Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1997 Rockhopper replace Alivio Front Derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 07:08 AM
MartinPettit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My old Rockhopper needs a new front derailleur. The original spec was Alivio, but wondering would it be ok to upgrade to Shimano M771 XT or SLX, providing I get the triple chainset version. The price is not much different, only £10 extra.
More information:
I have converted to drop bars (Ritchey Biomax) and 2303 levers for comfort on longer rides, and am using a shiftmate #07 to convert the cable pull.
My old front derailleur is having trouble swinging all the way across the rings. If I set it up bang on on the granny ring, when I get to the opposite end (Big front ring, small rear ring), I have to trim it slightly (only 2 turns of my inline Ritchey cable adjuster) but it is a bit annoying.
If I set it up to be correct on the big ring, I have trouble getting into the granny ring at all. I think my derailleur may be a bit bent, so thought about replacing it.
Supplementary Qu:
Are there any front mechs that allow adjustment on the throw based on a set cable movement. I only need about 1mm extra throw. I have set and reset it a number of times now, with different cable tensions and H-L screw adjustments, and have reset the front mech height so it only just clears the largest ring when on maximum throw (as per Sheldon Browns instructions), but cannot quite get it to work properly. Am I missing something?

BTW, wide Drops on an MTB is fab!
Old 05-05-11, 03:28 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ran into a similar problem...I built up a "new" Cannondale mountain bike with parts from my 1997 mountain bike. I used a STX crankset and va Deore XT bottom-pull deralier. I just could not get it to not rub, no matter what I tried. I took it to a very reputable shop in the area, they informed me that due to the more uniform spacing of my front chainrings that the "modern swing" derailier would not work. They replaced it with a cheap ($14) Shimano Altus that works better with the cog spacing. The bike shifts like a dream. I figure they were not trying to screw me, the whole repair was $25. Perhaps you're having a similar issue due to front chainring spacing?