Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Tell me to htfu

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 02:47 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tell me to htfu

I've had some horrible race results so far this season, which sucks because I've actually been trying with this whole training deal... have a kick ass coach making amazing schedules... etc...

I dont know if there is something wrong with me physically or phsycologically... I get KILLED on the slightest uphills... I'm one of the first to get dropped in a 4/5 race.. I did horrible in a tt last night.. and I have a rr with a major hill climb next weekend..

I would expect this if I weighed 200+, but I weigh ~175... my ftp is around 250-260.
Do I just need to work on my ftp and drop a few pounds? or should that w/kg be able to keep with a group on slight hills.. hillclimbs i know I'm out of.. and am I just giving up to easily?

Can you explain what it feels like when you realise you cannot keep up with the pace? do you keep trying until you cant peddle any more?

Im about depressed enough with my results to skip some races until I have a better ftp... unfortunately the spring crit series i was looking forward to was cancelled and all i have are these damn road races.. and somehow need to be in shape for mt hood and cascade classic..
Old 04-24-08, 02:49 PM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU. Getting shelled racing only makes you f'ing stronger. Now HTFU and ride until your quads explode. Repeat ad infinitum. Report your improved results here.
Old 04-24-08, 02:54 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ive been getting shelled for 3 years, finished w/ pack only on a couple flat crits and one RR where the pace wasnt too bad.... is that normal?
Old 04-24-08, 02:56 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU!

Now work on your FTP, but do it while climbing. Do your SST workouts on climbs, something around 5-6% works good for me. Shorter stuff I just power over, longer climbs gotta pace.
Old 04-24-08, 02:58 PM
kukusz
A Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
Can you explain what it feels like when you realise you cannot keep up with the pace? do you keep trying until you cant peddle any more?
Yes, the legs will just not turn over anymore. However, that can be as much mental as physical. It helps to switch from standing to sitting sometimes. If I'm sitting on a climb and realize I'm falling off the back, I often give it one last standing all out sprint to see if I can catch on before they reach the top. Sometimes it works, and sometimes you just blow up more.

Im about depressed enough with my results to skip some races until I have a better ftp... unfortunately the spring crit series i was looking forward to was cancelled and all i have are these damn road races.. and somehow need to be in shape for mt hood and cascade classic..
Do not skip any races. With an FTP of 250-260 (right around mine) you should be able to easily hang on especially during flat races if you race smart. Read CDR's recent post, FTP and wattage are not everything in a bike race.

These climbs you are getting dropped on, how long are they? If they are less than 2-3 minutes long, we are not talking about FTP being your limiter. You should really try to talk to your coach about your weaknesses and make sure he structures your training accordingly. Also, make sure when your coach gives you an interval workout that you absolutely kill yourself.

I think Friel said that one of the biggest mistakes a noobie racer makes is taking it to easy on the hard days and too hard on the easy days, make sure you avoid that.
Old 04-24-08, 03:00 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unfortunately the spring crit series i was looking forward to was cancelled and all i have are these damn road races.. and somehow need to be in shape for mt hood and cascade classic..
I wish I had that problem.

When I get dropped it's normaly just a small gap that I don't close, either by not trying hard enough or early enough. Normally the legs feel like jello, and they feel like they can't keep it up anymore.

I would focus more on shorter intervals, stull that is the same time roughly as the climbs you're getting dropped on. I would also climb many hills. Try to hide in the pack to conserve yourself whenever possible.
Old 04-24-08, 03:01 PM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly, are you sure you're not quitting?

I'm 15+lbs heavier than you and don't get dropped up hills - only climbs (FTP 330-335 now, 315 last season). I might drift back a little bit, but as soon as it flattens out I'm in contention...

Don't worry about losing weight unless you're sub 5'10 - even then...worry about making more power and racing smarter. Does your coach help you with tactics? I know of a coach whose grasp on power training is probably weaker than mine, but he can get riders results because he's been there, and done that in the days before the SRM. Tactics matter unless you're TT'ing. They matter a whole lot.
Old 04-24-08, 03:03 PM
kukusz
A Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive been getting shelled for 3 years, finished w/ pack only on a couple flat crits and one RR where the pace wasnt too bad.... is that normal?
Without knowing what your tactics are during the race, it's difficult to tell. If you are on the front and attacking or on the back and yo-yoing, I would say that yes, those results are normal. However, if you are staying in the pack and riding smoothly and out of the wind and still getting dropped, then you must either have a much lower FTP or just have really lousy ability to recover from surges. Hence the "do your intervals till you puke" advice. Sounds like you need to focus on 1-2 minute VO2 intervals perhaps.
Old 04-24-08, 03:16 PM
djbowen1

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your warming up properly?
Old 04-24-08, 03:22 PM
kniprm
Back on the Yam-Yam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you have a coach. are you not following his plans and schedules to a T? it seems impossible that you arent even getting lucky at some of these races. over-training perhaps?
Old 04-24-08, 03:25 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djbowen1
your warming up properly?
Ive been trying to, last weekend I didnt... the race had a climb (10+ min) right at the start and I got dropped.. sucked.

I normally can make it through a couple minutes of climbing pretty well..

I'll get a screenshot of my power numbers... mid-high cat 4 area for everything except ftp is in the mid cat 5 i think...

I've been scared to talk to my coach lately about my weeknesses because the last few weeks I've been slacking on the training due to my schedule.. and my poor results made me less motivated to get out there (vicious circle? lol)
Old 04-24-08, 03:27 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kniprm
you have a coach. are you not following his plans and schedules to a T? it seems impossible that you arent even getting lucky at some of these races. over-training perhaps?
I'm not... the last few weeks I have had 12+ hour scheduled and did like 6-7... this could be a lot of it, but i always hear about people racing on much less hours per week.. and I had about the same results last year on a couple hours a week.. lol.

in a few weeks I'm done with school for the summer and will be able to get the training done much better.
Old 04-24-08, 03:28 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What you need to do is start training in the hills. Go on regular hilly rides with the mountain goats on your team (or your mountain goat acquantences) and try to keep up.

In technical terms, your ftp is too low. At your weight, you need something above 300W ftp to keep up with the mountain goats on hills. To raise your ftp, do 2x20 minute interval sets and climb lots of hills. And not just the power climbs. Do stuff like 2 miles at 8% grade... significant hills that'll string you out. It'll help both your power and your hill climbing technique.

Something to motivate you... If you can get your ftp high enough to keep up with the mountain goats on 6% grades, you'll hang with them up the mountains and absolutely smoke them on the flats. And if you can sprint a bit as well, you'll start winning a fair number of races. Something I've learned in my first season racing is that the little climber types don't win many amateur races. They'll win a few with significant uphill finishes and they might get in some breakaways, but most courses favor strong riders who can sprint.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-24-08, 03:37 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
BTW, dmotoguy, you realize that they cut the Cat4 field (I assume you are Cat4) from the Mt Hood stage race, right?

Will you be at Elkhorn? If so, I'll be in your field.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-24-08, 03:49 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
I've been scared to talk to my coach lately about my weeknesses because the last few weeks I've been slacking on the training due to my schedule.. and my poor results made me less motivated to get out there (vicious circle? lol)

Those are EXACTLY the times when you DO need to talk to your coach. If you aren't getting the work in, he needs to know so he can adjust accordingly.
And sounds like its half mental to me, based on the numbers. Love the suffering...
Old 04-24-08, 03:52 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
BTW, dmotoguy, you realize that they cut the Cat4 field (I assume you are Cat4) from the Mt Hood stage race, right?

Will you be at Elkhorn? If so, I'll be in your field.
yea!, i meant elkhorn..
Old 04-24-08, 03:54 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its time for me to start climbing i guess.. I have a great loop I can do on the way home from work that has 3 great climbs one is long and steep, then a short steep, then a long easier one.. or I can go up one that is 7%? ave for 16 mi... i might start going half-way up it on the days im supposed to do hill repeats.
Old 04-24-08, 03:56 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its time for me to start climbing i guess.. I have a great loop I can do on the way home from work that has 3 great climbs one is long and steep, then a short steep, then a long easier one.. or I can go up one that is 7%? ave for 16 mi... i might start going half-way up it on the days im supposed to do hill repeats.
On that long climb, try climbing at ftp, then surge for a minute, then back to ftp. That should get your ability to recover while climbing to improve.
Old 04-24-08, 03:57 PM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll chime in here.... In Texas, all of the hills are short (almost). Thus, in most of the races, the way the group goes up hills is just to sprint up the hills. Idaho isn't as flat as Texas, but my guess is that you're getting dropped on the shorter hills. Your FTP is fine, so I'd work on some shorter duration stuff -- jumps and stuff at 1 minute or less.
Old 04-24-08, 03:59 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
7% for 16 miles? why only half of it? scale the whole thing.

Two concerns with climbing (not that I am a climber). One is cadence. What does your cadence look like when you get popped? Are you standing or seated? It is not rare to produce a much lower power output for a higher physiological stress when standing. STFD (Sit The F Down). The other thing is positioning. If you are near the front it is easy to climb slower and still be attached. Oh, and I guess a third. get used to climbing at/near threshold, surge for 10 seconds and then settle in to threshold again. You need to be able to recover at threshold when climbing.

That, and HTFU.
Old 04-24-08, 04:06 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im normally sitting when I get dropped.. i dont get out of the saddle much unless its a real short climb.

UT-dude: I can hang on the short stuff.. sometimes put the hurt on people.. minute or less is nothing for me at this point... its the 5-10+ minute stuff.

DrWJODonnell: My cadence is ok, i have a 27 in the rear so I can keep it 80+ most of the time.. unless its a wall. I'll try those threshold then surge then threshold workouts, those sound like what i really need.
Old 04-24-08, 04:06 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had some horrible race results so far this season, which sucks because I've actually been trying with this whole training deal... have a kick ass coach making amazing schedules... etc...

I dont know if there is something wrong with me physically or phsycologically... I get KILLED on the slightest uphills... I'm one of the first to get dropped in a 4/5 race.. I did horrible in a tt last night.. and I have a rr with a major hill climb next weekend..

I would expect this if I weighed 200+, but I weigh ~175... my ftp is around 250-260.
Do I just need to work on my ftp and drop a few pounds? or should that w/kg be able to keep with a group on slight hills.. hillclimbs i know I'm out of.. and am I just giving up to easily?

Dunno what "ftp" means ... Full Torque Power ???

How many miles in your legs this season? If the pack has 2,000 and you've got 500 ... yeah, bye bye!

Are you getting a good draft? Using the right gears? Are you simply blowing up - BANG!, or slipping off the back slowly??
Old 04-24-08, 04:11 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Man I wish I had that kind of climb near where I live.

I'd probably tap that once every/every other week.
Old 04-24-08, 04:12 PM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check in with me on how the Texas boy does on real climbs Wednesday of next week...
Old 04-24-08, 04:21 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Wilke
Dunno what "ftp" means ... Full Torque Power ???

How many miles in your legs this season? If the pack has 2,000 and you've got 500 ... yeah, bye bye!

Are you getting a good draft? Using the right gears? Are you simply blowing up - BANG!, or slipping off the back slowly??
ftp - functional threshold power, pretty much tt pace or how hard you can do for 1 hour.

miles this season? i have just over a thousand since i started riding again jan 1... i didnt ride after the last race of the year last september until then..

pretty good at drafting and staying in the front part of the pack.. but not pulling at the front.. i think im geared right most of the time...
it depends, in one of my races i would slip back slowly then struggle back on or to stay with them.. do that 4-5 times and then get dropped..
on another race it was just like bang!, i blew up and couldnt do anything about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.