Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Long time builder, first time fitter.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-20-13, 04:09 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I have been making frames for a long time. In the past, I have been supplied drawings or specifications only. More recently some folks have supplied "specifitcations" with measurements taken from components. We added BikeCad (I usually draw from scratch on autocad) recently which has been really convenient.

Saturday, we had a guy come in riding a bike that thought his frame was too small. He is about my size (5'11") and was riding a 56. We got him on the bike and it looked way too small also. He had ridden a bigger bike and loved it.

I told the guy I wasn't a fitter. He was OK with that and just wanted someone to help him who understood layout and to change things till he felt right and build a frame from that.

The next day I called the LBS and they had a Calfee fit bike for sale. I bought and brought it to the shop.

He had an offset post with the saddle slammed to the rear and tilted up quite a bit. He had bars level with the seat and flat with the tops of the hoods (how I personally like them) with a 110 stem.

Before he got there I set the fit bike up as a 58 with a 73 seat angle, offset post and his saddle centered and leveled. Upon his arrival we discussed where his old bike was and that what he was going to try was "what I would have tried to sell him if I was a bike salesman". I told him it was going to be a lot different and require an adjustment period. He was cool.

He got warmed up and asked to try it with an even longer top tube, no prob...

and longer....

and longer....

We ended up at 61cm though the frame would not be that big as the stem was still short.

I then tilted the fit bike up on blocks so the front was 6" (150mm for you frame builders) elevated and he rode like that a bit and liked it even more. We cranked it down but but it became too small so back we go.

I went around and took some measurements (I have a goniometer for building car frames LOL) and talked about crank lengths, stem lengths and weight distribution and why his new stem would be longer.

We then added his component dimensions and reverse engineered in bikecad to get his design.

I work with a guy who has been a pro bike mechanic for 20 years and he was pretty excited as was I. We are all looking forward to the build and his test ride.

What do you think?
Old 06-20-13, 04:53 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Sounds like a perfect session, can you do me?
Old 06-20-13, 08:41 AM
ftwelder

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Sounds like a perfect session, can you do me?
LOL, Sure! It's fun to do things that don't involve fire once in a while!
Old 06-20-13, 07:33 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Another reason for a trip to New England!
Old 06-20-13, 10:12 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you're about to get paid for a 'party'!
Old 06-21-13, 12:07 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I have been making frames for a long time...
Welder - Just how many fitters can say this...
Old 06-22-13, 01:52 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
SNIP>>>>>>>>What do you think?
Well, I spent some time around a local custom frame shop and have watched a fitting there. And like many of us I've been fitted on a mock up for components. I am very impressed and I'm sure you have turned around a new corner in your trade. I wish you were in my city.
Old 07-01-13, 03:50 AM
ftwelder

Originally Posted by Lenton58
Well, I spent some time around a local custom frame shop and have watched a fitting there. And like many of us I've been fitted on a mock up for components. I am very impressed and I'm sure you have turned around a new corner in your trade. I wish you were in my city.
My local bookseller found me a copy of the 1970's book published by the Italian Olympic federation (CONI) "Bicycling". I found a PDF version online but having printed manuals from PDF's before, I chose to make the purchase.

https://www.sandcreeksports.com/coni.htm