Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Narrow MTB road tires?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Narrow MTB road tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 09:22 AM
Trouser

Bikes: Gary Fisher '09 Mako

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Narrow MTB road tires?

What are the narrowest tires i can put on a 26 inch rim? Its on a Gary fisher 09 Mako if that helps.
Old 04-01-11, 07:22 PM
24/7biker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could go down to an inch if you want. ritchey makes a 26" slick tire that comes in a 1" width. rims will accept a pretty wide range of tire sizes.
Old 04-01-11, 08:01 PM
Ludeykrus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another 26x1.00 option:

https://www.amazon.com/Primo-Racer-Ti...1709599&sr=1-9

Though seems like I remember reading somewhere that you generally don't want to go smaller than 26x1.25 on a typical MTB rim...
Old 04-05-11, 10:39 PM
oneofpr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did that one time and ended selling the road tires, it looked horrible. It is ok to get road tires, but stay within 2 inches or more. The difference in speed is very minimal, besides more punctures etc as there is a reason why use a mtb for the road.

Have a clean drivetrain, the wheels trued and proper air pressure to get good average speeds.
Old 04-06-11, 03:08 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
i have 1.95in road tires on my mtb and it looks good, rides fast, and most importantly, the ride is super smooth with the fat tires. plus with fatter tires you can still handle grass and other surfaces that you're used to being able to ride on with your mtb

get some Big Apples or kenda k838 tires around 2 inches, you'll be stoked
Old 04-09-11, 11:45 AM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 1.25" Ritchey road tires on a spare set of rims. The bike rolls really fast and handles pretty well on pavement, but the wheels look comically small on the bike, kinda ridiculous. Next time I think I'll go with a wider tire so that I can still handle the grass.
Old 04-10-11, 05:58 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Skinny is for roadrace bikes. But only because the frake/brake clearance won`t let them mount wide tires. Touring and hybrid rigs will and do use wider tires.

My own latest build is a mtb base with 2.3in BMX tires. Geax Tattoos to be exact. Quiet and fast on the asphalt, no chance of running out of tread when cornering hard and wide enought to do trails and grass no problem. I have bikes with 25mm and 35mm and 1 3/4in tires and for city use the Tattoos beat them all. A Schwalbe Marathon Supreme might be just as nice in a 50mm size but its twice the price too.
Old 04-10-11, 05:59 PM
sprice37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put some Continental Tour Rides on my Trek Marlin for the road. At 32mm and 40mm front and rear I do not think they look bad and the ride is great. Plus at about 10 minutes to change tires the Bontragers at 2.1 inch for trails change out nicely. Look before function not here.
Old 04-11-11, 08:55 PM
Ludeykrus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneofpr
I did that one time and ended selling the road tires, it looked horrible. It is ok to get road tires, but stay within 2 inches or more. The difference in speed is very minimal, besides more punctures etc as there is a reason why use a mtb for the road.
Not really.

Road slicks look decent, roll considerably faster, last longer, corner better, puncture less (for me), and are quieter than knobbies on the road.

Oh, and they look decent.

Here's what I use on a spare wheelset for when I want the low gearing for the road:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-20x1-50-...2576482&sr=1-5

I think there's a high pressure 100 psi version and a lower psi version, go for the higher. The 1.5" width is the perfect compromise, IMO.