Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Fishing Trip on Bike

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Fishing Trip on Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 04:08 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Fishing Trip on Bike

I'm going to buy a fishing rod holder for my MTB I didn't know they existed, but I checked and found one on amazon. A large internal frame pack should take care of everything else. Has anyone figured out an arrangement for a fishing rod?

Old 04-18-24, 04:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I'm going to buy a fishing rod holder for my MTB I didn't know they existed, but I checked and found one on amazon. A large internal frame pack should take care of everything else. Has anyone figured out an arrangement for a fishing rod?
Several ways to mount a rod. Fish are a little more challenging.

I broke my rod down and carried it across the bars.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-18-24, 06:57 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 3,814 Times in 1,869 Posts
All the biking fisherman here carry the rod in one hand, tackle box in the other, while riding. Often rod is broken down and across the bars, but not always. As for fish, they seem to just go on a stringer, also carried while riding, must be in the third hand? More than once I have seen a biker with just a rod and lure head down to the water and return riding one handed, rod over shoulder, fish still on the lure.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-19-24, 10:55 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,619 Times in 1,235 Posts
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-19-24, 02:37 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

SoCal, that sounds okay if you are right next to the water, but the ocean access point is 9 miles away. Downtube42 and curbtender, that might work, but I have a 10' Eagle Claw Starfire, so that's about 3' sticking out from the front of my bike. Also, the toptube on my MTB is pretty short and it's sloped. I do like the idea of breaking the rod down before carrying, though. With the manufactured rod-holder, the butt of the assembled rod fits into a vertical tube. Not bad, because it even has a slot for the (spinning) reel stem. I saw one video of a guy who heat-formed PVC to make both the mount and the rod holder. The things we do for mackeral!

Last edited by 1989Pre; 04-19-24 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-19-24, 04:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,619 Times in 1,235 Posts
The bungee keeps it from rattling around. If you are running through heavier bush it might be an issue but on open trail I have no problem. The picture is at a more secluded bay point with a clam bed that attracts stripers, among other species. On San Pablo bay.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-22-24, 09:26 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
If it didn't come apart, I would probably try to strap it to the top tube with the handle and reel forward, either just behind or just ahead of the stem. I figure the shaft would be close enough to the seat post that my thighs wouldn't touch it. Might be a bit awkward if I had a trunk bag on the rear rack.
Likes For cooker:
Old 04-22-24, 11:31 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by curbtender
The bungee keeps it from rattling around. If you are running through heavier bush it might be an issue but on open trail I have no problem. The picture is at a more secluded bay point with a clam bed that attracts stripers, among other species. On San Pablo bay.
Your horizontal top tube probably helps keep things from sliding around too much. I'll have to get some short bungees and see if I can get things cinched down really tight. It is just smooth road ride, but a rather long one.

cooker: Besides not causing abrasion to the rod, I'd also like to be cautious about the bike finish. I had it powder-coated a couple years ago, and it is holding up well. It would all depend on how tight I could get the bungees.

Just a mock-up. This just might work. Bike will be in its summer clothing, with slick tires and a rigid fork, but same basically.

Fortuitously, rod butt rests dead-center on diagonal support of rear rack, eliminating any potential for slippage.

Reel seats could cause damage to my orange sparkle finish. I'll think of something thin to put there.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 04-22-24 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-22-24, 02:00 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Your horizontal top tube probably helps keep things from sliding around too much. I'll have to get some short bungees and see if I can get things cinched down really tight. It is just smooth road ride, but a rather long one.

cooker: Besides not causing abrasion to the rod, I'd also like to be cautious about the bike finish. I had it powder-coated a couple years ago, and it is holding up well. It would all depend on how tight I could get the bungees.
Like some others, I was thinking of my road bike with a horizontal top tube, and the tip of rod facing backwards above the rear tire. It's also a vintage bike with a patina, so not too worried about wear and tear to the finish. I realize that with a tilted top tube, the rod has to point forwards. Hopefully no pedestrians will step in front of you and get skewered!

I don't fish, but what about a collapsible or telescoping rod for bike trips?
Likes For cooker:
Old 04-22-24, 03:37 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by cooker
Like some others, I was thinking of my road bike with a horizontal top tube, and the tip of rod facing backwards above the rear tire. It's also a vintage bike with a patina, so not too worried about wear and tear to the finish. I realize that with a tilted top tube, the rod has to point forwards. Hopefully no pedestrians will step in front of you and get skewered!

I don't fish, but what about a collapsible or telescoping rod for bike trips?
Yes, I see what you mean: A pack rod would be more sensible, but I suppose being cheap does have its advantages.

Old 04-22-24, 04:50 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 90 Posts
Long ago, there was a device called "The Pocket Fisherman". Marketed by TV commercials and mail order. Check and see if they are still available.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 04-25-24, 01:46 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Long ago, there was a device called "The Pocket Fisherman". Marketed by TV commercials and mail order. Check and see if they are still available.
Yeah, I remember those TV commercials. LOL They look like they'd be okay for ice fishing.

Old 04-25-24, 02:03 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Yeah, I remember those TV commercials. LOL They look like they'd be okay for ice fishing.

Old 04-29-24, 04:12 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 3,814 Times in 1,869 Posts
I just came from another thread to share the same, thanks to @squirtdad
Original - https://www.ebay.com/itm/176322851901? - As cool as it looks, all accounts seem to say it was a bad idea and not actually something you would want to use.

Currently available new! https://www.ronco.com/products/ronco-pocket-fisherman
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-29-24, 05:03 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by SoCaled
As cool as it looks, all accounts seem to say it was a bad idea and not actually something you would want to use.
Yeah, I knew a lot of fishermen in the 70's, and I don't know anyone who ever bought one. I'll stick with my trolling rod.

Old 04-29-24, 06:05 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 78 Posts

Google “cape cod canal bike fishing” images. Tons of set-ups. I have one.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 04-29-24, 07:51 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 382 Posts

Just a mock-up. This just might work. Bike will be in its summer clothing, with slick tires and a rigid fork, but same basically.

Fortuitously, rod butt rests dead-center on diagonal support of rear rack, eliminating any potential for slippage.

Reel seats could cause damage to my orange sparkle finish. I'll think of something thin to put there.
Have you tried putting the butt end of the rod at the end of the rack and then tying it down to the top tube where it meets the head tube. It won't be parallel to the sloping top tube but there's no reason it has to be.

That will shorten the length in front of the bike considerably. You can even have the butt end of the rod hanging off the back of the rack 6-8 inches to shorten it even further.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 04-29-24, 08:11 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by john m flores
Have you tried putting the butt end of the rod at the end of the rack and then tying it down to the top tube where it meets the head tube. It won't be parallel to the sloping top tube but there's no reason it has to be.

That will shorten the length in front of the bike considerably. You can even have the butt end of the rod hanging off the back of the rack 6-8 inches to shorten it even further.
That's an idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that.