Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

City bike shares better than having your own bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

City bike shares better than having your own bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 03:54 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Tough audience.

(still angling for the last word)
I wouldn't give up just yet. Your post was insightful and honest. The hijackers who want to argue every little detail outside the intent of your post should not have the last word.
Old 09-10-13, 04:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Fine, a zip car is not as nice as a BMW. Changes nothing in my post. But still you rent by the 1/2 hour like a hotel room verses a home or even an apartment. It is better for people who like their equipment to be of higher quality and performance to have that quality and performance. have you ever looked at all of the rules to bike share? Sure it fine "if" there is a station close to where you want to go. But have you looked into what happens when you have a flat? You are responsible for calling customer service, you are responsible for making sure it is locked up. Those of us who love our bikes and like to ride them carry a tube or patch kit and can change a tire. By the time customer service got to you, another birthday could come and go. If the station is full and you can't check in your bike you are responsible for getting the bike to another station. I hope you aren't late for work. As I said it may have a place but it sure isn't better than having your own bike. And for those who love bikes, adequate is not good enough and putting up with is not the same as enjoying the ride. Some side reading might help with this debate:
https://www.bcycle.com/bknowledge.aspx

Look at what the renters responsibility can be if the bike isn't returned on time, if you have a flat, if you are in an accident. Better than having your own bike? Only if you don't want your own bike and are primarily a pedestrian. If I lived where one was needed I would use a folder, that fit me and what I expect in a machine or tool.
Sure, mobile155, you can always win an argument when you attack a proposition that nobody has offered. Nobody here has argued that bikeshare bikes are better quality than those you can own. Nobody here is forcing you to rent the damned things if you don't like the terms of service or don't find them convenient. So why do you feel the need to tell us all the terrible things about programs that many people use and enjoy? Several people here are singing the praises of these programs as additions to their personal-bike use or as serving a community of bike-users beyond those who choose to own and maintain their own bicycles. And some people here have said that for some users, taking advantage of a bikeshare program is better than owning a bike. Is that not OK with you?

These programs are proliferating because they are popular. Maybe there are cities where racks of bicycles are sitting unused- the programs in those cities, if they exist, will soon fold. But in every city I've been in where there are such programs, I see people all over the place on bike-share bikes. If all of there experiences were so terrible, I doubt that would be the case.
Old 09-10-13, 05:02 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your daughter is a smart woman.
Old 09-10-13, 08:14 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
But it seems logical to conclude bike shares are not useful to you if you already have your own bike. My daughter's analysis was that more than 90% of the time the share program was more convenient even than using her own bike. THAT was my point.
I think a bike share program will work well in certain situations. One that your daughter described is definitely one of them. If you don't know where you end up going ahead of time, and/or if you take public transit which may or may not be bike-friendly, I'd definitely rent a shared bike and drop it off at a nearby "station" rather than take my own bike and keep looking for a secure place to lock it. Besides, if you decide to go straight home from your final destination, you'd have to retrieve your bike if you rode it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-10-13, 08:17 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Fine, a zip car is not as nice as a BMW. Changes nothing in my post. But still you rent by the 1/2 hour like a hotel room verses a home or even an apartment. It is better for people who like their equipment to be of higher quality and performance to have that quality and performance. have you ever looked at all of the rules to bike share? Sure it fine "if" there is a station close to where you want to go. But have you looked into what happens when you have a flat? You are responsible for calling customer service, you are responsible for making sure it is locked up. Those of us who love our bikes and like to ride them carry a tube or patch kit and can change a tire. By the time customer service got to you, another birthday could come and go. If the station is full and you can't check in your bike you are responsible for getting the bike to another station. I hope you aren't late for work. As I said it may have a place but it sure isn't better than having your own bike. And for those who love bikes, adequate is not good enough and putting up with is not the same as enjoying the ride. Some side reading might help with this debate:
https://www.bcycle.com/bknowledge.aspx

Look at what the renters responsibility can be if the bike isn't returned on time, if you have a flat, if you are in an accident. Better than having your own bike? Only if you don't want your own bike and are primarily a pedestrian. If I lived where one was needed I would use a folder, that fit me and what I expect in a machine or tool.
You rent hotel rooms by the half hour? Does your spouse know about this????

The whole point is, if you only need a bike occasionally for short periods, they can be helpful. Say for example you take a regional train into a central station, but you work say 4 miles away, and there is a bike station a block away from work. You can grab a bike and be at work in 5-10 minutes. Then grab a bike there and be back at your train in the same time. Probably better then hauling a 40lb folder on the train, each way, then trying to find a place to leave it at work.
Old 09-10-13, 10:17 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
You rent hotel rooms by the half hour? Does your spouse know about this????

The whole point is, if you only need a bike occasionally for short periods, they can be helpful. Say for example you take a regional train into a central station, but you work say 4 miles away, and there is a bike station a block away from work. You can grab a bike and be at work in 5-10 minutes. Then grab a bike there and be back at your train in the same time. Probably better then hauling a 40lb folder on the train, each way, then trying to find a place to leave it at work.
No to be exact, the whole point is in the very first point, the title. City bike shares better than having your own bike So no matter what Minnman says someone did say the bikes were better. I made mention of that right up front and because I like riding my bike I will stick with getting the bike you want will almost always be better than getting what a committee says is the bike for you. Being able to ride to my destination is better than riding a few blocks away. And being able to ride from my starting point is better than walking to find a bike to ride past my next destination. If I were simply a pedestrian that might not be the case because I would be walking those blocks anyway.

Like I said if you are a pedestrian at heart, sure, give it a shot. But if you are a cyclist and love to ride your bike not so much. And if simply disagreeing that the bake share is better than having your own bike fills the people with insecurity so be it, I have no dog in that fight. Sure I like having choices and I didn't say dump the programs, I said and will say as long as I can breath they are not better than having my own bike because they are not better bikes. I didn't pick the title and I wasn't attacking his daughters expertise. Being helpful is miles away from being better than the bike I choose.

Did anyway really expect a forum of people that like bikes enough to believe a city bike is a better solution than what they are willing to spend their own money on? I sure wouldn't. We can't agree on the material our bikes are made of or what saddle is best it is just as unlikely we will agree on city bikes being better that our own bikes.
Old 09-11-13, 06:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I think the modern bike share systems are great but I don't think they're better than having your own bike. I was amused at one story out of Paris: folks in one neighborhood would rent the bikes in the morning to ride downhill into town in the morning, and take the Metro uphill back home in the evening.

Originally Posted by Wogster
Say for example you take a regional train into a central station, but you work say 4 miles away, and there is a bike station a block away from work.
My goodness, that is convenient!

You can grab a bike and be at work in 5-10 minutes. Then grab a bike there and be back at your train in the same time.
Wow! Chris Froome's got nothing on you!

Probably better then hauling a 40lb folder on the train, each way, then trying to find a place to leave it at work.
There are scenarios where bike share is great and scenarios where it doesn't make sense.

Say for example that same person gets back to their suburban station that evening. They snag a bike share bike at the station, and ride out into residential land to their home. While the bike was only needed for a short period, it then sits until it's ridden back to the station the next morning, racking up rental charges. Okay, that's just silly, so the person drives to and from the suburban transit station - except now they've replaced owning their own bike with a bike share account AND a second car. So their wife drives them to the station. So now they've replaced owning their own bike with getting married. So they ride their own (their own!) 'not worth stealing' bike to the suburban transit station and leave it locked up all day every day out in the weather, and pay rental on a bike share bike in the city. Hmmm - still demonstrably better than owning a quality folder? I guess I'd allow a reasonable person to make either choice without censure.

Interestingly enough, I recently rode the regional train from the central station out to the end of the line where a company was located I needed to do business with, stepped off, activated the app that tells me where the nearest bike share kiosk was, and it said '32 miles'. I was glad I brought my (23lb, not 40lb) folder.

Last edited by tcs; 09-11-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 08:37 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Is it too late to change the title to: "City bike shares more often more convenient than using your own bike" --?

People in urban environments that meet and move spontaneously --would likely benefit from bike share programs more than having their own bike. And I don't think a "folder" bike changes anything at all. I certainly wouldn't want to drag a folder around to restaurants or clubs or wherever the group spontaneously decides to go.

If all your rides start and end at your residence, you do not need the share program. But then you don't interact much with other people or act spontaneously.

Regarding flats... you just dock it back into the nearest station and grab another bike. You find stations every few blocks.

Last edited by dbg; 09-11-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 08:48 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Is it too late to change the title to: "City bike shares more often more convenient than using your own bike" --?
Yes, it is too late. This is the internet and everything you write will be held against you and subjected to relentless reductio ad absurdum. But take heart, at least some of the crowd appreciated what you meant.
Old 09-11-13, 09:03 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
No worries, I know what the intent of your post is.

Like I said a few posts above, I can see situations where a bike share program works very well. When something is more convenient than another, it can certainly be called better.

A bike share program may never replace a bike of your own if you are an avid cyclist and/or love your bike, but I'd say people like that aren't in the majority.

Car sharing programs such as Zipcar and Car2Go are popular in urban areas because they are convenient for the city dwellers. I can't see how the same can't be said about bike share programs.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-11-13, 09:18 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
You are limited to a 30 min ride to your needed destination and it's quicker than other public transportation, lots cheaper than a cab and way more fun.
A guy here locally last summer did a ride between every station on the network in one day and never exceeded the 30 minute limit. A bit of planning that.
Old 09-11-13, 09:38 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf73
A guy here locally last summer did a ride between every station on the network in one day and never exceeded the 30 minute limit. A bit of planning that.
That's not going to be so easy (1 day) in Chicago. It would be an interesting problem to compute the optimal path (Karmarkar's algorithm anyone?)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
divvy.jpg (54.7 KB, 2 views)