Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

specialized sequoia elite order-whats the deal?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 11:57 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I ordered a new 2017 specialized sequoia in august. keep getting run around about when I will get bike. specialized rep said he would divert one to my bike shop which is a promise he did not keep. I called specialized today for the first time. they tell me that it will be between November 15 to April that I MIGHT get my new bike!!!!! that is ludicrous!! they stated that I am near bottom of list when I ordered in August, meaning that more people ordered before August than after August. I am not being given the whole truth. does anyone have similar experience? Specialized press release stated that bike was supposed to be released in September? Have any new bikes been delivered?
Old 11-03-16, 03:16 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The Kiwi guy from Taupo who works in a bike shop who rides a red Jones 29er (I don't know if he posts here, but he's on MTBR and in my Instagram) got his one and posted some really nice pics of it, so there is at least one in New Zealand.

Your situation sounds a bit ridiculous, maybe hit up another Specialized shop or consider getting another bike? With judicious frame and component selection, you could have a bike equal to or better than the Sequoia for the same amount of money.
Old 11-03-16, 05:25 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't know what your budget is but there are a couple of very nice similar options if you choose to take your $$ elsewhere...

Lynskey GR250 looks like a sweet ride...

As does the Niner RLT-9 Steel

I initially lusted over the Sequoya but now like the above two bikes a little better mainly due to the colors and the fact that I'd rather choose my own build specs.
Old 11-03-16, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Specialized sells thru a Dealer network , go to a Dealer who sells that brand.

not caring about dealer support ? Bikers Direct Or Build it yourself with parts off Amazon, eBay, etc.

How the International bike supply chain works..
There Are Multi brand OEM Factories in Asia, Taiwan has several, that makes the bikes for specialized bicycle imports (SBI),
you are describing the side effects of the international shipping that is part of that way of manufacturing .

the container goes on and off a Ship, into a Port of entry then is trucked and/or placed on a Train to get to the company warehouse, Then your LBS orders the bikes from that warehouse.

'/,
Old 11-03-16, 12:57 PM
jeff400650

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They just came in stock in shops here in the Bay Area, CA. Where are you? I was going to get one, but while waiting, i found the Diamondback Haanjo EXP and bought it and love it.

https://www.diamondback.com/shop/haanjo-exp-carbon
Old 11-03-16, 02:30 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i live in northern Virginia. after i sent nasty email to specialized customer service my bike shop got a call this morning from specialized "management" stating they will expedite my bike. in the meantime I found the same bike I ordered at Mikes Bikes in San Jose, California. my local bike shop is working on it and hopefully I will see my bike shortly-not holding my breath. Alternatively I have taken a jamis exploit for test ride and found it very nice. I'll keep you posted.............
Old 11-03-16, 04:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
well there you go . west coast is where the Ports of Entry are so they would get the imports earlier, than No-Va.
Old 11-03-16, 05:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,702 Times in 4,289 Posts
1 specialized is...the Ford of bikes. There are simply too many other options to lust after and get hung up over a specialized.
2 tough situation. International trade is a total craptastic situation right now. I work in trans and it's straight upside down. A container coming from China to Portland for $650?!?! That's nuts! Hanjin ships forced to sit outside ports due to bankruptcy?!?! Well that Fs up moving goods. Point is- rough situation.
3 perhaps another Spec dealer?

4 have I mentioned Diamondback or Trek or Surly or Soma or Salsa or any of the many companies providing similar spec'd bikes?