Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best winter goggles for cycling

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 02:49 PM
providencebikes
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its cold as balls , what are the best goggles you have used for the cold winter days and nights ....????

ski / snowbrd
dirt bike
mount bike
motorcycle
flight / air plane
skydiving
swim
safety

let me know why you use them plz thanks bye .....
Old 12-12-16, 04:27 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You'll get better response on the Winter Cycling forum, btw.

When it's not that cold (25-40 F), I wear cheap clear safety glasses, $3 from Harbor Freight. I need to position them just the right distance from my face so they don't fog immediately.

When it's really cold (or actively snowing), I use some Oakley ski/snowboard goggles I picked up at my local sporting goods store. They provide excellent protection, don't fog up, and have interchangeable lenses.

For longer wear in cold weather, you should get goggles with double-layered lenses to prevent fogging.

And, when wearing goggles it's important that your breath isn't directed upwards or you'll fog them. Get a balaclava or face mask that doesn't cover your mouth and nose completely. The 45Nrth Lung Cookie is a good example, its face layers are loose enough to vent your breath downwards.

Personally, I use a FaceGlove by outerU to cover my nose and cheeks, and then just a neck tube pulled up to cover my chin. That way my skin is covered but my mouth is free.
Old 12-12-16, 04:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
Thread moved from General to Winter Cycling with 3day forwarding
Old 12-12-16, 05:41 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I use some Smith ski/snowboard goggles, they work great, lenses can be changed, no fogging, and help to keep more of your face warm. I tried the wrap around glasses, they would fog and let enough air through, my eyes would water bad enough I couldn't see.
Old 12-12-16, 05:55 PM
epdarks

Bikes: various

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
For what it's worth I got some very inexpensive ski/snowboard goggles and never looked back. Under $20 and I see no reason to upgrade. Make sure to get clear lenses rather than tinted if you plan on riding at night.
Old 12-12-16, 09:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
tried skydiving goggles years ago but they fogged. drilled all edges with vent holes still fogged
Old 12-12-16, 10:14 PM
TuckamoreDew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by epdarks
For what it's worth I got some very inexpensive ski/snowboard goggles and never looked back. Under $20 and I see no reason to upgrade. Make sure to get clear lenses rather than tinted if you plan on riding at night.
Cheap ski goggles have worked well for me as well. I use these.
Old 12-13-16, 06:56 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I find ski goggles (at least the Smith ones I have) to be quite restrictive to my peripheral vision so a good helmet or handlebar mirror is essential, if you aren't using one already. It's the kind of thing you won't notice just trying a pair of goggles on in a store, but is immediately apparent when you get out on the road. I don't know if there is any winter eyewear designed with peripheral vision in mind. Motorcycles are expected to have mirrors so from what I've seen those goggles don't appear to have any more wraparound than the ski goggles.
Old 12-13-16, 07:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
best winter goggles for cycling

FWIW, see my perennial post. I have also often suggested that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!