Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Care Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 08:55 AM
Dominic P.
Crank'd

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Olympic 12, 2011 Specialized Hardrock 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike Care Ideas

I have a 1982 Nishiki Olympic 12 that I recently bought. I have cleaned it using “Megulars Wax,” Normal car soap, bike oil/lube, and “Turtle wax” spray on wax as well as 2 in 1 chrome polish and surface rust remover. Are there any other care supplies that would be helpful to have, or is this all I should need. Thanks!
Old 03-10-19, 09:08 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
After washing ride your bike as fast as you can to wind dry?

Old 03-10-19, 09:27 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Meguiar's Last Touch Spray Detailer for a quick clean of the bike after every ride.
Old 03-10-19, 09:36 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Old toothbrushes and old socks are good to keep around for bike maintenance. To be honest, I don't have a regular cleaning regimen for my bikes, but I keep things clean enough that muck and grease don't get onto my clothes. I do a deeper spring cleaning on the bike that gets road salt on it.
Old 03-11-19, 01:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw - was recently introduced to 0000 steel wool, used with some kind of lube, for rust removal
Old 03-11-19, 03:19 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Meguiar's polish.
Old 03-11-19, 03:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I use furniture polish in a spray can as a general purpose cleaner.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-22-19, 12:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
swapped some tires last night. gave me a chance to do some light cleaning. used a cpl bike specific brushes plus a soft brass brush to mechanically clean (no solvents) the rear casette

Old 03-22-19, 12:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Drying? Leaf blower. Works the trick. Can wash a bike and immediately lube/ride without waiting for it to dry. Particularly a gasser leaf blower.

Also, I'm about to own up to it and buy some spare chains and cassettes and start waxing and ultrasonic clean instead. Always have two, one on bike and one ready to go. And a little jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for the chains.

The Park Tool chain cleaner works fine, just that the other method seems optimal and more of a "work smart not hard" methodology.

We'll see.
Old 03-24-19, 05:12 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Keep it indoors when you aren't riding it, and don't live near the beach. I had an old Nishiki Olympic of around the same year as yours, I wish I still had it.
Old 03-25-19, 09:39 PM
zackzhrd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recommend a car wash for your bike as it usually has harsh chemicals that may damage your drive chain, brakes, and smaller parts. Car wash is designed for the car's exterior body, not under the hood but on the bike, all the parts are in the open. Car wash also has extra wax, which is pretty bad for the bike too. Try a bike-specific wash (I use WPL's bio bike wash wplbike.com/products/bio-bike-wash) if you can that's safe for the bike and all the parts.
Old 03-26-19, 05:58 PM
JackTheBikeGuy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely have to do this manually, wouldn't recommend a car wash.
Old 03-28-19, 06:18 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
damn it. Ok look man, you NEVER use a cleaning polish or wax, or any wax with abrasive additives that promise to remove swirls or fine scratches or oxidation etc. Bicycle paint is NOT car paint, it's nowhere near as thick and as durable and those type of cleaners and waxes will strip the paint and decals off the bike over prolonged use of said products, so STOP USING that crap now! find a non abrasive liquid wax, which is all I use even on my cars!

Another BS mantra that I hear over and over is use furniture polish, ok, when is the last time you took your coffee table for a ride in the weather outside? Yeah, that's what I thought, NEVER! furniture polish is not protection for painted surfaces for use outdoors in the elements, it was never intended for that use and should not be used for that purpose.

Also never use any wash soap that uses citrus, this can damage aluminium parts and dull paint. Some car washes are a bit rough but if you use a gentle car wash like Meguiars Gold Class Car wash Shampoo and conditioner is fine as is Dawn for Dishes (non citrus version) which will remove grease and is great for chain cleaning, The Gold Class car wash so gentle it won't even remove the previous wax job! so if you have a really dirty bike then use the Dawn of Dishes (non citrus version) After washing use a non abrasive, there's those words again, wax like Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. Bike specific waxes and wash is all marketing BS, they simply use the same formulas that cars use and then charge you more for it because it's somehow better for a bike and rich people ride bikes so you can afford to pay more for the same thing.
Old 03-29-19, 02:27 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Clay bar?
Old 03-29-19, 05:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Clay bar?
Even clay bars are used in error. The professional car detailers will tell you that the clay bar is to be used with little force and not in a circular motion.
Old 03-29-19, 06:38 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For PAINTED surface: Use baby shampoo as it does not leave a film. 1 oz. per 5 gal. bucket of water. Add ½ cup of food grade distilled white vinegar. It boosts the cleaning ability of the cleaner so you don’t need as much cleaner. Vinegar neutralizes the alkali in water bringing the water to a neutral PH balance to help prevent water spots. NEVER use a brush or microfiber rag/towel as it is made from 80% polyester or plastic. Plastic scratches leaving fine scratches on the finish. Brushes scratch the finish. Likewise never use the fake chamois as they are 100% polyester. Even pure leather chamois strip the wax off a finish. Use 100% terry towels or better yet a lambswool pad to wash the painted surfaces for best results. Do not ever reuse a towel if it has been dropped. Never use wash and wax products or heavy degreasing agents like liquid dish soaps.They are difficult to rinse off the finish. They stick to the finish and cause it to become sticky, which deteriorates the finish.
Old 03-29-19, 08:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by zackzhrd
I don't recommend a car wash for your bike as it usually has harsh chemicals that may damage your drive chain, brakes, and smaller parts. Car wash is designed for the car's exterior body, not under the hood but on the bike, all the parts are in the open. Car wash also has extra wax, which is pretty bad for the bike too. Try a bike-specific wash (I use WPL's bio bike wash wplbike.com/products/bio-bike-wash) if you can that's safe for the bike and all the parts.
That’s overstating it a bit. It’s not like you are going to put a bicycle through an entire cycle of prewash, bug remover, wash, wax, prerinse, rinse, and all the other things that car washes do. For the most part, a wash and rinse are all that you should need. The detergent may remove a bit of lubricant from the chain but any wash job is probably going to do the same. You’ll need to relubricate after washing the bike anyway so it’s really no different. Even if you did use the wax cycle, I fail to see why it would be bad in any way for a bicycle.

A car wash is easy and effective. It won’t do anything to the bike that is harmful. GCN has also shown that water infiltration due to the pressure isn’t a problem with modern seals as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-19, 09:06 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Clay bar?
NO, while clay bars are less abrasive then some waxes they still are abrasive. Even with cars it used to much will dull the paint, with bicycle paint that dullness issue will happen a lot sooner due to the thinness of the paint, plus you tear up your decals in short order.
Old 03-30-19, 09:16 AM
greatscott

Originally Posted by cyccommute

That’s overstating it a bit. It’s not like you are going to put a bicycle through an entire cycle of prewash, bug remover, wash, wax, prerinse, rinse, and all the other things that car washes do. For the most part, a wash and rinse are all that you should need. The detergent may remove a bit of lubricant from the chain but any wash job is probably going to do the same. You’ll need to relubricate after washing the bike anyway so it’s really no different. Even if you did use the wax cycle, I fail to see why it would be bad in any way for a bicycle.

A car wash is easy and effective. It won’t do anything to the bike that is harmful. GCN has also shown that water infiltration due to the pressure isn’t a problem with modern seals as well.
Depends on what you use to wash your bike with, the same is true with cars too, it's highly recommended not to use dishwashing soap (high citrus content will damage stuff over time, plus it has abrasives), glass cleaner, some people recommend against using Dawn for Dishes, but that's because they're really talking about the citrus version which is what most people buy. You can use 3 parts vinegar with 1 part water if you want a more natural alternative and it works well but it won't cut grease off a chain as well as Dawn for Dishes (non citrus) does. If you have a really dirty bike, you do the vinegar mixture as mentioned and add a couple of squirts of Dawn for Dishes (without citrus, yeah I know I keep saying that because of the importance of mentioning it), mix it all up real well and go to work. I would not recommend using either vinegar and or Dawn for leather bicycle seats, non leather seats it's fine but not for leather, for leather you can use 1 part Woolite with 10 parts water, Woolite will clean and condition the leather in one step! Don't get the seat soaking wet, just damp enough to clean, then wipe dry. I also found that 401 works great at cleaning natural cork handlebar tape, and manmade materials used on most saddles.
Old 03-30-19, 05:21 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by greatscott
Depends on what you use to wash your bike with, the same is true with cars too, it's highly recommended not to use dishwashing soap (high citrus content will damage stuff over time, plus it has abrasives), glass cleaner, some people recommend against using Dawn for Dishes, but that's because they're really talking about the citrus version which is what most people buy. You can use 3 parts vinegar with 1 part water if you want a more natural alternative and it works well but it won't cut grease off a chain as well as Dawn for Dishes (non citrus) does. If you have a really dirty bike, you do the vinegar mixture as mentioned and add a couple of squirts of Dawn for Dishes (without citrus, yeah I know I keep saying that because of the importance of mentioning it), mix it all up real well and go to work. I would not recommend using either vinegar and or Dawn for leather bicycle seats, non leather seats it's fine but not for leather, for leather you can use 1 part Woolite with 10 parts water, Woolite will clean and condition the leather in one step! Don't get the seat soaking wet, just damp enough to clean, then wipe dry. I also found that 401 works great at cleaning natural cork handlebar tape, and manmade materials used on most saddles.
Sorry but I’m not a believer in the magic of vinegar. If “citrus” is bad for paint...I’m not saying that it is...vinegar isn’t going to be different. It’s an organic acid as well. Acids are polar and won’t do anything to cut nonpolar oils. Adding more water to vinegar isn’t going to make it work better. It’s already 95% water so adding more water make it 98% water.

Dishwashing liquid (of any kind) will do a better job because it is a surfactant designed to do the job of dissolving grease. It won’t do as good a job as a nonpolar solvent like mineral spirits but it will do a whole lot better than diluted vinegar.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-30-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 10:05 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Sorry but I’m not a believer in the magic of vinegar. If “citrus” is bad for paint...I’m not saying that it is...vinegar isn’t going to be different. It’s an organic acid as well. Acids are polar and won’t do anything to cut nonpolar oils. Adding more water to vinegar isn’t going to make it work better. It’s already 95% water so adding more water make it 98% water.

Dishwashing liquid (of any kind) will do a better job because it is a surfactant designed to do the job of dissolving grease. It won’t do as good a job as a nonpolar solvent like mineral spirits but it will do a whole lot better than diluted vinegar.
Fine, use whatever you like.
Old 03-30-19, 10:39 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by greatscott
Fine, use whatever you like.
I don’t “use whatever I like”. I use chemistry. And I don’t waste my time on chemistry that doesn’t work.

Old 03-30-19, 11:32 PM
Wattsup

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Ride it like you stole it. Wash it a couple of times a year with Dawn dishwashing soap... Thanksgiving, Easter, and Independence Day (or equivalents.)
Old 03-31-19, 12:58 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I use furniture polish in a spray can as a general purpose cleaner.
So do I. After cleaning I spray it with Lemon Pledge and polish it with a rag. It smells nice and lemony
Old 03-31-19, 01:18 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Spray-on silicone tyre/bumper shine is cheap as chips in supermarkets. I use it on my car's polished alloy wheels, as it makes a great barrier against salt, dirt, moisture etc. It needs to be used thinly and wiped off, especially on chrome/paint, but it's easier to use than beeswax polishes on this sort of thing imo.

It's Trump card is that it makes cleaning easy - brake dust etc just wipes straight off it. It's like slippery temporary lacquer, and even works on derailleur gears. Avoid getting it on braking surfaces, though.