Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Tire Questions

Old 11-27-14, 12:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Muckman consider Conti GP4000. Sticky and easy to find. But the only go to 120PSI I think.
Old 11-27-14, 09:54 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mukman
My local velodrome (52 degree indoor track) insists on using tires with a diamond tread pattern and not slick tires. Are there decent clinchers that fit this requirement? Or should I be looking for clincher wheels?
Veloflex makes a record clincher that has the classic file tread.
Veloflex Record clincher
Old 11-28-14, 02:53 AM
mukman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally ended up finding the information on the velodrome site. It's in Dutch *and* badly organized, haha.

Ended up ordering some veloflex tires. Man, they don't make it easy to get setup. Oy
Old 12-05-14, 01:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

So I'm going with Tubular Clincher tires on my clincher training wheels to see how they work. I just bought some Tufo C Elites. They are basically a tubular tire (as we know them) with a bead attached to the casing. The tube is already inside like a standard tubular. It's not an "Open Tubular" where they take a tubular casing and cut it open and you insert a tube like a normal clincher.

The pressure rating is 115-220 psi, like a normal tubular.

I've tried Open Tubulars in the past and I really liked the feel. So, we'll see how this goes.
Old 12-05-14, 05:12 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tufo clinchers are not really like open tubulars. They are a regular tubular with an alternate mounting mechanism to allow mounting on a clincher rim. They are a challenge to get over the rim when mounting but seem to stay on ok from the people I have seen use them. For training they are fairly durable. For racing you can get better rolling resistance at 120psi with other tires.
Old 12-05-14, 05:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by slindell
The Tufo clinchers are not really like open tubulars. They are a regular tubular with an alternate mounting mechanism to allow mounting on a clincher rim. They are a challenge to get over the rim when mounting but seem to stay on ok from the people I have seen use them. For training they are fairly durable. For racing you can get better rolling resistance at 120psi with other tires.
Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe I can get on the track this weekend and see how they feel.
Old 12-06-14, 11:43 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by slindell
Oh my god these are hard to mount.

I had to stand on it with my foot and stretch it out all around THREE times like this before it would go on.

I had to mount it like this (cannot use tools):

It took me like 20 minutes last night to mount one. My hands were sore. I didn't do the other. I'll do that one today
Old 02-28-15, 11:42 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a tubular tire recommendation.

I bought a set of brand new Veloflex Records after a lot of rave reviews about their stuff. I've had pretty good luck with their clinchers, but not so much with these.

They have only been ridden indoors in Milton on a relatively new surface and the rear in particular is loosing air fast. I thought it was the valve core but eliminated that as a cause. Rubbed some soapy water and there are bubbles all over the sidewalls along one big 6-8" section of the tire opposite the valve stem. There is no punctures or damage to the tire so I'm inclined to think this is a defective latex tube inside (as discovered lots of others on the web with this problem). Veloflex has been unresponsive.

I put in a small amount of Stans (10ml) which seems to have worked for a couple of rides but today it started dropping pressure again. Today I put in a new valve core and a bit more Stans. It is holding air now in the stand, but we will see what happens when I ride tomorrow.

In the mean time I'd to source at least a new tire or set depending on cost. Extra points for gumwalls. Something more durable and less maintenance would be nice.

I was considering Challenge Pista, or Vittoria Pista CS. Any other options?
Old 02-28-15, 12:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by nspace

I bought a set of brand new Veloflex Records after a lot of rave reviews about their stuff. I've had pretty good luck with their clinchers, but not so much with these.

They have only been ridden indoors in Milton on a relatively new surface and the rear in particular is loosing air fast. I thought it was the valve core but eliminated that as a cause. Rubbed some soapy water and there are bubbles all over the sidewalls along one big 6-8" section of the tire opposite the valve stem. There is no punctures or damage to the tire so I'm inclined to think this is a defective latex tube inside (as discovered lots of others on the web with this problem). Veloflex has been unresponsive.

I put in a small amount of Stans (10ml) which seems to have worked for a couple of rides but today it started dropping pressure again. Today I put in a new valve core and a bit more Stans. It is holding air now in the stand, but we will see what happens when I ride tomorrow.

In the mean time I'd to source at least a new tire or set depending on cost. Extra points for gumwalls. Something more durable and less maintenance would be nice.

I'm not suggesting that yours is not defective, but latex tubes in general lose air quickly. Butyl tube will hold air for days (if not weeks). But, I've found with latex I'll sometimes have to pump tires twice in the same session.
Old 02-28-15, 12:44 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I'm not suggesting that yours is not defective, but latex tubes in general lose air quickly. Butyl tube will hold air for days (if not weeks). But, I've found with latex I'll sometimes have to pump tires twice in the same session.
I hear you. But a 140 psi to 80 drop in less than an hour? That doesn't sound right to me. My latex tubes on the road at least stay firm for the duration of a much longer ride.
Old 02-28-15, 02:16 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training tires, training and racing tires, or just racing tires? If either of the first two I'd probably just throw on vittoria Evo cx or whatever they're calling them nowadays. I raced all last year on continental sonderklasse and they seem to be fairly durable, so I'd consider those as an option as well.
Old 02-28-15, 02:45 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm ok with training tires or something more durable than these Veloflex. I don't want to have to fuss with anything or think about them.
Old 02-28-15, 03:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

I hear you. But a 140 psi to 80 drop in less than an hour? That doesn't sound right to me. My latex tubes on the road at least stay firm for the duration of a much longer ride.
Yeah, that doesn't sound right.

For what it's worth, every Continental tubular that I've ever used holds air for a week. I could pump it to 150psi and 3 days later it might be at 140.
Old 02-28-15, 09:11 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear this. When I was using them I was blown away by how nice they were. I hope this is just an isolated case of poor QC.
Old 02-28-15, 09:28 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I'm very sorry to hear this. When I was using them I was blown away by how nice they were. I hope this is just an isolated case of poor QC.
I loved my Veloflex clinchers (Corsa and Master). Never had an issue with them. I've read more than a couple accounts of similar experiences recently. One from a die-hard Veloflex guy, who now seems to be looking to other brands. I hope they do at least eventually reply to my email. It's been a week now.
Old 03-16-15, 08:42 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I loved my Veloflex clinchers (Corsa and Master). Never had an issue with them. I've read more than a couple accounts of similar experiences recently. One from a die-hard Veloflex guy, who now seems to be looking to other brands. I hope they do at least eventually reply to my email. It's been a week now.
I just acquired a set of Veloflex Record clinchers - the tread is a very fine file pattern and does not look like the file pattern shown on the Veloflex website. I'm wondering how long the tires will last.
Old 06-29-15, 06:17 PM
Baby Puke

Who has used Conti Sprinter Gatorskins? Like/dislike? Still searching for the best affordable training tubular. Thanks
Old 06-30-15, 01:50 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Never had a problem with Sprinters, but also never rode the gatorskin version. FWIW, the regular versions were used on outdoor tracks and the street for motorpacing workouts.
Old 06-30-15, 08:09 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Everybody I know who has used gatorskin tubulars has found them to be a much crappier ride even than modern Sprinters... and not particularly flat resistant, to boot.

I've had good luck with Stehers. They're very durable, and nice enough to still want to ride them. Since I race outdoors, I use those.

edit: just saw your upthread frustration with Stehers, though. Huh.

Last edited by queerpunk; 06-30-15 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 12:53 PM
Baby Puke

Yeah, I mounted some Gatorskin sprinters up last week, and just rode them on rollers last night. They seemed either super slippery or super bouncy, can't really tell which, but the result was nearly crashing when doing rev outs, and a top speed of only ~175 rpm when usually I can hit 200. Anybody else experienced this? Not sure that this means they'll ride poorly on an actual track, it was just weird.
Old 06-30-15, 02:54 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Everybody I know who has used gatorskin tubulars has found them to be a much crappier ride even than modern Sprinters... and not particularly flat resistant, to boot.

I've had good luck with Stehers. They're very durable, and nice enough to still want to ride them. Since I race outdoors, I use those.

edit: just saw your upthread frustration with Stehers, though. Huh.
Since I race both indoors and outdoors, I have used Stehers for years. However, since I bought a pair of wheels with Vittorias, I am changing over to them for my race wheels since they ride sooooo much nicer; plus I can ride a 45 degree bank about 2 mph slower with the Vittorias than the Stehers (this is not that surprising given the relative stiffness of the sidewalls and apparent (to my fingernail) hardness of the tread). I am just hoping that Rock Hill does not chew up the Vittorias too fast.
Old 06-30-15, 03:09 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

which model vittorias?
Old 06-30-15, 08:53 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I did have a pair of Gatorskin GP4000s and they didn't ride as nice as the regular version. Could feel that they were stiffer and less supple. I went to Vittorias on the suggestion that they were suppler. They certainly were, but I also had bad luck with their delicate nature. 3 tires, probably about 4 flats on each tire, and they all gave out with sidewall cuts. I also found them slick in the wet. Just didn't like them all around, but that's only an opinion of 1. I've heard many others rave, so YMMV. I eventually discovered Panaracer clinchers with their ZSG compound and was blown away with the grip and mileage I got out of them.
Old 07-01-15, 11:15 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by VanceMac
Ha. Yes, I swear Vittoria uses the thinnest latex possible. My Crono are nearly entirely flat by the next morning. While my Continental Sonderklasse/Tempo (butyl) will lose like 10psi over a week.
how do you like the Tempos after using 'em for a while?
Old 07-01-15, 12:40 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
how do you like the Tempos after using 'em for a while?
Tempos were utterly indistinguishable from the Sonderklasse in every way (performance, durability, etc). That said, I have a pair of Sonderklasse ready to replace them only because I found some for a good price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.