexible as a Bus and weren't as easy to add lines to as the city expanded into Suburbs. But that can be researched pretty easily. The car simply replaced the bus. Read or not or simply google it. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gm-...ally-happened/

https://www.latimes.com/local/califor...103-story.html

But it is an interesting story.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 06-26-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 09:06 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Nice story and indeed the plot line of "Who Framed Rodger Rabbit," But not necessarily the truth and the whole truth. GM owned the buses that replaced the Trams. The Trams were not as flexible as a Bus and weren't as easy to add lines to as the city expanded into Suburbs. But that can be researched pretty easily. The car simply replaced the bus. Read or not or simply google it. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gm-...ally-happened/

Tracking the slow decline of the Pacific Electric Railway Red Cars

But it is an interesting story.
Yes it is an interesting story... and... Also seems to be correct even according to your link, as in it, it even says many were convicted and fined for conspiring to do what I said they did in 1946... yes, they were only fined a $1 per each electric railway car totaling $37,007. but legally they still did what they did and got their wrists slapped...

Last edited by 350htrr; 06-27-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 10:49 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Yes it is an interesting story... and... Also seems to be correct even according to your link, as in it, it even says many were convicted and fined for conspiring to do what I said they did in 1946... yes, they were only fined a $1 per each electric railway car totaling $37,007. but legally they still did what they did and got their wrists slapped...
Are you sure it wasn't just a conspiracy to cover up that the government was interfering with the supply and demand of drivers wanting those old streetcars and rails out of their way and the supply side heeding the demand? I mean, if drivers want to gang up against pedestrians, transit, cyclists, etc. that's just supply and demand, right?
Old 06-27-18, 11:34 AM
Mobile 155

yes, the point was the Trams were failing way before the replacement by the buses. And yes the natural evolution for GM was cars. The point is trams were dying and people were looking for a solution. People with the money to invest offered a solution and like any good salesman convinced the people to accept their solution.

It isn’t just America look all over the western world and Asia. What seems to work is addressing people’s wants. Find out what their wants are and people will line up to buy what you are selling.

I am not judging the system it has worked for maybe 2000 years.
Old 06-27-18, 02:35 PM
tandempower

yes, the point was the Trams were failing way before the replacement by the buses. And yes the natural evolution for GM was cars. The point is trams were dying and people were looking for a solution. People with the money to invest offered a solution and like any good salesman convinced the people to accept their solution.

It isn’t just America look all over the western world and Asia. What seems to work is addressing people’s wants. Find out what their wants are and people will line up to buy what you are selling.

I am not judging the system it has worked for maybe 2000 years.
How can you think that people's wants and their minds generally during that time weren't heavily under the influence of the economic and political pressures that surrounded the great depression and WWII? I have seen video clips from that time where automotive expansion is promoted by an attractive young woman supposedly independently voicing her opinion at a public meeting that expanding the automotive infrastructure will bring jobs, growth, and prosperity to her family for the present and future. People at that time were desperate for economic prosperity and they weren't capable of considering the negative repercussions of the ubiquitous driving and sprawl continuing to expand for decades to come.

If people were in support of modernizing transportation, and the trams were failing that could simply be because of economic patterns and desperation to escape depression. They could have just as easily revamped the rail systems and built vehicles for the rails, but they were probably obsessed with their latest technological achievements, such as synthetic rubber for tires, so they thought, "out with the old and in with the new" instead of remembering that rails are efficient in ways that tires and pavement aren't. If you can't see that there was neglect for the value of rail transit because of bias in favor of the automotive culture, then you must yourself be biased toward automotive dominance.
Old 06-27-18, 03:06 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by tandempower
How can you think that people's wants and their minds generally during that time weren't heavily under the influence of the economic and political pressures that surrounded the great depression and WWII? I have seen video clips from that time where automotive expansion is promoted by an attractive young woman supposedly independently voicing her opinion at a public meeting that expanding the automotive infrastructure will bring jobs, growth, and prosperity to her family for the present and future. People at that time were desperate for economic prosperity and they weren't capable of considering the negative repercussions of the ubiquitous driving and sprawl continuing to expand for decades to come.

If people were in support of modernizing transportation, and the trams were failing that could simply be because of economic patterns and desperation to escape depression. They could have just as easily revamped the rail systems and built vehicles for the rails, but they were probably obsessed with their latest technological achievements, such as synthetic rubber for tires, so they thought, "out with the old and in with the new" instead of remembering that rails are efficient in ways that tires and pavement aren't. If you can't see that there was neglect for the value of rail transit because of bias in favor of the automotive culture, then you must yourself be biased toward automotive dominance.
we all have biases and I suppose financial opportunity is tempting. Please explain what is wrong about wanting , "will bring jobs, growth, and prosperity to her family for the present and future."? However I don’t believe for a second you can tell me what the people were thinking between 1945 and 1961. Not here and not in Europe and not in Japan and not in China or India.

People spend their money in what they believe in. Companies invest in what they can make money with. The pro team people could as easily have tried to convince the masses to keep trams but they couldn’t. The con team was able to convince society to go in their direction. If you believe your vision was right and theirs was wrong you have to believe people in the America’s, Europe and Asia were wrong and were not able to reason. Or to use your logic you must be biased towards poverty after the Second World War. Sometimes you just have to realize people can choose their own direction and sometimes it will not be the one you have chosen. It’s called life. If you cannot convince investors or the masses to do as you wish that doesn't mean they are wrong. The one that cannot convince others might be wrong. Being against Jobs, growth and prosperity doesn't seem like a winning idea to me. Does it to you?

Last edited by Mobile 155; 06-27-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 05:10 PM
tandempower

we all have biases and I suppose financial opportunity is tempting. Please explain what is wrong about wanting , "will bring jobs, growth, and prosperity to her family for the present and future."? However I don’t believe for a second you can tell me what the people were thinking between 1945 and 1961. Not here and not in Europe and not in Japan and not in China or India.

People spend their money in what they believe in. Companies invest in what they can make money with. The pro team people could as easily have tried to convince the masses to keep trams but they couldn’t. The con team was able to convince society to go in their direction. If you believe your vision was right and theirs was wrong you have to believe people in the America’s, Europe and Asia were wrong and were not able to reason. Or to use your logic you must be biased towards poverty after the Second World War. Sometimes you just have to realize people can choose their own direction and sometimes it will not be the one you have chosen. It’s called life. If you cannot convince investors or the masses to do as you wish that doesn't mean they are wrong. The one that cannot convince others might be wrong. Being against Jobs, growth and prosperity doesn't seem like a winning idea to me. Does it to you?
Getting everyone driving, then creating sprawl and overpaving to the point where walking and biking for transportation are not comfortable and convenient enough to be a popular option is not prosperity. Likewise, when growth depends on maintaining automotive expenditure levels when things would get better with the automotive population shrinking is not good growth. You don't understand economics is relative to the past. If you have a terrible health condition that you spend $100s monthly on and you suddenly figure out you can be healthy by exercising and eating healthy, that results in negative economic growth but it is better to be independently healthy. Do you not understand that? For you to say that choosing independent health is bad for growth and jobs means that you are advocating people stay unhealthy to keep transaction dollar amounts growing. That is terrible, don't you think?
Old 06-27-18, 05:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts

Sometimes you just have to realize people can choose their own direction and sometimes it will not be the one you have chosen. It’s called life. If you cannot convince investors or the masses to do as you wish that doesn't mean they are wrong. The one that cannot convince others might be wrong. Being against Jobs, growth and prosperity doesn't seem like a winning idea to me. Does it to you?
You are wasting your electrons.

Old 06-27-18, 05:56 PM
Mobile 155

Getting everyone driving, then creating sprawl and overpaving to the point where walking and biking for transportation are not comfortable and convenient enough to be a popular option is not prosperity. Likewise, when growth depends on maintaining automotive expenditure levels when things would get better with the automotive population shrinking is not good growth. You don't understand economics is relative to the past. If you have a terrible health condition that you spend $100s monthly on and you suddenly figure out you can be healthy by exercising and eating healthy, that results in negative economic growth but it is better to be independently healthy. Do you not understand that? For you to say that choosing independent health is bad for growth and jobs means that you are advocating people stay unhealthy to keep transaction dollar amounts growing. That is terrible, don't you think?
None of this is an answer to what dries an economy. You are posting wishes I am talking about decisions made by friends and neighbors. Did people have retirement benefits, investments, health benefits like they do now? I do not think a growing economy is a bad thing. There I have said it, success has its perks. Comfort for whole families.

But ILTB is right, you don't care about others or their comfort. You aren't interested in counter points. I don't even know if you have anyone living with you that you care for. I do,and many of the families from that time period to now did. They looked at what there was to be gained by jobs, prosperity security and economic growth and reached into their wallet and or voted. I know a lot of unhealthy poor people and plenty of healthy average people as well as wealthy people. Of the three the latter two seem better to me. It seems as if several million people agree.
Old 06-27-18, 05:59 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are wasting your electrons.

And I always though of myself as Don Quixote. Maybe this proves it.
Old 06-27-18, 06:07 PM
tandempower

None of this is an answer to what dries an economy. You are posting wishes I am talking about decisions made by friends and neighbors. Did people have retirement benefits, investments, health benefits like they do now? I do not think a growing economy is a bad thing. There I have said it, success has its perks. Comfort for whole families.

But ILTB is right, you don't care about others or their comfort. You aren't interested in counter points. I don't even know if you have anyone living with you that you care for. I do,and many of the families from that time period to now did. They looked at what there was to be gained by jobs, prosperity security and economic growth and reached into their wallet and or voted. I know a lot of unhealthy poor people and plenty of healthy average people as well as wealthy people. Of the three the latter two seem better to me. It seems as if several million people agree.
So basically what you're saying is that if selling cars and infrastructure generates more monetary transactions than bikes and non-motorized infrastructure, you and others are for that regardless of how good or bad driving might be in the grand scheme of things? That's your final argument? That the environment and quality of life and health and everything else that money can't buy can't be achieved without the growth and jobs ubiquitous driving generates and so you'd rather whitewash the drive-everywhere lifestyle for the economic benefits than admit there could be a better way?
Old 06-27-18, 06:30 PM
350htrr

Conspiracy... What IS a conspiracy..??? Literary translations do NOT NEED to be really applied, to "become a conspiracy" in ... "result"... as... In lets say 10 business owners decide... ON their own violation, to do a certain thing at the same time, BUT the re-result can be the "same"... Forcing a sector of the economy, to behave the way they think it should behave... a thin line, once crossed can be a MAJOR problem, thus there "are" laws to "try" and control that...
Old 06-27-18, 06:44 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Getting everyone driving, then creating sprawl and overpaving to the point where walking and biking for transportation are not comfortable and convenient enough to be a popular option is not prosperity. Likewise, when growth depends on maintaining automotive expenditure levels when things would get better with the automotive population shrinking is not good growth. ………..
Wisely thought-out..... but historically inaccurate. Outside the walls of ancient Rome was what citizens called suburbium, meaning what was literally below or outside the walls. Sprawl… pre-dates automobiles.. by hundreds of years. Recent events (of the past century or two) mimic a much older global history. Cars.... just happen to be here.
Cars have come... and they too will also past. Sprawl... we be with us long into the future.
Old 06-27-18, 06:57 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
So basically what you're saying is that if selling cars and infrastructure generates more monetary transactions than bikes and non-motorized infrastructure, ……...
The first verifiable claim for a practically used bicycle belongs to German named Baron Karl von Drais. Drais invented his Laufmaschine (German for "running machine") in 1817.

After two hundred years..... if the bicycles was going to generate noticeable monetary change.... it would have likely already have accomplished that. Bikes are a wonderfully elegant, and fantastic invention. But a monetary element of change.... NOT SO MUCH.
Old 06-27-18, 07:13 PM
Mobile 155

So basically what you're saying is that if selling cars and infrastructure generates more monetary transactions than bikes and non-motorized infrastructure, you and others are for that regardless of how good or bad driving might be in the grand scheme of things? That's your final argument? That the environment and quality of life and health and everything else that money can't buy can't be achieved without the growth and jobs ubiquitous driving generates and so you'd rather whitewash the drive-everywhere lifestyle for the economic benefits than admit there could be a better way?
all you are saying about what is better is known by the people choosing. If they choose something other than what you feel is “better” then what you thought was better was rejected.

I can support a system that provides economic security and ease of movement for the most people. I have seen nothing in your counter points that make your less is more economy as family friendly.

Be honest, how many coworkers do you have that are car free? How many would rather not see economic growth and personal comfort? Can so many be wrong?
Old 06-27-18, 07:20 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Wisely thought-out..... but historically inaccurate. Outside the walls of ancient Rome was what citizens called suburbium, meaning what was literally below or outside the walls. Sprawl… pre-dates automobiles.. by hundreds of years. Recent events (of the past century or two) mimic a much older global history. Cars.... just happen to be here.
Cars have come... and they too will also past. Sprawl... we be with us long into the future.
It's always a problem to dissect the issue of sprawl because, you're right, there's nothing about driving that causes sprawl. What driving does do, however, is make longer distances a norm for everything from work commuting to shopping to errands to children's activities. I don't know enough about Rome's suburbia that you mention to know how people got around, but I presume by walking mostly. Maybe children were homeschooled, but surely they walked around freely to get to whatever activities they were doing.

In other words, sprawl would not be such a problem if the various areas of a sprawling region were economically self-contained so people could walk and bike to do everything they needed to do. In fact, this is what I would expect LCF cities to be like if/when the drive-everywhere culture gives way to being able to lead a normal life without driving. But what has happened as a result of driving-dependency in terms of sprawl without sufficient bikeable/walkable options for work, shopping, school, etc. is a problem.

When people say what you are saying here, it only makes lucid discussion more difficult. Yes, there may have been sprawl and suburbs before cars, but why don't you acknowledge that people have become dependent on driving and that land is used inefficiently and overpaved because of the prospect of getting more traffic if people are driving all over the place all the time? The problem is that people are so desperate to defend that culture, which they know is problematic, that they focus on whitewashing it instead of just acknowledging the problems of it and how they could be solved by making LCF an easier choice.

Do you realize that there hasn't been an honest discussion about LCF and sprawl for years because of this desperate defense against change? At what point do the defenders acknowledge the validity of problems and accept that there are ways to work toward greater freedom to get around car-free?
Old 06-27-18, 07:24 PM
tandempower

all you are saying about what is better is known by the people choosing. If they choose something other than what you feel is “better” then what you thought was better was rejected.

I can support a system that provides economic security and ease of movement for the most people. I have seen nothing in your counter points that make your less is more economy as family friendly.

Be honest, how many coworkers do you have that are car free? How many would rather not see economic growth and personal comfort? Can so many be wrong?
Yes, people can be wrong even when they are a majority and I've told you that countless times but you refuse to acknowledge I'm right. I don't believe there is true right and wrong in your mind, only popular opinion and whatever 'truth' money can buy. Likewise, there are so many reasons LCF is better that you just ignore and insist that it all comes down to how someone 'feels.' If they feel cars and automotive culture are ok and fine for the environment, then there's nothing wrong with going on building all these wide roads and highways and parking lots, etc. etc. that make it so difficult to choose to get around without a car. There's no reasoning with you because you are dead-set on defending the car culture against questioning.
Old 06-27-18, 07:25 PM
Mobile 155

Conspiracy... What IS a conspiracy..??? Literary translations do NOT NEED to be really applied, to "become a conspiracy" in ... "result"... as... In lets say 10 business owners decide... ON their own violation, to do a certain thing at the same time, BUT the re-result can be the "same"... Forcing a sector of the economy, to behave the way they think it should behave... a thin line, once crossed can be a MAJOR problem, thus there "are" laws to "try" and control that...
that is what courts are for. Still there is nothing stopping anyone from spending money to advertise an alternative. So it is up to the ones complaining to prove a monopoly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.