Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cleaning the sides of my rims - best methods and tools? And new pads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 09:47 AM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

All,

So the pads that came with my "new-to-me-but-4-year-old" bike are black, and they are starting to leave black strips on the sides of my aluminum rims. Also, I think after 6 weeks of daily commuting, they are starting to score the sides of the rims too. Either way, the sides of rims are feeling rough and braking isn't smooth like it used to be.

It seems to me that a good cleaning of the sides of the rims is called for. I would ordinarily use some Goo-Gone or Goof-Off to get rid of the black brake pad remnants, and then move to very fine steel wool to smooth down the sides of the rims.

And then I guess I'd go with a set of salmon-colored Cool Stops front and rear. (The bike has V-brakes.)

Does all this sound about right, or are there new techniques and pads that have been shown to be better in the 20 years since I used to be a bike mechanic?

Thanks,
Warr
Old 05-05-11, 09:52 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I'd agree with all you plan to do. If the rims are getting chewed up, you may have some metal fragments or small rocks embedded in the pads. Check the pads regularly to make sure nothing is stuck in there that can damage the braking surface of the rim.
Old 05-05-11, 09:59 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I have taken a file to older brake pads and found that it has helped quite a bit. I don't worry too much about how the rims look, as long as they're not getting scored. My cheap screwdriver set came with a set of sharp picks/probes. I use these every so often to do some "dental work" on the pads and remove those little bits that they pick up.
Old 05-05-11, 10:02 AM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like the pads were cleaned with some type of
solvent. Replacements are in order. Black pads shouldn't
leave any permanent marks on the rims. They should
be cleaned with hot soapy water and checked for rocks.

Don't try to get the rims too shiny, it will add to the squeak
problem. Scotch Brite pads are great for cleaning rim, the red
ones with soap and water.
Old 05-05-11, 10:02 AM
Woodwind314

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
All,

So the pads that came with my "new-to-me-but-4-year-old" bike are black, and they are starting to leave black strips on the sides of my aluminum rims. Also, I think after 6 weeks of daily commuting, they are starting to score the sides of the rims too. Either way, the sides of rims are feeling rough and braking isn't smooth like it used to be.

It seems to me that a good cleaning of the sides of the rims is called for. I would ordinarily use some Goo-Gone or Goof-Off to get rid of the black brake pad remnants, and then move to very fine steel wool to smooth down the sides of the rims.
Hm, I don't know about using steel wool. To the very least, use stainless steel wool.

If you want to smooth your rim sides, there is a better way (although i wouldn't do that on a regular basis as it accelerates rim wear):

1) Get some old (worn) brake pads.
2) Sand the braking surface of the pads real flat & smooth, perpendicular to the fastening bolts.
3) glue some very fine and quality sandpaper onto the pads braking surface (maybe a 320 or even 400 grit)
4) mount these pads on your brakes and adjust them well.
5) ride a few kilometers with the brake just dragging a bit

This can also be used to sand off slight bumps, for example at a rim joint.

Most important, though, in daily use & care: always inspect and clean the brake shoes for embedded road grit. This is the stuff that kills your rims.

You can also reduce wear, especially on wet rides, if you just tap the brakes a few times before you really apply pressure. That gets rid of most of the grit and grime that has accumulated on the rim and pads.

Don't use degreaser or solvents to clean the rims. They will be clean - maybe too clean, resulting in brake squeal and chatter.

PS: Loosen the brakes mounting bolt (side or center pull brakes) somewhat for this procedure, so that the brake can follow any out-of-trueness of the rim. Don't attempt to do this with a significantly out-of-true wheel.

Last edited by Woodwind314; 05-05-11 at 10:11 AM. Reason: 2nd thought
Old 05-05-11, 10:20 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
If your commute has been in some wet weather than the black on the rims is from dirt and is also some of the aluminium that the brake pads grind away. With rim brake systems the rim is considered a consumable item. They'll wear sooner from riding in wet weather but they'll still last for many, many miles. Just try to keep the bike reasonably clean through the worst of the wet seasons. I generally find that by the end of a week of continuous wet weather commuting at 15 to 20 kms per day that the brakes are sounding pretty darn gritty and my conscience tells me to wash the bike and clean and lube the chain.

If the rims are becomeing badly scored I'll bet you're using stock Shimano or stock Tektro pads. If I'm right then remove and toss as far as you can. Or give them to someone you really hate. These pads have a reputation for galling the rims if the rider is of medium or heavier size and weight. Lightweight riders don't need to squeeze as hard and they can get away with using these pads. If this is your situation then a change to salmon Koolstops will cure the grinding and reduce but not eliminate the black goo buildup.

Washing the wheels and pads is just a soap and water deal applied with a stiff scrub brush and some elbow grease. For the pads and around the brake arms an old stiff bristle toothbrush does a fine job. With the salmon Koolstops I've not had to resort to fileing the pad faces at all as I have rarely seen them pick up any pebbles or bits of coarse sand. And for those rare times they did a small pick or a small stainless steel "toothbrush" from the hardware store cleaned it away easily.
Old 05-05-11, 01:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use the shimano DA and XTR shoes depending on the bike. They are the beat overall pads you can buy.
I clean the rims with either soap and water or solvent and a Scottbrite pad.
Old 05-05-11, 03:21 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a bit of denatured alcohol on a paper towl, followed by a scotch brite pad for anything stubbourn. Check your pads for rocks and grit. Kool Stop salmon pads don't leave reside on my rims. Be careful with alcohol or other solvents around rim stickers, paint, graphics, etc.
Old 05-05-11, 03:37 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
It's not really a good idea to clean rims with any solvents other than perhaps alchohal. Most solvents will attack the rubber of the tires so it's not wise to use them. And all you need to clean rims is simple detergent and water anyway. Alchohal will work but it's a pricey way to do the job. Just a good scrub with some detergent and water followed by a rinse and you're done.
Old 05-05-11, 06:02 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Woodwind314
Hm, I don't know about using steel wool. To the very least, use stainless steel wool.

If you want to smooth your rim sides, there is a better way (although i wouldn't do that on a regular basis as it accelerates rim wear):

1) Get some old (worn) brake pads.
2) Sand the braking surface of the pads real flat & smooth, perpendicular to the fastening bolts.
3) glue some very fine and quality sandpaper onto the pads braking surface (maybe a 320 or even 400 grit)
4) mount these pads on your brakes and adjust them well.
5) ride a few kilometers with the brake just dragging a bit

This can also be used to sand off slight bumps, for example at a rim joint.

Most important, though, in daily use & care: always inspect and clean the brake shoes for embedded road grit. This is the stuff that kills your rims.

You can also reduce wear, especially on wet rides, if you just tap the brakes a few times before you really apply pressure. That gets rid of most of the grit and grime that has accumulated on the rim and pads.

Don't use degreaser or solvents to clean the rims. They will be clean - maybe too clean, resulting in brake squeal and chatter.

PS: Loosen the brakes mounting bolt (side or center pull brakes) somewhat for this procedure, so that the brake can follow any out-of-trueness of the rim. Don't attempt to do this with a significantly out-of-true wheel.
I'm not an expert bike mechanic, but this list of advice seems apt to severely damage or wear your rims. Riding a few kilometers with sandpaper grinding down your soft alloy rims? Even with such a fine grit, it seems like a bad idea. Also, I would think that loosening the pads so they flop around is a recipe for chattering or uneven wearing down of the rim.
Old 05-17-11, 04:36 AM
Woodwind314

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
I'm not an expert bike mechanic, but this list of advice seems apt to severely damage or wear your rims. Riding a few kilometers with sandpaper grinding down your soft alloy rims? Even with such a fine grit, it seems like a bad idea. Also, I would think that loosening the pads so they flop around is a recipe for chattering or uneven wearing down of the rim.
The idea is to smoothen a rough rim (presumably caused by riding in wet & dirty conditions), not a cleaning procedure. Yes, it will take some material off the rim. How much is entirely in your own hands, literally - through the brake handles.

I didn't say to loosen the pad (brake shoe) bolts, but the center mounting bolt. (Only the slightest bit, it should not be really loose) This will allow the whole caliper to follow any wheel untrueness and lateral flex.

I've done this twice on my (old) campy scirocco wheels with very good results. The rims get an almost 'machined' surface.
Old 05-17-11, 06:11 AM
jeepr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Soap, water and 0000 steel wool.
Old 05-17-11, 06:35 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
All,

And then I guess I'd go with a set of salmon-colored Cool Stops front and rear. (The bike has V-brakes.)

Does all this sound about right, or are there new techniques and pads that have been shown to be better in the 20 years since I used to be a bike mechanic?

Thanks,
Warr
Not much has changed. Personally I use soap and water and waterproof sandpaper, but steel wool or a ScotchBrite will also do the job. And salmon KoolStops are whats on my cantilevers too.
Old 05-17-11, 07:18 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Warr, I tried dishwashing soap and red Scotchbrite followed with white Scotchbrite when I cleaned a set of rims recently. Worked very well. Prior to that I'd used green Scotchbrite and dishwashing soap, which also worked well, but took longer.

Brad