Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Cycling Anime (Cartoons)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Cycling Anime (Cartoons)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 06:14 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Haruhiism
Right? That's the thing with a lot of animes, specifically non-mainstream ones; usually run for one or if lucky two seasons before they're done even if the manga continues long after. Really hyped for the 3rd season of Yowapeda as a result. I think I'll pick up Long Riders once the full season is out.

Also, kind of untreated but I'm gettng a Sohoku jersey once I find a good source for it. Most I've seen online look like cloth and not even jersey material. I'm not expecting Castelli quality, but damn!
I wonder if you could get the Jersey made?
Old 12-20-16, 09:43 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar

I might break down and read the Long Riders manga because the last two episodes are delayed till Feb lol. But I have to say I think that's really awesome Yowamushi inspired you enough to start cycling!
I tried to find the manga version but unable to find it. If you found it, let us know.
Old 12-21-16, 01:11 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Right? That's the thing with a lot of animes, specifically non-mainstream ones; usually run for one or if lucky two seasons before they're done even if the manga continues long after. Really hyped for the 3rd season of Yowapeda as a result. I think I'll pick up Long Riders once the full season is out.

Also, kind of untreated but I'm gettng a Sohoku jersey once I find a good source for it. Most I've seen online look like cloth and not even jersey material. I'm not expecting Castelli quality, but damn!
Looks like they are sold on amazon for 40 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Yowamushi-Bre...FMWD48GWTPZZJD

Reviews, if they are to be believed, look good.

Represent
Awesome!
Thanks. Ultimate cosplay.
Old 12-21-16, 11:29 AM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I started binge-watching Yowamushi Pedal, and look what I found. Could it be? A nod to the Rapha bidon flip???

Old 12-28-16, 11:34 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
great recap this
Old 12-29-16, 11:41 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Crunchyroll - Crunchyroll to Simulcast "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club" Anime
Old 12-30-16, 12:06 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Originally Posted by howheels
So I started binge-watching Yowamushi Pedal, and look what I found. Could it be? A nod to the Rapha bidon flip???

Cool I never noticed that before! I wonder if there is any other pro cyclists they kinda give a nod to?

Originally Posted by bleui
Thanks man! That vid mentioned a anime I actually didn't know/forgot about called "Over Drive" and it sounds pretty good.

I can't wait for this show, how about you?
Old 12-30-16, 11:05 AM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder if there is any other pro cyclists they kinda give a nod to?
Actually, yes. Towards the end of the second season, Naruko starts pulling the team up hill using his "sprint climb" technique. Then he transitions to an on-the-rivet TT position and proclaims it has his "Armstrong climb".
Old 01-01-17, 04:00 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I've seen a few episodes of Yawapedal on youtube a year or so ago. The other two look good as well. All of them have to be better than Idaten Jump which is like Beyblade if the beyblades were mtbs and not tricked out fancy spinning tops.
Old 01-01-17, 04:16 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
This reminds me; I've been working on a cyclist themed story. I mean it's got lgbt themse, because I'm me, but it's about a high school kid on the schools cycling team.
Old 01-04-17, 11:49 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I've seen a few episodes of Yawapedal on youtube a year or so ago. The other two look good as well. All of them have to be better than Idaten Jump which is like Beyblade if the beyblades were mtbs and not tricked out fancy spinning tops.
lol It's like they are trying to re-hash those old Evil Knievel motorbike toys.

I have to say I've been watching Over Drive and it's actually pretty good. The problem is the Cycling doesn't really start until episode 8,but then it starts to get epic. So you either need to skip to episode 8, or put up with it.

I kinda feel like Yowamushi pedal borrowed heavily from it. For instance the Captain of the Hakone high school "Juichi Fukutomi" kinda looks and acts like "Yousuke Fukazawa" the Over Drive's team captn. Maybe a silent nod?
Old 01-04-17, 12:02 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as I love a good anime, I did read the Japanese Yowamushi manga a few years ago. I saw a few kiddos show up to my local shop or group rides sporting a Sohoku Jersey saying they was inspired by "Yowamushi Pedal" Many have come and gone, but none have stayed consistent through the season. Once they learn how expensive, how much work, or how much time cycling takes; they've turned tail and run. Me and the old geezers will stick to talking about politics, beer, and babes I guess.

Some of the guys show up in 4-chan or Red*it Jerseys. Perhaps I should show up in a Hakone or Fortuna jersey for kicks? : ) What happened to the old bikeforums jerseys, I remember us having the old number in the Jersey.
Old 01-10-17, 02:14 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Panza
As much as I love a good anime, I did read the Japanese Yowamushi manga a few years ago. I saw a few kiddos show up to my local shop or group rides sporting a Sohoku Jersey saying they was inspired by "Yowamushi Pedal" Many have come and gone, but none have stayed consistent through the season. Once they learn how expensive, how much work, or how much time cycling takes; they've turned tail and run. Me and the old geezers will stick to talking about politics, beer, and babes I guess.

Some of the guys show up in 4-chan or Red*it Jerseys. Perhaps I should show up in a Hakone or Fortuna jersey for kicks? : ) What happened to the old bikeforums jerseys, I remember us having the old number in the Jersey.
You actually read the Yowamushi manga? That's awesome!

I'm glad it at least drums up interest as cycling isn't always the easiest sport to get into like you say. Personally when I was a kid there was no way you would catch me dead in a Jersey. The reason being is I got into cycling from a dare, I was an avid BMX'er, and I was running my mouth off how wussy road cyclists were.
I got called on my bragging and invited on a long distance trip, so I rented a crappy sears special. In the group there was at least 20 riders. I could blast past all but the top 3 riders, that trip really opened my eyes to the joy of riding, seeing new places, and pushing yourself. I kept riding roadbikes after that, but there was no way I was going to risk looking not "edgy" and "cool", by wearing a bright and tight jersey lol...(Hey it was the 90's, the era of grunge)

I watched the first episode of Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu (Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club)

The background scenery is stunning, it makes you want to visit that place in real life. But I have to admit the first episode was a slow start as the **SPOILER ALERT** MC can't ride a bicycle yet.

After the credits they have a informative segment with the girls from "A-O-P" who sing the theme song. About the different types of frame materials. So I have a feeling this show might be geared more for people who are just entering cycling and not the diehards like Yowamushi may attract. (borrowed pic from First impressions: Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu | Wis[s]e Words) Decent review.

Old 01-10-17, 08:07 AM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saw the first episode last week and it was fun to watch. I managed to find manga of this anime and it only have two that were already translated into English. And anime is not 100% following what manga shown - I would say 90%.
Old 01-10-17, 12:29 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by JMH714
I saw the first episode last week and it was fun to watch. I managed to find manga of this anime and it only have two that were already translated into English. And anime is not 100% following what manga shown - I would say 90%.
That's really cool! Have you seen the latest Yowamushi Pedal episode yet?
Old 01-10-17, 03:14 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, no, not yet... Planned to watch tonight!
Old 01-11-17, 08:02 AM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, I saw it last night. The first half of this episode seems to taken from the movie. But 2nd half is new.
Old 01-11-17, 10:31 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by JMH714
Okay, I saw it last night. The first half of this episode seems to taken from the movie. But 2nd half is new.
That's exactly what I thought to.
Old 01-15-17, 12:49 PM
Onyxaxe

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui
You beat me to it lol. The new season of Yowamushi Pedal just started and looks promising
Old 01-15-17, 06:04 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Just watched the 2nd episode of Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club. Defiantly a huge leap forward from the first episode, now if I could only see the second episode Yowa, I'll be content till next week.
Old 01-15-17, 06:16 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Sorry for double post but I just stumbled about this article Crunchyroll - FEATURE: Anime vs. Real Life ? "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club"

The scenery in Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club has been very closely copied and are actual streets.

Old 01-15-17, 10:04 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for double post but I just stumbled about this article Crunchyroll - FEATURE: Anime vs. Real Life ? "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club"

The scenery in Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club has been very closely copied and are actual streets.

Yeah, many anime shows have real life buildings insert into it. I think they took photos and convert into cartoon-level.
Old 02-05-17, 04:54 PM
SSRI

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
just finished 5 episodes of Minami, interesting they were able to use real bike trade names in the anime, while Yowamushi had to use a modified name.
Old 02-06-17, 01:33 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by SSRI
just finished 5 episodes of Minami, interesting they were able to use real bike trade names in the anime, while Yowamushi had to use a modified name.
I didn't notice that, I wonder if Pinarello paid for their name to be in the show, or were they just cool with the free advertising?

On a side note the last two episodes of Long Riders aired today. I'm kinda sad the series is over, but the Shimanami Kaido is now on my bucket list.
Old 03-16-17, 07:49 PM
aod43254

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't notice that, I wonder if Pinarello paid for their name to be in the show, or were they just cool with the free advertising?

On a side note the last two episodes of Long Riders aired today. I'm kinda sad the series is over, but the Shimanami Kaido is now on my bucket list.
I just recently caught up to the show and noticed "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club" actually seems to use the real brand names for all of the bikes they have featured so far (Pinarello, Liv, Cannondale, [giant and specialized can be seen tho I dunno if they were on bikes])

Personally I was actually partially inspired to buy a bike because of Yowamushi Pedal (that and the desire to lose weight), I've even considered in the future possibly purchasing a Hakone jersey when I get more experience. Oh and so far season 3's been pretty good for those that may not have caught it yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.