Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Crash Program....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant Crash Program....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 06:47 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Giant Crash Program....

After a beautiful 30 mile ride I received an unsettling phone call from my
good friend who was riding with us today. Upon return home, when foisting his relatively new Carbon Fiber OCR up in his garage via a pulley system, one of the lag bolts let go and his bike came crashing down and put a gash in the top tube that yields the bike unridable. Fortunately nobody was hurt and no automobiles damaged. Timing couldn't have been worse however because he is scheduled to participate in a long ride next weekend that he had pre-registered for.

Off the top, I believe his options are:

1. Through his LBS, contact Giant and see if Giant has a crash program such that they will exchange or provide a replacement frame at cost.

2. Send the picture (see below) to Calfee repair department requesting a quote for repair.

If a member has had success with any the above or has another suggestion to help my friend, we would sure appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
OCR Top Tube.JPG (74.8 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-10-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 07:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
. when foisting his relatively new Carbon Fiber OCR up in his garage via a pulley system, one of the lag bolts let go.
Takeaway: don't screw things that bare weight in to drywall. No way if its properly anchored into a stud that a 17lb bike pulls it loose.
Old 05-10-08, 07:30 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd do 1. and 2.

+1 for Merlin's comment above.
Old 05-10-08, 07:35 PM
anthemracer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant is very good w/ warranty and crash replacment terms. Get a hold of them and best of luck
Old 05-10-08, 08:03 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Takeaway: don't screw things that bare weight in to drywall. No way if its properly anchored into a stud that a 17lb bike pulls it loose.
Understood....and he knows that as well. Quite right, dry wall will not hold a bike....has to be lag bolted to the joices.
Old 05-10-08, 08:04 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
I'd do 1. and 2.

+1 for Merlin's comment above.
Doing both #1 and #2 presumes that Giant does not accept the crashed frame as a basis to discount a new replacement. Is that so?
Thanks.
Old 05-10-08, 08:07 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by anthemracer
Giant is very good w/ warranty and crash replacment terms. Get a hold of them and best of luck
He will pursue that route through his local bike shop where he bought the bike. I was hoping someone could report the procedure for getting a crash replacement at cost through Giant. Do you know if Giant requires exchange of the crashed frame?...stands to reason they would. BTW, his fork is undamaged as is the rest of the bike.
Thanks.
Old 05-10-08, 08:17 PM
theextremist04
Seρor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in a Trek concept store, but yeah, they require the frame. But all the aluminum ones just get recycled- imagine the soda cans made out of those
Old 05-10-08, 08:17 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Doing both #1 and #2 presumes that Giant does not accept the crashed frame as a basis to discount a new replacement. Is that so?
Thanks.
My reply was based upon the assumption that you can pursue option 2 no matter what -- you're asking for an estimate based upon pictorial evidence, right?
Old 05-10-08, 08:48 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
My reply was based upon the assumption that you can pursue option 2 no matter what -- you're asking for an estimate based upon pictorial evidence, right?
I see. So what you are saying is, obtain the Giant frame replacement/exchange cost per Giant's crash program....and in parallel obtain a quote from Calfee based upon the picture...and then evaluate which option is most cost effective. Makes good sense.
Thank you.
Old 05-10-08, 08:59 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant will most likely offer a comparable frame brand new for about what one would pay on eBay. It's what happened in my case last year. I noticed a crack in the frame on return from a trip on which I used a Trisports case and checked luggage. Giant's diagnosis was that it wasn't due to a frame defect, so the best they could do was offer a frame (TCR C3 XL for ~$650).

Good luck [to your buddy?].
Old 05-10-08, 09:13 PM
markyore
markyore

Bikes: Specailized s-works E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good friend who was riding with us today. Upon return home, when foisting his relatively new Carbon Fiber OCR up in his garage via a pulley system, one of the lag bolts let go and his bike came crashing down and put a gash in the top tube that yields the bike unridable. Fortunately nobody was hurt and no automobiles damaged. Timing couldn't have been worse however because he is scheduled to participate in a long ride next weekend that he had pre-registered for.

1. Through his LBS, contact Giant and see if Giant has a crash program such that they will exchange or provide a replacement frame at cost.

2. Send the picture (see below) to Calfee repair department requesting a quote for repair.

If a member has had success with any the above or has another suggestion to help my friend, we would sure appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Hmmmm...if he gets anything from Giant he should be really appreciative! seems like theyy are VERY forth party to the incident. First.....the pulley system, second the guy who installed it, thirs the guy operating it!......really Giant did nothing wrong.
Old 05-10-08, 10:39 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
when foisting his relatively new Carbon Fiber OCR up in his garage via a pulley system, one of the lag bolts let go and his bike came crashing down
Any self-respecting BF roadie would immediately throw his flesh between carbon fiber and concrete with cat-like reflexes. Bones heal. CF doesn't.
Old 05-11-08, 04:07 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks guys. Believe we will dual path this one and see how it goes.
1. Send picture off the Calfee to obtain a repair estimate.
2. Visit LBS and see what Giant's quote for a new replacement frame is. BTW, to the poster's point about Giant having no dog in this fight...of course it wasn't any doing on Giant's part...it was an accident which do happen and steps will be taken such that it won't happen again.

I will report back what we learn in terms of price for both a replacement and a repair as a data point in the future.
Thanks again.
Old 05-11-08, 05:30 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
btw, that's "joists" not joices . . . "studs" would do fine.

just trying to help.
Old 05-11-08, 05:41 AM
Pugsly
Ride to Ride

Bikes: Fuji C7 full DA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markyore
Hmmmm...if he gets anything from Giant he should be really appreciative! ......really Giant did nothing wrong.
Agreed. But the reason that bike companies go the extra mile with frame programs is because
1. it generates huge goodwill
2. it addresses the lingering concern that people have about the strength/longevity of carbon frames compared to steel/alu/etc.

I would certainly be more likely to buy cf from a company that I knew would stand beside me in the case of an unfortunate event, and I think the bike companies recognize this.

So... no obligation at all on their part but still some good reasons for them to help you out.
Old 05-11-08, 06:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
btw, that's "joists" not joices . . . "studs" would do fine.

just trying to help.
You are a beacon. Thanks for your edification.
Old 05-11-08, 06:38 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugsly
Agreed. But the reason that bike companies go the extra mile with frame programs is because
1. it generates huge goodwill
2. it addresses the lingering concern that people have about the strength/longevity of carbon frames compared to steel/alu/etc.

I would certainly be more likely to buy cf from a company that I knew would stand beside me in the case of an unfortunate event, and I think the bike companies recognize this.

So... no obligation at all on their part but still some good reasons for them to help you out.
Its slightly more tangible then #2 you reference. It isn't as much about perception but reality that CF does not have the impact resistance of steel or aluminum or titanium that "yield" and don't fracture as readily. Translation? Hard to ride a pretzeled frame, easy to ride one with a crack or a hole in it.
Giant does it to mitigate liability and negate the reputation of people getting badly hurt on carbon fiber frames that they shouldn't be riding after they have been crashed...a common occurrence. Corporate policy generally isn't about altruism but both liability and reputation which promotes selling bikes and making money...the former being cost avoidance. All said, kudos to Giant for not only their excellent product but crash exchange program.
Old 05-11-08, 06:43 AM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the Giant crash program doesn't work out, it's more than likely covered under homeowner's or renter's insurance, minus the deductible of course.
Old 05-11-08, 06:46 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelmc
If the Giant crash program doesn't work out, it's more than likely covered under homeowner's or renter's insurance, minus the deductible of course.
Another good avenue. We discussed that option as well.
Thank you.
Old 05-11-08, 07:46 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markyore
Hmmmm...if he gets anything from Giant he should be really appreciative! seems like theyy are VERY forth party to the incident. First.....the pulley system, second the guy who installed it, thirs the guy operating it!......really Giant did nothing wrong.
That is why point #1 referred to purchasing a replacement frame under a crash replacement program instead of expecting a free replacement under warranty. No one has accused Giant of doing anything wrong.

To campag4life, best of luck with your friend's situation. If Giant requires the original frame to be returned in order to be eligible for the discounted frame, you may want to ask if they need the entire frame, or if they would accept proof that the frame has been destroyed (such as cutting out the frame's bottom bracket shell). If you want to expedite the process by sending the "evidence" by next day air, it will be far cheaper to send a BB shell than an entire frame.
Old 05-11-08, 08:02 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
That is why point #1 referred to purchasing a replacement frame under a crash replacement program instead of expecting a free replacement under warranty. No one has accused Giant of doing anything wrong.

To campag4life, best of luck with your friend's situation. If Giant requires the original frame to be returned in order to be eligible for the discounted frame, you may want to ask if they need the entire frame, or if they would accept proof that the frame has been destroyed (such as cutting out the frame's bottom bracket shell). If you want to expedite the process by sending the "evidence" by next day air, it will be far cheaper to send a BB shell than an entire frame.
More good advice. For proof, my friend is going to work through his local bike shop where he purchased the bike from whom will in turn interface with Giant. I presume as a Giant seller, returning the frame and logistics will be worked out OK.
May come down to that if a cost penalty is assessed to ship the damaged frame back to Giant as in my experience shipping frames isn't cheap so another good option.
Many thanks.

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-11-08 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-11-08, 08:12 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelmc
You don't want to make minor claims against your homeowner's insurance. It very likely will increase your rates, can get your insurance cancelled, and in the worst case make your property uninsurable.

I understand that it's lousy not to get the advantage of what you paid for. Thus the best strategy is to carry a high deductible (i.e $5,000-10,000) and keep your homeowner's insurance for the big things like the house burning down.
Old 05-11-08, 09:04 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You don't want to make minor claims against your homeowner's insurance. It very likely will increase your rates, can get your insurance cancelled, and in the worst case make your property uninsurable.

I understand that it's lousy not to get the advantage of what you paid for. Thus the best strategy is to carry a high deductible (i.e $5,000-10,000) and keep your homeowner's insurance for the big things like the house burning down.
Agree. Kind of what we discussed. Small home owner claims many times aren't cost effective in the longer term. Will likely pursue the Calfee repair or Giant replacement program.
Thanks Merlin.
Old 05-11-08, 03:01 PM
bikesdirect_com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks in advance.
After he finds out the Giant replacement frame cost; drop me a PM with his size
and I maybe able to get him a CF frame that will work for less than that; {I have no clue what the Giant replacemnt frame price is}

That is another option.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Gandhi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.