Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping Questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camping Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
That's why they put TVs in every motel room.
That's usually when I get in trouble. I stay up until the wee hours of the morning watching some stupid movie.

Originally Posted by Noonievut
I’m the past few years I’ve done some multi-day rides from my house, and stayed at B&B’s and motels. I can afford the $100 or so for the infrequent times I do such rides. However, I’m drawn to the idea of bringing tent/bag/pad on these trips for a few reasons: new gear to obsess over ;-), I like the outdoors, and I like the idea of perhaps having more options at night for where to sleep...which is handy when other accommodations are unavailable (like when I decide on one of these rides last minute). I’m planning to do more of these rides in the future, so the investment may be worth it.

I haven’t camped for years, have never camped alone, have never stealth camped, and I’ve never carried that additional weight on my bike (I have a 15L seatbag that holds spare clothes and toiletries with room to spare).

Questions:
- after a day of riding (alone), when you arrive at your camp and set up, what do you do? I can read,
listen to a podcast, but I sense I may get bored. And those small tents don’t look comfortable to hang out in. And if outside is a mosquito frenzy I fear I’ll be frustrated. Keep in mind I’m riding within hours from home (Ontario Canada), and as such it’s nit like touring new and exciting cities
- regarding strealth camping, if my only option, I assume it’s best to pitch the tent on public / crown lands, avoiding trespassing on private property? I’m thinking forests not far from roads or rail trails, back corners of parks in rural towns...I’m sure I’m missing lots of options
- I’m using my cross bike and don’t want to add racks and panniers; with the 15L I already have, what additional bags would I need for the camping gear? I realize there are lots of options, and I’ve watched plenty of videos, but haven’t watched one that makes me think ‘that’s for me’
- I’m riding in areas with restaurants and such, so will not be cooking, however, I figure I’ll need extra snacks at night and mornings. Question is safety in storing these snacks (no bears where I will be riding, but there are raccoons and coyotes, mice, etc.), any issues with storing the food in the tent with me?

Pretty long note already so I’ll stop there. Thanks!
I've said it above but it bears repeating: Do not take food into your tent! No matter where you camp or where you live, food should never be in a tent. It invites unwelcome guests. Racoons, rats, mice, etc are nuisances but they can damage your equipment. Larger animals may look upon you as just part of the menu. And don't think that just because you haven't used equipment for a while after storing food in it that it is free of odors. Food odors can be detected by animals at much lower concentrations then our rather useless noses can detect.

As for what to do in camp, I usually go to bed when the sun goes down. As a bicyclist, you don't carry as much stuff. Carrying lights that can be useful after dark is mostly limited to headlamps which will only last a couple of hours with batteries. A little bit of reading is all I ever do in my tent. When I've read the same sentence 5 or 6 times, I know it's just time to turn out the light.

One of the things I have noticed on long tours (longer than a few days) is that I fall into a rhythm that is more natural than our industrialized world uses. I sleep deeply for a few hours, then doze for several hours around midnight, then I sleep soundly from around 3 a.m. to dawn. From what I've read, that's how we used to sleep. I sometimes miss that when I get back to 'civilization'.

I don't start fires in camps. I don't carry anything to chop wood and forests are usually primed for fires all summer so it's just not worth the effort or risk. I'd have to put out the fire before I went to bed and that's just not worth the effort either.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-11-18, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
When I've read the same sentence 5 or 6 times, I know it's just time to turn out the light.
Been there, done that.

I usually read a good deal so I finally broke down and got a Kindle. Got tired of having to charge headlamp batteries frequently.
Old 07-11-18, 09:37 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
CC -

I have hiked and solo camped from Denali down to the Sangres - often deep into designated wilderness.
Just because I say that raccoons can get to food in a tent does NOT mean that I do it.

1. I never have food in my tent - anywhere or anywhere near.
2. I practice rigorous bear country cooking, eating & storage principles.
3. I tell people who eat in their tent not to do so if they plan on touring in Wyoming.
The food smell stays in the tent even if it's been 500 miles since you last ate in the tent.

I have had grizzlies circle my tent in the middle of the night multiple times in Wyo, Montana & Canada.
Trust me, you know it's a grizzly snorting - and it does tent to keep you awake until you hear them leave.

(The last time I had food in my tent was in 1979 in Morro Bay - when raccoons ripped the tent open.)

PS - Us folks up here in Wyoming consider Colorado to be a giant theme park. Just sayin'.
Old 07-11-18, 11:23 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
- after a day of riding (alone), when you arrive at your camp and set up, what do you do? I can read,
listen to a podcast, but I sense I may get bored. And those small tents don’t look comfortable to hang out in. And if outside is a mosquito frenzy I fear I’ll be frustrated. Keep in mind I’m riding within hours from home (Ontario Canada), and as such it’s nit like touring new and exciting cities
Being trapped in the tent can be frustrating. Especially for me, since I sleep in a hammock. But generally I carry bug repellent, and I don't have an issue. If I'm camping in/near a town, I often set up camp and then go in to town for a little. If I know I'm going to have time to kill, I sometimes plan on cooking dinner. Otherwise I might eat before getting to camp or plan to eat something that doesn't need cooking. Sometimes I read, sort through the day's photos, communicate with the outside world, look at tomorrow's route. I also carry a tablet computer, and I usually have some entertainment downloaded. I can hook it to the ridgeline of my hammock and watch a movie. But the reality is that a lot of times I just take my time riding throughout the day. By the time I'm at camp, and my tent is set up, I'm ready to sleep.

strealth camping, if my only option, I assume it’s best to pitch the tent on public / crown lands, avoiding trespassing on private property? I’m thinking forests not far from roads or rail trails, back corners of parks in rural towns...I’m sure I’m missing lots of options
Check your local laws. If staying in parks, I'd ask local law enforcement.

- I’m using my cross bike and don’t want to add racks and panniers; with the 15L I already have, what additional bags would I need for the camping gear? I realize there are lots of options, and I’ve watched plenty of videos, but haven’t watched one that makes me think ‘that’s for me’
I don't know you, so if you haven't seen the "that's for me" bag combo yet, I'm unlikely to know what it is. I find racks and panniers to be very useful, and really find it hard to imagine owning a bike without a rack, but there are rackless options. Look up "bikepacking"

- I’m riding in areas with restaurants and such, so will not be cooking, however, I figure I’ll need extra snacks at night and mornings. Question is safety in storing these snacks (no bears where I will be riding, but there are raccoons and coyotes, mice, etc.), any issues with storing the food in the tent with me?
I have brought food into the tent with me, but I agree that it's generally a bad idea. Hanging your food, when possible, is best. Slept in a state park this spring, lying in my hammock eating banana chips. I had a small cooler that I put right next to my hammock, thinking no animal would want to come that close. Woke in the middle of the night to the feeling of an animal going underneath my hammock and bumping the bottom. Turning on my flashlight scared them off for a minute or two, but shortly I heard the sound of my cooler being dragged away, and I had to retrieve it before the raccoon hauled it into the weeds. In the morning there was a tear in my bug netting right where I had stashed my food. So, yeah, don't bring the food inside.
Old 07-11-18, 05:25 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
...PS - Us folks up here in Wyoming consider Colorado to be a giant theme park. Just sayin'.
I just spent a few days last week in Summit County, CO and I totally agree.
Old 07-16-18, 03:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
CC -

I have hiked and solo camped from Denali down to the Sangres - often deep into designated wilderness.
Just because I say that raccoons can get to food in a tent does NOT mean that I do it.
We can't read your mind. Say what you mean and don't leave us to fill in the details.

PS - Us folks up here in Wyoming consider Colorado to be a giant theme park. Just sayin'.
And we here in Colorado consider Wyoming to be several things
  1. The place where Wyoming kids come from when they want to sample civilization
  2. The place where we can get fire works
  3. A no man's land for when the Canadians invade.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-17-18, 06:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
And we here in Colorado consider Wyoming to be several things
  1. The place where Wyoming kids come from when they want to sample civilization
True. A few years ago I read an article in the NYT about a program in Laramie that offered to pay people to move back to town and helped them find jobs. The major reason behind the program was the loss of young people to CO.
Old 07-22-18, 07:10 PM
loistouring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually keep riding until very late, like 1-2am, and I set up wild camping when I find a nice hidden spot. Once I set up tent I just go to sleep, without reading or doing anything. I like to enjoy the day for any activities. I done a 70 day tour around Spain.
Old 07-23-18, 05:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I tour a lot in Northern Ontario, Canada. I use a three person dome tent even though it's a bit heavier than a smaller lightweight tent. The reasons I use such a tent are many but the two big ones are: 1. I can sit upright inside in inclement weather or if the black flies and mosquitoes are thick. 2. I can bring my bicycle into the tent if needed/wanted too. I do that in crowded campgrounds. Nothing worse than waking up to discover that your bicycle is AWOL.

Cheers
Old 07-24-18, 09:28 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I tour a lot in Northern Ontario, Canada. I use a three person dome tent even though it's a bit heavier than a smaller lightweight tent. The reasons I use such a tent are many but the two big ones are: 1. I can sit upright inside in inclement weather or if the black flies and mosquitoes are thick. 2. I can bring my bicycle into the tent if needed/wanted too. I do that in crowded campgrounds. Nothing worse than waking up to discover that your bicycle is AWOL.

Cheers
I share similar requirements, and now a couple more - interior needs to be easily convertible from the inside between a bath-tub-floored double-wall, and single-wall floorless, so I can set-up a camp chair, extra large cooking area, and dig a latrine while inside. However, didn't need to forefeit a ~1.5lbs/2.5L pack weight/size (clicky).
Old 07-28-18, 02:06 PM
Ritchie Logic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I so much prefer campgrounds over stealth camping if that's an option. There's just something about being off-road somewhere in an unfamiliar place that makes
me very uneasy.
Old 07-29-18, 06:24 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I don't start fires in camps. I don't carry anything to chop wood and forests are usually primed for fires all summer so it's just not worth the effort or risk. I'd have to put out the fire before I went to bed and that's just not worth the effort either.
This is a good point, Stu.

I don't think its right to even THINK of starting a campfire if you are stealth camping. So many things can and will go wrong on so many levels. If you are having a campfire on private property - we wont get into those ramifications - well, that's wrong. If you are on public land even, well, its really not STEALTH CAMPING if you've built a campfire, is it? The whole idea of being stealthy is so that someone could pass you by and not noticed your encampment. A fire, although they are fabulous for the spirit, is like a shining beacon for anything/anyone in the night. Anyone will be able to see where you've been. Not good. Best to leave the campsite like you found it.
Old 08-02-18, 11:33 AM
Dokterrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans

I share similar requirements, and now a couple more - interior needs to be easily convertible from the inside between a bath-tub-floored double-wall, and single-wall floorless, so I can set-up a camp chair, extra large cooking area, and dig a latrine while inside. However, didn't need to forefeit a ~1.5lbs/2.5L pack weight/size.
Don't leave us in suspense, what tent is that!?!?
Old 08-10-18, 08:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Yeah, what tent are you using?
Old 08-10-18, 11:13 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
SixMoonDesigns Gatewood Cape, Serenity NetTent, Tyvek or Polycryo footprint, 6 Vargo Ti stakes, and usually a fallen branch for a pole. Not recommended for >6' tall. (Tip: keep inner tent collapsed except for sleeping, fly w/ open peak vent alone is 90+% flying bug proof.)

Last edited by reppans; 08-11-18 at 06:49 AM.