Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Captain's Crank Suggestions

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 10:08 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

My wife and I bought a 1999 Cannondale RT1000 about six months ago. We have it working pretty well for us, but I don't like the standard 170mm captain's cranks. I am used to 172.5 or 175mm cranks, and the RT's 170mm cranks make me feel like I'm riding a little kid's bike.

I believe the bottom bracket is a "square taper" type. Here's a picture. (It's not our bike, but just like it).

I haven't found any Shimano "square taper" captain's cranks online. The new Shimano and FSA cranks seem to use a different bottom bracket. Sugino cranks seem to be readily available through Amazon and eBay. I have also checked on da Vinci cranks.

<> How do the Sugino cranks compare to the da Vinci cranks?

<> Are there any other options?

The captain's timing chain ring and bottom bracket are just fine, so I am just looking for cranks.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
578353288_o.jpg (59.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-11-13, 11:42 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwandaw
My wife and I bought a 1999 Cannondale RT1000 about six months ago. We have it working pretty well for us, but I don't like the standard 170mm captain's cranks. I am used to 172.5 or 175mm cranks, and the RT's 170mm cranks make me feel like I'm riding a little kid's bike. I believe the bottom bracket is a "square taper" type. Here's a picture. (It's not our bike, but just like it). I haven't found any Shimano "square taper" captain's cranks online. The new Shimano and FSA cranks seem to use a different bottom bracket. Sugino cranks seem to be readily available through Amazon and eBay. I have also checked on da Vinci cranks. <> How do the Sugino cranks compare to the da Vinci cranks?

<> Are there any other options? The captain's timing chain ring and bottom bracket are just fine, so I am just looking for cranks. Thanks!
OP; Since you have a c'Dale, recommend looking on their site for spindle specifics of what it was shipped with or call them... But don't assume it hasn't been changed out for some other brand (sound familar?). Also, the required spindle lenght is more confined by the crankset more than the bike.

On the side; Several sets of cranks and complete cranksets were on ebay for the last 2 weeks or so. Some cheap, some scary spenduful. A few were tandem specific listings. You may need to get each side separately as they are sometimes listed that way. It may be cheaper to buy a complete crankset than just the cranks themselves. Just search on Shimano +tandem +crank and dig around from there. As long as both your front cranks match the bottom bracket type that fits your frame then there is no shame to having square taper on the rear and octalink or isis on the front (no one will care or notice).

To your question; I can't tell if it is square taper or something else. If you remove the mounting bolt cover or take the picture from the back side of the crank... we could see one way or the other.

Basically a tandem's front spindle length is dependent on the NDS spindle length that just happens to have been installed on the rear. No real science to it from my experience.

If you need new BB's; Once you have confirmed yours is square taper, then get on ebay and search on this string; Shimano +square +bottom. Real Shimano ones were running about $6-12 each, but look for those with the NDS cup in metal instead of in plastic. Given how cheap they are; I would suggest just getting a 118mm and see if its too long or too short. They run from about 110mm through 129mm or so. ebay price is about the same regardless of length. Haven't seen any marked as tandem specific, but once you have it all sorted, you would want to buy a full spare anyway incase it wears out or breaks 5-10 from now..
Old 02-11-13, 12:01 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mwandaw
My wife and I bought a 1999 Cannondale RT1000 about six months ago. We have it working pretty well for us, but I don't like the standard 170mm captain's cranks. I am used to 172.5 or 175mm cranks, and the RT's 170mm cranks make me feel like I'm riding a little kid's bike.

I believe the bottom bracket is a "square taper" type. Here's a picture. (It's not our bike, but just like it).

I haven't found any Shimano "square taper" captain's cranks online. The new Shimano and FSA cranks seem to use a different bottom bracket. Sugino cranks seem to be readily available through Amazon and eBay. I have also checked on da Vinci cranks.

<> How do the Sugino cranks compare to the da Vinci cranks?

<> Are there any other options?

The captain's timing chain ring and bottom bracket are just fine, so I am just looking for cranks.

Thanks!
I have a set of 175 mm long FSA Gossamer cranks that only have a few miles on them and would sell them for $100 plus shipping. Shortly after I bought them I got a good deal on a new set of Shimano cranks and have the old cranks in a box. The package contains the complete assembly, bottom bracket cups etc. Pictures available upon request.

Wayne
wthais@mchsi.com
Old 02-11-13, 12:25 PM
WheelsNT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
We have a Cannondale about that same vintage with what look to be those same cranks. They are square taper. They're basically the same as the 105 cranks from that vintage, just with the pedal holes threaded for tandem use.

Last edited by WheelsNT; 02-11-13 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 08:23 PM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
There is a Truvativ Elita Tandem crankset in 175 captain and 170 stoker on tandemmag classified.
Old 02-12-13, 09:23 AM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of Sugino Fuse 500 cranks, square taper, 175mm that I'm not using. I actually went from these to 170mm ... I'm somewhat vertically challenged. I would be happy to send you pics if you want.

Henry
Old 02-17-13, 11:12 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a new set of Specialites TA Captain cranks in 170 mm. They are beautiful, extremely well made and very light. Never installed... Sorry they are not longer...
Old 02-18-13, 09:38 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I have a few pairs of brand-new (NOS) Shimano Deore DX MT-60 captain's cranks available. They are 175mm, properly drilled for tandem use (pedals), take square-taper BBs, and include a new 38t Shimano timing ring (110 bcd). I'll sell for $25 a set, shipping additional. These are really nice, high-quality forged cranks. PM me here or e-mail brian (at) brianwasson (dot) com.