Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dumbest Thing You've Heard A LBS Employee Say

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dumbest Thing You've Heard A LBS Employee Say

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 09:51 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH

I'm not sure they STILL sell it. But 20 years ago when I bought this can, they did. At the rate I'm using it, it ought to outlast me. I'll have to include it in my will, so one of my kids doesn't have to buy their own can.
Grease does break down over time, even when just sitting in the can.
Old 12-03-11, 10:15 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Young newbie tech at bike shop asked if I'd ever ridden the El Tour de Tucson.
Me: Yes.
He: I'm riding it and I'm gonna win it!
Me: You've ridden it before?
He: Yeah, last year.
Me: Did you win last year?
He: No.
Me: This is only my 28th year riding it and the best I've done is 26th place in the first year.
Good luck on your ride, but you will NOT win . . . if lucky you may place in the first 1,000!
He: No, I'm gonna win it!
Misplaced self-confidence of youth!
Old 12-04-11, 12:30 AM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycocross
BTW a dirty chain mark on your leg is the poor man's tattoo.
True story: after a century plus ride from NYC to Philly my friend took a picture of his poor man's tattoos. The next week he went to Brooklyn and made one of 'em permanent. $60 got him five-and-a-half teeth!
Old 12-04-11, 02:27 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
High end shop, popular racing team as well. Walked in and asked the sales guy about MTB tires. Encountered this guy a few times before, freaking annoying guy, looks well educated and, dresses like a lawyer in court and acts like he knows everything. I just want a feakin' tire so I figure this guy can't be too much of a smart ass today.

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: Can I help you?

Beanz: I need a 26 MTB tire, a 2.1 inch

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: A What?

Beanz: 26 MTB tire, a 2.1 inch

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: WTH is a 2.1 inch?

Beanz: A freakin' tire that is 2 inches and one tenth wide

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: Oh, you mean a Two Point One

Beanz: That's what I said

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: No you said a 2.1 inch wide tire

Beanz: WTF do you think 2.1 means?

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: It has nothing to do with inches

Beanz: WTF! The tire measures 2.1 inches, it's all freaking math dude!

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: Has nothing to do with math, it's bike lingo

Beanz: Bike lingo? 2.1 is all about math, get a ruler dude, the tire measures 2 inches and one tenth, 2 inches and 100 thousandths, whatever you want to call it, it's the width of the tire and it's all about the math.

Lawyer wannabe bike shop dude: Nothing to do with math, it's bike lingo, you want a two point one or a two point two, nothing to do with math.

Beanz: Do you have freaking two inch and a tenth tire or not?!

I swear it was like Monthy Python's argue department, I never went back after that!
Friends of mine that I ride with had a similar encounter at a LBS. They went in to buy new chain and had this conversation:

Customer: "I need a new chain for my bike."
Store Clerk: "What makes you think you need a new chain?"
Customer: "I've had the bike for 10 years."
Customer: "I've put 3,000+ miles on the bike."
Customer: "Because 'John*' measured the chain and told me it needed replacing."
Store Clerk: "Do you have the bike with you?"

Shouldn't it be enough that a customer comes in looking to buy a new chain or other part? Is it really their place to ask the customer why they want/think that they need a new chain or what have you?

*'John' being someone who spends a fair amount of time at the LBS.
Old 12-04-11, 04:04 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it came to an old set of cantilever brakes, "I wouldn't pass this one on inspection if it were a car"
Old 12-05-11, 07:46 AM
Six-Shooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Shouldn't it be enough that a customer comes in looking to buy a new chain or other part? Is it really their place to ask the customer why they want/think that they need a new chain or what have you?
That's akin to my one bad LBS experience: I was asking if they stocked a particular piece of cold-weather cycling clothing. Instead of offering the correct answer

"Yes, it's right over here. Did you have any questions I can help you with?"

--or--

"No, but I'd be happy to special order it for you."

He says something like, "You don't need that. It doesn't get that cold here." I guess he didn't want the store to make money. If I were the store manager/owner and heard that, I would have taken him aside and tore him a new one--fired him if it were a repeat offense.

Last edited by Six-Shooter; 12-05-11 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-05-11, 10:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Six-Shooter
That's akin to my one bad LBS experience: I was asking if they stocked a particular piece of cold-weather cycling clothing. Instead of offering the correct answer

--or--

He says something like, "You don't need that. It doesn't get that cold here." I guess he didn't want the store to make money. If I were the store manager/owner and heard that, I would have taken him aside and tore him a new one--fired him if it were a repeat offense.
Maybe he thought he was being helpful and trying to save you money and buy doing so win a repeat customer. A dismissive attitude doesn't help in that regard, though.

Old 12-05-11, 11:25 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron_F
I once went in looking for some MTB tires that'd do a better job hooking up on leaf-covered trails. It was my first autumn riding, and my semi-slicks were letting me down. The mechanic/salesman showed me what they had in stock, and it was all pretty much just a bunch of semi-slicks similar to what I already had. He finally recommend I just use what I had, but take a rake to the trail ahead of time and clear the leaves wherever I needed to. Exactly what I wanted to do on 22mi worth of trail... Anyway, I stopped going there, and began Googling what I needed and ordering online for less cost/hassle.
Either he was indeed an artard and geniune about his comment or was being facetious or a smart ass.
Old 12-05-11, 01:52 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

--or--

Yeah, you could have been planning on going somewhere where it does get cold enough that you'd need it, or in the case of my friends they could have been buying it for someone else.

The irony is that before they'd gone in to buy a new chain I had also gone in to buy a new chain for my bike as well. I'd approached a different person and asked for a 9-speed chain for my Seek and had no such questions asked of me. He just went to where they were stored got one and handed it to me.
Old 12-05-11, 01:58 PM
Six-Shooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Maybe he thought he was being helpful and trying to save you money and buy doing so win a repeat customer. A dismissive attitude doesn't help in that regard, though.
I take your point, but that's not what his tone implied since the very idea seemed to amuse him. His statement wasn't offered in a polite way like "I know from experience that particular product is so warm you may find it uncomfortable and be unhappy with it. Here's an additional option to consider..." Plus, for all he knew, I might have been buying it to go cycling in Alaska. Either way, it's foolish to be dismissive of a customer's desires or to impose your own values on them. I wasn't asking for advice or opinions but was essentially asking to spend my money there. No sale.
Old 12-05-11, 02:09 PM
Six-Shooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, you could have been planning on going somewhere where it does get cold enough that you'd need it, or in the case of my friends they could have been buying it for someone else.

The irony is that before they'd gone in to buy a new chain I had also gone in to buy a new chain for my bike as well. I'd approached a different person and asked for a 9-speed chain for my Seek and had no such questions asked of me. He just went to where they were stored got one and handed it to me.
I'm guessing the interrogator your friends encountered was too busy basking in the egotistical warmth of his vast bicycle knowledge to remember that his job is to sell stuff
Old 12-05-11, 04:32 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm guessing the interrogator your friends encountered was too busy basking in the egotistical warmth of his vast bicycle knowledge to remember that his job is to sell stuff
Could be, but I would hope not. As usually he/they're pretty good at filling a customer's requests.
Old 12-05-11, 07:51 PM
BL4zD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Closed Office
I enjoyed that, and it happens. The little saying 'you get what you pay for' seems to me to be one of the dummer things around, but so many people think it is gospel. I usually like to ask 'how much do you spend on oxygen?'

It seems that a lot of people don't research the product. They just look at the price and assume that the more expensive it is, the better. They don't take the details into account.
Details as in oxygen that costs money is toxin free whereas "free" oxygen that one breathes is laden with toxins? Or what kinds of details are we talking about here...
Old 12-06-11, 06:12 PM
johnr783

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking my email, I saw an ad that triggered a memory and I had to share. A few years ago, must have been 24 or 25 or so, but I generally look quite a bit younger, I went into an LBS looking for a headlight.

I was doing a lot of evening commuting so I wanted something rechargeable. I looked at the Mi-Newt and heard something. Not hearing it fully, as I had headphones on, I turned off my ipod and asked what the employee had said. Turns out he said, "Thats $200." or however much it costs. Dont remember anymore.

I ended up not buying the product for two reasons. 1. I wanted something with an integrated rechargeable battery, not external, as the MiNewt had. 2. The employee assumed that because of my age, I would not have the money to buy the product. Never mind the fact that I had just cashed an $1800 check. Also I dont mind spending money if it will save in the long run, as rechargeable lights would, considering the amount of night riding I do.
Old 12-06-11, 08:55 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
When I got back into riding a couple of years ago I was making the rounds of the bike shops and what was said got two of them right of my list.

At one, when I explained what I was looking for and said I wanted rear baskets on the bike the salesclerk told me that I did not want baskets and they would be a mistake.

At another one the clerk asked what kind of riding I was planning to do and then instead of saying bike "x" here sounds like it will meet what you want said that bike "x" was the bike I wanted and didn't want me to look at other bikes.
Old 12-07-11, 02:09 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnr783
Checking my email, I saw an ad that triggered a memory and I had to share. A few years ago, must have been 24 or 25 or so, but I generally look quite a bit younger, I went into an LBS looking for a headlight.

I was doing a lot of evening commuting so I wanted something rechargeable. I looked at the Mi-Newt and heard something. Not hearing it fully, as I had headphones on, I turned off my ipod and asked what the employee had said. Turns out he said, "Thats $200." or however much it costs. Dont remember anymore.

I ended up not buying the product for two reasons. 1. I wanted something with an integrated rechargeable battery, not external, as the MiNewt had. 2. The employee assumed that because of my age, I would not have the money to buy the product. Never mind the fact that I had just cashed an $1800 check. Also I dont mind spending money if it will save in the long run, as rechargeable lights would, considering the amount of night riding I do.
Yeah, don't ya just love it when people prejudge others? A few years back when I was at a concert in Downtown St. Pete known as First Friday. A guy came over to me and told me that his buddy had thought that I was "homeless." The guy who came over to me pointed out several things on my bike to his buddy to educate him as to why I wasn't homeless, i.e. Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals, the bike itself a Specialized Hardrock, the pannier rack, the pannier bags, the kit that I was wearing.

Most recently I was talking with one of the guys who works for the security company that patrols the apartment complex where I live. He confided in my that the first few times that he saw me coming in that he thought that I was a druggie looking to score. But that I always "disappeared" too quickly before he could catch up to me to see what I was up to. I guess the fact that he pretty much always saw me in full kit, as well as having multiple lights on my bike, or that I was riding an excellent quality bike store bike wasn't enough of a clue. I mean aren't most druggies/junkies riding around on "beater bikes," and trying to "fly under the radar?"

I've been "accused" of being a rolling Christmas tree, a small very low flying plane, a UFO/alien/ET. I mean I have enough lights on my bike that I am visible at least a 1/4 of a mile away. Oh yeah, add to that that I usually have a chem light zipped tied to my front and back wheel. Inconspicuous I am NOT.
Old 12-09-11, 07:46 AM
Six-Shooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnr783

That seems to be a a sort of common thread in this thread Employees who (might) know bikes but don't know jack about sales and customer service. He shouldn't have been making foolish assumptions about how much you could or would spend. It's amazing that these stores stay in business, with some of their employees interacting so poorly with potential customers.
Old 12-09-11, 09:45 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got nearly 20 years in retail, plus I had "military courtesy" pounded into my head while in uniform; it's almost second nature to at least TRY to fulfill a customer's needs; I will admit, though, that I come up a little short when I encounter:

1. the idiot who asks for my help and advice, and rejects it when it conflicts with their preconceived notions.
2. the other idiot who thinks the only difference between a $50 bike and Lance's bike is the price tag (who here thinks you can true a single-wall stamped steel wheel to less than 1mm from perfection without extraordinary investment of time?).
3. the third idiot whose only answer to normal wear and tear is a new bike for free.

I've kept track of this one, after a week in '03 when I got the same question 2x/day EVERY day; "Does this bike come in any other color?" I have answered that question, literally, 1020 times. The answer (at Wallyworld) is, "No. You have to go to a shop to get a color choice." The really entertaining ones are the people that ask, "Why?"

I'm thinking I could start my own thread for silly customer stories (may have been done, haven't looked, didn't consider before now).

I am APPALLED at the lack of CS I see from not only my co-workers, but employees at other places, where I deal as a customer myself.
Old 12-09-11, 05:11 PM
Japanamount

Bikes: 1991 Schwinn Paramount Series 5 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29'r

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Shop Guy: "Looking for something in particular"?

Me: "Yeah, I'm looking for a road bike.. Something that, as much as possible, duplicates the ride of a favorite bike that I once owned."

Bike Shop Guy: "Okay.... What brand was it?"

Me: "Peugeot"

Bike Shop Guy: "Hmmmm... Never heard of it. Was it carbon or aluminum"?

Me: "Uh, it was double-butted chromoly steel, actually.. "

Bike Shop Guy:"High quality bicycles always have carbon or aluminum frames. If you want a low-quality steel bike, Walmart, Target, or similar would be your best bet."

It turned out that craigslist was an even better one. I picked up a brand spankin' new '91 Series 5 Paramount and couldn't be happier...

J.
Old 12-10-11, 05:56 AM
FieldEffect

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the feeling some of you guys are making these stories up. There's just no way people could be stupid enough to say some of this stuff.
Old 12-10-11, 08:58 AM
trevor_ash
Happy go lucky

Bikes: 2010 Nagasawa (Track), EAI Bareknuckle (Track), Custom Jonny Cycles (Track), 90's Eddy Merckx (Road), 2002 Colnago Tecnos, 200? Felt F60 (Road), 1992 Schwinn Paramount Series 3 (Road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FieldEffect
I get the feeling some of you guys are making these stories up. There's just no way people could be stupid enough to say some of this stuff.
I think a lot of people (not necessarily you) assume that if someone works at a bike shop, they know bikes or are at a very minimum interested in bikes. That's not a universal truth. Some people just need a job and learn while on the job. So if a store only sells certain bikes and accessories, that's going to be their entire world. If it's not in that world, it simply doesn't exist. Etc. I think that's why some of these stories sound absurd.
Old 12-10-11, 09:36 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Yeah, don't ya just love it when people prejudge others? A few years back when I was at a concert in Downtown St. Pete known as First Friday. A guy came over to me and told me that his buddy had thought that I was "homeless." The guy who came over to me pointed out several things on my bike to his buddy to educate him as to why I wasn't homeless, i.e. Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals, the bike itself a Specialized Hardrock, the pannier rack, the pannier bags, the kit that I was wearing.

Most recently I was talking with one of the guys who works for the security company that patrols the apartment complex where I live. He confided in my that the first few times that he saw me coming in that he thought that I was a druggie looking to score. But that I always "disappeared" too quickly before he could catch up to me to see what I was up to. I guess the fact that he pretty much always saw me in full kit, as well as having multiple lights on my bike, or that I was riding an excellent quality bike store bike wasn't enough of a clue. I mean aren't most druggies/junkies riding around on "beater bikes," and trying to "fly under the radar?"

I've been "accused" of being a rolling Christmas tree, a small very low flying plane, a UFO/alien/ET. I mean I have enough lights on my bike that I am visible at least a 1/4 of a mile away. Oh yeah, add to that that I usually have a chem light zipped tied to my front and back wheel. Inconspicuous I am NOT.
In the early 80's when I was just out of college, I was selling expensive tires in a run down section of Chicago when a lady walked in who looked like she might have been homeless. I talked with her for a while about the tires we sold, and told her it would cost about $650 for a set for her car. She showed up a few hours later with a rumpled paper bag full of money (mostly singles and fives) and by the time we got done counting the money from the bag we had enough money to pay for the tires she wanted spread out over most of the front counter. It turned out she worked nights and had been saving the tips she got at work under her bed until she had enough to pay for the tires she really wanted.
Old 12-10-11, 10:00 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
<-- LBS mechanic.

I like surprising people with arcane knowledge they don't expect me to know. I like giving people more options than they knew even existed.
Old 12-10-11, 10:38 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A while back, I was at a group ride, and rode with a new (and slow) rider that showed up. I think he said he had been one of the managers of a Dick's Sporting Goods store, and so was over the bike department (which, if you're not familiar with them, it's a little more upscale bike department than Walmart, but not anything like a regular bike store, either). Anyway, the criteria for his job was having fitness experience, but not necessarily bike experience, so in that case, the person over the department could conceivably know nothing about bikes.

Something I find from my own experience is that I can get very familiar with what I do, but there are wide areas of bike knowledge that I'm just totally out of touch with. So I read about "tubular tires", but haven't a clue what they look like, and have no idea if my bike shop sells them. I've got over 20,000 miles on my bike with bar-end shifters but have never used brifters, so I'm not sure exactly how they function. And I suppose bike shop guys can have similar issues if they haven't been doing this for 30 years.
Old 12-10-11, 02:03 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I presume that you have heard the saying "The truth is stranger then fiction," right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.