Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help finding a bike after surgery

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-02-18, 08:25 PM
feldy0084

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello to All- Not sure if this is the right place to post since it’s my first time here. But, I am looking for some advice and guidance.

I am recovering from a really lousy year where I had hip arthroscopy with a labral repair, ankle micro fracture surgery, and broke my pelvis in 2 places. The only exercise that doesn’t really bother me much is biking. I have been really depressed with everything and started looking at a lot of bike touring videos. It is really motivating to me. I am a former D1 athlete and am used to being on the move. I don’t have much experience or knowledge with bikes (have done a ton of commuter biking on cheap bikes and some basic single track MTB, but nothing else) but would love to learn. I am not sure if i will ever fully recover, but setting the goal of doing a bike tour in the future is keeping me positive in my rehab. I would like to spend 1500$ or less and find a bike that does well on mainly roads, but is versatile to do some other things like easy gravel, etc. I live in Minneapolis which is a very bike friendly place, so there are many places to find bikes here. It would be a dream to do some bike trips in Minnesota in the future and have a bike that could take me across the country. Someone at the local shop recommended the All-City Space Horse/Macho Man, Surly Straggler/Long Haul Trucker, and the Salsa Marrakesh/Journeyman. I am not sure if these are “good” choices?? Since I am inexperienced, if buying a used or slightly less expensive bike may suit me better, I am all ears. If anyone could recommend something or tell me if the above options are “good,” that would be much appreciated. In the meantime, I am going to try and take some maintenance classes and learn some more about bikes. FYI- I am a 36yr old male, weigh 150lbs, am a shade over 5’9, and built a bit like a distance runner. Any help would be appreciate and thanks so much for reading this!
Old 08-03-18, 07:41 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
And this has to do with touring because???

Why don't you speak to a sports medicine doctor for advice rather than ask a bunch of anonymous people that have no knowledge of you actual situation.
Old 08-03-18, 09:06 AM
feldy0084

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker

Why don't you speak to a sports medicine doctor for advice rather than ask a bunch of anonymous people that have no knowledge of you actual situation.
My ultimate goal is to do a bike tour in my state. I work daily with a sports med staff that advocates biking in the rehab process and thinks long term term that a bike tour could be in the cards. I don’t have much knowledge about touring bikes and was hoping to gain some so I could eventually plan an actual long-distance bike tour. Was hoping for some friendly advice from experienced people, but I guess that’s not possible??
Old 08-03-18, 09:24 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Because he (she?) finds the idea of bike touring inspirational. But that would require you to have actually read the thread, and to display a milligram of compassion, instead of trying to police the sub-forum to make sure only certified bike tourists post in it.

How about "welcome to bike forums" in answer to someone's first post?
Old 08-03-18, 09:29 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by wgscott
Because he (she?) finds the idea of bike touring inspirational. But that would require you to have actually read the thread, and to display a milligram of compassion, instead of trying to police the sub-forum to make sure only certified bike tourists post in it.

How about "welcome to bike forums" in answer to someone's first post?
" I am a 36yr old male, weigh 150lbs, am a shade over 5’9,"
Old 08-03-18, 09:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I do all those things you mention on my LHT. Even hilly/mountainous/rough, unpaved roads.
Old 08-03-18, 09:31 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The OP's question seems like a legitimate post about touring bikes.

​​​​​​I recommend that you do a search on this forum for the bikes you mentioned. I'd try to give you my opinion, but I only have net access through my phone, which is too cumbersome for me. If this thread is still active next week when I get home, I'll give you my opinion. However, all oponions, including mine, should be taken with a grain of salt

P.S. I also have a LHT, and it will do everything indyfabz said it can do. My daughter is about to finish a seven week tour on her LHT.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Doug64; 08-03-18 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 09:36 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by feldy0084

My ultimate goal is to do a bike tour in my state. I work daily with a sports med staff that advocates biking in the rehab process and thinks long term term that a bike tour could be in the cards. I don’t have much knowledge about touring bikes and was hoping to gain some so I could eventually plan an actual long-distance bike tour. Was hoping for some friendly advice from experienced people, but I guess that’s not possible??

No one here can access you situation as to what bike to ride.. Or even if you should be riding at all. Or when you will be able to ride or what you will be able to ride. Or how long you should wait to perhaps buy a bike that might not suit you now but will in the future. Doubtful you would want to by a bike that suits you right now, only to have to upgrade in the next few months. Example they might suggest a recumbent now but with more rehab you might not want one in a few months. A shame to spend money on something you don't really need or want.

Only a doctor can tell you that. Not taking medical advice from someone on the internet IS the best friendly advice.

The people you are working with should be able to give the BEST advice for what suits you.

Last edited by spinnaker; 08-03-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 09:39 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

" I am a 36yr old male, "
Sorry.

But still, it reminds me a lot of the hostile reception I got in this subforum (and the apparent requirement that I prove my legitimacy, even though my first bike tour was in 1981).

As for the OP and bike advice, I suggest putting the highest priorities on fit and gearing. An ill-fitting bike could impede recovery, and suitably low gearing (which is the norm on touring bikes) will really help with recovering from joint injuries. Anything you can mount a rack or bags on can be a touring bike, but one specifically designed for this is likely to be the most comfortable, and allows for lower gearing, wide tires, typically good brakes (I am partial to hydraulic discs).
Old 08-03-18, 09:53 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by wgscott
Sorry.

But still, it reminds me a lot of the hostile reception I got in this subforum (and the apparent requirement that I prove my legitimacy, even though my first bike tour was in 1981).

As for the OP and bike advice, I suggest putting the highest priorities on fit and gearing. An ill-fitting bike could impede recovery, and suitably low gearing (which is the norm on touring bikes) will really help with recovering from joint injuries. Anything you can mount a rack or bags on can be a touring bike, but one specifically designed for this is likely to be the most comfortable, and allows for lower gearing, wide tires, typically good brakes (I am partial to hydraulic discs).
Again someone in sports medicine will be able to do a proper fit. Someone with experience fitting bicycles of course. UPMC here in Pittsburgh has doctors that do just that. For the OP probably much better than going to a bike shop for a fitting. a doctor will have access to all of the available medical information. A proper fit goes far beyond adjusting the saddle and handlebars. Various components may be swapped out or added based on physical differences in the riders body.. For someone coming off an accident this is especially important. And the fit might even change as rehab progresses.

In summary please see a doctor.
Old 08-03-18, 10:03 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I think you are absolutely right about the medical advice. I just think we need to be a bit more welcoming, especially given it was his first post and reports depression.

There is, however, the remote possibility he posted to bike forums for bicycle advice, not medical advice.

(Chances are, with multiple surgeries etc, he has seen plenty of doctors, fwiw. I never found a doctor -- apart from my former touring partner -- who had any particular knowledge or interest in bicycling, and even the PT who supposedly specialized in this sort of thing wasn't very knowledgable. Back when I was in medical school, there was nothing of relevance in the curriculum. From what I have seen, a doctor will be able to tell him whether or not it is safe to resume normal activities, but isn't going to provide deep insight in most cases.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-03-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 10:10 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
you dinna say what type of touring you plan to do. makes a yuuuge difference in the amount of gear you carry.

assuming you want to start off easy: credit card touring, staying in hotels, carrying minimal baggage, then just about any bike will do.

don't need a touring-specific bike. get a bike that fits, comfortable for longish rides, with suitable gearing for the terrain. when you want to carry more stuff that the bike has racks/mounts for, try a trailer, possibly an extrawheel.
Old 08-03-18, 10:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by saddlesores
you dinna say what type of touring you plan to do. makes a yuuuge difference in the amount of gear you carry.

assuming you want to start off easy: credit card touring, staying in hotels, carrying minimal baggage, then just about any bike will do.

don't need a touring-specific bike. get a bike that fits, comfortable for longish rides, with suitable gearing for the terrain. when you want to carry more stuff that the bike has racks/mounts for, try a trailer, possibly an extrawheel.
^^^This^^^ I wash rushing off to lunch with the hope of missing the rain (I didn't) and was remiss in not addressing the above. Something like an LHT would be "overkill" if "credit card" touring. From Surly, a Cross Check or Straggler would do. I will also add that REI has some offerings.
Old 08-03-18, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

I don't see anyone asking for medical advice. I see someone who wrote "I got medical advice and here is how I am thinking about acting on that advice. Can you suggest some bikes that might help me carry out my plan?"
Old 08-03-18, 10:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
You might never get to the point where you are ready to do a bike tour. But, if you think biking would be good for your rehabilitation, maybe consider getting something like a gravel bike or a randonneuring bike now for your rehab. Then that kind of bike would also function well for credit card touring. If you are unfamiliar with the term credit card touring, it is basically touring where you are always staying indoors (motels, B&B, etc.) and eating at restaurants. Then if that works out well for you, at that time you could get a touring bike that has the capability of hauling your camping gear too.
Old 08-03-18, 10:38 AM
feldy0084

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the responses and opinions. I totally understand the complexity of the initial question as well and how it may be hard to give a "blanket" answer based on my situation. Just to clarify- I am not looking to rush into buying anything, but am simply looking to gather information from people with experience. I am also not asking for medical advice, as I have plenty of that I understand that working in conjunction with medical professionals is the safest and most secure thing to do. As I move forward and progress into more activity with less restriction, I am always conscious about asking them what is best for my particular situation. The situation that one poster has in Pittsburgh sounds very cool, but I don't know any physios or docs here who offer a similar service...something to ask around about though.

I just figured someone could make general recommendations to the extent of-- "no, those bikes are designed for X and it sounds like you want to do Y" or "yeah, those are all great options, but for your experience level, there are cheaper options which could be just as functional and comfortable." As an analogy--I am a tennis coach and if you told me you were in the market for a racquet, had some elbow issues, and gave me some basic info about yourself, I could give you GENERAL suggestions for a grouping of frames that may suit your needs and not kill your wallet. For example, there might be 5 frames from 5 different manufacturers that are relatively similar in build and quality and would help accomplish your goals. Bikes seem to be much more complex, but I guess that was the idea of the question!!

As far the last poster asking about touring goals, I would like to bike from Minneapolis to Duluth (approx 150mi) when able to do so. I am currently riding in the city daily, but just bike around town "as tolerated."

Truly appreciate everyone's input! Just trying to learn and gather info!
Old 08-03-18, 10:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Any of those would be good choices, with the caveat of "so long as they fit you and are comfortable". I know where a Space Horse and a LHT is regularly locked up as a commuter around me too, if you are looking for a dual role bike tehy apparently fit that well. If/when you are healthy enough, get on a couple and test them out, I'm guessing one will "speak" to you!

Again someone in sports medicine will be able to do a proper fit. Someone with experience fitting bicycles of course. UPMC here in Pittsburgh has doctors that do just that. For the OP probably much better than going to a bike shop for a fitting. a doctor will have access to all of the available medical information. A proper fit goes far beyond adjusting the saddle and handlebars. Various components may be swapped out or added based on physical differences in the riders body.. For someone coming off an accident this is especially important. And the fit might even change as rehab progresses.

In summary please see a doctor.

My doctors know as much about cycling as you do about the innards of a gnat (and now, I'm REALLY hoping you aren't an entymologist ). I'm not going to a doctor for anything besides a determination on when I am healthy enough to exercise.

He is not asking about medical advice, he is asking about bike advice. Your point to see a good fitter is relevant, but you're not finding that at most doctor's office.
Old 08-03-18, 11:22 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Since you are just getting into cycling, I’d suggest picking up a used bike on Craigslist or at a local bike coop and ride around your area. See how your body responds and whether you really want to go bike touring. It’s likely you could find a bike that would work as a decent touring bike, or at least you’ll know more about what you want when the time comes. Good luck, and if you find something on CL, feel free to run it by us before buying. Lots of friendly folks here who are more than glad to help.
Old 08-03-18, 11:22 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't see anyone asking for medical advice. I see someone who wrote "I got medical advice and here is how I am thinking about acting on that advice. Can you suggest some bikes that might help me carry out my plan?"
Under normal circumstance, no it isn't asking for medical advice . Asking what types of bike I can ride after a major surgery is medical advice. Who knows if a certain bike / configuration is going to do more damage or not? No one can answer that except a trained sports therapist or doctor.

This is the same as the question of how many miles should I ride when I am starting out and I am not physically active. Any advice on that is irresponsible without the person first getting clearance from a doctor.
Old 08-03-18, 11:31 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I appreciate the responses and opinions. I totally understand the complexity of the initial question as well and how it may be hard to give a "blanket" answer based on my situation. Just to clarify- I am not looking to rush into buying anything, but am simply looking to gather information from people with experience. I am also not asking for medical advice, as I have plenty of that I understand that working in conjunction with medical professionals is the safest and most secure thing to do. As I move forward and progress into more activity with less restriction, I am always conscious about asking them what is best for my particular situation. The situation that one poster has in Pittsburgh sounds very cool, but I don't know any physios or docs here who offer a similar service...something to ask around about though.

I just figured someone could make general recommendations to the extent of-- "no, those bikes are designed for X and it sounds like you want to do Y" or "yeah, those are all great options, but for your experience level, there are cheaper options which could be just as functional and comfortable." As an analogy--I am a tennis coach and if you told me you were in the market for a racquet, had some elbow issues, and gave me some basic info about yourself, I could give you GENERAL suggestions for a grouping of frames that may suit your needs and not kill your wallet. For example, there might be 5 frames from 5 different manufacturers that are relatively similar in build and quality and would help accomplish your goals. Bikes seem to be much more complex, but I guess that was the idea of the question!!

As far the last poster asking about touring goals, I would like to bike from Minneapolis to Duluth (approx 150mi) when able to do so. I am currently riding in the city daily, but just bike around town "as tolerated."

Truly appreciate everyone's input! Just trying to learn and gather info!

If you are just starting to get back then look at a recumbent or even a trike. It is likely going to be the least impact.

But since you are riding daily why not just use the bike you are using daily? Then again while it might be comfortable and best for you for your day ride, it might not give you the the same comfort for all day, day after day like you will have on a tour.

Maybe just give your current bike a try an over nighter somewhere? Than after that a weekend, Start off small and build.
Old 08-03-18, 12:16 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If your current bike can be used around town, is there anything that precludes using it to ride 150 miles? If so, what? Sounds like you have a bike and need to add a small bag to carry clothes and a tool or two. Maybe new tires? Not really giving us much to go on.
Old 08-03-18, 01:17 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Hello to All...
Start riding with whatever bike you have now, gradually increasing frequency and mileage. If you are making progress a few thousand miles later, then think about a new bike. Considering your health issues, you may want to put carbon fiber or titanium bikes on your wishlist, as they usually give a less harsh ride over surface irregularities than steel or aluminum framed bikes. Larger volume tires help smooth the ride too. Good luck.
Old 08-03-18, 01:58 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I do not know if the hip surgery has put any limitation on your bike mounting ability. One thing to consider is if you get into loaded bike touring, it is common to end up with stuff piled (in some cases quite high) on the rear rack. I think that it would be helpful to establish what standover height will enable you to put your foot over the top tube, as apposed to swinging your leg over the back of the bike. I suggest a frame in the smaller size range, where you have 10" of seat and post sticking out of the frame!
Old 08-03-18, 02:32 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
All the bikes you mentioned have good reputations. I owned a space horse and it was a really nice bike. I only sold it to buy a Bob jackson.
Old 08-03-18, 02:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
as Im older , the step thru benefits of folding bikes , have merit.

Bike Fridays NWT , is a great touring bike already in use around the globe

and they come apart and fold to go in a suitcase to lower domestic baggage charges..
(which you will see, when time comes to get home without riding round trip)..

get them with whatever groupset you want.. in a size made for you..

regular touring big wheel bikes near me is a trek dealer, with a QBP account

so Treks 520, 920 or any Salsa or Surly bikes can be available..

IDK what brands your LBS carries until you tell me..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-18 at 02:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.