Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 12:06 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
You have more than 10 posts, you can post pictures.
Old 03-25-24, 01:41 AM
Justamy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Likes For Justamy:
Old 03-25-24, 01:42 AM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
You have more than 10 posts, you can post pictures.
I Got it figured out thank you 🙂
Old 03-25-24, 12:16 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm wanting to sell all of these bikes I didn't know you have to have a paid membership to post anything for sale. We just want them gone along with a ton of other accessories that aren't in pictures. They are my guys late father's. He (my guy) wants to sell EVERYTHING as a lot. Which from comments earlier in this thread some were saying that is not going to bring good $. Which I have told him this but he wants to sell it all and be done with it. It's taking up space we need. He's wanting $1500 for all of it and I've been telling him it's highly unlikely he's going to get that much even with all the extras haven't taken pictures of. Can anyone help me in explaining to him why he's not going to get that amount for the lot of what he's got. He's being hard headed about it. Tia
Old 03-25-24, 12:56 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
A person would have to be insane to pay that kind of money for a bunch of dirty old bicycles and parts.
If he gets 10% of that for the whole dealio and the buyer carts it all away, he should consider himself fortunate.
As an alternative, ask an estate sales company what they would charge to remove and auction them (if they would even do so). Guaranteed net negative.
Tell him I said so.
Old 03-25-24, 01:23 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
A person would have to be insane to pay that kind of money for a bunch of dirty old bicycles and parts.
If he gets 10% of that for the whole dealio and the buyer carts it all away, he should consider himself fortunate.
As an alternative, ask an estate sales company what they would charge to remove and auction them (if they would even do so). Guaranteed net negative.
Tell him I said so.
I've tried telling him this but hes being difficult about it. I think he would do way better if he would let me part them out and sell on ebay cause there is a lot of higher end parts that will sell. It's just going to take time to do that.
Old 03-25-24, 03:20 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Honestly parting out and selling on eBay would be a ton of work and you still won’t get close to $1500. There’s just not that much value in any of those bikes. Most valuable by far is the red Schwinn Super Sport, and depending on your location/market you’d be lucky to get $250 for it. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle and want it all gone, list the lot for $400 or so and be prepared to take a lower offer or wait a long time. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-24, 03:47 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Justamy
Can anyone help me in explaining to him why he's not going to get that amount for the lot of what he's got.
One reason is that there are many different sizes of frames so one person isn't going to want to buy the lot unless they can flip them. And a flipper isn't going to get $1500 out of them even after spending all the time and money it would take to get them roadworthy. A flipper would lose money on this lot were they to spend $1500 IMHO.

Another reason is most people are only going to want one of them. For example I would only want the Raleigh where someone else may want the mixte. Buying them all to get the one that was wanted would leave someone burdened with getting rid of the others.

Old 03-26-24, 07:03 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
$1500? You’ll have these for a long, long time. A lot of them are what I call donation fodder. Not worth the time and effort to sell. With this pile, the 90/10 rule applies. 10% of the pile has 90% of the value.

And parts sales/prices on eBay are down sharply. I sell on eBay every day.

He needs to try it. The market will tell him if he was right or not.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-26-24, 08:30 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
He’s being difficult? Won’t accept expert opinions? Certain he knows the ‘value’ of this pile? Fine.
Now it’s his problem, not yours.
Done.
Old 03-26-24, 10:17 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
He’s being difficult? Won’t accept expert opinions? Certain he knows the

​ ‘value’ of this pile? Fine.
Now it’s his problem, not yours.
Done.
THats kinda where I'm at with it honestly. I read some of the responses to him which caused an argument. He knows nothing about bike or the market for them. They were his dad's and he just thinks they are worth more than what they really are. Thanks for the responses everyone. I do appreciate the information. 🙂
Old 03-27-24, 09:14 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
I like that Gitane a lot, the one I have is a bit on the small side for me and I’ve been keeping an eye out for one to replace it with that is slight bigger. The gold is lovely. Bummer that you are getting a lot of pushback on pricing from your guy. But yes everyone here is correct regarding value, sadly. I myself have stopped selling bikes at this level of quality and have resorted to giving them away because it’s fun, and selling them is not worth the emotional investment for such little return, in most (or my) cases.

I know a guy who ran a bike shop here in town that is chock full of all kinds of interesting stuff, but he’s not really interested in selling anything. It doesn’t make sense to most of us, but there will always be people like this and all of us know at least one.

If I had to guess, these bikes are in some way an emotional tie to the dad for your guy, so the idea of them having little to no worth is emotionally painful and a very hard barrier to get past. The only real way I see it changing is if instead of feeling like he was honoring his dad by getting $1500 for the whole thing which won’t ever happen, his mindset changes and he tries to find appreciative new owners who will cherish each specific bike, regardless of the cost. I would want to see my bikes bringing enjoyment the same way they brought me enjoyment.

We had a recent thread on here that was speculating what will become of our bikes once we die (morbid, I know, but kinda fun too). The consensus was that if, collectively, half of everyone’s collection doesnt automatically and instantly hit the dump, we are in great shape. Personally, I’m hoping my relatives can at least have an estate sale company on speed dial

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 03-27-24 at 09:17 AM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-27-24, 06:58 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Hi,
Another suggestion you may be able to get him to test the waters on. Pick the best looking 3 or 4 that have “forged” or integrated derailleur hangers on them. The Raleigh Racing, Schwinn SS, Nishiki Mixte, Gitane, etc. Clean them up, put air in the tires and list on Craig’s List for $125 the next weekend with decent weather. Plan to meet potential buyers at a local park where they can test ride. Boxes of parts & any partially assembled bikes should probably be donated to a local co-op or bike kitchen. If this works just keep repeating. It will take a little effort, but will most likely give you the best results. If something doesn’t sell lower the price for the next weekend. Donate any leftovers.
Good luck,
Senior Ryder 00
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 03-27-24, 07:07 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I'm just hoping someone doesn't try to hang 1x12 gearing and fat tires on my Colnago.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 03-27-24, 07:32 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
I'm just hoping someone doesn't try to hang 1x12 gearing and fat tires on my Colnago.
I have no idea what that means lol
Old 03-27-24, 07:33 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi,
Another suggestion you may be able to get him to test the waters on. Pick the best looking 3 or 4 that have “forged” or integrated derailleur hangers on them. The Raleigh Racing, Schwinn SS, Nishiki Mixte, Gitane, etc. Clean them up, put air in the tires and list on Craig’s List for $125 the next weekend with decent weather. Plan to meet potential buyers at a local park where they can test ride. Boxes of parts & any partially assembled bikes should probably be donated to a local co-op or bike kitchen. If this works just keep repeating. It will take a little effort, but will most likely give you the best results. If something doesn’t sell lower the price for the next weekend. Donate any leftovers.
Good luck,
Senior Ryder 00
You mean $125 each for the best 4
Old 03-27-24, 07:54 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
You mean $125 each for the best 4
Sorry, should have been clearer. Yes, that is “each”. Also, if some of of them are particularly nice, you can ask more $. My experience is that unless the bike has been fully serviced and ready to ride with good tires, people only want to pay $100 to 150 even for better bikes.
Cheers,
Van
Old 03-27-24, 08:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I would easily pay $150 for the Raleigh if I were closer to the OP. I have a Competition from the same year, but this Supercourse looks to have the original pedals, reflectors, flick-stand, spoke protector and possibly saddle. Unfortunately even if I was willing to make the drive, that is only 10% of what the guy wants for the lot, so it ain't happenin' I reckon.

Old 03-28-24, 02:48 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I would easily pay $150 for the Raleigh if I were closer to the OP. I have a Competition from the same year, but this Supercourse looks to have the original pedals, reflectors, flick-stand, spoke protector and possibly saddle. Unfortunately even if I was willing to make the drive, that is only 10% of what the guy wants for the lot, so it ain't happenin' I reckon.
He might actually take $150 for it. I've been reading these responses to him and I think it's helping him realize he's off on what he's thinking they are worth. Like someone mentioned before instead of getting $1500 which is never going to happen to find people who are going to enjoy and appreciate his dad's bikes like his dad did. I really appreciate everyone's feed back it has helped a lot. 🙂
Likes For Justamy:
Old 04-04-24, 05:22 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
No top or high middle range bikes unfortunately. A couple nice bike boom examples but I would say $50-$150 depending on when how fast you want to sell.

if he goes through parts look for Campagnolo. Those are high mid to top end parts.
Old 04-04-24, 06:14 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
If it's more about sentimental value than money, take a look at the nearest non-profit bike co-operative. In St. Louis, there's this

https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/Bicycle_Works

They will take the lot, and work hard to get them to people who need/want bikes. I ran a bike co-op for several years, and we really appreciated donations like this. The better bikes are often sold to vintage bike loyalists, which helps to fund the whole operation. The rest go to people who need transportation bikes. We sent as little to scrap as possible, but even the scrap metal earns a few pennies.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-10-24, 12:27 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Justamy

Which part of MO are you located near? I ask because I *might* be taking a trip there for something a little unrelated (still two wheels though) in the upcoming weeks, and it got me thinking about your predicament.

Old 04-11-24, 12:37 AM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Justamy

Which part of MO are you located near? I ask because I *might* be taking a trip there for something a little unrelated (still two wheels though) in the upcoming weeks, and it got me thinking about your predicament.
Southeast Mo about 80 miles south of st. Louis 50 miles northwest of cape Girardeau
Old 04-11-24, 10:55 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Southeast Mo about 80 miles south of st. Louis 50 miles northwest of cape Girardeau
Shucks okay I'm probably going to be more on the Springfield side of things if I go.