Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter bike recommendation?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 01:50 PM
pocket_kings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all -

Very new to cycling as a commuter, and have been trying to select a good bike, but I'm not getting very far. I was hoping to get a recommendation from you knowledgeable folks!

My commute is only 3 miles on paved sidewalk and trails. I will be in office attire. There are a few serious hills along the way. I will be leaving it chained at the metro station I commute to.

Based on that, I know i'd need something with fenders and maximum chain guarding to prevent office clothes from getting dirty. I have a budget of about $600.

I was thinking about a Trek FX 7.2, but it feels like overkill given i'm only biking 6 miles a day. Granted it would be nice to have such a capable bike for longer non-commute rides.

Thanks,

Aaron

Last edited by pocket_kings; 05-22-12 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 01:52 PM
Sir_Eats_Alot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Dahon Speed Uno for commuting and threw a rack/fenders on it, total spent = 500 USD including new saddle. I needed a foldable bike to throw onto the train ( I work on the other side of a river.. commute would be 2 hrs if I went around the long way)
Old 05-22-12, 02:20 PM
pocket_kings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an interesting bike. Seems to work perfectly for your situation.

I wouldn't need a foldable bike though as I'm not taking it on the train with me. I'll just be locking it up with the rest of the bikes at the train station.
Old 05-22-12, 02:39 PM
tar wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are in similar situations, though my commute is completely paved. I purchased this last year and have been very happy with it:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sex_deluxe.htm

It's a comfortable ride (in fact, I just rode 30 miles on it last weekend), and it's cheap enough that, if it's stolen, it's not the end of the world. I think it would probably serve you well, and it looks very classic in person.
Old 05-22-12, 02:58 PM
pocket_kings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been on a single speed, but I would have to guess hills on that would be less than desirable.

Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.bikestoreguys.com/product....0.0/Uptown_EX
Old 05-22-12, 03:06 PM
tar wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pocket_kings
I've never been on a single speed, but I would have to guess hills on that would be less than desirable.
It's a 3-speed, with an internal gear hub. That means you can shift standing still, which is handy at stoplights. I take on a few hills during my commute, and I took on some very large hills during the long ride, and it wasn't a problem.
Old 05-22-12, 03:12 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forums, Pocket_Kings!

IMHO, I think that a folder would be perfect for you. If you were to get a Dahon or Bike Friday perhaps, you wouldn't have to worry about theft, abuse, or vandalism at the train station. Since folders are almost always permitted on trains and buses, I don't forsee the use of a folder, as being a problem.

You only have approximately three miles of commute to the train station. IMO that's just perfect for a folder. However, if you are absolutely opposed to a folder, I think that the next best thing would be a used bike, with the capacity to take on both rack and fenders. That would require close monitoring of your local Craigslist.
Make certain that you take someone with you who is knowledgeable about bikes. They should inspect the bike both before, and after you test-ride it for twenty minutes.

There's also this option at rei.com:
The Diamondback Insight ~ $400
www.rei.com/product/832975/diamondback-insight-hybrid-bike-2012-special-buy
The Insight still looks too good for the train station...

As for me personally, at the train station, I'd either buy used, or purchase the Schwinn Admiral.

PS.

I wouldn't leave that Breezer at the train station...

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-22-12 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 04:12 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on that, I know i'd need something with fenders and maximum chain guarding to prevent office clothes from getting dirty. I have a budget of about $600.
You could get a bike with a belt drive to keep clean, and an internal hub for the hills.

2012 Specialized Source Eleven Commuter Bike

Old 05-22-12, 04:16 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
You could get a bike with a belt drive to keep clean, and an internal hub for the hills.

2012 Specialized Source Eleven Commuter Bike

For under $600?

I think the incorrect link was given for the Windsor three-speed. It's this one:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ord_deluxe.htm
Old 05-22-12, 07:57 PM
pocket_kings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Specialized Source Eleven bike is $2,750. For a commuter bike. Geez.

Anyways, thanks for posting the correct link for the Winsor Oxford Deluxe three speed. It comes it at $350. The Breezer is $470. I don't know enough about components to compare, but the Breezer looks better, and is 7 speed. But i'm wondering....

...I see a lot of concern online about bike theft. If I get a legit bike lock, like a U-Bar (currently i have a long wirey thing, which I have learned is not really that good), isn't that enough? Can't I rest easy that my Breezer is going to be there at the train station where i left it? Are people getting their bikes stolen even after locking them properly? Or is it just a vocal unfortunate few...
Old 05-22-12, 08:02 PM
erg79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what it's like in DC, but in most major cities, yes, bike theft is a sad reality. A U-lock is essential for most cities. For the kind of commute you laid out, and that you'll be leaving it at a high-traffic area for most of the day, I'd say that a more affordable Bikes Direct bike, like the Windsor Oxford three speed, or a Craigslist bike is the way to go.

But something that I just thought of--you're in DC. Is the bike share you have there a possibility for your commute? Also, most transportation systems allow you to bring bikes on board (with possibly some restrictions)--could you take your bike on the Metro with you? Also, are there any bike lockers at your Metro stop?
Old 05-22-12, 08:28 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just started commuting myself, so here are my thoughts:

Questions:

Is it possible for you to rent a bike locker at your station? $200 a year seems reasonable cost to better secure your bike.
Can you change clothes and clean yourself up at work, versus trying to stay clean on the road? If not, you may want fenders.

Advice:
Invest in good safety gear. Get a helmet that fits, a good rear light (I like and own Cygolite the USB model), wear bright clothing.
I wouldn't invest in racks or panniers for a 3 mile ride. Try a backpack.
Single speeds can be less expensive for new and they are easier to maintain. I own a Trek Soho S single speed. It isn't the fastest, but it's just pedal and go.

For me, a bike has to pass the eye test. I know that when I saw my bike in the store, it was for me. Perhaps others can just ride whatever, but for me, it is not just a piece of equipment. It's my bike.

I can't speak to theft. I'm lucky that I get to store my bike in a secure area.
Old 05-22-12, 08:37 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Specialized Source Eleven bike is $2,750. For a commuter bike. Geez.

Anyways, thanks for posting the correct link for the Winsor Oxford Deluxe three speed. It comes it at $350. The Breezer is $470. I don't know enough about components to compare, but the Breezer looks better, and is 7 speed. But i'm wondering....

I see a lot of concern online about bike theft. If I get a legit bike lock, like a U-Bar (currently i have a long wirey thing, which I have learned is not really that good), isn't that enough? Can't I rest easy that my Breezer is going to be there at the train station where i left it? Are people getting their bikes stolen even after locking them properly? Or is it just a vocal unfortunate few...
Any kind of bike lock is only a deterrent. It's not a guarantee that your bike won't get stolen! However, if you have a really good lock and a really crappy looking bike, that's practically a guarantee, right there! That's especially confirmed as a guarantee, when you park your crappy looking bike, with a really great lock, right next to a beautiful bike, with a really cheap lock.
Old 05-22-12, 08:39 PM
pocket_kings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike lockers at this location are actually about that, $200 a year. Bike sharing is unfortunately not an option in my area.

My goal is to not have to change and i think that's doable since my commute is only 3 miles. For now, i'll be shooting for something with fenders and chain guard.

Trek Soho S is well reviewed. It's also a sexy looking bike. I guess i'd need to find a way to add fenders to it.

The Windsor Oxford looks so plain. And the handlebar seem odd, pointed back towards the rider. Not sure if that's comfortable or not.
Old 05-22-12, 09:19 PM
erg79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The swept-back handlebars are some of the oldest style handlebars there are. They're in a style called North Road handlebars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle..._or_North_Road) and are traditional to roadster bikes that were based on practicality. The Windsor bike is based on this classic style, which is having a resurgence in popularity.

The swept-back bars would be good for a short ride like what you're looking to have. They'll be comfortable on short trips, and will give you a upright riding position--meaning that you'll be seen in traffic. You won't be winning any races, but you'll be relaxed.
Old 05-22-12, 10:38 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erg79
The swept-back handlebars are some of the oldest style handlebars there are. They're in a style called North Road handlebars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle..._or_North_Road) and are traditional to roadster bikes that were based on practicality. The Windsor bike is based on this classic style, which is having a resurgence in popularity.

The swept-back bars would be good for a short ride like what you're looking to have. They'll be comfortable on short trips, and will give you a upright riding position--meaning that you'll be seen in traffic. You won't be winning any races, but you'll be relaxed.
I tried swept-back bars (Oxford bars in my case) a few weeks ago, and did find them to be very comfortable. However, I also discovered that they made the bike a bit harder to control on hills and in tight spots, and went back to drop bars in less than a week. Three miles isn't much, and in office attire you're not going to be pushing it anyway, but if you have hills, broken pavement or other obstacles, this is something worth thinking about: if you move the center of gravity back, you gain comfort but pay for it with less control and maneuverability.
Old 05-23-12, 01:57 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Do people really leave bikes chained up in the DC area? Wow. Perhaps looking for a used bike on Craigslist might be a good choice. Any bike that looks shiny and new will attract attention. Can you inquire to see how many bikes are stolen from that location?
Old 05-23-12, 07:24 AM
pocket_kings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should be clear, i'm commuting from the suburbs into the city, not actually living in the city. It's a nice area of the metro region, probably not what you're thinking when you think DC.

I stopped by the bike racks this morning to inspect what the other riders use. I was fairly surprised to see very old bikes, beat up mountain bikes, nothing that looks good or expensive at all. I guess everyone else has the same concern about theft. Even the Windsor Oxford will stand out against this bunch of bikes.
Old 05-23-12, 07:38 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
over here, most people leave bikes chained at the main train stations (hundreds to well over a thousand) or at the individual subway stops (and most subway stops have a bike rack built in or relatively close). if you're doing this, hit up CL and get something that rides well and looks like crap. do NOT buy something new. anyone with half a brain will notice the pattern that the bike is left there every evening and steal it.

if you ride the bike home every day, I would buy something new or lightly used.
Old 05-23-12, 07:48 AM
SkippyX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen guys grind the paint off of their nice bikes to keep thieves from recognizing a nice bike.
Old 05-23-12, 08:08 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO you've got four options:

1) Buy the bike of your choice and take a big risk getting it stolen.

2) Buy a used bike and take less of a risk of getting it stolen.

3) Buy a Schwinn Admiral. Spray paint it matte black and not care that much if it gets stolen.

4) Buy a decent folder. Ride in comfort, style, and the reassurance that it won't be stolen, unless at gunpoint!
Old 05-23-12, 08:15 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Personally, I would consider going the used bike from Craigslist route. You have a short commute into the city
and are going to leave your bike locked up all day at the metro station. Why take the chance with a new,
expensive bike when an old soldier will fit the bill?

You mentioned you took a stroll through the bike racks and saw all kinds of bikes being used for commuting.
An older bike is less expensive, isn't as much of a hit when it gets stolen, and can be made into a commuter
with little fuss and financial expenditure.

With a little clothing precautions you can ride to work and still look nice and presentable; I think you'll do just fine.

As always the key is how the bike fits, and if it places you in a comfortable riding position. Don't skimp on those
two factors no matter what bike you decide on.
Old 05-23-12, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pushes past your price point, but Brompton bikes fold up small enough
to fit under your desk, in your cubicle..
a long term investment bike.. ridden around the globe..