Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick out a new bike.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 12:58 PM
Onyxaxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been a while since I've been here.

Long story short I've been commuting on a 30 pound single speed up and down miles of hills in all kinds of crappy weather. I like it but some days I need it to be easier so I can log more than 15 miles. Even though I feel like it's more likely to get stolen and draw attention to where I live I've decided to get a hi-viz bike. Naturally the pick 2 of 3 scenario means the bike I can afford will be heavier than desired but suitable. What I need from you guys is to help me pick a bike that will suit me in races as well. I'm a commuter but am taking road biking seriously these days and want to start joining some club rides and logging hundreds of miles. I don't understand all these geometries well enough on my own, but considering its fun to ride like a bat out of hell, endurance geo doesn't sound like much fun when I want to sprint. Please educate me and give me your first hand experiences regarding your favorite geometries for short rides as well.

The bikes in question are

RIBBLE CGR

Ribble CGR - Sportive Bikes - Ribble Cycles

MANGO POINT R

https://www.mangobikes.com/shop/bike...nt-r-full-105/

I can't help but feel inclined to spend more on a bike from a company that doesn't cater to hipsters. This could be an unproven bias though as the Mango is getting good reviews. From what I've been able to gather the Ribble may be stiffer, but the Mango is a pound or two lighter due to the lack of discs. I'm not fond of discs in particular but I won't drop a bike just because they're on there.

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-15-17, 01:11 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Caad 12 105.
Old 01-15-17, 01:20 PM
Onyxaxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Caad 12 105.
Oh man, not this again.
Old 01-15-17, 01:31 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
https://www.mangobikes.com/shop/bike...t-ar-full-105/

Old 01-15-17, 01:33 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Caad 12 105.
I agree: As of the year 2016, Regardless of your riding surface, intended use, age, size, weight, riding level, flexibility, core strength, wants, needs, or budget...the Caad 12 105 is the bike you need!
Old 01-15-17, 01:41 PM
Onyxaxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's definitely something I'd consider since my favorite LBS sells them. Not Hi-Viz though. Do the newer CAAD's take 28c's?.
Old 01-15-17, 01:48 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I recently got this for $525. They have a coupon out every month or so.

Cavalo Gara Disc Road Bike

Build quality is pretty good, generic saddle/post/bars/stem and ugly welds though but can't beat a new 5800 bike with disc brakes for almost the price of a 105 group
Old 01-15-17, 02:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sorry , can give you directions to my local Shop and they can show you what they stock..

Its Quiet There now , unlike summer.

(or can order if your size is not on the floor)

Old 01-18-17, 11:19 AM
Onyxaxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'l go this route and just cuss at the hills. I'm accustomed to wider tires for Kentucky roads and I'm warming up to the thought of discs. No offense to the Cult of CAAD that is Bikeforums.net but I don't want a bike that screams "steal me because I'm awesome"!. It's either the Mango AR or the Pinnacle Dolomite. Road.cc reviewed the Ribble and it seems too tame geometry wise.

Thanks again for the opinions. I haven't completely written off Cannondale since they always go on sale at my LBS but I'll have to cost in a paint job.
Old 01-18-17, 12:14 PM
danimal92sport

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Onyxaxe
I think I'l go this route and just cuss at the hills. I'm accustomed to wider tires for Kentucky roads and I'm warming up to the thought of discs. No offense to the Cult of CAAD that is Bikeforums.net but I don't want a bike that screams "steal me because I'm awesome"!. It's either the Mango AR or the Pinnacle Dolomite. Road.cc reviewed the Ribble and it seems too tame geometry wise.

Thanks again for the opinions. I haven't completely written off Cannondale since they always go on sale at my LBS but I'll have to cost in a paint job.
You must have some picky theives in your neck of the woods. Where I live, if it's a bike without rust, the the specific model or paint job don't matter; it's at risk either way. I don't see how a Cannondale is at a higher risk than a Mango.

Dan
Old 01-18-17, 01:41 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal92sport
You must have some picky theives in your neck of the woods. Where I live, if it's a bike without rust, the the specific model or paint job don't matter; it's at risk either way. I don't see how a Cannondale is at a higher risk than a Mango.
Exactly.. If it's got drop bars, it's thief bait.An unattended GMC Denali would get snapped up in a second around here (and I live in a quiet suburb with pretty low crime.)
Old 01-18-17, 04:30 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
You seem to have a liking for yellow! Two other good bikes I've been looking at myself are "Trek Domane 2.0" "Cannondale Synapse Disc Tiagra" and Norco Search A 105.

But maybe a good classic used bike might be good for you? Some of them still ride really nice, and might be not as a big target for theft like a new bike. Also if it does get stolen you haven't invested too much into them.
Old 01-18-17, 07:29 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I recently got this for $525. They have a coupon out every month or so.

Cavalo Gara Disc Road Bike

Build quality is pretty good, generic saddle/post/bars/stem and ugly welds though but can't beat a new 5800 bike with disc brakes for almost the price of a 105 group
Dude that is a GREAT deal......105 is good stuff as long as the wheels are round and the frame is crack free you win.
Old 01-19-17, 09:08 AM
Onyxaxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal92sport

Dan
Yep. Kentucky isn't big on theft in general but I noticed the nicer bikes get jacked. Idk if it's because the owners are negligent with their locking up or if some punks from the town over just want a nicer bike.
Old 01-19-17, 09:22 AM
Onyxaxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
You seem to have a liking for yellow! Two other good bikes I've been looking at myself are "Trek Domane 2.0" "Cannondale Synapse Disc Tiagra" and Norco Search A 105.

But maybe a good classic used bike might be good for you? Some of them still ride really nice, and might be not as a big target for theft like a new bike. Also if it does get stolen you haven't invested too much into them.
I have 7 cheap blacked out bikes. I was thinking of getting something high viz for longer rides in case I'm rushed and head out in my blacked out clothing and forget my lights or something. That and they just look cool lol.

Regarding the theft, I'm more concerned about people scouting me and ransacking my place than theft out and about. I don't exactly live in a good neighborhood.

Thanks for the recommendations, those are all really cool too.