Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eking out rear end compliance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 03:17 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

I have a very non-compliant bike and am quite light. I’d like (a lot) more rear end compliance but am unsure about where to start. I have a very supple 28mm (measures 30) rear tire and I usually run it between 50-65psi. I have an aero post so a suspension post is a no-go.

I’m looking at the Selle Italia SP-01 Boost saddle. Does anyone know if this would be significantly more comfortable than a specialized power (steel rail) saddle?
Old 03-11-19, 04:13 PM
Elvo

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
WTB Horizon, tubeless, and/or suspension seatpost
Old 03-11-19, 04:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked 3,974 Times in 2,581 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I have a very non-compliant bike and am quite light. I’d like (a lot) more rear end compliance but am unsure about where to start. I have a very supple 28mm (measures 30) rear tire and I usually run it between 50-65psi. I have an aero post so a suspension post is a no-go.

I’m looking at the Selle Italia SP-01 Boost saddle. Does anyone know if this would be significantly more comfortable than a specialized power (steel rail) saddle?
I ride steel railed Specialized seats on a couple of bikes. They are quite firm. I'd expect most Selle Italias to be more forgiving, this seat quite a bit more. (I've ridden Selle Italias since the dark ages, both under their name and under other brand names.) If you go with the titanium railed version that would be yet another step more forgiving. I ride ti railed seats on most of my bikes for the comfort. (The carbon railed version might be also. No experience there.)

Ben
Old 03-11-19, 04:44 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
fabric scoop or brooks cambium saddles is where I'd start. Rails make very little difference in comfort IME
Old 03-11-19, 06:25 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I ride steel railed Specialized seats on a couple of bikes. They are quite firm. I'd expect most Selle Italias to be more forgiving, this seat quite a bit more. (I've ridden Selle Italias since the dark ages, both under their name and under other brand names.) If you go with the titanium railed version that would be yet another step more forgiving. I ride ti railed seats on most of my bikes for the comfort. (The carbon railed version might be also. No experience there.)

Ben
this is good info. I have no perspective on saddles since this is the only one I’ve ever used. And I can’t even ask most of my friends because they all seem to use power saddles themselves 😂

I tried looking it up and I can’t see any evidence that carbon rails are more comfortable than any Ti rails. So I’ll stick to the Ti for sure.
Old 03-11-19, 06:27 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by redlude97
fabric scoop or brooks cambium saddles is where I'd start. Rails make very little difference in comfort IME
I’m quite hesitant to try a saddle so different in shape from the power (the boost is quite similar) because it suits my aggressive riding style quite well. I don’t think I’d get on very well without a wide cutout.
Old 03-12-19, 01:47 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Any normal sort of saddle is not going to make a significant difference in compliance.
I also have an Allez Sprint but I have no issues with the comfort/compliance (25mm tyres).
Maybe you just need to get used to it.
Old 03-12-19, 02:35 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Dean V
Any normal sort of saddle is not going to make a significant difference in compliance.
I also have an Allez Sprint but I have no issues with the comfort/compliance (25mm tyres).
Maybe you just need to get used to it.
i have 5500 miles and several races on this bike. I don’t think I’m going to get any more used to it. If this is a “HTFU” comment then I disagree. The entire premise of biking is to be as efficient as possible. You could do away with pneumatic tires and gears and wheels even with “HTFU” logic.

But I appreciate your input about saddles contributing to comfort. I know there is a very low ceiling on how much comfort can be eked out of this bike given my constraints but it’s either that or getting a new bike way earlier than I’d like to.
Old 03-12-19, 05:12 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,521 Posts
You could try a Selle Turbo. People have been riding that design for many years.
Old 03-12-19, 06:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
+1

The flexible base on some of the Fabric saddles really smoothes out rough surfaces. I use it for gravel.

The "Line" model has a cutout. I'm not sure if it has a flexible base.

-Tim-
Old 03-12-19, 12:28 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
+1

The flexible base on some of the Fabric saddles really smoothes out rough surfaces. I use it for gravel.

The "Line" model has a cutout. I'm not sure if it has a flexible base.

-Tim-
I have a normal and line saddle, the line saddles aren't quite as flexible
Old 03-12-19, 04:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I run the Turbo saddle on my daily riders, and they are not soft by any stretch. They fit my sit bones perfectly so I use them. A bike with 30mm tires inflated to 65psi should be fairly soft in rear. A suspension post may help, but is the problem on the sit bones or in the back?
Old 03-12-19, 09:09 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Get a Madone!
Old 03-13-19, 10:46 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I run the Turbo saddle on my daily riders, and they are not soft by any stretch. They fit my sit bones perfectly so I use them. A bike with 30mm tires inflated to 65psi should be fairly soft in rear. A suspension post may help, but is the problem on the sit bones or in the back?
The issue isn’t in day to day riding. For 90% of my rides, I’m totally fine. However, those other 10% of roads that are truly utterly garbage (such as the circuit stage of the Tour De Murrieta, which is the reason why I started this thread) leave me utterly drained and sore, both in my butt and my back (and my hands and neck and arms but that’s not what this thread is about).
Old 03-13-19, 03:08 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
You might want to take another look at your tire inflation. The numbers you list are what works well for me on the same size tire and I'm considerably heavier than you. Have you tried 5 psi less than what you have there?

J.
Old 03-13-19, 06:18 PM
jch3n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could try going tubeless and running even lower pressure....though 50-65 PSI in a 28mm tire seems pretty low already.
Old 03-13-19, 08:04 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
You might want to take another look at your tire inflation. The numbers you list are what works well for me on the same size tire and I'm considerably heavier than you. Have you tried 5 psi less than what you have there?

J.
I have gone as low as 45psi in technical, wet races. By that point, however, hard accelerations start feeling quite draggy despite using P Zero tires (which are very supple). I plan to go tubeless with vittoria corsas next, which should allow me to run that kind of pressure in less demanding circumstances, but if I can have comfort without sacrificing as much RR or responsiveness, I'd like to do that.

I was hoping someone would point to something like an elastomer saddle mount that connects to the seat post, and then has the saddle attached above it. Basically ghetto isospeed. I guess if it hasn't popped up by now I'll have to resort to trying out other saddles (my butt and wallet get nervous around the concept of random trial) or possibly jerry-rigging my own one day...
Old 03-14-19, 08:38 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I have gone as low as 45psi in technical, wet races. By that point, however, hard accelerations start feeling quite draggy despite using P Zero tires (which are very supple). I plan to go tubeless with vittoria corsas next, which should allow me to run that kind of pressure in less demanding circumstances, but if I can have comfort without sacrificing as much RR or responsiveness, I'd like to do that.

I was hoping someone would point to something like an elastomer saddle mount that connects to the seat post, and then has the saddle attached above it. Basically ghetto isospeed. I guess if it hasn't popped up by now I'll have to resort to trying out other saddles (my butt and wallet get nervous around the concept of random trial) or possibly jerry-rigging my own one day...
Ah, I feel your pain (figuratively, not literally). I went through the same thing with a cross frame I have. I changed the fork out, seat post, seat, handlebars. All of them made small improvements. Then, we decided to do some high speed touring and light gravel riding so I started messing with the tires and wanted something a bit wider.

When I went to 30c tires from 25c that made a big difference - giant in comparison to each of the changes I had made before. When I went from tubes to tubeless that made another big difference (together with lower tire inflation) and my average speed on that bike was the same with the larger tires and plush ride as with the 25c tires and harsh ride. I was able to take my 30c tires down to around 55psi and I weight just over 200. That's why I thought that you could take yours down a bit more given you weigh less and you're tires are coming out around 30c.

In some of the reading I've done on this topic, it seems that the tires are about 10X the effect of the other things you can do to increase compliance. My experience supports that pretty closely, I think. Biggest impact on vertical compliance is tires and inflation. Only caveat to that would be this presumes you have a saddle you like and can do long miles in. Otherwise, an ass hatchet saddle is going to be a problem no matter what.

So, if it were me, I'd go tubeless and try that out. Presuming your rims are tubeless ready (maybe not a good assumption), that is the easiest and cheapest fix. Then ride a loop taking the tire pressure down 5psi at a time and seeing what happens. One source suggested that you keep doing this until you lose the high frequency road "feel" and feels smooth instead. When you do that, you've apparently optimized inflation. I'll try that as soon as the snow melts here (another 2' to go).

FWIW, the tires I used for tubeless rode like truck tires with tubes in them and were night and day different when I mounted them tubeless. Those were the Schwalbe G-1 speeds in 30c. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my average speed was the same, I was riding heavier tires and the ride was plush. Palm hits forehead moment.

J.
Old 03-16-19, 07:48 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Tires are 90% of what is being called compliance. Or comfort. Unless you are truly a featherweight 50psi in a 30mm tire should take care of it. If it doesn't, you have a lot more analysis to do.

Most mass market products are made to survive Clydes. They have to be made stout or they get absolutely trashed in fora like this one. And then there is the fear of litigation.

If the problem is the frame then replace the frame. You could try twenty saddles and ten springy seatposts and not get there. Sounds to me like what you want is not a mass market frame and not a niche frame. You want a custom. That or explore antique frames from when racers did weigh 120 and 140 pounds.
Old 03-16-19, 09:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea, I'd go for a suspension seat post ... Cane Creek eeSilk is their new light ,gravel market, seatpost ..

Ti frame with an elastomer Monostay insert ... ?

Old 03-16-19, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Get a Madone!
Reshuffle the anagram ...
Domane.. for the decoupler elastomer, at the seat tube/ toptube junction ...
Old 03-17-19, 09:05 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Tires are 90% of what is being called compliance. Or comfort. Unless you are truly a featherweight 50psi in a 30mm tire should take care of it. If it doesn't, you have a lot more analysis to do.

Most mass market products are made to survive Clydes. They have to be made stout or they get absolutely trashed in fora like this one. And then there is the fear of litigation.

If the problem is the frame then replace the frame. You could try twenty saddles and ten springy seatposts and not get there. Sounds to me like what you want is not a mass market frame and not a niche frame. You want a custom. That or explore antique frames from when racers did weigh 120 and 140 pounds.
I don’t think I want to go for an antique frame and give up the responsiveness/weight/handling of my bike just yet. I am considering custom but for now, several thousands is a bit too much for me to spend.

For reference: the pro category of the race that triggered this thread in the first place was won on the same bike that I have. The guy is obviously harder (he crashed twice the day before) than I am but doesn’t weigh too much more from what I can tell. Perhaps this gives more weight to the “HTFU” arguments but I’m always going to be looking to improve my experience on the bike, because I’m doing this for fun, not as a chore.

Anyway, road.cc released a very timely review: https://road.cc/content/review/25780...onio-superflow

Both bikeradar and road.cc agree that the SP-01 saddles are noticeably more comfortable than average. however, Im not sure whether this is just parroting of Selle Italia’a marketing (most professional reviews seem like that) or it’s actually true. Which is why I was hoping for some real world reviews.
Old 03-17-19, 03:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Reshuffle the anagram ...
Domane.. for the decoupler elastomer, at the seat tube/ toptube junction ...
There's no elastomer, it's a pivot point. The new Madone, as recommended by Dean V, also has rear IsoSpeed.

I don’t think I want to go for an antique frame and give up the responsiveness/weight/handling of my bike just yet. I am considering custom but for now, several thousands is a bit too much for me to spend.

For reference: the pro category of the race that triggered this thread in the first place was won on the same bike that I have. The guy is obviously harder (he crashed twice the day before) than I am but doesn’t weigh too much more from what I can tell. Perhaps this gives more weight to the “HTFU” arguments but I’m always going to be looking to improve my experience on the bike, because I’m doing this for fun, not as a chore.

Anyway, road.cc released a very timely review: https://road.cc/content/review/25780...onio-superflow

Both bikeradar and road.cc agree that the SP-01 saddles are noticeably more comfortable than average. however, Im not sure whether this is just parroting of Selle Italia’a marketing (most professional reviews seem like that) or it’s actually true. Which is why I was hoping for some real world reviews.
It looks like a nice saddle and it looks like it might do something along the lines of adding compliance. Do you have any dealers nearby that could get one in and be willing to take it back if it doesn't work out? Or find one online? I see that a couple sellers on Amazon offer them.
Old 03-17-19, 04:26 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts

Your current saddle is apparently working 90% of the time. That's pretty good. Saddles are intensely personal. No one else's experience or recommendation means much. It is the case that most who ride much have a collection of saddles going. Some would rather not admit it, they have the saddles. Borrow someone else's and try before you buy.

Here's why tires matter so much and why frame is second. Tires contact the road first. They are furthest away from your body. They have leverage. The distance from contact patch of tire to your butt is the length of the leverage. Next is the frame. Many parts to a frame and the length of lever is variable. Still, the difference in leverage between a frame and a saddle is substantial. Most current frames are just rocks, no compliance worth mentioning. But there are some with substantial compliance. Titanium moves just as much as steel if designed properly and then throw in something like a MootsYBB rear end. Of course there are gizmos like Spec Diverge and Trek Domane. Most of these are love it or hate it. All work to some extent. Try them. You do not know what you are talking about if you don't try.

The other part of leverage. Your 30mm tires have a safe 20mm of suspension travel and a possible 29-1/2mm. Spec Diverge moves 20mm. An old school steel fork built from Reynolds Super Resilient forkblades has 20mm travel. How much does a saddle move? How much could it move? If it were moving how long would it last? My ancient Selle Italia Tubomatics with elastomers between shell and rails might have had 2mm of travel and I loved them. Lasted a couple thousand and done. Still a good saddle but no more travel. More movement than that and the leverage you, the rider, create to control the bike is getting lost.

There are not easy answers. Experiment. Try to think through the problem. Don't buy product at random. The more different stuff you experience the more you know. Doing it at random takes a lifetime and then some.
Old 03-17-19, 05:10 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Your current saddle is apparently working 90% of the time. That's pretty good. Saddles are intensely personal. No one else's experience or recommendation means much. It is the case that most who ride much have a collection of saddles going. Some would rather not admit it, they have the saddles. Borrow someone else's and try before you buy.

Here's why tires matter so much and why frame is second. Tires contact the road first. They are furthest away from your body. They have leverage. The distance from contact patch of tire to your butt is the length of the leverage. Next is the frame. Many parts to a frame and the length of lever is variable. Still, the difference in leverage between a frame and a saddle is substantial. Most current frames are just rocks, no compliance worth mentioning. But there are some with substantial compliance. Titanium moves just as much as steel if designed properly and then throw in something like a MootsYBB rear end. Of course there are gizmos like Spec Diverge and Trek Domane. Most of these are love it or hate it. All work to some extent. Try them. You do not know what you are talking about if you don't try.

The other part of leverage. Your 30mm tires have a safe 20mm of suspension travel and a possible 29-1/2mm. Spec Diverge moves 20mm. An old school steel fork built from Reynolds Super Resilient forkblades has 20mm travel. How much does a saddle move? How much could it move? If it were moving how long would it last? My ancient Selle Italia Tubomatics with elastomers between shell and rails might have had 2mm of travel and I loved them. Lasted a couple thousand and done. Still a good saddle but no more travel. More movement than that and the leverage you, the rider, create to control the bike is getting lost.

There are not easy answers. Experiment. Try to think through the problem. Don't buy product at random. The more different stuff you experience the more you know. Doing it at random takes a lifetime and then some.
90% may have been misleading. I’d say 90% of the time, my only thought isn’t “god I wish these roads weren’t so rough”. 10% of the time it is. So there is a good chunk of the time where my butt hurts or I’m floating on the pedals but I’m not thinking about it too much - especially on loops I do frequently. So there are significant gains to be had.

While compliance will probably be the #1 factor in my next frame purchase, that is out of the scope of purchases I am willing to make as of right now. I have given it quite some thought though.

Tires could give me 29.5mm of give (much less considering sag), but at that point I’d be running the tires too low to be fast. The question isn’t “how can I get more comfortable?”, the question is “how can I get faster by finding gains in comfort?”. As far as I know, dropping my pressure any lower would not be an answer to the second question. So let’s say the tires give me 8mm (this number is a complete guess, correct me if I’m off) of suspension beyond the sag point for medium bumps (as opposed to hard square hits). A saddle designed to give me even 2mm (I imagine it may be more for hard hits) would be a 25% gain over my tires. So I don’t need much. Carbon doesn’t fatigue too much over time so I’m not worried about that, and the nose of the saddle theoretically should provide a stable pedaling platform when putting down power.

I’m going to call my dealer and see if I can get a trial going or if anyone online has one nearby that I can borrow. Thanks for your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.