Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Toe overlap on front wheel - is this a problem or a paranoia?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 06:06 PM
fleetfoot
Vergelegen

Bikes: Trek 5200; Cervelo Soloist Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just added the speedplay extender plates to my cleats and moved the cleats back. They feel perfect now but I noticed a fair amount of toe overlap with the front wheel if the foot is forward and the wheel turns beyond 15 degrees. Assume that I can remember to put feet vertical on sharp turns but has anyone forgotten and had a problem with this before? i.e. is it likely that one could ever catch your foot and crash, or is this a remote possibility?
Old 05-08-08, 06:09 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Paranoia.

They all overlap to some degree or another. Maybe an issue during a slow 180 degree turn if you're not careful. Otherwise? I doubt you'll ever notice.

Old 05-08-08, 06:09 PM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're turning the wheel that much on sharp turns, you're doing something wrong.

Some overlap is fine.
Old 05-08-08, 06:10 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
possible, but I haven't done that at all this year.
Just practice doing some track stands in the grass and this issue becomes moot.
you only really need about 5° of steering both ways to maneuver a bike going over 3mph
Old 05-08-08, 06:22 PM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I almost went down at a red light when yours truly avoided unclipping by trackstanding ( you have to rock a bit back and forth) It's a delicate balance that cannot be upset.

Well it's only a problem at very, very low speeds.
Old 05-08-08, 08:29 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 58 Cannodale with a raked fork, no problem. My latest ride is a 57 Lemond with a straight blade fork. I was shocked the first time I went for a ride. I did hit the tire with my toe. I wa worried about it but the fit fits like a glove as far as everything els. Seems that once I knew it was ther, I haven't touched the tire again in nearly 3 years.

TRhe other thing that got me was a standing wrpint while climbing. I almpost flipped over the HB's. Not sure if it was teh straigth blade fork or compact sloping top tube geometry that got me. Hasn't happened since. I guess it happens with a new ride and new feel!
Old 05-08-08, 09:01 PM
kill.cactus
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe overlap poses more of a problem when you're making low speed, tight maneuvers since your wheel will be turned much more sharply than when you're making a high speed turn that isn't nearly as tight.

Toe overlap will happen on almost every bike with responsive geometry - I don't see how it'd be possible to have a responsive bike without having to have the front wheel venture into the foot territory unless the crank and BB is moved back, making the bike longer and thus less responsive... and the cycle goes on

yeah, it isn't too much of a problem
Old 05-08-08, 11:10 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
If you pay attention to it...it's a problem...

If you ignore it...it won't be a problem...

Any questions?

=8-)
Old 05-09-08, 06:37 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
After the first close call you tend to remember to turn sharply with the pedals a little more up and down, stutter pedaling if necessary to keep the bike moving (uphill etc). As someone that's never ridden a bike that doesn't overlap and who normally does trackstands, I can say that I only think about it when I see threads asking if it's a problem

Seriously though, you should be fine. You'll have to think about it when you're turning around on a narrow sidewalk etc but after a while it becomes second nature, like lifting the inside pedal if coasting through a turn.

As a note, the front-center of the frame (distance from BB to front dropouts) primarily determines toe clip overlap (along with shoe size and cleat position). If you have a long frame, it has less overlap (or none). If you have a short frame, it has overlap. Fork "curve" is not a factor since the frame was designed with a particular fork rake in mind, and either a straight blade or curved blade fork can be used to reach the same rake. I believe with Lemond frames that the laid back seat tube pulls the whole front of the bike closer to the middle, but I may be mistaken here.

cdr
Old 05-13-08, 04:28 PM
fleetfoot
Vergelegen

Bikes: Trek 5200; Cervelo Soloist Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this subject. Today was my first chance for a ride and despite trying as hard as I could I could not cause a problem with the toe overlap. I realized that most turn is generated by leaning rather than turning the wheel unless one is almost at a dead stop. Despite considerable overlap on speedplays with my Wilier Cento there was no problem. The metal plates on the speedplay extensions feel much more solid than the original plastic ones and the pedal position is now optimal. Forza!
Old 05-13-08, 04:56 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
It's a problem for fixed gear riders; roadies just learn to coast with their feet out of the way during a slow, sharp turn.