Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I think I found my Ross Paragon that I sold in 1988. Please advise.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I think I found my Ross Paragon that I sold in 1988. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 06:48 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 184 Posts
This is an intriguing story. I'd love to find my old Diamond Back. Or my Specialized S-Works. Or my Leica M2...
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-01-24, 08:22 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
If it's in or near Madison I can buy it and ship it to you. Can even negotiate on your behalf.
Send me a link to the listing.
Old 02-01-24, 09:06 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 450 Posts
seatpost appears to be the same too. It does look like a small bike for someone 5'-11". I would fit that bike, and I'm 5-9", 30" inseam. But if you're bike was too small, then perhaps it's the one.

this is a great story. I can't wait to find out how it plays out.
Old 02-01-24, 09:28 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
seatpost appears to be the same too. It does look like a small bike for someone 5'-11". I would fit that bike, and I'm 5-9", 30" inseam. But if you're bike was too small, then perhaps it's the one.

this is a great story. I can't wait to find out how it plays out.
can you stand over a 23" bike with feet flat on the floor and the bar centered under your pelvis? For me its touching. I wear 32 length jeans. I wish i could remember the frame size. I asked for another photo of part of the bike that i remember something unique about. If she sends it, i will know for sure.
Old 02-01-24, 09:32 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
If it's in or near Madison I can buy it and ship it to you. Can even negotiate on your behalf.
Send me a link to the listing.
thats very kind TenGrain. Thank you. Its 37 miles from Madison.
Old 02-01-24, 09:49 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
If you end up deciding it is your bike, you could always just pay for it and figure out how to get it later if they are willing to hold onto it. If they are concerned about scams in any way with that proposal you could link them to this thread which should clear up your seriousness. But it sounds like you've got someone willing to facilitate the sale for you.
Old 02-01-24, 09:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3547 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,795 Posts
This could be a great adventure. I hope it's yours!
Old 02-01-24, 10:00 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Not super accurate, but using the cable guide spacing given and the distance from centre of seat tube to rear cable guide and using that to determine the distance from front cable guide to centre of head tube gives us something like this:

Close enough that it could be the right size, IMO.

Also, your Queen is in real trouble.
Wait, it looks like white pulled off the classic three move checkmate - or am I seeing it wrong?

What a fascinating story. BikePower if you get the bike, you must recreate this chess photo for us!
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 02-01-24, 10:06 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by john m flores
Wait, it looks like white pulled off the classic three move checkmate - or am I seeing it wrong?

What a fascinating story. BikePower if you get the bike, you must recreate this chess photo for us!
i will recreate the photo. That will be fun. You guys are great, thank you all for your support?
Likes For BikePower:
Old 02-01-24, 10:35 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 3,580 Times in 1,422 Posts
If you haven’t already reached out to the seller and made plans to pick it up (somehow) - stop posting in this thread and immediately do that!

We had a saying in another nerdy hobby of mine (collecting vintage stationary woodworking tools)…

’In the time it takes you to decide whether you want it or not, someone else will have already arrived at the proper conclusion.’

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-01-24, 11:13 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 450 Posts
If this is actually your young version's bike, I'm in for $20. I can PayPal it to you. Put it towards gas, shipping, purchase price, whatever. I'm serious.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 02-01-24, 12:27 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,053 Posts
a few thoughts:
-i found the listing, says 'in stock', which is code for "my price is absolutely crazy and it has not sold after being listed forever".
-price is o.b.o.
so you have those things in your favor.

IF, and that is a HUGE 'IF" you can verify that it is indeed your old bike, it is difficult to put a price on sentimentality, but try not to seem overly enthusiastic to the seller (might be too late for that), otherwise they might not want to negotiate too much on price. maybe at this point that doesn't matter.
also i'm sure you know by now that there would be after purchase expenses, like shipping.
again, IF this is your old bike, you need to figure out how much it is worth for you to get it back.

if it is NOT your original bike, $300 for a clapped out, needing everything Paragon is about $250-$275 too high.

would be cool to see you get it IF it was your original bike.

Last edited by hazetguy; 02-01-24 at 12:50 PM. Reason: because
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 02-01-24, 12:32 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 92 Posts
Definitely buy it. The odds are 80-90% it's your bike.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 02-01-24, 12:32 PM
smd4

Re the flick-stand, where those can be positioned for optimal function is pretty narrow. Someone with the same bike, and the same flick-stand, would probably have to position it very closely to where you positioned yours.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-01-24, 12:40 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Re the flick-stand, where those can be positioned for optimal function is pretty narrow. Someone with the same bike, and the same flick-stand, would probably have to position it very closely to where you positioned yours.
It boils down to this - how many Ross Paragon's in this part of the country had a flick-stand? I'd guess that the odds are pretty low.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 02-01-24, 12:41 PM
smd4

It boils down to this - how many Ross Paragon's in this part of the country had a flick-stand? I'd guess that the odds are pretty low.
Oh, definitely agree. Very, very low. But not 100%
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-01-24, 01:07 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by smd4
that occurred to me as well which takes some weight off the flick stand evidence rationally, but emotionally when I look at the pictures side by side its compelling proof that its the same bike. and so the head and the heart at odds as per usual in life. But still, how many ross paragons were made, how many in that frame size, how many 35 miles from its last known location bought from a college student (the last known owner), how many with a flickstand from the 1980s (no longer available), how many with flipstand still on the bike from the 1980s?

On the other hand, what are the odds that my exact bike, would be for sale at the exact moment I decided to search wisconsin fro ross paragons. I only searched wisconsin on a couple of occasions? By this criteria the chances of it being my bike are slim to none.

Last edited by BikePower; 02-01-24 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 01:27 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by hazetguy
a few thoughts:
-i found the listing, says 'in stock', which is code for "my price is absolutely crazy and it has not sold after being listed forever".
-price is o.b.o.
so you have those things in your favor.

IF, and that is a HUGE 'IF" you can verify that it is indeed your old bike, it is difficult to put a price on sentimentality, but try not to seem overly enthusiastic to the seller (might be too late for that), otherwise they might not want to negotiate too much on price. maybe at this point that doesn't matter.
also i'm sure you know by now that there would be after purchase expenses, like shipping.
again, IF this is your old bike, you need to figure out how much it is worth for you to get it back.

if it is NOT your original bike, $300 for a clapped out, needing everything Paragon is about $250-$275 too high.

would be cool to see you get it IF it was your original bike.
I agree its not worth much , especially in its unexamined condition. I am frankly perplexed why they are even asking that much for the bike?? Objectively it's a mid grade bike at best, doesnt have a cult following or anything, its not sought after and it needs a lot of work. Im sure there are much better, even minty examples of it available for half the price.

If I could get a look at that derailleur, i wiped the bike out at 15 on railroad tracks and the rear derailleur has a certain scuff rash on it. If I could see that I might know for sure. If the rash is not there, the heart may argue that they replaced it.

The shape of the chain guard on the tube under the chain was unique also. If there is a glue residue there or a rust outline of the shape that would confirm also. I dont want to ask for any more pictures. Some people become impatient with that and then stop communicating.

There may be a artifact from where I mounted my cateye computer sensors on the crank and front fork as well. I still remember the day I installed that. I was so excited! It was high tech computer stuff.

Other than that how can I know for sure? I dont know. Maybe if I can talk to the owner on the phone instead of through messenger i could glean some info/clues about the previous owner that would cinch the mystery.

Overall my gut says about 80 to 90% my old bike being as rational and objective as I can be.

Last edited by BikePower; 02-02-24 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 01:39 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
If this is actually your young version's bike, I'm in for $20. I can PayPal it to you. Put it towards gas, shipping, purchase price, whatever. I'm serious.
Thats very kind of you RB1. Thank you for investing in this adventure! I will keep you posted as the story unfolds. 10grainbread has volunteered to go above and beyond and travel 35miles to where the bike is to negotiate, secure, pack and hand off to the shipper. Im so appreciative for all of you helping me to get my bike back. I never expected this level of interest and support!
Likes For BikePower:
Old 02-01-24, 01:45 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
If you haven’t already reached out to the seller and made plans to pick it up (somehow) - stop posting in this thread and immediately do that!

We had a saying in another nerdy hobby of mine (collecting vintage stationary woodworking tools)…

’In the time it takes you to decide whether you want it or not, someone else will have already arrived at the proper conclusion.’
I did reach out with text and asked to meet Saturday. They replied they will have to find out if that time works. I offered my phone number to call if they want to otherwise I would just wait for them to confirm via text.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 02-01-24, 01:47 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Ive never even seen another flickstand on a bike... EVER. All the bikes I look at in photos online and for sale ads , I have never seen one. I find that encouraging.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 02-01-24, 02:04 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by BikePower
that occurred to me as well which takes some weight off the flick stand evidence rationally, but emotionally when I look at the pictures side by side its compelling proof that its the same bike. and so the head and the heart at odds as per usual in life. But still, how many ross paragons were made, how many in that frame size, how many 35 miles from its last known location bought from a college student (the last known owner), how many with a flickstand from the 1980s (no longer available), how many with flipstand still on the bike from the 1980s?

On the other hand, what are the odds that my exact bike, would be for sale at the exact moment I decided to search wisconsin fro ross paragons. I only searched wisconsin on a couple of occasions? By this criteria the chances of it being my bike are slim to none.
I guess there's only one way to find out...
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-01-24, 02:09 PM
TmMc

Bikes: 1983 Miyata 710, 1983 Koga Miyata Pro-Am-B, 1984 Koga Miyata Flyer, 1983 Univega Competizione, 1984 Univega SuperStrada, 1991 Bridgestone RB-2, 2014 Haibike euro-spec Superrace, 2015 Haibike RX29, 2018 Haibike AllMtn 8.0, 2018 Haibike Urban S 5.0

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Small point - the flipstand does not appear to be in the same location. Not that it matters since it could have been moved over the past four decades (and believe you’ve made up your mind already).

Keep in mind that the “ROSS” logo is flipped on opposite sides of the down tube. On the right side the “R” is on the lower end of the logo, on the left side the “S” is on the lower end.

As shown in the seller’s photo, the strap covers the “S” on the left side, and would cover the “O” on the right side

As shown in your original photo, the flipstand strap does not cover the “O” on the right side. The flipstand is lower in the seller's photo.

Last edited by TmMc; 02-01-24 at 02:15 PM. Reason: compress text
Likes For TmMc:
Old 02-01-24, 02:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
Do you come back to WI on occasion? I'd be able to store it in Milwaukee if you had plans to visit anytime in the next year or so. I could meet 10 grain somewhere for a handoff
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-01-24, 02:29 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by TmMc
Small point - the flipstand does not appear to be in the same location. Not that it matters since it could have been moved over the past four decades (and believe you’ve made up your mind already).

Keep in mind that the “ROSS” logo is flipped on opposite sides of the down tube. On the right side the “R” is on the lower end of the logo, on the left side the “S” is on the lower end.

As shown in the seller’s photo, the strap covers the “S” on the left side, and would cover the “O” on the right side

As shown in your original photo, the flipstand strap does not cover the “O” on the right side. The flipstand is lower in the seller's photo.
wow! I didnt think that through. You are right!! but still. that it has a flipstand (flickstand) is pretty rare imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.